Remember what happened last time a CPU that was theoretically great couldn't work well with the software running on it...

Remember what happened last time a CPU that was theoretically great couldn't work well with the software running on it, Sup Forums?

This is what happens when you try to make a CPU a GPU.

Ryzen was just released, of course I remember.

At least Ryzen will be the superior choice for emulating Cell due to 8 physical cores.

it ended up being a household staple for nearly a decade?

Rypoo just happened.

It went on to spur many programmers into creating programs optimized for massively parallel processing and is still found in households across America today?

Also, Ryzen works fine with the software running on it. It just isn't a gayman processor, and never should have been marketed that way.

The perceived problems with Ryzen mostly apply to R7s specifically because they use 2 core complexes(CCX). The quad core R3s and R5s will most likely use only 1 CCX which completely removes the performance penalty of inter-CCX communication. It's actually not as big a problem as it seems to be.

R5 Hexas will cry for mercy though

Cell is quite an interesting beast. Poor choice for a CPU in a console meant for GAYMAN, though.

The problem with Cell wasn't that it was a shit cpu in general, but that the PS3 had a completely fucking stupid and rushed architecture, due to Microsoft catching them pants down with the X360.

They wanted a second Cell to do gpu computing, but then they had to drop that and glue in some random NVidia chip on a separate bus. That was the main reason why the console sucked as much as it did, plus the bluray drive being retarded slow to load from.

Basically Sony got cucked by Nvidia and by IBM.

Cell was okay in high performance computing. GPGPU wasn't a thing just yet at the point, only a few years later.

I've heard the infinity fabric's speed is based on the memory's clock speed. High performance memory may be all that the six and eight cores really need to completely eliminate the bottleneck on the interlink

>GPGPU wasn't a thing just yet at the point

>360 has an arch with unified shaders
>nvidia released cuda the next year

To be fair the 360's GPU was a custom design, Microsoft had ATI build the Xenos GPU using their future technology. Radeon HD 2000 series which was the first consumer cards to have unified shaders had not yet been released.

360 was a locked down game console, not a high performance GPU compute farm. That became possible once CUDA came out, and wasn't a real thing until a few years later once, you know, people started writing software for it.

So no, GPGPU was absolutely not a thing when the PS3 came out.

>They wanted a second Cell to do gpu computing, but then they had to drop that
Becuase it was retarded in the first place and discovered it had poor performance too late in the design process.

Then don't run that software on the metal. Run something else on it and run the software you want virtually. Assuming you have the resources that it.

This desu

>It just isn't a gayman processor, and never should have been marketed that way.
it's a perfectly capable gaymen CPU even before you stop windows from parking cores and even more after, so why should they not market this a processor which is also good for gaymen?

You mean one of the most longest living, best selling consoles that has a ton of games and can be still used today as a capable internet media player system?

but Sup Forums told me only ninteno has games

Cell is literally a prototype APU. What IBM was trying to do with the Cell is what AMD is currently trying to do with their APUs.

..like nehalem?

the two memory pools were separeted though

>best selling consoles
LOL not a chance even if it were why would it matter? the worste console(s) all sold the best, because of how easily hacked/modded they are.
wii, ps2

The Cell's design was way ahead of it's time in the sense that it's a lot like modern massively parallel processors like Fermi (plus successors), GCN and Larrabee. Even then it still had a lot of really retarded design choices, and if it was scaled onto a modern process node it would probably still get hammered by all three of the above.

THICC

>in order execution
lol

I want to install Debian on my PS3 super slim.
Can it be done?

also because of how hard it was to program for the Cell, game devs upgraded from pajeet level coders to japanese level ones.

>There will never be a harder console to develop for than the Saturn

it was built as a literal botnet.
there's a reason the internet service was free.
also they scaled 4 consoles to work together in order to play GT5 in 4k in imax

the ps3 is like a worldwide supercomputer, which individuals pay the internet and electricity for.

i wonder what they do with all that power... not like parallel computing it good for cracking passwords or anything.... coughcough

It found a decent, long-lived niche like pretty much every other product wannabe nerds on Sup Forums shit on because it didn't meet the goals of taking over everything they projected on it?

he is right

The cell broke the petraflop barrier in the hands of ibm. X86 is trash

>ryzen isn't gaymer cpu
>2-10% less fps while running 500% more programs at same time

cell BE failed, because it required that software written for it to be actually designed instead of hacking your way through

Remember when the first ps3's had ps1/ps2 backwards compatibility? I kick myself everyday for selling my 60gb launch model

>you still have a PS3 but the BD-drive broke.

;_;

Also kick myself for not getting into bitcoin mining either fucking knew how to do it just thought it wouldve never caught on

>X86 is trash
It was, but it's not 2005 anymore, so stop living in it.

Xeon Phi with AVX-512

did yourself a favor.
overheating junk which was made to break.
(they were made with/when capacitors were all cheap as fuck and made with a 3 month lifespan)
why do you think teh xbox had such a bad rap?
protip, it wasn't the gpu overheating. (although that does become a problem bcus of the thermal paste aging)

I ran mine constantly for folding seemed alright

Consider PCSX2.

It's actually very good.

Pic unrelated, but happy birthday umi! (Sennheiser HD598,600, Schiit (Modi+Magni) 2 Uber)

It's hard to program for but everything in HPC literally is

Cell wasn't impressive even at the time. Maybe in power consumption it was. But it wasn't more powerful than any CPU+GPU

The Xeon Phi is just a shitload of Intel Atom cores. It's not that hard depending on what the task is.

Cell BE got more software written specifically for it than ryzen ever will.

that's not how it works, stop being retarded.

lucky you
the rest of the world had to return or repair it.
capacitor plague, that's what it was called.

>can be still used today as a capable internet media player system
>can't handle x265
>PS4 cant handle x265
>only Switch can handle x255
>DOESNT FUCKING SHIP WITH BROWSER, STREAMING APPS, OR ANYTHING TO MAKE USE OF FUCKING x265

Im still mad as fuck

It could work well with the software written for it and the software was difficult to write?

bullshit

Cell was a completely new architecture, it wasn't even x86 based at all, so it was new and notoriously difficult to program for

Nobody said it was an old arch, that it was x86, nor that it was easy to program for.

>cell gets 200 mflops (if you can program for it)
>ps4 cpu cranks out a wimpy 100 mflops

if that was such a big of a deal for you why didn't you get a shield TV

The GPU in the Xbox coincided the release of DX10 and the Unified Shader arch which came out about the same time. This would see DX9 titles become playable at extreme settings and high resolutions on mid-range GPUs. The 360 is an excellent example of weak hardware with good design and software.

Anything can be done if you're not a fag about it.

So CELL was supposed to be an incredibly powerful set of "SPF"'s which would do a majority of the floating point work which was distributed via a multi-thread but single core IBM PPC unit. This required special programming to make use of, which nobody wanted to do since it was easier to make Xbox/PC games than to recreate a whole new game just for a console which most people had both of anyways. There were other limitations which caused it to be less than ideal like low memory amount and a fixed pipeline 7800GT core.

Effectively it was just too different from industry standard and that hurt it. Sony thought that they were good enough, special enough that people would prefer their hardware offering and that would be enough, but really everyone just altered their code enough to run on the 78GT/"2"-core CELL and moved on. PPC's were very very weak.

That's why when you look at PS3 vs X360 videos the PS3 is potato vision complete with jaggies, low res textures and low FPS.

If here weren't gaymers, I'd talk about it. But Sup Forums is full of gaymers if feel disgust because their stupidity and consumerism poison Sup Forums.

Yes. The Cell was just more efficient in large single point operations thats it, the basic design allowed that. It sucked at literally everything else. It was way overkill for the PS3. Still a good server CPU though.

If they don't have PS2/linux support then no.

Given you have a console with a version that supports OtherOS, yes.

>super slim
Never mind, you can't

ARM has already more market share than x86, is there a new arquitecture that i dont know about?

>Cell is literally a prototype APU. What IBM was trying to do with the Cell is what AMD is currently trying to do with their APUs.
Yes and no. Same vague idea but vastly different interpretation. You really can't compare the two.

because muh -2 fps at 640x480, goy.

actually the ps3 has no games

t. nintentoddler

BACK OFF

What do you mean? The Cell was a great processor. The USAF even made an HPC cluster with PS3's to process satellite imagery.

up

lol just use an fpga

Capacitor plague mostly hit shitty low end PC motherboards.

It's made it to some other neat stuff too, it's in TVs, PCIe cards, blade servers, etc.

>Can't even load the PSN Store without lagging like a phone from 2006
So this is the power of Cell... I'm glad Naughty Dog was the only company that actually make an effort

lets be 100% clear here sony gave no/shit documentation to gimp the cpu for years and let developers fuck around and get better over time, this was their actual plan

At the time it wasn't as cost effective as buying PS3's

Mods barely sell units do you even talk to normal people?

The old PSN store was much better. It was built into the OS and snappy as fuck.

The new PSN store is now a separate application that has to reboot the system, for what reasons Sony did this I have no fucking clue.