Dell XPS 13 9350 Coil Whine/Overheating

Just bought a Dell XPS 13 9350 last week.
Initially I loved this device. Then I noticed a significant coil whine. Furthermore the CPU temp spikes constantly above 80C, even reaching above 90 at times.

I contacted Dell support about the coil whine and they have scheduled a technician to come to my house to replace the motherboard (which should fix the issue), but I don't think I can do it Sup Forums....

Should I just return this fucker to Costco and shell out $600 more for a 13''mbp while I still have the chance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QBNP5I2y668
bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-13-3-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-solid-state-drive-dark-ash-silver/5713178.p?skuId=5713178
m.youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw
asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-Zenbook-UX310UQ/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>the CPU temp spikes constantly above 80C, even reaching above 90 at times.

thats normal tbqh .. is this your first laptop?!

This is common for the XPS. You should just get the Macbook instead.

This

>it's a "all laptops have poor cooling and is normal for them to run at Housefire™ temperatures just opening notepad.exe" thread

industry standard

at least it saves you costs on heating when oyu have one of these in your bed during a cold winter night

>Furthermore the CPU temp spikes constantly above 80C, even reaching above 90 at times.
>shell out $600 more for a 13''mbp

lmao

2 rupees have been deposited into your Apple Affiliate account Suhkdeep.

The coil whine is a very real problem for XPS laptops baka.

I must have gotten lucky, no problem with mine. Though I did update all of the drivers when I first got mine.

I adore my XPS15, but, it pisses me off that sometimes it gets loud. It never used to till some BIOS updates, but, recent ones "Fixed" it. Also, it gets so fuckng hot playing games.

>but I don't think I can do it Sup Forums....
Do what? Make a thinly veiled MBP shill thread?

Most laptops come slightly over volted at stock just be sure that the processor is getting enough power because the whole silicon lottery thing. You can get lower temps and better battery life by under volting. youtube.com/watch?v=QBNP5I2y668

try replacing the thermal paste and maybe clean out the dust
>have a hp laptop
>reaches above 90C under load
>50-60C idle
>replaced thermal paste
>no dust though
>60C under load
>idle 35-40C
try that it might help
i still dont understand how replacing the thermal paste dropped it by 20-30C

Motherfucker, you can return it for any reason within 21 days. It also has a goddamn warranty as you found out. 3 times for the same issue and you get a new laptop.

XPS 13 9360 owner here. Either I got lucky or they fixed it between generations, I experience no coil whine. CPU temps aren't awful, but I replaced the stock thermal paste the day after I got it, I'm not sure how it would've been.

>mfw everything's been fine so far
>year long warranty about to end next month

Dell said they're fixing the coil whine issue, so you probably bought one after they fixed it.

Try under-volting and replacing the thermal paste to fix the CPU temps. For the coil whine, check for a bios update. That went a long way to make mine perfect. The Dell XPS 13 really is a phenomenal laptop.

i keep hearing about this coil whine and it's makign em look for other options. I was going for the 13 thinking it wouldn't be bad as the 15

The XPS 13 is beat by the HP Spectre x360

>Coil whine
That's a lottery with XPS. Either you've got it or you don't.

>80c
That's not normal. You probably have improper heatsink contact.

After the technician replaces the board and you're happy the coil whine is gone you can proceed to replacing the thermal paste.

i got a chinkpad and am extremely glad i didnt fall for the dellbook air meme

>i still dont understand how replacing the thermal paste dropped it by 20-30C

Because the application at the factory is usually way too much of the very lowest quality paste.

>He bought an XPS without the extended warranty

Brave.

Been looking at these. I want a convertible with pen support (so that I can never use it as a drawing device nor fold the screen back ever and end up wishing I hadn't sacrificed power for gimmicks) and these have a much better processor than the XPS 13 2-in-1 with its rebranded Core M, along with allegedly a nicer keyboard to type on.

Major letdowns concern me though: no fingerprint reader, which will make Lastpass a pain to use, the latest model has regressed to 1080p unless you get the enormous 15 incher (ooer missus), and they keep insisting on going their own way with the trackpad instead of using Windows Precision like everyone else.

I wish there was just basically a perfect convertible. There's always some dumb compromise.

*cough*

bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-13-3-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-solid-state-drive-dark-ash-silver/5713178.p?skuId=5713178

Dunno if you can use the IR windows hello cameras but there's that.

I got the Lenovo Yoga 710. (14")

built like a tank and had only one issue, cpu fan was constantly on. I downloaded a profile for notebook fan control which I found on reddit. Not had an issue since

I did a 4 min review on the laptop here;
m.youtube.com/watch?v=20bcBjXAXUw

I sit corrected, though also in the UK (we just get the scraps you throw us) where 4K on this year's 13" model is rare at best. There appears to be one on Amazon if you don't mind dumping £1800 on it... otherwise if you want 4K you're best off paying less and getting the 15".

Won't 4k on a laptop just drain the battery more?

You decide if the trade off is worth it. Some people need the extra hours, others don't

I would like to buy a Zenbook with an nVidia. I want to learn CUDA programming and I want to train neural networks on an nVidia.
asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-Zenbook-UX310UQ/

Anything with "zen" in its name is an immediate red flag

No...
spend so much money on this Dell if it's going to make so much fucking noise.

I know the MBP is overpriced for what it is, yet at least I know it will hold value and probably won't experience the same static noise when simply scrolling down web pages.

For the record I'm not a mac shill. I wanted to love this dell because the 4k screen is indeed beautiful. But fuck this static noise is so annoying, I can't even hear anything through headphones especially.

I'm still within that return period so I'm asking what Sup Forums would do in this case...
Like I said, I wanted to like this laptop.
But if I'm going to be stuck with coil whine because the issue is so widespread with the XPS 13 9350, I have considered returning it to Costco within the period and just spending more on a MBP that "just werks".

I already updated the BIOS and drivers...to no avail.

Dell is sending a tech to replace the motherboard and I can instruct him to install new thermal paste during that process, but god damn...I just got the thing last week and it already needs a board replacement to fix this problem. I feel like I'm already fucking up with this purchase.

It's not fucking coil whine, it has nothing to do with the fan. It happens with the fan off. It has to do with the power supply - take off the adapter plug and lo and behold, it's gone.

>yo my shitbox meme machine is fucked what do I do????
>I know the MBP is overpriced for what it is
top kek... you fucking retards will never learn

Nah OP just stick with the XPS, you're riiiight in the target demographic. :^)

That might be so crazy it could just work