Tfw just paid the GSync tax

>tfw just paid the GSync tax
>$400 TN 144Hz 1440P monitor

That shit better be 27 imperial inches

>TN
Into the trash it goes

What is better? Cheap 75Hz IPS or high-end TN? The reviews I've read on this monitor say it's 95% as good as an IPS after calibration.

It's 24". The 27" model is obnoxiously overpriced and too big for my space.

got the regular DELL U2515H 1440p, works great.

I'm going to buy 2 of those.
I honestly don't care about IPS/TN, I've used an old ass TN panel for years.
Granted I know the colors are better on an IPS Display, but they (Dell S2716DG) are already expensive enough, especially when going for duals, I don't need to drop another 500 for IPS when it's not my primary selling point.
As I said, i know the IPS colors are better, but honestly i don't give a damn anymore.
I originally planned to buy an ultrawide but figured they are not ready yet and a good 27" TN panel seemed to be a good alternative.
Besides that, i don't do anything besides gaming and programming (and more the latter), so i really don't care about features aimed at high end gaming or professional design.

>The reviews I've read on this monitor say it's 95% as good as an IPS after calibration.

Then why do you think IPS exists at all, fag?

>bought a 24" 4K/60hz IPS
>it's freesync
Still a great monitor for $350, and chances are I'll move away from nvidia sooner or later. I'm not going to pay the jewsync tax

Yeah, I will probably send it back, buy a freesync ips, and wait for Vega.

I was going to get a 1080ti to go with it, but Nvidia is just too expensive and it's silly to pay that much for a TN panel now that I think about it.

For people that do color sensitive work. Believe it or not your eyes adjust to the colors on your monitor over time.

I had the Asus Mg278q, 144hz TN Freesync Monitor.

It has an 8-bit panel so the colors were good for a TN panel but it in the end it didn't matter because of the terrible viewing angles.

Ended up sending it back and i'm gonna stick with my U2515h for a bit more.

Because viewing angles are a powerful meme
High end to vs high end IPS they're really the same color gamut (look up videos and reviews before you start memeing me)
TN has much better contrast over IPS
Cheaper and faster pixel response
If you actually read about comparisons and tests at all you'd already know that in the high end, they're more competitive than just "TN IS A MEME! MEME MEME MEME!"

>because of the terrible viewing angles.
Are you looking at it sideways or what? I don't get this argument. Yes TN viewing angles are awful. I'm currently staring at a TN panel which doesn't even shift colors slightly in any real life angle.

>What is better? Cheap 75Hz IPS or high-end TN? The reviews I've read on this monitor say it's 95% as good as an IPS after calibration.
If you're buying an IPS, get a 60Hz panel, no reason to pay any more on a 75Hz panel when most can be overclocked to 75Hz easily.

What do you mean by high end TN?

TN's weakness is gamma shift and that alone, there's no washed out colors or any other sort of nonsense that you read on Sup Forums. It can be calibrated to display accurate colors but the viewing angles will be the real limitation.

>Use my TN monitor as a literal TV in living room
>still don't notice viewing angle issues from day to day

The one I was looking at (Lenovo Li2364d) was only $99 on Amazon and already 75Hz.

On a related topic, my PA246q died yesterday.
Should I get another decent 24" or sidegrade to 27" with pleb-tier srgb gamut?
PA279q or U2713 are way out of my budget and I can only find bad condition used U2711 in my shithole.

I was looking at it straight on but even in the perfect zone the colors on the top end and bottom end of the monitor would distort enough that i'd notice it.

I knew about this issue and thought i could deal with it, but i just couldn't.

Monitors over $80 do not have this problem

>TN
I've spent less on 48" TV, and that was $400 CDN.

I've tried using TNs for desktop use and they are fucking terrible. You always notice the off-angle color shift even if it's right at the top or bottom of the screen. Turn your head just a little bit and the whole screen is fucked.

>ITT: It sounds like TN IS FATE WORSE THAN DEATH is finally wearing off of Sup Forums after a decade.

Also, just bought a 1080 TI and been out of stalkan specs and shit so give me your >opinions.
I have a chinky QHD IPS 144hz 27" that I bought like 4 years ago, but I've always felt like it was too big for sitting a foot or two away from. Great color reproduction but I do coding, spreadsheets, and game, so don't really give a fuck about perfect color.

How big of a deal is Gsync from anyone who can compare vs not having it?

Would more than 2560 x 1440 be retarded for a 24"?
>It doesn't look like they make many so I'm guessing yes.

Curved monitors retarded? Legit replacement for 3 monitors?

>Anything else I need to look for? OLED shit is the big shit in tvs. Quick searching doesn't yield much for OLED minotaurs.

>TN

144tists are literally fucking cunt hole cancer.

I also want OP's monitor.

Also for the people saying that TN is shit.
The backlight bleed and gloss on your IPS are worse.

>Bottle of mtn dew
Tripfiltered.

If all you've ever used is shitty IPS, sure. I've been using a quality Dell UltraSharp 24" for 10 years. Even the best TN panel looks like ass to me.

>Calling a plastic 2-liter a bottle.

It's a QNIX that every site (as well as Sup Forums) I looked at had reviewed as equal or better to the Dell for a fourth of the price.
I can tell a difference from the 27" Lenovo IPS I received from work and never calibrated, BUT my old (2006-07?) 23" Dell TN is like 99% there, with faster response time too.
>Upgraded because of angle, heat created, and it's fucking heavy.

I only use one monitor due to the size of my desk. Would a TN panel be fine for me? I heard it's better for gaming anyway.

I just paid 550 for an Acer 1440p 165hz ips gsync monitor. Did I do OK? Planning to pair it with a 1080ti.

high end 144 Hz TN is better for gaming by far. and it should be pointed out that the cheapest IPS are bullshit 6 bit panels (they're supposed to be 8-10 bit)

yeah that's baller as fuck as long as you got a defect-free unit

Ok good. I'm just waiting for the monitor to arrive next week. Just waiting for the 1080ti after market cards to come out, gonna have a really nice setup hopefully.

I have one of those.
It's actually a very nice monitor
Dell has good quality control compared to Asus or Acer.
After calibration it's about 90% on par with an ips.
Pic are the settings I used.

>165hz
with 5 seconds of input lag, hope you enjoy ghosting/out of sync audio

Eh I'll probably keep it at 144 anyways.

I have an s2716dg too, I love it. Sure, IPS would be a bit better, but it's high enough quality that it's still better than most low end to mid range IPS panels.

When your playing at 144hz the reasoning for adaptive sync decreases. More importantly though why the hell didnt you go the extra mile and get one with a ips panel

If you have a problem with paying the gsync tax you shouldn't have bought nvidia.

Adaptive sync is the fucking tits and everyone needs it.

Read

Fuck i meant

Read

How does having it at 165hz cause loads of input lag but 144hz doesn't?

Is the asus monitor just that shit? I was thinking of getting it to upgrade my aoc g2460pg.

Sure, when you're at 144hz. Even a 1080ti doesn't get 144hz at ultra on all games though. Some games, particularly console ports, are so shit they don't even get consistent 30fps on high end gpus. Adaptive sync makes it bearable.

Unfortunately though adaptive sync doesnt do much in terms of making the low framerate better. Low framerate is low framerate. However it could technically smoothen it out since its on the down low. I just forgot what feature they have for that. Also one benefit of gysnc is that games that are capped to 60hz, will have no screen tearing

I hate how far the Gsync tax goes. Trying to get a decent 4k 60hz ips gsync monitor shouldn't cost more than $700, but it goes up to $1100 unless you want to gamble with Acer, which only lowers that number to $900. I hate it.

Its actually kind of funny if not sad with how much of a jew nvidia is. Incase it wasnt already heard nvidias gsync feature is also already on laptops. But instead of using a proprietary chip. They just use the same technology freesync is using

It is sad. I'm trying to buy a 4k 60hz monitor and, at 4k 60hz, nvidia is not even trying to be competitive. Most of these monitors are either worse, equal, or only marginally better than their non-gsync competitors. It really sucks.

>TN

>tfw bought a 230€ 1440p 60Hz IPS screen

A $400 TN display is better than a $400 IPS display. Believe it or not, there are good TN panels. They're not for color sensitive work obviously but for everyday use they are fine. On a desktop grade TN monitor you won't notice any viewing angle problems.

>TN
tfw I've been preaching about IPS without realizing that the Acer S242HLCBID I've been using for 4 years is actually TN. Thinking about it now, I have never seen an IPS panel in person

spill the beans u faggot

>Thinking about it now, I have never seen an IPS panel in person
most decent smartphones are IPS. some are OLED but you can easily google the smartphone model to see which display it has

I have never owned a smartphone or any touch device and I can't recall using one either. I guess I've looked at some when people showed me photos they made but that's it.

No that user didn't know what he was talking about. The Acer monitor is fine. The input lag is really low. However you may have to play the panel lottery if you get a dud.

>imperial inches
>SSD drive
>ATM machine
>Apple fag

GSync is only good for ULMB

that shit hurts my eyes

>still waiting for a 4k, 144Hz, IPS, G-Sync monitor
>need games but also need color accuracy for work

Does Sup Forums encountered any screen goes blank and entering powers saving mode eventhough already turn off the power saving shit in the monitor and switch to high performance on windows 10 when gaming? Dell s2417dg here, literally just happened to me 2 days ago while playing dead rising 1 and really HD remake, I dunno whats the problem is. Any recommendation?

Every single example screen of Windows10 has that "Recommended: Cars Fast as Lightning" adware thing. Is that really what you 10s have to deal with?

Why the fuck would you buy a TN? Fucking retard. Once you have tried IPS/PLS you will never go back and they aren't even that expensive. Picked up my PLS monitor for 150 bucks

they should make displays with pixels that do cubic interpolation over time instead of sample and hold

You can disable it, but it being on by default sickens me. Every time i try to get back into Windows 10, I get so disgusted that I go back to Ubuntu (or Windows 7 if it is my gaming machine). I'm going to be forced to install Windows 10 for my next build though...

Does Sup Forums encountered any screen goes blank and entering powers saving mode eventhough already turn off the power saving shit in the monitor and switch to high performance on windows 10 when gaming? Dell s2417dg here, literally just happened to me 2 days ago while playing dead rising 1 and resident evil HD remake, I dunno whats the problem is. Any recommendation

>disable
Excuse me for potentially sounding paranoid but I think its default presence and my experience with 8 justifies it. Does "disable" here mean "remove" or "hide"?

Most likely hide. I have no idea if turning off the feature stops it from checking the store (Since those ads come from the store itself).

>digital vibrance : 70%
You are fucking scum

reminder to turn off gsync and turn on ulmb

Are you stupid or you just don't know what you're talking about?

If you never have your games drop below 120, yes, the turn on ULMB. But you'll still see tearing with either sync solution turned off if your game has an FPS output different than your monitor's refresh rate.

The majority of my games don't get fps as low as 60 fps or as high as 120 fps. Considering I'd have to alter my settings or deal with 60hz to enjoy ULMB, I leave it off
Gsync is less hassle, I don't need to try to achieve a certain fps while using it
But the games that do hold a consistent 120fps, those are great for using ULMB with, I just hate having to change several settings on my monitor each time I load up that game

chuckled

>wanting to pay +$100 for an IPS panel
Unless you're a designer or web developer who requires absolute color fastness, it's thrown out money.

>slower than TN
>LED illumination
>viewing angle issues are almost entirely eliminated

tfw just bought the ASUS MG278Q

Feels great man.

Will I notice a difference between 157 PPI and 185 PPI on a desktop monitor? I want a 4k display but there's a 28" and a 23.8" for the same price… can't decide!

I can't notice any difference between 78PPI (27" 1080p) and my phone

Surely an exaggeration.

>I can't notice any difference between 78PPI (27" 1080p) and my phone

woah, go to the eye doctor

Don't tell me you sit closer than a meter away from your monitor

>slower than tn
Only in response times which is already miniscule
>led illumination
I will give you that one. Even worse is the backlight bleed on the 144hz ips models. However in the end they both have shitty contrast level