Openchan

Could an open-source -chan work and be as popular as 4chin?
Would it even be feasible as a niche community?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/emgram769/livechan-js
github.com/lalcmellkmal/doushio
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWHC_kGfppk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You mean vichan? Cause that's a thing already and it's pretty much a 1:1 replica of Yotsuba from the end user perspective. I've seen some boards running it... but it being as popular as Sup Forums? Yea no.

It already exists

Freech.net

Kind of a shithole because of its obscurity and the fact that /intl/ derivatives make up its main userbase

Theres also Lynxchan (which I think is a fork of eight's Infinity engine but with the suspicious parts removed) that freech and endchan use

Suspicious parts?

Only reason why Sup Forums got popular was because of foreigners come here because of raids and memes. It never should have become popular.

I've never used vichan, but I was thinking about a non-centralized -chan run by the anons themselfs

you got the time to clean out all the CP that will get posted so that you don't get mails from kids protection agencies?

I disagree. Sup Forums got popular because of old Sup Forums. For a few years it was the nexus of all internet drama. Then it went to shit sadly.

Livechan is open source. (IM-like imageboard)
github.com/emgram769/livechan-js

As is doushio. (realtime posting similar to Google Wave, but imageboard-based)
github.com/lalcmellkmal/doushio

Sup Forums brought a slow number of people in to the board.
It was controlled thanks to snacks mass-banning people regularly, especially the shitty raid kiddies from FYAD on SA.

It was only when menchi tricked moot in to kicking snacks out for "not doing any work" that the site quickly went to shit in a matter of half a year.
Snacks was the only reason this site was even good.
menchi got his wish come true, Sup Forums died as a community and became a shitty content site.
Then forced anonymous destroyed the site even harder. menchi lying through the teeth about anonymous discussion, HE came up with that, neither 2ch or 2chan have anonymous discussion, just anonymous posting, go, go check them both, both have IDs of some sort. (one IDs, one 2 IP octets, used to be 3 octets, not sure why they went back an octet)

No, I'm not one of those "bring back snacks" fags either, just like moot, snacks turned in to a massive faggot. (he is a stoner interweb DJ)

WAKABA / KAREHA

>It was controlled thanks to snacks mass-banning people regularly, especially the shitty raid kiddies from FYAD on SA.
If I ever make my own imageboard I'll be sure to follow snakes advice and just be trigger happy with the banhammer for any obvious foreigners or trouble makers.

What would be the point? You can audit the source code as much as you want, you can never be sure the version running on the server is the same one. You're back down to trust on this one.

You do realize most people in this site are foreigners right? UK fags in particular.

I didn't mean foreigners as in countries, I meant people obviously from another website that think Sup Forums or whatever site you're talking about is just like their shitty website and they should bring their shitty memes or whatever with them.

Sup Forums is fuckin gay why would you want a second one

>open source, free as in freedom, and more popular than memechan :^)

> terribly organised, with tons of boards about what's essentially the same thing
> unusable without a browser extension
> not anonymous

Sup Forums will eventually run out of money, because of whatever neo internet trends and it really will go the way of the dinosaur, save for the few diehard oldfags and IRL bullied newfags who keep pouring in for some reason.
When that happens, the admin will have no choice but to FOSS Yotsuba.

Create your own board or subreddit turns into a website into fragmenting where there is less and less of a centralized culture the website as a whole can identify with. Moot added too many normalfag boards and Sup Forums is no longer viewed as an anime website, but a general purprose imageboard.

>says the guy that paid for it.

>hahaha Sup Forums is gay!
>please take my money japanese moot

>Sup Forums will eventually run out of money,
GET FUCK OUT HIRO!

>muh fragmentation
This isn't the problem do reddit. The problem of reddit is faggotory like the Sup Forums.

Oh, I tough you were another one of those people that shitposts about banning all other nationalities.

Admitelly a lot of third world fags are just autistis who heard of this cookie cooking site because of le ebin hax and horror stories, so I can't blame people for being mad at them.

There was some controversy over Jim Watkins, the current owner of eightchan mining user data with the Infinity platform. So a number of forks were created. Vid related

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VWHC_kGfppk

The main two being Lynxchan (used on endchan and freech) and InfinityNext (nextchan.org)

I rather just make my own simple engine than rely on a fork that'll be abandoned after a month.

wow (You)s are cheap on this board

Why not some kind of blockchain or other distributed Sup Forums?

>no admin
>no mods
>absolutely no moderation of any kind
>no raid protection
>no spam filter

>vichan
>pretty much a 1:1 replica of Tinyboard
ftfy

This guy gets it

It will give a whole new meaning to CPU

MUH SUPERIOR ALTERNATIVE TO 4CHIN

Sup Forums is like 06 Sup Forums

Sup Forums was always Sup Forums you newfag cuck. I'm an oldfag, I've been here since 2011 and I know what Sup Forums has always been like. Go back to re.ddit nigger.

There are already a few, including 8ch.
vichan is a buggy piece of garbage though. For example my instance cannot upload images for the thread ops and has some other issues of that type. It also has very few features, such as no landing page whatsoever and no board ribbon.

There's nntp/overchan which is related. Having a fully distributed system would be cool but also have the same problems as up/downvotes, except on steroids.

>I'm an oldfag, I've been here since 2011
>Go back to re.ddit

>I'm an oldfag,
>I've been here since 2011
I remember when Sup Forums was abhorred by literally every other board (including this one) much like Sup Forums is now, and I started browsing regularly in 09.

Fuck off newfag.

that's literally my point though

the new/oldfag dichotomy is a 5 monkeys and a ladder scenario played out over years. the only 'oldfags' there ever were posted back when the only two boards were Sup Forums and Sup Forums.

Fuck off newfag

fuck you too faget

nice to know that nothing ever changes

There have already been plenty of open source chans and they all failed and were all just as cancerous as Sup Forums. Reddit is the only place where you can have a real discussion.