/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4
>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/120/vostok-watch-amphibian-classic-120512.html
lmgtfy.com/?q=coaxial escapement wikipedia
dailymotion.com/video/x3dpekm
youtu.be/ffrwUlJxQG8
tuw-ruhla.com/en/tuw-ruhla-taucher-10443-021702-automatic-mens-watch-200m-water-resistant/a-88037/
s627482256.online.de/index.php/uhrenkollektionen/junkers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for nice diagrams

NEED

Diver
Black bezel
Black dial
Blue words/hands

give me suggestions

What benefits does omega market for the coaxial and which are factual?

>59428415
I forgot to mention, if you are looking for good quality leather straps at a reasonable price check out Watch Gecko's handmade leather straps. One user got one for his Seiko SARB033 and really likes it.

First for blue sunburst dials.

Look at Sinn or Damasko. Damasko's entry-level stuff is more interesting because it has the tegimented steel, while Sinn doesn't use it until a higher price point. But Damaskos aren't dressy.

Are we stuck to the secondary market in NA to get a Steve jobs watch?

Is that from the repair book you've been shilling?

Whew lad

Why no love for the SNE437

>not to expensive ~250
>solar, will last 15 years
>good clean classic seiko looks
>fully dive rated to 200m
> comes with nice oyster type bracelet

Vostok Watch Amphibian Classic 120512

meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/120/vostok-watch-amphibian-classic-120512.html

Just change the bezel for a black one

lmgtfy.com/?q=coaxial escapement wikipedia

There that was easy.

Well it seems like they're a collaboration with a Japanese store, so yes.
They're already overpriced at retail though. Don't bother paying more to import one.

>Are we stuck to the secondary market in NA to get a Steve jobs watch?

what about an old one there must be tons of them

you pretty much have all the options in that image

ChrWard might have some too

People in those threads don't really care for quartz in general, unless it's a nice vintage or a high-end modern watch.

Speaking of which, the new Longines VHP are pretty cool. And the price soubds about right for a good quartz.

I would like a better camera please

>Are we stuck to the secondary market in NA to get a Steve jobs watch?

33mm diamater, no thanks

but you dont' have to wind it or have it die every 40 hours

seems like a benefit to me

>spend of my time mostly indoors
>solar watches die by lack of sunlight

also >quartz

In theory a co-axial escapement should require no lubrication, be subject to little friction (and therefore wear), and extend the service interval of a watch while reducing how much it's rate changes over time as the oils age.

In reality it doesn't work because you have to oil it for cushioning in microscopically precise amounts or it will eat itself. It's much harder to service than a traditional lever escapement, and since you have to oil it anyway the benefits are Z E R O except it's much harder to service, more fragile, and more prone to catasteophic failure if not serviced correctly.

As you would expect from the Swatch Group, it's 100% marketing and 0% real benefit.

it will charge indoors in normal lighting conditions in about 2 days and last for 10 months, charges in 6 hours outdoors

Don't they work with artificial light though?

That's the thing, mechanical watches aren't just an appliance. They're objectively worse than quartz for the simple task of timetelling.
Most of us have our reasons to like mechanical watches that make giving away a bit of practicality acceptable.

Do Daniels/Smith watches use oil in the escapement?

>Don't they work with artificial light though?
yes, perfectly

I believe Daniels used gold for cushioning.

>That's the thing, mechanical watches aren't just an appliance. They're objectively worse than quartz for the simple task of timetelling.

I just want a nice simple diver that I don't have to fiddle with and kept wound desu senpai

Interesting. I'm assuming it was expected to last the lifetime of the watch and not be a service item then.

Has anyone here read Daniel's "Watchmaking"? I don't actually want to make a watch, so I'm wondering if it would be an interesting read if you just want to learn more about watches.

>also >quartz

inb4 +/-0s guy

Yep they are nice straps, supple & comfy. Plus they look nice too.

well the hi-accuracy GS is an exception of course

quartz is good if you want to try a style without shelling out more than 20 dollars

my 7s36 is more accurate than cheap quartz desu. I haven't tested over long term reliability and it is dependent on position but day to day I can do +1-1 whereas my cheapshit quartz is rated for like 60 seconds a month

>my 7s36 is more accurate than cheap quartz
Hahahaha no it isn't

I have one of those Watch Gecko straps on the way. I want to see how it compares to the much more expensive Bulang & Sons one I have. If the quality is decent I'm going to order a few more colors.

I forgot they still word filter that shit

fucking nipmoot

>my 7s36 is more accurate than cheap quartz desu.

lol

In most cases only high end production mechanical movements that have been carefully adjusted and regulated will reliably be more accurate than cheap quartz.

With a movement like the 7s36, the problem is not even so much getting it to be very accurate in the short term, but rather that it will have a really hard time holding the regulation for an extended period. Regulators without micro-adjusters move pretty easily from shocks.

yes it actually is. The 7s26 series of movements are capable of incredible accuracy for their price, they just aren't regulated out of the factory.

Cheapshit quartz that is in 5 to 30 dollar casios and all chinese fashion shit aren't as accurate as you think, they usually gain or lose about 2 or 3 seconds a day.

if my snzg15 gains 4 seconds on the table overnight and loses 3 seconds throughout a day's wear, it beats cheapshit quartz.

just my experience. I know its not indicative of most people's movements,

and gaining 4 seconds and losing 3 is,'t the same as a consistent +1, but it isn't bad by any means .

that one guy just bought his owl penis and apparently has a similar experience.

>30 dollar casios and all chinese fashion shit aren't as accurate as you think, they usually gain or lose about 2 or 3 seconds a day.

NOPE
O
P
E

yeah maybe not casio, looking around they are rated for about 25 seconds a month

still though, even though it was stupid to say my seiko 5 beats my quartz, its still pretty good and off the shelf quartz isn't too much better

or you could get a waveceptor and never lose a second

over the course of a year a casio terrorist watch you don't fuck with will not be off by more than a min or two, where an auto will be off by half an hour, that is if you did not constantly have to fuck with it and reset the time every time it powers down or reset the month for every month that does not have 31 days...

Who is daniel

*Daniels'
It's my bad, I was obviously talking about George Daniels, the late inventor of the coaxial escapement and very traditionalist, English watchmaker. His book on watchmaking, with the most unoriginal title possible, is seemingly regarded as one of the best for aspiring watchmakers. It's Hajime Asaoka's reference, for instance, and I love Asaoka's work.
Daniels also taught RW Smith, who might just be the only truly British watchmaker at the moment.

I'll have to pick it up then. Asaoka is incredible.

dailymotion.com/video/x3dpekm

Watch "The Watchmaker's Apprentice," amazing documentary about the man and the person who took over from him. They and a handful of other independents are the arguable true highest reaches of watchmaking, beyond Patek or anyone else. True handmade watches with their own engineering achievements conceived by one horologist from beginning to end. There's a purity to it not much else can match.

How much are those more expensive ones?

>over the course of a year a casio terrorist watch you don't fuck with will not be off by more than a min or two

This isn't my experience with that watch. 20-30 seconds per month that other user read sounds about right.

Please post your thoughts when it arrives, I've only ever bought cheap chink shit before but I wanted something a bit nicer on my SARB. I'm interested how it compares to more expensive options.

Opinions on this Movado? It's the sapphire series

>What time is it, m8
>Dunno, bruv. Can't see shit

The one I bought was 110 Euro while Watch Gecko is selling similar looking straps for $40 USD.

>$10 quartz movement
>$50 to make the rest of the watch
>Sell to good goys for $1,000
Why is this allowed?

Are they really that shit

Because people buy them. Would you not sell your own piss and shit for $1000 if people bought it?

Their watches also all look like complete shit unfortunately

I like Roger's series 4 a lot, stunning imo.

Does anyone know of any comfortable steel bracelets that fit amphibia?

they're not really """"shit.""""" But for the price you can do MUCH better.

they have generic quartz ETA movements and chinese made cases and bracelets. for 250$ its okay.

I don't, but at least it doesn't say 311.

Shark mesh

youtu.be/ffrwUlJxQG8

i'm tempted by vid related..

make me change my mind, /wt/

I'm going to buy one of these

Watch repair user here, I recently saw one of these. Bretty gud overall, has a Miyota 90something inside.

They're made by the same German company who does Zeppelin so build quality will be around the same.

Make sure to color match whatever model you choose with your trilby.

Aptly named.

>They're made by the same German company who does Zeppelin so build quality will be around the same.

That company is Ruhla, they also made my lovely moon phase quartz shitter.

Point Tec is Bavarian, dummy, Ruhla was GDR. Try to look shit up before you pull complete nonsense out of your ass.

Also I looked into Ruhla and look at what I found /wt/:
>tuw-ruhla.com/en/tuw-ruhla-taucher-10443-021702-automatic-mens-watch-200m-water-resistant/a-88037/

I don't know how far into development they are, or if it isn't vaporware, but looks some Germans are trying to make a 200m Ruhla diver with a Vostok 2416b movement.

I got one for my dad. it's a very nice piece.

> dummy

Fucking dumbass, when I said Ruhla, I meant Gardé Ruhla, not TUW Ruhla.

Gardé also builds Junkers and Zeppelin watches.

t. German

s627482256.online.de/index.php/uhrenkollektionen/junkers

It's good enough for the leader of best korea

They have nice designs but I can't bring myself to own a "junker"

Then who is Point Tec GMBH you fucking nazi-turkroach hybrid?

Gardé owns the brands, Point Tec has the license to sell them. And it's GmbH, fucking nigger.

Yikes. I think at 110 Euro I'd probably get a handmade from the strapmakers on a local watch forum.

nice watch, never seen it before

have 10 year old shit casio beater, gains max 1sec a month

>And it's GmbH,
Who cares you slav mutt. Go and elect an Austrian or something.

>Being this defensive when you get proven flat wrong
Utterly cringe inducing.

Received my terrorist casio today. Can't wait for the green NATO I ordered to arrive as well...

>>>/reddit/

Have fun installing the nato

Sarb033 or sarb035?
Almost bought 035 but now starting to think about 033

033, it's sexy as fuck.

White because TGV has black

Black is more casual. I'm going to get yhe 35.

If only they had proper AR coating.
Now you have to get 035

Anyone have a Pass The Watch or Long Island Watch coupon code?

Soon

I have one which depends on the watch being bought for LIW. What are you looking at?

Thanks but I've been looking for a link type

You the user waiting for a Sinn?

>Doubling down on the butthurt

No a 1963. I already have a sinn tho.

>Now you have to get 035
Why, they don't have ar coating either?

Oh I see right, I thought you were the user that has been waiting forever for a Sinn to come from Germany.

I'm different user