Is rust a meme? why should I use it over Go

is rust a meme? why should I use it over Go

Other urls found in this thread:

nomad.so/2015/03/why-gos-design-is-a-disservice-to-intelligent-programmers/
japaric.github.io/discovery/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go is more of a meme than Rust is desu.
Just use it and figure it out for yourself.
If you like autism you will like Rust.

I don't know why they always bring up golang and rust.
Literally the only thing they have in common is they are compiled.

>why should I use it over Go
Why the fuck would you ever use these meme languages?

>is rust a meme?
yes
you shouldn't

go is maymay too??? :(

I love both. However comparing Go and Rust is retarded, Rust is incredibly more efficient than Go. Go is faster than Java and C# while Rust is faster than C++.

However Go is easy to learn, you can learn it in a week while Rust is insanely more complex. Although Rust gives you the best security and memory safety than Go.

>is rust a meme?
Yes.
You shouldn't.

Yes, it's another throw-away language produced by googles fucctois.

You are too retarded or Rust
nomad.so/2015/03/why-gos-design-is-a-disservice-to-intelligent-programmers/

go, C, C++, D, R, Ada, python, hell even java are better than rust

Dfag here I wish I were good at Rust instead

And no, C is a cancer that needs to be wiped out of the universe

>c is cancer
Brainlet detected.
>rust can replace c
>ever
"no"

You seem very upset, give me any reason why should people use C anymore. It's utter trash if you ask me

Posting in a shill thread.

You don't have to

>why c
Device drivers, embedded software, kernels, anything that needs efficiency as a top priority.
C doesn't hold your hand, and no one should be writing it unless they know this.
Don't suffer the delusion that Rust can even compete with C in those domains, it can't.
>its utter trash
It's not utter trash, but it is certainly not the best tool for the job where efficiency is not the top priority. Use whatever you want in that case.

>Device drivers, embedded software, kernels,
Rust and C++ are more than capable of doing that. Not even C's compilers are written in C.

>C doesn't hold your hand
And? ASM doesn't hold you hand either why not use ASM instead?

C is portable

?
So is Rust/C++

>Rust and C++ are more than capable of doing that. Not even C's compilers are written in C
Capable, but not competitive. C is more efficient.
It's not impossible to write safe C.
GCC is pretty much written in C as far as I can tell. It's basically C with classes.
ASM is not portable.
C is portable.
C is also way easier to write than ASM.

Generics, better safety, better performance eith no gc, functional programming

>So is Rust/C++
Not to 8 bit micros

Rust is not even safe. Literal placebo.
>m-muh dangling pointers
Retards.

GCC is written in C++
Why not use Hardware Description Language like VHDL?

Are you saying dangling pointers are a problem? Or are you one of those invisible expert C hacker masters in the movies?

>Hardware Description Language like VHDL
Because you're programming a microcontroller and not a FPGA or CPLD...

A 8051 can be had for cheaper than either too

I'm saying you're a retard and should stop shitting up the board with your shilling.

Not an argument

You gave none.

>GCC is written in C++
I didn't say it wasn't, just that it barely uses C++ features. A lot of their source files still use the .c extension.
>so is rust
Yeah, no.
Try bootstrapping a Rust toolchain.
Then try bootstrapping a C toolchain.
It's not even comparable.

thinking rust will replace C is like thinking something can replace assembly, C might be less used, but it will never disappear
It's reality, get over it

I asked if you are implying dangling pointers are not a problem

>C is assembly
What

japaric.github.io/discovery/

C software on the other hand isn't, so that's a worthless attribute.

wrong

> 8 bit micros
Literally who cares, programming uC isn't "real" programming, it's a branch of electronic engineering, the algorithms being implemented are trivial. In any case, it's such a small niche C can has it, after it finally pushes asm out of it ofc.

Rust is fucking hard to learn. I want it to succeed, but at the same time, I hope it doesn't, so I don't have to learn it.

Rust is trying to be a good alternative for C/C++.
Go is trying to be a better C++ at web stuff.

They're different.

Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.

You are mistaken

In Sup Forums we are all kernel devs and we program micro controllers every weekend

>Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.
That's what Sup Forums made you believe

>Try bootstrapping a Rust toolchain.
>Then try bootstrapping a C toolchain.
>It's not even comparable.
This is just one reason why C will always exist, and so assembly

This, there are even more suited programming languages for 8 bit microcontrollers that don't allow allocations unknown at compile time at all.

It's the reality. The development is so slow.
There is a lot of shit still missing.

Rust and Go are both ephemeral memes. Stay with C or C++

>STM32F3DISCOVERY
>Cortex-M4
lol bloat

>Go is trying to be a better C++ at web stuff.

Go is more like C desu

>Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.

back to Sup Forums

Top quality argument, user

> Also, Rust development is being totally fucked by those feminazis at Mozilla.
What does this even mean?

>go back to Sup Forums
>implying it's only Sup Forums that is sick of SJWs

>The development is so slow.

>Go is more like C desu
Go is literally picking up C++, stripping it of the retarded C++ shit, retaining the good bits and marketing it for the web.

This. They will throw go away for go2 like they did with angular and polymere

I bet that's what half of the Sup Forums contrarians are about.
>my sides when thinking about the future where non-soc system programming requires complex programming languages and Sup Forums weeded out, loses their jebs and gets btfod

He's actually right, while it's a uC it's still a full-blown 32-bit ARM. Most of uC are still 8bit.

Don't you mean Java?

Go was literally designed as a Java replacement that isn't as retarded

It probably means he went to /r/rust, asked something really retarded and was told.

But java is retarded as fuck, like you said.
And go is more low level compared with java.

>he went to /r/rust
You would know. I suggest you stay here.

How the fuck does Go in any way, replace Java?
I mean Java is cancer, but at least you can do things with it.

Is there a future for go, when WASM is going to be a thing?

>And go is more low level compared with java.
The only thing more low level than Java about it is that it isn't running on a JVM by default.

>back to Sup Forums
Have you been under a rock or something? Being sick of feminazis and SJWs is the mainstream opinion now days.

>I suggest you stay here.
ok

>k of k&r a fucctoi
OK Kid.

this, Rust isn't overly SJW these days, it peaked about 2 years ago and has been slowly declining since then

How do you measure such things?

Amount of memes posted in Sup Forums

well, he invented C after all...

trips of truth have spoken

Rust is a good language and so is Go
They do not compete with each other, I love both of them

They both suck. Learn OCaml.

>implying Sup Forums is that much better than SJWs

the truth is Sup Forums themselves is the reason SJWs are so bad because they give them attention by ironically being triggered by everything.

> A transwoman contributed to this software project? REEEEEEEEEEEEE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING REEEEEE

>This game has a non-straight character? REEEEEEEEEEEEE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING REEEEEE

>How the fuck does Go in any way, replace Java?

>The key point here is our programmers are Googlers, they’re not researchers. They’re typically, fairly young, fresh out of school, probably learned Java, maybe learned C or C++, probably learned Python. They’re not capable of understanding a brilliant language but we want to use them to build good software. So, the language that we give them has to be easy for them to understand and easy to adopt.

College Java pajeets have to be able to understand it and write backends in it

Also GC so it wasn't meant for a systems or performance critical language like C or C++

Ken Thompson helped in Go, not Brian Kernighan.

programming languages are non-profit

>rust is faster than c++

rust adoption is paid for by botnet mozilla abusing normies
go adoption is paid for by botnet google abusing normies

why would you use obscure botnet tech, do you have any self-respect and integrity left?

Nah, just use Go. It's fast enough and you dont have to bother worrying about whether you have a mutable inner reference inside a struct and all the other bullshit that rust requires you to deal with for like a 10% speed improvement.

Learn go in like a day and be done with your project by tomorrow instead of spending a year on hobby projects and reaching expert beginner in rust.

"times slower"
Unbelievable that Americans consider this illogical, inverted drivel to be valid English.
Put that graph is the trash and show something that's worth a damn.

Mate what are you on about? It makes perfect sense and the graph is easy to read.

C is needed to work at the same level as the CPU. It's the only high-level language that can be used to write drivers.

Traits
Tagged unions/enums
Pattern matching
Better copy/move semantics
Cargo
Borrow checker

they came out around the same time. semi-similar goals in certain areas.

Equally meme. Equally gay.

You shouldn't. Just use Go.

>is rust a meme?
yes
Go is a language written by smart people so that 100 retards could write something together

learn literally any other progamming language

I'd rather learn Haskell in the time that it took to learn Rust.

underrated comment

CSP concurrency is their key feature. In fact when Rust still had that concurrency model as part of its syntax, it looked a lot like Go smooshed with D. Naturally they were seen as competitors.

>Rust is incredibly more efficient than Go
Nonsense.

>you can learn it in a week
You can learn it in an hour.

> same level as CPU

u wot m8
can I access the cache randomly with C? no
shut ur stupid mouth

>Nonsense

>Rust 3.96
>Go 3.95
Nice.

To those who say rust is shit:

Why is it shit? If I'm fine with using "a meme" "run by feminazis" what actual disadvantages does it have to the competition? I can see exactly two:

Lack of extensive libraries
Not as fast as idiomatic C, yet faster than everything else it would compete with.

So why shouldn't I or anyone else use it? It seems like if performance can be improved (which it can and has continually been doing as rust has matured), and it seems to offer some tangible benefits over other programming languages (massive support for concurrency, helpful safety features, a good type system).

So why is it a bad language that we shouldn't all be massively supporting? Thinking C is going to disappear is dumb as fuck, but it doesn't seem that rust loses anything over C.

It's not shit, it's pretty good. It's the only new language that performs faster than C++. Rust makes it harder to produce bugs because of it's strictly disciplined typing.
You should realize after the recent Wikileaks event that three letter agencies post in Sup Forums.
>Any retard who says safety doesn't matter
You haven't probably seen the influx of these people
>Nothing to hide, nothing to fear
>Linux is shit use Windows
>Botnet wants me to starve
>Who needs safety
etc etc

These are the kind of people that advocate against your privacy and data safety. Typical arguments against rust is
>Ur dumb
No, every C programmer have made mistakes and bugs
>SJW xD
Inane

Good one

It's shit because if you don't rewrite EVERYTHING in it then it's totally useless. And nobody who's willing to rewrite everything in a new language will get things done. Before they're halfway through, the next shiny thing will come along and everyone will drop Rust and leave behind a graveyard of poorly thought out unmaintained code.

I have a couple disagreements with you:

#1 They probably do vaguely monitor Sup Forums, but I seriously doubt they play any active role in posting. The people on Sup Forums don't have enough value to influence. Those that are important already know how important safety is. The NSA gains nothing from some 20 something choosing windows over linux. I think their value in monitoring just comes from the occasional leaks/real threats that have happened on Sup Forums and of course monitoring boards like Sup Forums to catch distributors of cp and such.

#2 "Safety" in a programming sense, while somewhat related to security, is different than the "Safety" of using, say, tox over skype or whatever.

#3 Every programmer ever makes mistakes and writes bugs. Rust helps solve some bugs but it isn't like rust magically makes you write bug-free code. I think there's a level where we have to be realistic here.

Also yeah SJW posters are inane as fuck. Sorry, but I don't think my using a fucking programming language is going to make me a transsexual or contribute to some jewish conspiracy theory.

>rewrite everything its useless
What the hell are you basing this on? Yes, a lack of libraries is a hindrance, but things are being ported and even then, for many projects extensive libraries aren't always necessary. Plus we have shit like Redox OS that is pretty much rewriting everything and has come far as fuck in 2 years.

Rust also has a large corporate backing in the mozilla corporation, which adds to its potential staying power.