Cyber Security General

What sites does Sup Forums recommend for those interested in the topic of cyber security. All of the info released by Wikileaks recently is pretty fascinating stuff. I would really like to learn some of the basics to better protect help my identity online. So yeah cyber security general I guess. Post news and other cool stuff about the cyber security world.

The rest of this is sort of a blog post but it explains why I think it's pertinent to my life, so skip it if you don't care. The reason I ask is because I'm interested in starting a youtube channel and I don't want to end up doxxed. Yes I know if you don't want to get doxxed the best defense is to not make it easy and give out as little information as possible, but sometimes that is not enough. There has been some drama months ago about a youtuber who got a contact of his to help dox some people that made videos critical of him. One of these channels had less then 9k views per month and they still felt they were enough of a threat to go after him. Personally I want a little more security than what you get from just being careful with your personal info. I believe that offense is the best defense and if someone starts digging into me I want to know how to fight back. Also I am perusing a degree related to computer science right now so it might be something I could get I job in one day if I ever get competent at.

Other urls found in this thread:

thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/
defuse.ca/
gnupg.org/
emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
cpunks.wordpress.com/
schneier.com/
eff.org/
prism-break.org/en/
privacytools.io/
privacyinternational.org/
fsf.org/
cryptome.org/
intelligence101.com/
buggedplanet.info/index.php?title=Main_Page
electrospaces.blogspot.com.au/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Retaliating against someone trying to get your identity just puts you at a greater risk of getting found. Just separate everything related to YouTube from everything else and never ever cross any smallest details over. Even though getting into drama seems like the best thing to happen to a medium-small channel these days, economically.

Another thought I have about this is it's easy to get paranoid about this stuff, especially in light of recent news. Is there even a point where this isn't paranoia any more though?

Well for the channel growth it would be, but what if I just want to be a hobbyist? That's a serious concern for me. When people become dependent on youtube for their income it inevitably changes their perspective. And it seems very difficult to fully divorce your content from your life. In my op I deliberately didn't include the name of the youtuber because he's an egomaniac and is the sort of person that would google their name constantly to see if people are talking about him. But little decisions like those are something you have to make constantly if you want to preserve your anonymity. In a stream or something making mistakes is easy and the more content I put out the greater the chance I make a mistake. I can sort of imagine though that retaliating can put your identity in danger. What I'm worried about is how do I know if I have spyware on my computer that goes undetected by antivirus software? Those are the sorts of questions I have in respect to cyber security.

Another point to make is that a cyber attack can really hurt a channel. If someone gets into my account and deletes it I could lose all of my subscribers and have to start fresh. I've seen that happen before and while people usually recover it's something I would rather not happen to me.

Really I don't want to make this thread just about me though. What I have read about cyber security in the news is fascinating. The mind games that go in with in it are something that I don't think most people in the tech world are really cut out for, but I think it might be something I would do well at. Not trying to stroke my ego or anything.

then you should have left the out the stuff about you. as for not getting doxxed make sure what ever google account you use do not verify it with a cell phone number attached to your name other than that common sense will go a long way

Out of curiosity, who here has actually gone through the documents in vault 7? How much of your own research have you done? Have you read the entire press release or just skimmed through it? Do you get news on vault 7 from a secondary source? Have you find any big revelations of your own? I should have asked these questions in the op to get the ball rolling honestly. I don't make many threads.

Don't publish any details relating to your name or personal information online.

Don't use the same operating system you use personally in case you fuck up and leak personal info

Yes, this means if you start a YouTube channel (you fucking faggot), you can't monetize it and receive funds to any account linked to your name or personal details. No mailing address.

Don't allow any way for people to get your IP either.

Boom. Wow. So difficult.

really vault7 just confirmed everyone's suspicions

people aren't paranoid anymore, we all know privacy doesnt exist

at this point people are just trying to make it harder for people to look at our shit

most of the interesting reads i got though second hand. like my current favorite the malware writing guide

>Don't use the same operating system you use personally in case you fuck up and leak personal info

Do you mean I should use a virtual machine when I make videos?

>Yes, this means if you start a YouTube channel (you fucking faggot), you can't monetize it and receive funds to any account linked to your name or personal details

I don't think I follow you because I don't see how that follows the previous statement. If I ever do sell my soul for e-whore shekels though it will be when I gain a large enough following that I can actually make a modest living off of youtube. I probably won't care if I get doxxed by then because I won't be accountable by employers and I might just make it public anyways.

>Don't allow any way for people to get your IP either

You are going to have to elaborate on that point. What are ways people often make their IP visible?

I don't go balls deep like some around here. I keep I simple because I know I'll fuck it up.

I have my regular "gaming rig" computer I use for writing and media storage and whatnot. Oh that crazy user with his big computer etc.

Then for anything I want private I have another machine that I constantly use a killswitch VPN on I direct connect with and I don't contaminate with anything personal.

Care to share it? I could use a good nonfiction read.

How much does your VPN cost? I hear free ones are a bad idea.

it is a table of what to do and the reasoning behind it. i found it relatively interesting but not very engaging

thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

defuse.ca/
gnupg.org/
emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
cpunks.wordpress.com/
schneier.com/
eff.org/
prism-break.org/en/
privacytools.io/
privacyinternational.org/
fsf.org/
------------------------------------
cryptome.org/
intelligence101.com/
buggedplanet.info/index.php?title=Main_Page
electrospaces.blogspot.com.au/

VPNs in any capacity aren't private

Elaborate

What are you hiding, achmed?

My CIA aspirations. I want to learn the ways of the west for my people.

What if I want multiple online accounts that I don't want connected to each other? Do I need to use multiple VMs/Computers