Can someone redpill me on standing desks...

can someone redpill me on standing desks? my back is starting to hurt after years of sitting at my computer with shit posture, will this help?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qTrn-J7e4nI?t=275
makeuseof.com/tag/4-sites-to-find-stores-going-out-of-business-and-buy-up-surplus-for-cheap-nb/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a meme + broscience.

That annoying guy in the office wearing bike shorts to meetings always has a standing desk

I'm pretty sure it's a meme

They're top tier for short duration usage patterns

Buy a good chair faggot

They can be comfy for a while, then you want to sit down and lower your desk and sit in a better chair.

It helps keep you from developing health problems like prostatitis and improves leg circulation.

Mah nigger, let me fill you in.

If you are fit already it's an easy thing. It will alleviate back pain, though for most people it is easier just to do this:

Set a timer.
Get up routinely.
Reach for the sky and touch your toes a few times to restore bloodflow.
Go back to sitting.

If anyone tells you that standing desks are inherently superior and not just a lifestyle choice that fits certain lifestyles better, they're full of shit. If you are active, it's a great choice. If you are not, it's a tossup.

Linus Torvalds uses one. Maybe it is not so much of a mene.

Going to /fit/ and learning from their greatness is more beneficial than a standing desk.

Standing for long periods of time is arguably worse than sitting. You can keep using your chair, just get up and walk around every 30 mins - 1 hour, go to the gym and work on your core and other stuff like that, back pain from sitting is largely the result of muscle imbalance. In a nut shell, do other activities.

This isn't entirely wrong.

My office has convertible desks in every cube. I typically stand an hour or two a day. I wouldn't want a full time standing desk though.

Dude weed

who is this semen demon

Get a 'desk riser' instead...
Sitting down too long is bad for you (regardless of how awesome your chair maybe).
Standing up too long is annoying...
Getting something that lets you adjust your position every now and then is slightly better (actually getting away from the desk and doing some exercise is better, but work doesn't always allow you to do so)

Just get one of these things and put it near your desk at home. Every hour or so ride it for a few minutes and do so intense intervals if you want. Dont fall for the standing meme.

what are some super comfy desktop chairs?

I think exercising and comfy chair would work better

I want to get one

This or the threadmill.

Best answers. Standing fucks your knee and veins, sitting fucks your spine and back veins, lying down fucks you up like a vege.

Find balance.

Standing desks are a meme perpetuated by slavedrivers so they can get wagecucks to never have to leave their desks to stretch their legs.

slumped king-style sitting/lying master race reporting in
a med school prof confirmed this type of sitting is best in any situation

it fucks up your spine.
unless the spine part is supported then sure, slump all you want.

no, it actually doesn't.

Pretty much this Standing still for hours on end isn't any better for your back than sitting still in the same position. In this way, a purely standing desk won't do shit for your back.
What might help your back, however, is an elevating desk (like in your picture) combined with a good office chair as well as height adjustable monitors, so you can set them at a height that works for you instead of trying to work around your monitor's height. This allows you to vary your posture, stand up, and sit down as you choose. Changing your posture up every so often is what's good for you, especially if you spend many hours every day at your desk.

But ultimately, being active is more important than good ergonomics. Even mild exercise every now and then is key, like said.

>chair continues to creak as you lean back
It's a double edged sword

rotate between both

>no, it actually doesn't.

ok.

you will stand behind it with shit posture

second hand herman miller aeron

Just my personal opinion but I think it's better to occasionally get up and take a walk.
Standing all the time is tiresome and not all that healthy either, which is why we also have walking desks now.

retail worker that stand 4-5 hours average on my shifts, sometimes in one spot. you get feet/leg cramps, doesn't matter how fit you are. it's a meme.

it's easy to avoid back pains; get a new bed or sleep on your side. you can't avoid leg cramps though if you are forced to work at standing desk for 8 hours a day.

This

My legs are still aching right now from standing 8 hours straight at a drive thru. Fuck being a wage cuck.

jesus christ, you fucking normies don't know shit

if my legs are already pretty strong from running regularly i shouldn't have any issue moving to a standing desk right? and i would likely pair it with a tall drafting chair or stool for the occasional sit break

Standing desks don't take it far enough. You're still staying mostly still, leading to stiffness and unhealthy pain.

The healthiest option is a treadmill desk. It doesn't cut concentration when you're using it and you'll end up burning an unexpected amount of calories over the course of 5-8 hours.
youtu.be/qTrn-J7e4nI?t=275

I had one of the movable ones at my previous job. It was pretty nice, helped keep me awake during the more boring parts of the day.

looks very uncomfortable. might work if you only use the computer 5min/day

This setup works better with a wireless keyboard on your legs and a wireless trackball by your side. No need for some desk monstrosity. You need a long monitor arm to extend from a stoop at the foot or your bed to a comfortable distance from your face. It works perfectly.

used

he's back to a regular desk because it was too distracting

people who bitch about sitting being the new smoking are probably lazy fucktards that are like at least 150 pounds overweight

This will help you get varicose veins alright.

I weigh 200 pounds at 6'2", hit all body parts twice a week in a custom designed heavy compound lift routine, do cardio at leasr three times per week, have a $1000 ergonomic chair and am in the best shape of my life. All because I quit sitting so much. Sitting 10 hours a day is a million times worse than smoking, that of which, I also had done for a few years and quit cold turkey. If you don't think sitting is bad you're either new, casual or have no standards. You could also be some genetic freak too I guess.

there area many things wrong with this picture, most of the, Sup Forums-related. i wont point them out but believe me guys, you don't want to listen to anything this guy says.

>my back is starting to hurt after years of sitting at my computer with shit posture, will this help?
Ain't going to fucking help.

If you have shit posture, standing will only make it worse.

Oh and also I'm not suggesting standing is better they're both dogshit. The issue isn't anything other than too many hours per day of being locked in on a computer. Exercise, taking breaks, a better chair and posture, better diet, etc is all a meme and will not in any way counter being on a computer or other sedentary behavior all day.

Remember when you're teacher kept telling you to sit up straight?
All you had to do was listen.

That whole setup looks like a meme

>Exercise, taking breaks, a better chair and posture, better diet, etc is all a meme and will not in any way counter being on a computer or other sedentary behavior all day.
You are fucking retarded.

I'm that guy who people comment has freakishly good posture. Doesn't solve the problem of being on a computer all day.

If I met you in real life I'd rip you apart, limb by limb.

Bag End is looking pretty comfy these days Mr. Frodo.

ITS TRUE!
kys faggot

honestly properly deadlifting and squating did more for my lower and middle back than anything else. you're just weak from having a sedentary lifestyle.

I like those bicycles. Are those brooks seats?

you're right, user. Thanks

nice legs desu

>broscience

no its not you fucking retard. Sitting all day is the new smoking in terms of health issues down the road.

Youre a fucking biped, theres no need for you to lay down for 8 hours a day then spend the next 16 on your ass either at work or at home on Sup Forums. Sure if you go to the gym or work out for an hour or two that helps but its not enough.

Also, you burn nearly twice the calories standing compared to sitting. When your leg muscles are active it causes the release on an enzyme called ligase which burns fat. When your legs are inactive for more than about an hour, your body stops releasing this enzyme.

It took me a month and a half to get used to it but i wouldnt go back if you paid me. Also im not bullshitting or memeing here, i learned all this from my older brother who is a medfag. Believe me or dont, i dont care, but standing desks are not broscience. Theyre still memes though

humans didn't stand all day you fucking idiot. they had downtime.

wanna learn the proper sitting technique?
THIRD
WORLD
SQUAT

they were wrong because sitting at a 130 degree angle is infinitely better for you

Get a chair slightly reclining at a 120* angle. That way more weight is placed on your entire back as opposed to your lower back.

Also try yoga and If you can't manage then start doing ab workouts. Have a strong set of abs actually protects your back.

it literally does NOT matter if you sit all day as long as you get up once in a while to stretch and get other things done. there is no reason to get a standing desk just because you cant justify getting off your ass once in a while to stretch or walk around.

This. Squats and oats motherfucker

Weightlifting will help.

Not in fucking heels like on pic, get a balance board nad automatic desk so you can switch it up. I got one at work and its nice after long hours sitting down, u can just hold "raise" button and then stand for a while and stretch

balance boards are pure meme

This. 2 breaks + lunch with walk from and to work is plenty enough moving, add some quick stretches every hour or so if you feel like it. Listen to your body. Any free time exercise is good to build core strength.

plus it's your job so you're gonna slack off
the problem isn't with wagecucks it's those of us on a computer all day and night every day
no amount of breaks and exercise can counter 10+ hours of computer use every day for years on end
most office workers are fucking twiddling their thumbs half the time, that's not as strenuous as say, coding for five hours in a row where you can't just stop what you're doing and get a happy meal

>Not just buying the best chair for computer work

Totally worth the investment

You really want an adjustable one. Just standing all day is bad a sitting apparently, well that's the new meme anyways.

I have the same chair for work, it's so nice.
I can't justify dropping over a grand on a chair though.

If you can, try to find business liquidations in your area. I bought my aeron from a failed startup for 130 dollars still in box. Apparently the startup spent 80% of it's investment on furnishings.

Holy fuck, where or what do I even look for that?

I'd honestly check your local newspaper before checking online, but this might help to. ALOT of businesses fail pretty often so it's not hard to find one for cheap

makeuseof.com/tag/4-sites-to-find-stores-going-out-of-business-and-buy-up-surplus-for-cheap-nb/

a large part of my day is spent sitting at school or in the car during my commute, i want to minimize the amount of sitting i do at home

i do have a recliner chair i use for watching movies so it's not like i would be standing constantly, just when i'm browsing/working

Exercising will probably have a bigger impact than buying a standing desk desu. But I guess if you already regularly work out and you have the money, go for it.

Nice, I've gone to police auctions before but never even considered this options.
Might even be fruitful since I live in a "tech" city.

Try to move most of your activities that you sit down for into active movement (Eg. walking or standing while using a laptop instead of sitting at a desktop) and remember to stretch if you sit for longer than an hour.

I've had one since the beginning of the year and I like it very much. I stand up during meetings and sit down for programming.

Another plus is that I am not bound to a fixed height while sitting. I regularly adjust it depending on how I feel.

I can control it via USB so scripting some schedules is trivial as fuck

What the fuck are you supposed to do with your arms?

Program?

Jew companies trying to save money on office chairs.

Love my standing desk, would never go back.

do you wear shoes at yours? and do you have adjustable ones or a high chair for sitting breaks?

Standing also causes problems.

There are jobs where people have to stand all day and they end up having fucked up feet as well.

Pretty much, everything in moderation.

If anything, 9AM to 5PM jobs are unnatural.

Humans weren't meant to take phone calls or open up spreadsheets all day long.

To be honest, people doing deadlifts in a bad way or exercising with a bad form actually fuck up their spines more often than couch potatoes.

Try to walk one mile a day. Not telling you to run or go the gym but walking one mile a day should be easier to do than acting like a newb and exercising at home since home has plenty of distractions.

If your neighborhood is safe, you can try walking around the block for example. That way, you don't need to drive to the local park.

i actually do run about 30km per week and am working up to 50, but the amount of sitting i do outside of running still fucks me and is uncomfortable

Standing at a desk for hours has been shown to be no better than sitting at a desk for hours. What you should do is get a comfy chair and make sure to get up and walk around and stretch once an hour.

Have you thought about swimming?

Low impact exercise and it is also another way to strengthen your back if the idea of lifting discourages you since lifting injuries do occur.

ergonomic chairs are amazing [if you enjoy crippling pain]

It's not standing all day vs sitting all day you fucking retard. It's being able to switch between the two regularly.

Any position is bad for your health if held for 8h straight. It's the mix that keeps you intact

You think these ergonomic meme chairs are comfortable? If they were then richfags would be having auto makers put them in their luxury vehicles but guess what? They're not. Ergonomic chairs are a meme. The luxury car industry established long ago what people want to sit in and it ain't no ergonomic meme chair and no a dxracer isn't the equivalent. You literally can't buy a proper office chair they're all dogshit.

Standing desks are the magic pill that everyone likes to claim is good. In reality it's a fucking meme for people that live a sedentary lifestyle to feel good about themselves. It's essentially a bandage over a gaping wound in our modern society of being a lazy slob.

If you actually fucking exercise, it's better to be sitting in a good chair rather than standing like a fucking buffoon. Go lift AND do some cardio. There's literally no excuse to not exercise. Simply standing at a desk will not solve for being a lazy fuck.

This user gets it. You buy a really good chair instead of the meme standing desks.

This actually seems like it could work. One of the things I couldn't "stand" about a standing desk was holding my arms in the air unsupported for hours on end. A chair like that would solve one of the major pitfalls. Also my feet always hurt. Being able to lean back like that would reduce foot pain. Probably still one gigantic meme tho...

Get one that can move up and down. I use these at work and it's a lifesaver.

Actually car seats are the ones made by ergonomist. I'm working in that field as well. The reason they are softer and seem luxury is basically just of safety purpose. In addition they are not made for sitting the whole day in them.

But I agree, most overpriced "ergonomic" chairs aren't better for your health. The key is movement. If you sit straight for 8 hours it's going to fuck you hard later on. Not only your back but also your heart, legs and even your brain. Your whole health system is going to suffer from it. What to do about it? Take walks, stretch, etc. A standing table is good too but not necessary to stand 8 hours.

They're best if they're adjustable in height. Alternating between sitting and standing is going to be better, so you're not always in the same pose. It's also beneficial to get up from your chair and stretch/move around a bit every 30 minutes to an hour.

agreed

youd be better off getting one of those low profile peddling machines if you want to stave off early death.