Tfw my Raspberry Pi has more cores than my laptop

>Tfw my Raspberry Pi has more cores than my laptop
When will laptops stop being corelets? Will AMD finally give us proper, low wattage quad core CPUs in 13 inch laptops with Raven Ridge?

Other urls found in this thread:

browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/7449385
browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8246152
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

Okay nice

>not building a raspberry pi laptop

I plan on doing it but I'm shit at building stuff

are the 15w CPUs that match a 2500 (both in multicore and single core) and the 45w properly cooked quad core laptops that match a modern desktop i5 not good enough for you?

why don't you just load a normie OS onto your pi and tell us how that goes
Raven ridge is nice but there is no indication that it's happening anytime soon. Kaby Lake drastically reduced power draw from laptops and coffee lake (which is planned to ship in laptops THIS YEAR) intends to keep up the power savings
Plus thunderbolt 3 proprietaryness and the race for low power basically hands the small laptop market to Intel
Expect Raven ridge on 14" laptops and bigger, I can't imagine anybody would try to make a 13" gaming laptop and thus need an APU over a low-tdp CPU
Raven ridge looks good though, I just think it's too late to make a stand in 13" laptop land

I don't think you understand how this stuff works.

>why don't you just load a normie OS onto your pi and tell us how that goes
Goes pretty well considering that I'm running Debian on it and use it to emulate Nintendo 64 games, what's your point?

I said normie os
If you're booting Debian then why the fuck do you care how many cores your laptop has?

I don't think you know what a Raspberry Pi is, I'm obviously not going to use it for something that would require 4 cores on an actual laptop

So then why did you get the pi with more cores than your laptop
This sounds like a (you) problem
My corelet laptop has no troubles

So are you actually complaining that your pi has too many cores in relation to other things you've decided to buy?

So then clearly your laptop is more powerful despite being a corelet
The entire premise of your thread is flawed

To be fair you're seriously underestimating how powerful x86 processors have become.

i3-7100U
>2 physical x86 kabylake cores @ 2.4 GHz
>GB3 multi-FP: 6,175

Snapoven 410
>4 physical ARM A53 cores @ 1.2 GHz
>GB3 multi-FP: 1,278

So essentially you would need to somehow have 4 A53 cores run at 5.8 GHz just to match a tablet i3-7100U processor.

browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/7449385
browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8246152

Not even gonna talk about how massively dogshit single thread performance is on ARM cores.

Anyway seeing how well ryzen voltage scales I do expect raven ridge will bring us low wattage quad-core APUs for tablets not laptops. Laptops will probably get 6-8 core raven ridge APUs.

Ryzen tops out at 4.0GHz regardless of the voltage
Nobody has seen their low voltage lineup performance what the fuck kind of question is that?

The average passive tablet has a TDP of LESS than 5w
If AMD can pull that off good for them but like I said, the immense power savings that Intel has been focusing on for the last few years puts them at a stark advantage
15w dual cores that match a 2500? That's right now, either and has to make their APUs low power (which would mean low threads most likely to make room for the POLARIS-TIER APU GRAPHICS they're banking on), or end up stuck in the oversized gaming laptop market (which at that point would just have a GPU)
It's just very unlikely that Raven ridge will be in small laptops or tablets at all, with Intel pushing into that specific market, the thin/light meme getting pushed as far as it'll go, and battery life making the decision between $1000 laptops for consumers

Alright what I'm trying to say is the rampant undervolting that many have been doing with ryzen points to the possibility of very low voltage tablet chips being released that are more energy efficient than anything intel has to offer.

In theory AMD could whip out an 8-core 15 watt tablet chip clocked at 1-2 GHz and massively outperform a 2-core 15-watt intel i3 clocked at 2.4 GHz like the i3-7100U

Also I should specify that when I say tablets I'm referring to the big ones like the SP4 which sports a 2-core 15 watt i7-6600U (2.6 GHz - 3.2 GHz).

Yeah and even those tablets are 15w max TDP (the surface is active cooled I believe?)
I seriously doubt that multicore will be very useful for tablets which are generally used for one task at a time, a dual core 15w chip at 3.0-3.5GHz (quad thread load to single thread), it would be nice to see but without single core performance you lose a lot of the market that wants plug-n-play performance. I just think that unless AMD can pull some serious power savings out of their ass (and I don't think a 6-8 core low clock APU is a good idea for that whatsoever) then small laptops would need a cooler chip, and large laptops would already have space for a full GPU
I'm not saying the zen architecture itself is bad, or that mobile-tier zen CPUs with discrete GPUs would be a bad gaming laptop alternative, I'm just saying that extremely low power draw is the most critical factor to the success of Raven Ridge APUs

>tablet chip
>15 watts

neck yourself

To the success of the mobile Raven ridge APUs*
The desktop ones will obviously have a solid market in the ITX and smaller console killer niche

I dunno man, single thread performance seems to matter less and less every year desu.

I would pay good money for a 8-core quiet tablet pc with double the multi-core performance of all the 2-core shitbird tablets out there.

Also AMD is only like 5% behind kabylake single threaded performance at the same frequency.

>what is the surface pro series
Dumbass

Why do you keep talking about desktop CPUs?
The mobile Kaby lake and desktop Kaby lake architecture perform much differently and and hasn't had a powerful APU like Zen/Polaris before, neither have they particularly done well with power draw in the past (irrelevant since zen "changed everything") but still Intel has been incrementally lowering power draw in the mobile line, I can't imagine that's easy for amd to do even with a 5 year gap between their last architecture
I'm just saying Raven Ridge is positioned in a dangerous place, with Intel fighting from the small size end and discrete GPUs fighting from the bigger size end
Power draw is important, that's all I'm saying, nothing about performance specifically because we have no idea of mobile-tier zen performance (and neither do you, you can make implications about a desktop CPU to apply to a mobile line that doesn't even exist at the moment)

yet any laptop from the last 5 years is a magnitude more powerful in every metric.

Alright alright, guess we all have to be waitfags one more time to see if AMD delivers. Good talking with you m8, a long time ago you would have been an amazing internet friend on myspace.

Ryzen uses less power then Kaby Lake.