Anyone else here think Zen will be an amazing long term investment?

Anyone else here think Zen will be an amazing long term investment?
I honestly thing that after some optimizations, Ryzen chips will be the new Sandy Bridge, where even in 2020 they'll be great, while Intel chips will be struggling just like Nvidia's Kepler.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Njm0MBOwFTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, maybe the next iteration in two years will be better, but ryzen didn't have what it takes... I hate that fact, but that's how things are

Unfortunately not. What Ryzen is to AMD is like what Nehalem was to Intel.

Not to say Nehalem was bad, but there where some issues that needed to be ironed out. (Unironically the memory issues)

Then Sandy Bridge came along. I expect Ryzen 2 so be what Sandy Bridge was to Intel.

Lol
>Cpus
>Long term "investment"

2/10

Saged and neck yoself

Somewhat agree, I'm happy with ryzen, but if your looking long term, they're expecting another 12-15% ipc gain on zen2 which comes out next year, you also don't have to be a beta tester that way, and can purchase a more refined product. I'm still buying zen, but I'm ok with the occasional upgrade, and the socket will be the same for zen2/3.

Remember in 2013 when everyone said "Bulldozer will get better guys! Multithreading is the future! Devs will optimize games! Your PDF reader will be multithreaded! You music player will use more cores! It's the future!"

And look how that turned out, faggot.
Multithreading is a pain in the ass to program, and it's only suited for certain problems and applications. This is why we still need higher instructions per clock.

The only AMD products that have appreciated are their GPUs for two reasons:
1) DX12 takes advantage of asynchronous compute, which AMD architectures have in hardware
2) Not having annual GPU releases means they need to keep selling older architectures, meaning those cards need active driver updates to sell. Jewvidia releases new shit frequently and stops allocating resources to develop drivers for architectures older than about 2 generations. Remember how Kepler started faring worse and worse with new titles?

I had a Titan Black and benchmarked it before and after about 20 driver revisions. Some compute performance went up, some went down. Jewvidia had new, expensive chips to sell.

"Optimization" is also a meme that gets thrown around. Do you understand what that means, to optimize for a specific architecture? The only thing I can think of that would be holding Ryzen back at the moment is cache usage, since it's supposedly different, but updating software to make use of that will likely involve firmware updates, compiler optimization (to make use of Ryzen's instruction set), and other software engineering efforts you or I don't understand. That means: Don't count on it happening any time soon.

do you only run one program at a time?

Same here, I have a 8320 (am an AMD fag that can^'t buy intel) that is clocked to 4.6 GHz for a gaymin' PC that I only play cs:go and CK2 on at home while I use 4930k for my workstation which I do 3d/2d rendering for my company at office. Unfortunately for me there wasn't any good workstation CPUs at the time I was renewing my office hardware and I had to go with intel on that one.

So considering that I don't game much anymore and 4930k is still a beast, I am just going to hope that Zen2 will have 5%~ IPC improvement and capable of reaching 4.5 Ghz on 20% of their chips. Then I will get two Zen2 for myself, an 8 core for a workstation and a 6/8 core for gaymin' and shit.

Computers are becoming a mature market. And the vast majority of the market is laptops which are weaker than most desktop CPUs anyways. Of fucking course you'll be able to use Ryzen in three years, you'll be able to use kaby lake in three years too. Browsing the web and typing in Word aren't very intensive tasks anymore. Most applications are designed with laptops in mind too, so your desktop CPU that has a much higher power draw to enable more performance, will be good for a long time.

If you have any other use case scenario, you're either a gaymer or your company is probably buying your PC for you.

the gayming pc market is growing and mainstream users are switching to laptops

my 2600k is long term investment.

I'm using Ivy until it dies on me. Getting some serious mileage out of what was a sandy i3 and hd 6000 series. I figure if you can bench whatever the newest locked i5 will do you're still okay barring hardware failure.

Still running 920 Nehalem that I built in late '09 with 24gigs of RAM. Does everything I need.

Maybe I'm just cheap but the last time I thought about upgrading I didn't see a large enough performance increase for the money(some years ago now). That's probably changed by now.

Would seriously like some USB3 though.

I'm happy with my long term investment. Eight years out of a $250 CPU and $200ish mobo.

4770K will last a long time, still

I'm going get 1600x and upgrade to next gen 8core on same board in a year, the fact that you don't need new socket already makes it future proof and much cheaper than intel

AMD releases a new architecture every two years too kek

They just haven't changed the basic layout of 16 wide SIMD arrays in groups of four, while Nvidia keeps fucking with different ratios of control to compute. Their basic shaders are still unchanged since 2012.

fucking retard, you run one game at a time, even if you're streaming it's better to have a 7700k at 5 GHz, and for general desktop use you're not getting anywhere near 100% cpu usage, you run at most one cpu-intensive program at once, anything that's in the background isn't using much cpu

>wanting a 200 watt processor
ok

I'll stick to a nice 65 watts in games and everything being above 60hz anyways.

so you're spending hundreds of dollars on a ryzen "upgrade" just to save 30 watts and to play at 60 hz

> waiting another 8 years for ryzen2

This

Ryzen is even awful at streaming, it's bad at multi-tasking, it's just shit

AMDtards are just having delusions if they think it's going to somehow get better with time

>they're expecting another 12-15% ipc gain on zen2
Probably more like a 10% IPC gain as the absolute max, but 10%+ higher clock speeds as well.

>bias methodology "benchmark" brought to you in collaboration with Intel's marketing department and ArsTechnica
Try it on the medium preset and 60fps, shill.

>investment
How much do you expect to profit?

thats a hard pill to swallow

thanks, i guess?

>Anyone else here think Bulldozer will be an amazing long term investment?

but that's a proprietary benchmark.
That tells you nothing of importance of significance.

when is anandslowtech's ryzen gaming benchmarks going to be released so we can put all of this to rest?

i7 960 here, still fast enough

Sandy Bridge will still be good enough in 2020

kek

Do you think Ryzen 2 will bring better clocks? Should I buy a high end AM4 board, a cheap 4 core/8 thread ryzen CPU then upgrade to a more matured process?

Go for it, with the additional IPC gains they are expecting it is gonna be a nice platform. Im waiting for zen+ as well.

The second generation version of the r7 1700 will be the next 2500k if I had to guess. They're already promising a +15% performance uplift and that should be primarily ipc or frequentcy since I doubt there is much room left for improvement with their great smt. So we're looking at roughly skylake single thread performance on a 8c 16t device for $330. 2500k stayed good for what like 5 year until it fell considerably behind, I would expect the same out of the r7 2700. The r7 1700 will fall behind faster than that because of its low frequency unless mobo manufacturers pull something out of their ass that let's you pick up another 300 mhz or so

Post a different one then. Most benchmarks probably won't make use of Ryzen well unless they're updated to take advantage of its architectural improvements.
You're not being helpful just shooting down a benchmark and not posting something to counter it.

Never thought about it like that, good point.

AMD has said they are sticking with AM4 through 2020 at least. I'll boy a ryzen now and upgrade on their last AM4 release. Have fun with your changing socket every year, Intel users.

> 7700k can stream Fallout 4 with OBS without dropping frames every 2 seconds

Kek. Thats how I know you are a shill. You cant game on Ultra/High and software stream with any quality at the same time with a 7700k period. Meanwhile I can OBS stream fallout 4 with perfect smoothness and quality at Ultra, and have multiple internet tabs open shitposting at Intelkeks, FOR LESS MONEY.

meh who needs to upgrade anyways
my cpu will hold 5 more years out and it´s not like there´s anything worth doing with a new cpu

It is in this era of tick-tock-shill-shill harder.

>you run one game at a time
what year is it?
youtube.com/watch?v=Njm0MBOwFTM

I can't vow for this when Zen+/zenver2 is coming within a year with up to a 15% IPC improvement
However that's on AM4, so buying a R5 seems like a great idea
ServeTheHome and Phoronix already did dumb shill

>just wait

>just wait
>buy the R5
Nice reading comprehension dumb shill

>pay less now and then buy Zen+ cos ebin AM4 ending up paying more
>just wait

But Zen's extra cores and threads are totally worth it! Most ppl don't browse the Web and play games only a-anyway.. Your i5 will be obsolete!!

>upgrading
>paying more
>not selling old parts
wew you just went full retarded

shills

fuck off faggot shill

Stop giving him (you)s you dumbfucks, you're replying to samefag.

Even that fucked-ass benchmark proves Ryzen 7 takes a 5% performance hit from OBS while a 7700K takes a 16% performance hit.

>R5 with 2 CCX
>blown away by a Core i3.
>worth it
>muh resell value
>I am not a manlet like you and do more than just browse and play!

(you).

(you)

>It's more to it than just gaming and normal day to day usage!
But that's what most ppl do on their computers. An i5 will suffice for another 3-5 years.

(you),

this

fucking autists on this board holy fuck. AMD dick sucking faggot retards.

A 2.6 GHz Conroe C2D with a low end GPU that's still supported suffices as well

Or go Intel and call it a day.

Yep.

fuck off shlomo

or RMA yourself

>just get or new socket dumb goy

What an idiot

>And look how that turned out, faggot.

that all happened?

maybe not your dumb music player.

1.AMD has released a statement that the W10 scheduler is not the problem for the Ryzen

2.AMD has also stated that whether or not their CPUs will gain performance is going to depend on the software coding and optimization

to points 1: It's really fascinating how shills even still deny the reality after the manufacture has released a statement that should have shut up their mouths

to point 2: The majority of people have a 4 core or less CPU running.
Game producers will pander to the majority of course and not to the minority.
So unless Intel is starting to go for more corez the better route, 4 cores with 8 threads will be more than good enough for the years to come.
Keep your wishful thinking shit for yourselves.

>I'll stick to a nice 65 watts
>believes in the TDP

Are you retarded or what?

The 1700 you are thinking of will eat over 200 Watts once you overclock it to 4Ghz on all cores.

Just saying

6900k eats even more when OC'd to 4ghz, so what?

1. AMD said the scheduler is working properly, not that everything is working properly.
2. computerbase could boost performance by simply turning 2 windows 10 features OFF.

Kill yourself.

>hurr durr i love intel's jizz dripping down my chin while i buy 5% performance upgrades and new motherboards every other year at retarded markups

Eat shit and die.

Or stick with your superior i5/i7 and overclock it sky-high.

>The majority of people have a 4 core or less CPU running.
This is due to Intel artifically keeping core/thread count down with their price gouging bullshit. Which will hopefully be coming to an end.

fb2k is heavily threaded in anything that isn't lightweight enough to be done on a P4

After delidding, goy.

>everything is workling properly

Not this decade, not before their new uArch comes into play.

AMD acknowledged the difference in performance between the default configuration of win10 and win7 but it seems to be because win10 throttles down cores more aggressively than 7. AMD actually told reviewers to turn that functionality off but apparently a lot of them didn't.

No need to friendly RedTeam+ sandnig-member.

Unless it's Tejas: the housefire rises.
>a lot of them didn't
Or Intel told them not to do so.

Here we go again.

fb2k is heavily threaded in anything that isn't lightweight enough to be done on a P4
Except it won't, at most it does 140W when OC'd to 4 GHz on all cores
Just delid voiding your warranty and risking destroying your chip, buy our premium K parts and our ultra expensive boards that allow overclocking
And hope we don't force motherboard manufacturers to disable the feature a year down the line! Dumb goyim
Lrn2english before shilling dumb pajeet

>m-muh secret sauce!
>intel totally has a brand new arch just waiting to release, they've been hiding it all this time!

Uh huh, tell me another one. Maybe about how Coffee Lake will totally be a 15% performance increase.

The fuck is that English, Ramesh?

No, he means Krzanich literally ordered a brand new microarch.

That's nice. I ordered a sandwich at subway today. Doesn't mean jack shit.

Remember what happened the last 4 times that was done?

my 3570k still does alright, heck even my old q6600 does ok for some stuff.

Yes it does.

Yes. iAPX432, Itanium, NetBurst, Larrabee?

>CPU
>amazing long term investment

Intel are on the third iteration of their 14nm process. If only Ryzan could be made with Intel's fabs.

That's basically what I'm planning...

but this 2+2 core shit is going to be disappointing as fuck.
I bet the i3-7350K is faster in most games. Granted, it costs more and has no upgrade path.

So maybe when Zen2 comes, I can upgrade to a 4 or 6 core that actually works properly on top of having faster clocks. It does seem likely Zen2 will have at least 10% higher clocks as supposedly it's going to be a different process that's more desktop focused.

How can poo in loos justify Ryzen's poor performance in single-thread, low clock speed and lower IPC gaymen applications without bringing out their Jewtel card?
>muh optimized workloads
>it will get better!

Said 2+2 chip has fucking 16mb of L3 so anything can happen.

>low clock speed
>>>>>>>>muh megahurtz
You know these can't be directly compared anyway, right shill?
>gaymen
Oh no, 10 less FPS at >60 FPS, we're doomed.
>single-thread
If you're that desperate for single threaded performance on the cheap, get an i3-7350K.

So, you do not even deny Ryzen is simply shit where it counts for most people anymore.

Intel's model of keeping their fabs to themselves is close to being unsustainable, just the fabs eat more than 80% of their R&D, and their majority of employees are fab workers
They will have to open them to third parties, specifically ARM vendors, unless they develop a magic uArch able to so what Atom never could and able to compete with Zen

Doesn't matter when there's milliseconds each frame wasted looping through cache misses because the scheduler keeps moving the thread between CCX
Or because a game is programmed to use a shared L3 cache each frame and has to hit RAM so often.

This shit is sad.

People did tests of the 2+2 and 4+0 configuration for an idea of what performance looked like.
The 4+0 configuration was better than every Intel 4 core on average except for the 7700k.
The 2+2 was pretty much on par with the i5-2500k and i3-7350k.
So duuurrr of course AMD gives us a gimped ass CPU that doesn't properly compete.

No one buys a 4 core for workstation tasks. There's no fucking point of this stupid 2+2 configuration, especially the 1400 with half the L3 on each disabled.