/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Green meme case edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/PG4g4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/Cw4g4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/fPZQxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/xfVKM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/jJ7C9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/J3C8Cy
pcpartpicker.com/list/3McMr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn
youtu.be/J5ONXgQrdqc?t=25s
pcpartpicker.com/list/ddH42R
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

meh, just use logical increments.

that's just a general guide.

HELP ME

pcpartpicker.com/list/PG4g4C

Already decided on
>i7-7700k or i5-7600k
>Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Amp! Extreme
>1440p 144Hz monitor, probably Dell S2417DG

Aiming for 1440p/60fps.
I need help finding
>a good cooler for the CPU
>good DDR4 RAM
>appropriate power supply
>decent motherboard that works with all that

Any recommendations?

Sorry, posted too late in last thread

pcpartpicker.com/list/Cw4g4C

You sure like wasting money, don't you? Here, let me help:

>>a good cooler for the CPU
Noctua DH-15
>good DDR4 RAM
F4-4000C18D-16GTZR
>PSU
120-G1-1000-VR
>decent motherboard that works with all that
MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM LGA 2011-v3

Why there`s some mobo with the m.2 located just under the first PCIe? Isn`t it a dumb thing as m.2 can run hot and while being under the gpu there`s not much airflow. Why do they still do this?

The heat is a meme. They do their thing too fast to get hot, only operations designed to test ssd's can make them overheat. Normal usage isn't a problem.

So getting picrelated won`t be a problem even if I render alot while having a nvme m.3 ssd running under my gpu?

pcpartpicker.com/list/fPZQxY
R8/H8

pcpartpicker.com/list/xfVKM8
I just took the (semi)top results for each. Let me guess, it's absolutely terrible, right?

pretty good, only thing i'd change is remove HDD and get a bigger SSD instead. It's easier to add a drive later for storage and replacing your OS drive.

overpriced mobo unless it has specific features you want.
get a better cooler if you want a decent OC without a housefire.
get an SSD instead of a shitty old 1TB hard drive.
>buying windows
there's 3000Mhz RAM for the same price or cheaper.
check case reviews on youtube.
also if you dont do any work/render stuff an i5 is a better choice unless you want it to last a bit longer without having to upgrade.

>buying windows
That's why i said that i picked the top stuff off the lists instead of bothering to make my own, it's a meme fiesta there, also any good RAM recommendations?

use the fucking filters on pcpartpicker you nigger

>XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
There's really no need for that expensive as fuck motherboard...

Oh...I failed to read the 1st sentence.
Excuse me for being a retard.

pcpartpicker.com/list/jJ7C9W

Rate my meme machine

How are you going to update the BIOS?

With the hard drive and USB sticks I already own

PS4killer/10

Because it's convenient basically
Not true, the 950 pro for example gets to 100° within 3 minutes of writing. If you copy things in the order of hundreds of gigabytes, the heat is well worth consideration
M2 behind the motherboard is just as stupid as under the GPU

Rendering doesn't affect the storage drive

Good case?

How will you boot into BIOS to access the flash utility without a CPU?

I5 can't hold up streaming and AAA games at the same time. It's already outdated EVEN FOR GAYMEN purposes like steam stream
I would've absolutely gotten the 6700k if i were to do it again

Is Ryzen better then Intel now?

How much psu is too much psu? The total maximum wattage for this rig is about 400w. I added a 520w psu. I've seen so many people say things like "that psu is overkill for your build" in other threads with builds very similar to mine where the psu was 650w or more.

Criticize this build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/J3C8Cy

The parts are arriving Friday from NewEgg.

Best place to ask I think

I have an ASSRock mobo and it will not post

It sticks on A3 on the boot doctor LED thing, which is an IDE error but I've disconnected all drives, removed GPU and even replaced the bios battery

Is there anything else I can try?

What? Do you not see the g4560?

Hollywood confirmed this as the case of choice for those with severe clinical autism

I've also reseated the CPU and the RAM

>streaming
>current year

Ryzen 7 is better at that.

depends for what use.

too much is twice your hardware's power draw on full load after OCing.

you cant boot a kaby lake CPU without updating the BIOS first you dumbfuck.

remove all but one stick of RAM and RTFM

the drive is right next to the video card dumping a lot of heat around, can't you see?

I have, the manual states that A3 is an IDE error and it says remove all storage devices and reboot

I've done that and I get the same error

So I should get the 740 instead?

What would you suggest, I get a gaming laptop instead?
1800X is also twice the price of the i7 for arguably the same or worse gaming performance, I'm not encoding 4K movies on the daily I just want some extra threads for less than $100 over my i5
If it's not working then there's no issue in it getting hot
Also try to remember where the heat is coming from on the GPU and where it's airflow is going, it's not a big deal how hot your M2 gets unless it's throttling because of it, and if the heats only coming from your GPU and not the drive (due to overuse), then your drive won't throttle and you have nothing to worry about

>you cant boot a kaby lake CPU without updating the BIOS first you dumbfuck.
Oh. Then how do I do this?

the R7 1700 is $350 and is the same chip as the 1800X just lower clock, and can stream full HD and game at the same time without frames dropping, which the i7 cant do.

With my ryzen parts on the way the only thing left to prepare is a new isntall of windows 10. Naturally buying windows is for plebs what is Sup Forums's current preferred activator? I'd be surprised if dazloader still works and there is no way i'm giving MS money.

I could rip my existing license (a win7 one provided by dazloader) but somehow I doubt that will work.

get a b250 chipset mobo or one that can flash bios without a CPU installed.

Purpose
>Gaymen, virtual machines, rendering
Budget
>$3500ish
Country
>BurgerLand

Parts List:
CPU:
>Ryzen 7 1800x
GPUs:
>Double Asus Strix 1080tis
RAM:
>2x16gb 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPx ddr4
Motherboard:
>ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4
SSD:
>NVMe 960 Pro 1TB M.2

That's the important stuff, any improvements?

You would need a skylake CPU or some kind of driver slipstreaming USB
Or just buy a Kaby lake (200 series) board instead of a skylake one, you'll also get 2400mhz max ram speed with the Kaby lake board

A good power supply...

>What would you suggest, I get a gaming laptop instead?
Never fucking ever do this under any circumstances.

When I graduated high school in 07 I spent 2,000 on a "gaming laptop" thinking I was hot shit for college. It sits in my dresser under a mound of jeans

No, a captcha card and another machine for streaming

If you overclock just get the 1700 and do it yourselve. The 1800x exists just to plug and play as it were.

>ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4

Make sure you have at least BIOS 0902.

don't buy asus motherboards, they are cutting costs on important things, and there's also that ram speed problem on them

buy gigabyte or msi

The 7700k can't play games and stream?
The 1700 lacks an overclocking feature right? It's some bullshit turbo, and the X series is what overclocks?
Plus motherboard are too expensive right now and there's a huge used market of 6700ks, upgrade or not, ryzen is not in my near future

pcpartpicker.com/list/3McMr7

Better?

All ryzen chips are unlocked, its the motherboard tiers that determine overclocking and other features.

they can overclock, the just don't overclock as good as the X series on paper

and their tdp is quite a lot lower too

I don't record or stream to anyone but myself, does steam stream even support using capture cards? I figured since I can stream fine 95% of the time with the i5, all I would need is some extra multitasking threads and I'd be good to go?

>the i7 can't play games and stream
Are you autistic?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn

See I thought the "motherboard lottery" meme died years ago
I don't care about on paper or this CPU vs this CPU, if ryzen can offer me an overclockable motherboard AND a CPU as powerful as a 6600k with extra threads for $300 I'll grab one right now
But as of now, keeping my motherboard and buying an i7 for $300 seems like the better option

>pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn
I have a 1TB HDD and the r70 gets better performance with that processor than the 1050 ti

>The 7700k can't play games and stream?
I didnt say that, I said it drops frames, but it depends on your stream settings, low enough and u'll be fine.

>The 1700 lacks an overclocking feature right?
No. All Ryzen chips can OC with a X370 or B350 chipset mobo.

>Plus motherboard are too expensive right now
lolwut?

>there's a huge used market of 6700ks, upgrade or not, ryzen is not in my near future
that's still a good chip if you can get it for cheap, go for it.

go back to school and learn to read basic english you fucking mongoloid

470*

Its not like you need to buy a x370 board to get good overclocking - x370 just supports some stuff (like crossfire/sli) than B350 doesn't.

Graphics settings has something to do with streaming fps?
When I stream to my laptop it gets set to 60fps at 1800p and has no graphical issues, I usually play at 144fps 1440p without any issues locally, it's when the CPU gets loaded to 100% is when (the 6600k) drops frames while streaming
It's smooth as fuck for most of the time
Low graphics settings changes nothing expect it looks shittier at a standstill

Then you can use a captcha card and record directly to the same machine, what do you stream to yourself for

I play Fallout on my Mac-tier laptop while waiting for my next class

Someone pls help me fix mobo

A3 error, the last time it did this it eventually fixed itself, I've no idea how

Oh, i thought you meant streaming in the sense of Twitch, not streaming the gameplay to another machine

I'm not sure then, sorry user

>Graphics settings has something to do with streaming fps?'
did i specify graphics settings? no, again, learn to fucking read. you have stream settings aswell.

holy shit go back to Sup Forums you fucking retards

I don't have stream settings I just click "stream" when it shows up as an option on my laptop
What game settings would drastically lower CPU usage enough to stream consistently?

i could come up with some bullshit based on nothing since you didnt even post specs, or you could just fucking google and try yourself

the r470 is more expensive.

if you really want it then go ahead.

My i5 streams witcher just fine, 60fps solid
And that's half the threads as the i7

A settings doesn't change to and from being CPU dependent based on the hardware does it?
Already said I have a 6600k (4.7GHz) several times
Does the GPU even matter for streaming though?

like i said, different settings

youtu.be/J5ONXgQrdqc?t=25s

Could I have a list of the most popular / best graphic cards please? Going for a 7700K build and so far I only really know about :

>RX 480 8GB
>Some more or less equivalent nvidia GTX card with 6GB
and that's it.

But what settings would make a 6600k be able to both play games and stream?
At the moment I don't give a shit about another CPU if I can get this one to play games and stream without a hiccup every 5 minutes
If that's just physically impossible with a 6600k THEN I'll look into upgrading
Doesn't matter which brand, I don't want to give anyone $300+ unless I need to

Not prohibitively so and you're talking a frame jump of 30 fps or so for many games

Here's overwatch on ultra

>pay more money
>get more performance
buy it if u want nigga.

If you're at 1080p 60hz those are the only two GPUs you should consider
The 480 started off slightly worse than the 1060, now it's unarguably slightly better

pcpartpicker.com/list/ddH42R

I'm looking into upgrading my graphics card and a new case to fit the smaller form factor. Any further improvements I could make?

I've been eyeing R9 280(x)'s on my local craigslist and stuck between the Cooler Master N200 or Corsair 88R. Any reply or suggestion wouod be great, thanks.

And here's Battlefield one

I'm just saying it's a better fit for the Pentium chip everyone is masturbating over

>what settings
higher bitrate?

nvidia has worse price/performance, "nigga"

The prices of the 1050ti and 470 are close enough to be comparing them
The 1050 is just too low price to have competition (if you really care about price/performance, get the 1050 and accept your sub-60fps life) and the 470 really just wrecks the 1050ti for (relatively) just a little bit more money
I would definitely get the 470 over a 1050ti personally

Yeah my screen is 1080p 60hz and I don't really understand the difference with higher hz. Ultimately I just want solid 60fps.

More hz = more frames per second displayed on the screen? Can our eyes really see the difference is something goes over 60fps?

Not the 1050
The 1050 is a budget class demolisher, the 1050ti is too closely priced to "normal" GPUs to be a good buy

Don't ever ask that again until you buy a high-Hz screen, and subsequently never ask that again
Yes high Hz is absolutely worth it
Is it worth a $400 GPU and a $200+ CPU? That's your choice

yeah have fun with that 2GB VRAM

is the taichi the best am4 board right now? in terms of reliability, etc

Our eyes work best at 24fps that's why movies are made like that
48 and 72hz just doubles the frames so you're still seeing 24fps, just more 24fps
Retard

For $100 you bet your ass I would

My SSD with OS died (my WD green storage is still going strong after 7 years)

I need a new HDD for my OS, I'm leaning towards a ~2TB 7200 RPM HDD, instead of another SSD (I read Windows 7 is hard to run on 3TB+ HDD?)

Any brans/models Sup Forums recommends?
Seagate Barracuda?

>Windows 7
>SSD
You didn't do the things did you?
Windows 7 doesn't automatically optimize settings for SSDs
I bet you even had quick boot on
Defragment it many times from here on out to fix it

fuck off retard

It's not recognized, it's dead

I'm learning, haven't built a computer in 9 years.
Just read and watched a bunch of stuff about it, I got it now.

>Is it worth a $400 GPU and a $200+ CPU? That's your choice
My future CPU is already 300+, still no idea about the GPU though. I have a feeling that's something I could live by without knowing about it, but if I do end up going for a 144hz I'll never be able to come back. Sort of like trying a SDD and getting back to a HDD, but probably worse.

I have this toaster for quite a while and I'd like to upgrade it a little to reach a decent rig.
I want to be able to play Paragon, Warframe, League and maybe do a little livestreaming. Watch videos in 1080p.

550W powersupply and MB P5B-Plus from Asus socket 775. I know it only supports DDR2 so fuck me.

I have a Q9550 (Would an E5472 have been any better?)
What graphics card should I get and how many GBs and DDR3 or DDR5? (I have this shitty Radeon HD which keeps crashing on every game)
I also can get some DDR2 memory. But I'm thinking between 4GB 1066 or 8GB 800.

Should I go with speed or quantity?

post speccy ffs

g4560 + 1050ti = GOAT.