Tell us about your Dad Sup Forums

Tell us about your Dad Sup Forums.

>Got into the computer science hobby since the first semi-affordable computers came out.
>Was among the first internet users in Australia.
>Got my mom to use the only computer terminal in her office building to have one of the first overseas long-distance relationships over internet.
>His room is a dusty mess of wires, Arduinos, and reeks of soldering fumes.
>Runs an old clunky Japanese ThinkPad.
>Uses said ThinkPad to trade in the stock market and coding.
>Is an severely underpaid PhD desk jockey, but still finds time to go tinkering.
>Mastered coding all known languages.
>I go to him for coding advice, he's the best one I know.

I love you Dad.

Other urls found in this thread:

alumni.media.mit.edu/~sbeck/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

my dad is a firefighter who can't use computers really

he has a laptop and spends hours doing the easiest things. I wish he'd switch to macOS cause it would be way easier for him but he spent years learning windows so i guess its too late.

I'm currently 21 btw
>got into computers at a very young age
>grew up on my dads thinkpads
>dad would rip games from CDs and I would trade it with class mates for their games
>dad was an IT manager for multiple companies which caused him to travel a lot
>he got all the fun toys from his work, like old Sun servers
>my brother and I got into programming and server stuff
>father gets us a laptop with red hat on it
>learn GNU/Linux
>Dad hosted a server at his work for us
ugh I love you Dad
>pic related, my dad and me

plus my father is an EMT (as seen in pic on chest)
I also ended up as an EMT and head of the computer committee

My dad is a drunk

Pinball and Paint.

Life was so much simpler back then.

Mechanical engineer, project leader in the r&d dept. of an agricultural machinery manufacturer.

Actually I lied. He works for Nintendo.

Gib cheat codes

Amen, I still smile when I hear pinball start up

tfw your children dox you

>tfw my dad was a literal rocket scientist back in the day

My dad works at a gas station

my dad ran away when i was born

I love OP's dad.

my dad hates technology. he's a retired lawyer.

Laid off from head of security at a bank.

This was 90s Russia so it wasn't just a mall cop job.

He died when I was 7.

>Tell us about your Dad
A worthless drunk. Best thing he did for me was die when I was seven. I'm not a dead-head drunk. Ma wasn't as big a drunk, but a dead-head still.

I've tamed him to use Linux. He loves it.

Hey OP could you ask him what the best communication protocol between two or more arduino's would be? Am trying to set up a PIR to trigger a video but its not fleshed out completely. Need to have one trigger and the other to increment a counter to finish and trigger another video.

Anyway it'd be handy to know which protocol to use. I bought a wifi connecter for the arduino and a nrf antennae but I don't know if that will work. 2 Uno's or a Uno and a Nano. Got a cheap Nano which is bricking on me but could be a shitty sodder (we call it solder in Ireland) job

My dad's a physicist at the INL. He helped me with math and shit growing up and I thank him for it. Computers where never really his thing but he could get around them fairly easily. He still uses an old XP desktop he's had for God knows how long. He recently asked me about programming in R and I'm helping him set that up on his PC. I love him to death.

alumni.media.mit.edu/~sbeck/

this is all I know desu

>dox'd

He owns and runs a construction business. Mostly government contract work so during the recession his business was not affected in the slightest.

My Father got me my first IT job, he knew the CTO of another business that also contracts for the government that installs all the new computers, printers, network equipment, servers, etc. in new buildings and provides supports on them for a few years. I still had to send in my resume (which was shit) and do some short interview but it was literally a formality and I got into a job that required Associates and CCNA minimum with just High School education and my self-taught computer skills. So yea, my Dad is pretty awesome for getting me that job that started my IT career.

My dad is a construction engineer and a pretty good "all arounder" like how a lot of guys are. He grew up on a farm and his dad died when he was young. He's a great guy and never really did me wrong.

Dad always shunned and hated on video games and computers because I spent a lot of time on it as a kid and teenager instead of going out playing football like my older brother. He obviously thought they ruined me because when my sister had a kid and she let the kid play games he was angry and pretty much said video games ruins kids.

I started lifting weights at 18, got a pretty girlfriend and after 1-2 years I got quite fit (I was never fat, just normal) and he stopped shunning games whenever they were brought up. Now at 26 I have a uni education, a stable high-paying job, good looking girlfriend and a great body whereas my brother turned skinny fat and works in a kindergarden (nothing wrong with that btw) so his hate has died down over the years.

Seeing how everybody elses dad encouraged them it's kind of hard to think that I still ended up in IT with my dad shunning computers and video games.

>doesn't care much about computers
>used an iPhone 4 for like 4 years, then took my sister's iPhone 6 as a hand me down so that my sister could use his upgrade credit
>uses some HP Windows laptop from his work with a dock and dual monitors, but he only used one monitor for the longest time until me and my mom bought him a desk monitor mount for Father's day and switched one of the monitors with the same model as the other (they're weren't matching models originally, but the new monitor was free because my dad just had to request it from his work) so that both monitors used display port and would connect automatically when he put his laptop in the dock
>he thinks I'm some computer genius because I know how to Google solutions to common problems
>but I'm trying to convince him to make my sister the family's "tech support" because she has to learn to code for her major

Dad's a doctor but when I was a kid I thought he was a mechanic because he always did all the work on our cars.

My Dad was a Journeyman Electrician growing up. He always disregarded a lot of technology outside of the TV. He never had an issue with me learning computers or spending a lot of time on them, but he never took it upon himself to learn anything.

He got his Bachelors in Business in his 50's after 10+ years of going to night-school and after a couple of years working in an office setting at the Electrician's Union he actually really embraces technology. He's sort of become the go-to guy in the office for simple IT problems and figured out that he really has a knack for the stuff. Nothing crazy like programming, but I realized my Dad setup a pfSense router/firewall at his house and is making his own NAS. Pretty cool stuff and it's nice to share an interest with my Father now that he is getting older.

Dad was old (41) when I was born.

Born a hillbilly, in appalachia, real-deal southern gothic desperation shit.

Maybe got through 10th grade.

Made his way to Dallas in his early 20's, working for a mortician.

By the time I was born he owned a funeral parlor and a car dealership.

Was a natural engineer, just self-taught.

Had his companies computerized way before that was normal, nothing high-tech or like, server engineering but, enjoyed building computers and databases.Like, for fun. Loved HAM radio, scuba, anything technical was fun to him. His friends - mostly city guys - thought he was a real resource in terms of practical stuff. Cool guys constantly coming over and working on little projects with him.

I was his helper. Life was good.

Mom went crazy, refused treatment, divorced him. Dragged out, was irrationally executed through woman-friendly courts, destroyed everything he built. Destroyed him. Tried to erase who he was from my memory. Shat on anything he and I did together, threw away all of his stuff or sold it for pennies on the dollar. He died when I was 22.

I think that the years from when my Mom went crazy to when he died cost him at a rate of 2 or 3 years to one actual. And he was hillbilly strong. It was bad.

Now I own my own business (niche services) with my oldest friend. Use digital and automation to run it smart.

I build computers (nothing expert - I just like clean systems) - for my friends and like building websites.

Not an engineer like my Dad was but, kind of handy. Like HAM, build rifles, reload. My friends and their kids love me. What I don't tell them is that I'm just trying to be half of who/what my Dad was.

-------

It's cool Dad. I'm ok, and happy. I've built my life like I was checking with you while putting together some old x286 PC or running a loading press. Miss you. Love you. I'm dialed-in because of you. Your name is good. You built a good system - still stable. Can't wait to see you again.

my father is a drunk. i rarely have ever seen him sober.

Was cool into you became all "hi dad I love you".

I understand that, as a nigger, you can't understand missing something you never had.

No, not a job, or being able to read. A father.

>Raging alcoholic computer programmer
>Taught me basics of software development and computer science
>Introduced me to drugs in a way that helped me not get addicted later in life
>Despite working two jobs and dealing with alcoholism, still was present as a father
>Great father imo

I'm honestly surprised you can type and not scuff the shoes you bought with your government check at the same time.

My dad was in the army national guard until 2011, then used his GI bill for college. While in the army, he did construction jobs and odd jobs for cash.

He knows how to use Windows so that's a start, while my step-mom is dumb enough to download stupid shit like those "toolbar smileys" and shit like that. My dad finally told her to stop doing that shit and she did when my dad got a windows 8 computer. He doesn't know how to code or anything crazy, just use Microsoft Office for spreadsheets and powerpoints. His desktop just has 2 gigs of ram but that's all you need for work

This campfire kumbaya thread.

Had to check my calendar if it was Father Day