/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the autism of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seiko-SNKM95-Stainless-Automatic-Canvas/dp/B00H3WT928
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
poljot24.de/en/,
ablogtowatch.com/hublot-antikythera-sunmoon-watch-hands/
amazon.com/dp/B018HTGSN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cIuYybN018WVY
amazon.co.uk/Watchmaking-George-Daniels/dp/0856677043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489595711&sr=8-1&keywords=george daniels
ebay.com/itm/NEW-KOMANDIRSKIE-K-34-VOSTOK-340610-MILITARY-MENS-WRIST-WATCH-/322204635159?hash=item4b04e49017:g:fqcAAOSw0fhXljpQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what color /wt/

black is objectively the most versatile, but just get what you like

green

Damn that looks clean.
Had any issues with the cuck axial?

Archie has been anti ultra thin lately, citing service costs, but he still pushes complicated reversos, wouldn't a reverso date or duotime cost just as much or more than a three hand ultra thin?

What did he mean by this

There's a red one too.

?

amazon.com/Seiko-SNKM95-Stainless-Automatic-Canvas/dp/B00H3WT928

is this allowed?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Not mine. I just saved it because it's my "grail" and that user has a hulk hand

>$40 extra for a red dial
Christ

This doesn't actually keep time, or am I mistaken?
That does sound pretty cool. Do you have one?

You're paying way under msrp for the other ones, but the red dial is an amazon exclusive iirc

Just memeing

Oh.

I vaguely remember a wristwatch which had a similar mechanism (or had the same result?) as the antikythera, can't remember the name though. Neat shit regardless.

Going to be heading to Japan soon, are there any neat and cheap JDM watches I could look for?

Budget is extremely tight, so I'm probably not buying anything even from the lower end, but it'll be nice to have a look, or maybe even get a preowned

Except it's real

>Arabian Prince

Vintage JDM penis quartz watches.

Buy from Julian at poljot24.de/en/, you may pay a bit more but he personally checks all his watches are working right, will be there to sort things if anything goes wrong and throws in extra straps too.

Feel free to check the forums if you don't believe me.

Turns out it was an Hublot.

ablogtowatch.com/hublot-antikythera-sunmoon-watch-hands/

Stick to Seiko penis quartz models like said unless you are willing to actually do some research.

>a bit more
>vostoks are twice the price of meranom
hmmmm

check my >memewatch

When you take into account VAT, and import tax which aren't included on meranom's prices it works out pretty similar.

no i dont but i would like to build one or something similar

and yeah it's more of a calendar

it does fucking not

Just passing by to say that ball bearing watch looks gorgeous. Are these any good?

>posts 4 pictures of a seiko 5 of NATOs

nah

>i would like to build one or something similar
that would be cool. any idea how you would do that?
it looks like it could be done with a 3d printer

Depends what you mean by good. They're made to be read by touch, for blind people.

I have seen them in person. It's neat but I can imagine people thinking you're weird as fuck if it's your only watch.

too bad these are so fucking tiny

How big is your wrist

+ZEROs
-
E
R
O
s

they're just right.

>always the same pic

Take some wrist shots faggot

Seriously
Get it together, retard

You're both idiots. The top guy is being an idiot by linking someone selling vintage watches. poljot24 is great for Strelas and Poljot Internationals, as well as servicing obscure movements but not for regular Vostoks. The 2nd guy is also being an idiot because the user the first guy was replying to specifically said he couldn't buy from Russia so he can't order from Meranom anyway.

except i wasn't replying to the user who asked about russia, but sure.

Actually these 3 guys are idiots

Look at how they can't handle my exact precision.

Just take a different pic m8. Spice it up.

This screams insecurity

well okay maybe i was exaggerating but I find them just a little too small for my fancy

I have a cushion case vostok amphibia which has roughly the same dial size, but the case is a lot bulkier, which I think looks better. I might try one again when I see one around

different people like different things, you don't have to try to fit in.
i have an snk803 and a 710 case amphibia and i like both.

> I can imagine people thinking you're weird as fuck if it's your only watch.
So it fits perfectly for me. Ordered'd.

>i'm le weird xD so quirky, i'm such a nerd

Its a shame, because I really like the look and dont want to shell out for a hamilton

Theres a slightly bigger seiko 5 sports version which would be a good fit, but it has a slightly different design that I dislike. Ah well.

His price comparison was between non-russian options, since that was a prerequisite of the previous user, so your comment didn't ague with his at all. Not that this is particularly worth talking about.

orient flight

Archieluxury is a divorced and unemployed failure living on welfare and 50USD a month from YouTube. Why do you think he has any good advice at all to give about anything? He's been living the just fuck my shit up lifestyle years before Brendan Fraiser made it a thing.

No. I'm predictable, just like the accuracy of my time piece.

Not all of us have beautiful arm hair.

>ashamed of not being hairy
if anything you'd make people jealous

Big enough to read and has a light.

Men's Digital Sports Watch LED Screen Large Face Military Watches and Waterproof Casual Luminous Simple Army Watch - Black amazon.com/dp/B018HTGSN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cIuYybN018WVY

Proofs you own it, post wrist shot

Whats that little rubber strip that holds the excess strap of a watch called?

It sheared off my Seiko, but the rest of the strap is doing fine, so I just want to replace that little thing

The keeper.

Thanks user

Now to see if anyone actually sells it standalone

My guess is not, but you could probably make one yourself or get someone who works with leather to make one for you. It is a simple loop after all.

I'm actually using a loop of duct tape, but it looks really ugly, and leather would look odd on a rubber diver.

Doubtful, just find a rubber band

I suppose. I might think about getting a black metal bracelet instead if that's the case.

Do you think it'll fit the style?

Here, see if there's a size here that's suitable. Otherwise there are rubber keepers on aliexpress or whatever.

www.ebay.com/itm/171021570402

That is some hardcore shitty machining on the case.

>inb4 it's cheap
Nigger Timex does better.

bracelets should match the finishing of the case

Thanks. Maybe I should take a trip to my local watch shop and see if they have any lying around

It was a gift, and it looks pretty nice in person. I like it.

The front of the case is actually lightly brushed, giving it a kind of satin finish unlike what you see in the photo. But yeah, I think I'll pass on the idea

I meant in color as well as machining finish

Get a Bonetto Cinturini and tell me how it is

What's the best place to buy replica's?
I just want a cheapass Nomos fake with a date display, but don't know if that even exists.

I can't stress enough that if you want to get into watch repair etc to pick this book up. I got it a few days ago and the content is very valuable

I'm guessing that came out before Daniel's book did. Else that quote is a bit inaccurate.

>practical

What is Daniels book?

amazon.co.uk/Watchmaking-George-Daniels/dp/0856677043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489595711&sr=8-1&keywords=george daniels

Is that highly regarded or something?

You are aware who George Daniels is, yes?

Are you a watchmaker?

Currently I'm a poorfag working in a factory and wanted to learn a trade that required some brains and wasn't construction-related. How muc capital does it take to become a watchmaker?

dhgate or aliexpress

rolex establishes schools around the country tuition free but the tools you will need to do it right are expemsive

>rolex establishes schools around the country tuition free but the tools you will need to do it right are expensive
How expensive?

I could probably afford $10,000 in a year or two as I live like a monk.

A decent box of mainspring winders will set you back €1K.

Used.

Whats the cheapest reliable mechanical watch guys, something simple looking.

>Seiko Alpinist is 1 second slow after 4 days

Wtf this is a $350 watch not a certified chronometer

Vostok.
Seiko 5s.
Take your pick. Chose your model.

seiko sn809

Well the fucking blizzard here in New England had one nice effect, I got a nice picture of my Explorer II in it's natural habitat.

r8 and h8.

Thank you

>anecdotal evidence
the thing is: maybe your watch was 10 seconds fast, then 10 seconds slow the next day. maybe if it was left in one specific position it would have been 30 seconds fast now.
and more importantly, maybe if you buy another one it will run much worse. with a chrono, you are 100% sure that at worse, it will be +4/-6 per day. Often better, but never worse, no matter the conditions.

snk809 i meant, the k key on my keyboard is on its last breath at the moment.
you can find it for around $50 if you look around. good, reliable mechanical watch, as are all Seiko 5s.

>maybe your watch was 10 seconds fast, then 10 seconds slow the next day.

I've been wearing it every day

>maybe if it was left in one specific position it would have been 30 seconds fast now.

Why would you leave it in a specific position that made it gain 30 seconds? It's only going to ever be stored dial up.

ebay.com/itm/NEW-KOMANDIRSKIE-K-34-VOSTOK-340610-MILITARY-MENS-WRIST-WATCH-/322204635159?hash=item4b04e49017:g:fqcAAOSw0fhXljpQ

I've decided to get this. Looks neat.

Oh.

Very nice, user.
My favorite Rolex.

No