I'm setting up a new home server. I usually use Parabola or Debian on my machines...

I'm setting up a new home server. I usually use Parabola or Debian on my machines, but have been curious about other options... anyone want to redpill me on BSD?
It sounds more cohesive to me, but that's about all I see going for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
ghacks.net/overview-firefox-aboutconfig-security-privacy-preferences/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no drivers

Yeah but what special drivers do you need for a home server? basic home server should just work.

I use it at home, it works for me.
The handbook answered almost any question I ever had, the forum and mailing list had anything else.
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

With the handbook you should be able to install and maintain the system, it has sections for all the features of FreeBSD itself that you'd be interested in, for example things like jails, setting up redundancy on multiple levels (from networks to whole machines), the ports and package systems, the bootloader, etc.

For third party software you obviously should consult the docs for them.

I like it a lot, it's been very easy to maintain, the separation of the base from third party software makes distribution updates and customization easy, jails make experimentation painless too, zfs helps there too if you use snapshots.

>I want to try out this new service
>I'll spin up a jail in a second, install it via a package, see if I like it, keep it if I do or delete the entire jail if not without cluttering the host

>want to try out custom kernel or new version
>zfs snapshot
>if something goes wrong I just revert the entire pool and am back to normal

too comfy

>cohesive
elaborate

Try it out and see if it suits your needs. You'll learn a bit in the process as you're working with a different system and maybe get a deeper understanding about something because it's different from Linux. Honestly, for a home server, that's the best reason I can give because anything would work.

Please don't fall for the bsd "lol u dont need dat" bullshit. It's not about now, it's about later. Is the server NEVER going to change? You're gonna need drivers, or something new at some point.

>cohesive
This is about as bad as those joke videos that go like this
>Benefits of having your car stolen
>See if your car is stolen now you have more time to relax at home, just phone up your job and say you quit

let's take linux, and remove all the drivers and software. it isn't broken now, because it can't be, so it's "cohesive"... it's also fucking useless. this is about as good as removing ethernet capability "to make the system secure"

It's highly unlikely that a server OS isn't going to have drivers for server hardware, likewise with third party software.

I swear this is the weirdest thing, it really feels like the same people complaining about Linux in the 2000's are complaining about BSD today, which is odd since it's older, regardless it was hyperbolic then and it still is today.
>lol no drivers
>lol no software
People have been saying this for actual decades for everything that's not NT.

In the context of a server, even beyond a home server, as long as it's POSIX compliant you're going to be fine, be it GNU, BSD, AIX, Solaris, et al. Shit like nginx, samba, postgres, etc. will run on your platform and it's likely your platform will run on your hardware if it was made anytime recently, or hell even if it's over 10 years old, it's gonna run on it.

Don't you know that the people who complain about !linux these days are the same types of people who complain about !windows, but they just happen to be dumb enough to be sold on the whole freedom argument and think it brings anything to them eventhough they haven't written a line of sensible code in their life?

I don't know about the other BSD's, but NetBSD keeps track of vulnerabilities, and lets you know when packages are vulnerable. Really handy for a server.

FreeBSD is probably what you want if you're new to BSD

Well, if it's a server then yeah it's not gonna morph into some laptop. Even if you're using some old laptop, what are the chances that you're gonna use FreeBSD if you decide to use it again after using it as a server for a few years, keeping it tucked away behind some desk? Most hardware does work, and if you're running a server it's unlikely you'll run into issues like Wi-Fi chipsets (most still work anyways). Even nVidia creates drivers for FreeBSD.

I think FreeBSD should be able to do that too
"pkg audit -F"

>People have been saying this for actual decades for everything that's not NT.
kek fucking this

They're pretty easy to use, since it's just Unix without GNU quirks. Good documentation too, so things are easy to set up. I use it as a webserver now.
OpenBSD, specifically. It comes with its own web server too, so you don't need to install anything.

>no drivers
Nice meme Linux faggot.

OP, you'll be very pleased with FreeBSD. Follow 's advice.

best thing about FreeBSD is it's not tailored to third world/wymen outreach programs.

It just works, like things used to back in the late 90s, early 2000s. It's not infested with social justice, just professional engineers.

Actually, you're wrong. Offensive fortune files were removed from the system.
>``offensive''

What was in these "offensive" fortunes?

Philosophy quotes, and jokes.

Who removed it? Show me the change log.

>switched to freebsd earlier
>can't run nfs and use jails simultaneously because of IP fuckery

ZFS is cool tho. Love not dealing with fstab.

I don't know how to find file removals. They were removed somewhere between 9 and 10 I believe.

>Thinkpad x220 with libreboot with erased ME (github)
> Remove DD
>Custom Debian Jessie live on USB with Systemd/systemd-services/systemd-shim erased & apparmor/arpon/macchanger/dnscrypt/openvpn with scrambler patch + VPN like Mullvad paid with Bitcoins.
> Tor with locked down profile with javascript disabled (default are garbage). Check it out here : ghacks.net/overview-firefox-aboutconfig-security-privacy-preferences/
> Remove https everywhere and install smart https instead. Install ublock origin and block webrtc. Install random agent spoofer.
> "B-but muh fingerprints". No faggot, fingerprints aren't going to matter with the tweaks made in about:config.
> Buy a long-range directionnal antenna (20dBi min) and connect to a free wifi spot. Change your access point everyday.
>Realize that Sup Forums is a botnet and can't even display https by default. Realize that the gook use javascript everywhere and it's hopeless.
>To save your files use dm-crypt with plain mode on a microSD. If anything go wrong, throw it in your mouth and swallow it.

This sounds very nice. I wish Linux had something like this.

>anything but a hypervisor OS