/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/2ig0q0/tutorial_how_to_play_iso_game_backups_that_are/
web.archive.org/web/20160422011841/https://www.reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/2ig0q0/tutorial_how_to_play_iso_game_backups_that_are/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Emoji_and_symbols
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How do I get my AMD FX8350 into my t420 thinkpad?

How do I get Windows to stop showing thet popup window that comes up in the middle of the screen every time I plug in removable media? I set everything to "take no action" in Autoplay settings but all it did was make it so that the window only disappears after it finishes saying "scanning media".

Which is better for DDR4 RAM, CL15 @ 2666 MHz or CL14 @ CL14?

In 2012 everyone told me overclocking RAM is pointless.

Now it's 2017 and there are 3200MHz kits regularly sold and I still have 1333MHz DDR3 RAM.

Is it worth overclocking now?

Fuck, I'm stupid, CL14 @ 2133 MHz.

You can't turn off Windows hand holding features.

you can't

it's windows, you can't do anything microsoft hasn't approved of

No real, measurable difference

>No real, measurable difference
Ok ty

I swear I'm not the anime poster above me it was a RAM coincidence

Why are these high frequency kits selling like hotcakes now?

Back in 2012 no one seemed to give a shit past 1333/1600MHz even though there were 2133 "gamer" kits

How marketable are the following skills?

>Having completed this programme, learners will be able to:

>1. Adapt the use of the mainframe utilities JCL, TSO, ISPF, SDSF, and their effectiveness within the COBOL (both batch and on-line) and PL/1 programming environment.
>2. Design, Configure and Implement a DB2 environment, facilitating the integration of this database technology to the programming environment using imbedded SQL code.
>3. Design and program extensively using the business language COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language).
>4. Design and program extensively using the programming language PL/1 (Programming Language One).
>5. Operate effectively in a variety of team roles and demonstrate self-direction when completing and implementing projects

I haven't scripted for years, I'm a C guy. How do I get this working?

>Why are these high frequency kits selling like hotcakes now?
I don't know. People thinking higher number = better/faster RAM. Again, it doesn't matter, definitely not on desktop. All RAM will be more or less equivalent, just buy from companies that give lifetime warranty.

I see this is some "Certificate in Mainframe Technologies". I don't know anything extensive about this part of the industry. You're probably better off asking someone on stackexchange

Can I creampie on a thinkpad without breaking it. Its so sexy this shit. I want to do it inside the powerplug

>Why are these high frequency kits selling like hotcakes now?
The premium is not as hefty as 5 years ago anymore.

You can get 300-500MHz more for only a couple $ so most people think "why not". Maybe the lower frequency kits are sold as decoys or whatever to upsell people. I think this strategy has a name, can't remember it tho

Will full drive encryption affect my ssd lifespan negatively?

Some SSDs say they support encryption, what does it mean? How do I tell if mine does?

But that's a macbook

Is it possible to have a separate workspace running on my secondary monitor in Windows 10?

I know I can do this in Linux Mint but need to be using windows for the time being

Effectively nothing will affect your SSDs lifespan. I wouldn't bother with hardware encryption

>Will full drive encryption affect my ssd lifespan negatively?
dont think so

>Some SSDs say they support encryption, what does it mean? How do I tell if mine does?
it means that ssd has chip onboard that does the encryption so no cpu cycles are used
i think its called opal or some shit, and ssd is compatible with windows bitlocker

post what you have, google specs

With 3rd party sofware all things are possible

Is there any VM software for Windows that just werks and allows at least 1GB of VRAM to be allocated, VirtualBox would be perfect but only allowing 256mb is laughable.

I also downloaded VMware but I have been having loads of issues.

If I take the 64GB micro SD card out of my phone and use GParted to create two or three exFAT partitions, will the phone see it as multiple SD cards/partitions or will it only allow me to access the first and/or largest partition?

Galaxy S5 running Lineage OS 14.1.

Thanks
Does that additional chip make any difference battery-life wise? I doubt it would since it only gets used only when booting right?

I doubt it would, although it has nothing to do with boot. Encryption runs constantly while you're booting the volume

Hey, Sup Forums, the gpu sensors of an old ati hd 2600 stopped working after a cleaning. I reinstalled the drivers, the monitoring programs and nothing works. It says at 19C no matter what and 0 fan speed. Any ideas how to fix it? Is there any cache or something to delete from somewhere?

My little brother uses this computer', so don't tell me to get a new one.

> Python is elegant
Fuck python, had to make an ugly ass wrapper

>HD 2600
Holy fuck, get any shit tier budget GPU that sells for 50$ or less and make your little brother happy

He just watches stupid cartoons on it anyway. I will give him my computer when I a buy a new one, this summer or by the end of the year the most.

That said, please help with the actual problem.

Someone please answer. I don't want to copy over 50GB of data just to find out it doesn't work. I only have one SD card.

What is the point of this exercise?

Why is all of the software in the ubuntu software center out of date? Can I fix this?

How does buying a domain name work? I need to buy 3 of them. Do I have to pay a web hosting site to host them, and they're forfeit if I quit paying the monthly charge; or is there somewhere that I can buy them with a one time payment since I don't plan on building the websites yet?

I'm trying to find out whether or not I can partition an SD card to use one partition for music and movies and the other for backups.

Don't you have any other card to test it with?

I can't help you sorry. But for what does your brother need the temperature sensors of the card?

design a custom motherboard and chipset and cooling solution
even then you will have no battery and no graphix so make sure your custom motherboard supports pcie too

They don't get paid enough to update things.
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get upgrade

You can buy them without "websites" (I assume you mean hosting) at a lot of places.

I doubt you can buy them with a one time payment though since you need to pay yearly to keep it alive. I'd assume you can cancel your plan if you don't need it anymore, though

So I know that the shit is working properly, obviously.

I want a phone that will only allow me to use a select few applications. Whatsapp. Gmail. (Yeah fuck you I don't care). That isn't slow as shit. That does NOT have a web browser.

Cool, thanks user.

Is there any way to get apple emojis on linux?

The internet on my PC keeps disconnecting when I leave it on overnight to download stuff, and I can't quite figure out what's causing it. When I check it in the morning, there's just a question mark over the wifi symbol, and it doesn't work again until I disconnect and reconnect. It seems to happen specifically when I'm running my GPU passthrough VM, as that's what I've been trying to download stuff on (although it doesn't work in Linux either when this happens).
My motherboard is an asrock z270 killer, and I'm using the built-in wifi. Maybe that's could be causing it?
Also, my OS is Antergos if that helps.

No. I only have one micro SD. All the other ones are the normal size used for cameras.

Probably an exploit in the gateway/router firmware

I bookmarked this thread a month back or so
Got around to setting up my PS2 and those fuckers deleted everything
Is there a way back machine for this?
reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/2ig0q0/tutorial_how_to_play_iso_game_backups_that_are/

Just got an S7, it arrived a couple of hours ago.

The box it arrived with says I need to charge it for 12 hours before I first use it
Looking online it seems to be pretty disputed as a need
I need to use it pretty soon as I've been without a phone for a while after mine broke

Do I actually need to charge it for 12 solid hours? If not how long?
Will it damage the phone?

i5-7500 or r-1500x

web.archive.org/web/20160422011841/https://www.reddit.com/r/ps2/comments/2ig0q0/tutorial_how_to_play_iso_game_backups_that_are/

How will gentoo run on i7-740 12 GB ram SSD?

What's currently the most idiot-proof way to listen to internet radio stations?

A tablet?

I can buy a ps4, OR a PC with the same money. What do?

fug

If you want to gaymen on that PC you're better off with the PS4.

do you got more money to throw on the multiplayer subscription + expensive games and all this shit ?
If you don't, save money and buy a decent computer

Yeah that's definitely the most likely solution.

Russia and/or the CIA are hacking OP

Happened to me back when I was using a ATT gateway to torrent, it had known exploits and no firmware updates available

wait for benchmarks

search for the mac OS fonts maybe
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Emoji_and_symbols

Don't trust Canonical on anything. Eventually run away from everything they do, your life will be easier.

question:
do you have friends
if you do pick the platform that lets you play online with them
if not it doesn't really matter
a PC for the same cost as a PS4 will probably be lower-performing because it's not as specialized
however PC is way easier to pirate with so it can be cheaper in the long run, if you're into that sort of thing

Is it possible to bypass a view of a twitter private account and view it as public?

Dude, just turn it on.

I do not have friends

thanks, I'll go PC

trying to do anything graphical on python is generally extremely ugly and shit
t. built a basic photo editing suite in python for my a level project

i have this old windows surface pro that i have no use for and i want to use it as a small, compact laptop, though it can't really be used as that (pic rel)
Does anyone know of any tablet cases that allow you to have the tablet and the keyboard hinged together, like a laptop?

long shot but does anyone know how I might input Farsi text in Debian? I set up ibus but it just switches the keyboard input to persian layout I guess, but I have normal English letters on my keys so it's really confusing. Is there some kind of way to convert inputted romanized text into Farsi? I've seen input methods like this for Chinese pinyin but nothing for Farsi

How do I hide/highlight threads in the catalog using ccd0's Sup Forums X?

Alternatively how do I export the filter settings for the native Sup Forums catalog?

Does the GTX1080 play ball with freesync monitors?

I need to buy a new monitor, and gsync monitors are all $100-200 more than their freesync equivalents.

Additionally, is going from a pixel density of 102 to 109 doing to be a noticeable improvement? My current monitor is a 21.5" 1920x1080, I'm torn between a 23.8" and 27" 2560x1440.

Pic related, one of the monitors I was looking at.

to set up filters, go to the "filter" tab in the options menu
i know this is really difficult + counterintuitive to figure out on your own, but dont worry user im here to help u

Where do I get Windows 10 LTSB?

Universal Windows Downloader doesn't have it

Thanks. What CSS settings do I have to fuck around with to get different highlight colors for different threads?

On the topic of comparing native vs emulation/virtual performance, if I have two hard drives and don't want to bother with dual booting, boot manager settings, UEFI, etc:

Installing one OS on one hdd taking it out, and installing a second OS on another OS, should pose no problems with switching between the two hdds, right?

>leaving current job
>company laptop is a Thinkpad
>have to turn in the laptop
These feels...

well, through the magic of RTFM, I have determined that, in highlingting rules, "You can specify a class name to use with a userstyle."
So you would simply write the CSS settings to apply to that custom class.

102 and 109 ppi is practically the same
radio.com?
im sure there is an app for that too regradless of platform
if your purpose is vidya only, then get a device thats designed to do vidya only
if you dont have another computer, get a pc though
it will run buttersmooth
whichever is cheaper
browsers existed way before whatsapp, thus any phone capable of whatsapp will have a browser
ubuntu software center itself is outdated, its being phased out of gnome software

I have my windows 10 desktop connected to a tv and while it was shutting down and updating it went into sleep mode. As far as I can tell every update was successful except for 1 (which I reinstalled). I don't notice anything wrong with my os.

Should I still do a system restore?

And for the record, is the system restore point that was created for the "Windows Update" event taken the instant BEFORE the update, correct?

>submit button in quick reply window suddenly stopped working
what could be the cause?

Does UWD have Windows 10 Enterprise? I believe that's the same thing as LTSB

linux
i am trying remote in to another PC on my LAN
trying X2Go

I feel retarded, cuz I dunno which PC is client and which is server.

server runs on PC A
client runs on PC B

I use PC B to connect and control PC A
correct?

Why am I seeing this shit again? I did a complete re installation of Windows 10 and used the activator recommended both by you guys and multiple other sites. I turned off updates and all the telemetry shit to avoid this shit from happening but it obviously didn't work.

When I reboot, it is gone but a few hours later, it appears again.

How do I permanently get rid of this shit?

Any good Snapchat client alternatives?
Casper doesn't work anymore. I don't want to root my phone due to Samsung's warranty

So why can't you try it out? I'm not sure because I never thought to try that, because you could just use folders to accomplish the same thing. It's not going to ruin the sd card formatting it, so if it doesn't work just reformat and repartition it back to a single partition.

Am I goofing by majoring in Computer Engineering or should I just go down the Electrical Engineering path? I'm just ending my freshman year.

Does anyone know a free software keyboard for android where I can use t9 dictionary and numbers instead as an additional option?

I don't have google apps and fdroid is not really giving me good results.

Nah it should work fine, so long as you take all the other hardware into consideration with both OSes.

>so long as you take all the other hardware into consideration with both OSes.
Naturally. Thank you very much.

Ok, so a 27" 2560x1440 wont give me a noticeable improvement in pixel density over my current monitor. That's a minor thing.

What about the gsync/freesync issue?

go on some site where they offer jobs
look which field got more offers

welp, can't figure it out. any ideas?

Is there a way to disable restarting for updates automatically on W10 home?

I was linked instructions a while ago and followed them and it seemed to work for a while but then it restarted for an update last night anyways

Which laptop is good for around 1k?

How much could I sell my 2013 Macbook Pro 13" for?

Could some kind user please explain how to calculate a cumulative CRC on a body of plaintext?

I am extremely fucking stupid so please bear with me, I have an AMD 6300 and geforce gtx 950, a game that is coming out has a minimum requirement of AMD 6350 and NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB. Can I play this game?

>constantly see ">tfw you fell for the 16GB of RAM meme" threads
>they last for hours even though it's just meme spouting bullshit
>decide to make one of these threads for myself
>immediately get a 3 day ban

the fuck?

It will work dipshit.

you might lose 30 seconds of charge on a full battery which in the grand scheme of things is fuck all

no it will be fine
saying that, when you don't need your phone, run the battery out completely until it turns it's self off, then charge it up fully
it should help to calibrate the battery

Currently doing a class diagram exercise involving a supermarket. I am unsure about if the attribute "itemsInBasket" should be in the Customer class, or in the association class between Customer and Product which is Product Purchase. Any advice?
Or should I redesign the association class? I'm unsure of what they're used for.

Thanks man!

>not even fdroid