The current state of Youtube

>The current state of Youtube

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/youtube/answer/6140493?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en
businessinsider.com/youtube-still-doesnt-make-google-any-money-2015-2
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtubes-annotations-no-m/fajnlldimiiipghabjgnbdidcnkghkgn
theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good. Annotations are fucking annoying.

Who fucking cares.

Who gives a fuck

Good.
Exodus soon

Phonecucks WILL defend this

>They don't even work on mobile devices

This sentence is making me mad for so many reasons.

NO!
They should keep annotations.
AND add Nico Nico Douga-style comment marquee overlays.

The main reason being that you have autism. Retard.

If Niconico can get scrolling comments working on mobile there's absolutely no excuse for Youtube

It's not gonna be too much of an issue but
Why do they word it like that? It's their fault in the first place for not making support.

Remember when people would place invisible annotations that would cover the entire video? So every time you would click inside the video it would redirect you to subscribe to them?
That was hell, also when they would just over the screen with them memes l.

I can't argue with that.

It's like they are talking about someone else's website.

To make it seem more like something negative / unneeded. Makes it easier to get rid of I guess

>We never fixed a thing so fuck you
Sounds about right.

nope, it's incompatible with HTLM5 playback.

but nostalgia

rip

>5 times better
where do they get these numbers from

Annotations work on HTML5 dumbass

Annotations are annoying af I'm glad they finally remove this shit

google analytics

The same place they got their nice and round "70% dropped usage" statistic from.

How are now illiterate lyric videos uploaders supposed to correct their mistakes?

>things don't work for mobile cancer
>so we will remove it

God damnit. If i had to pick one of 3 wishes from a genie, one would be for all smartphones in the world to spontaneously combust.

YESSSSSS!!!!

Bye bye fucking annoying annotations :DDDD

First they replaced the 5 stars rating with the like/dislike bullshit, then the unification under a single google account, then the idiotic spacing between the comments that lets you see 1/5 of them in the same space, now if someone puts up a video and they say something wrong or make an error they wont be able to easily correct it. It's like they are putting effort in making their platform a pain in the ass for creators and conscious users, while trying to make it more appealing to mindless phone users. I really wish there was an alternative

That was fixed already thanks to the disable annotations button

>It's like they are putting effort in making their platform a pain in the ass for creators and conscious users, while trying to make it more appealing to mindless phone users.
I agree. And the API is designed in a way, that if you'd want to bring some old feature back, it's like burning your credits (e.g. "All activity" that used to show your subscription's favs/likes).

Don't forget that they removed the like/dislike ratio that they used to show under thumbnails, so you need to click on a video to see what other people think about it.
Also, one of the recent mobile updates actually put the number of dislikes out of view, so you have to manually tap to see them.
All this is just so they can show more ads to more people

The only good new youtube update was removing google+ integration and making it so you could vote on and reply to comments posted before the google+ update.

Also downvotes on comments don't actually work

Like/dislike ratio is better than star rating.

Why this shit only gets worse!?

>invisible annotations that would cover the entire video? So every time you would click inside the video it would redirect you to subscribe to them?

Thank fucking goodness.
I hope they delete all annotations sometime in the future as well.

Why in the world could that be better? In the past i was like "this was a nice video, i'll give it 4 stars" or "this video kinda sucks i'll give it 2 stars" or "this video is amazing, 5 stars!", now it's black or white, i'm forced to decide if i "like" it or not, like if my opinion was just """my opinion""", something that cannot contribute to build a reliable indicator of the quality of a video

Welcome to the (((future)))

Most people are retarded and would only vote 1 star or 5 stars. There's a place for number/star ratings, like sites where you post reviews of things, since you're actually supposed to put effort into that kind of thing. But on a youtube video, no one's gonna ponder the appropriate rating for a 5-second clip of some guy getting hit in the nuts that they're gonna forget about the next day.

Good. I install YT userscripts specifically to make sure the Annotations are always turned off in every video.

What autistic retard is complaining about this?

How is this a bad decision?
Did any of you idiots actually expect Google to port annotations to mobile devices? That shit has nothing to do on 5inch touchscreen devices. The YT app already cramps all video elements like the timeline, play/pause button, streaming settings etc. on that tiny display and now you want annoying text bubbles on that mini screen as well? Have fun accidentally pressing that shit was pausing or leaving fullscreen mode.

Please, use your fucking brain. You can't simply port a platform originally made for desktop traffic without any changes to mobile devices, and as companies hate having differences in functionality between different platforms for a single website/app and actually prefer consistence they're gonna have to dump a few ancient features here and there to make room for new shit that works on all screen sizes.

What was the point of annotations anyway? What can be done with them that can't be done with cards, that (i) button and the description?

Grow the fuck up and stop complaining about a company removing ancient, non constistent functionality from their products.

You forgot to mention the removal of subscription folders that used to let you group subscription and have separate pages. E.g. I had latest music, latest gaming and latest photography.

Removed because "only few people use it so fuck you".

I passed to using a (local) rss client to order subscriptions, and livestreamer to view. So fuck them, they've lost one user.

>EAT THIS

I hope someone gets this

I wish I didn't.

>Most people are retarded and would only vote 1 star or 5 stars.
I don't think so. And even if it was the case, if you treat retards like normal people there's a chance they'll become less retarded, but if you treat retards like retards they will stay retarded forever.

>There's a place for number/star ratings, like sites where you post reviews of things, since you're actually supposed to put effort into that kind of thing. But on a youtube video, no one's gonna ponder the appropriate rating for a 5-second clip of some guy getting hit in the nuts that they're gonna forget about the next day.
You don't need to "put effort" or "ponder" to decide a number between 1 and 5, it's pretty immediate and i would have it ready by the end of every video i watch

Good

most content creators abused annotations by either having them pop up constantly, using ones that obscured too much of the screen or having them cover the entire video with a re-direct link (fuck those people especially)

I made it a habit of disabling annotations before playing a single video and I'm glad they're going away, though I blame youtube just as much as the people that abused them, god forbid we had an 'auto-disable' option somewhere.

>$0.01 has been deposited into your Google Wallet

Annotations also don't work with mpv+ytdl, so I'm okay with this.

Holy shit I know. I feel as if it doesn't fit at all.

>Did any of you idiots actually expect Google to port annotations to mobile devices?
No, i would have expected them to replace annotations with something that has the same funcionality but works on mobile too.
That shit has nothing to do on 5inch touchscreen devices. The YT app already cramps all video elements like the timeline, play/pause button, streaming settings etc. on that tiny display and now you want annoying text bubbles on that mini screen as well? Have fun accidentally pressing that shit was pausing or leaving fullscreen mode.
If a device isn't suitable for something they shouldn't just cut features to make it in pair with other devices
>Please, use your fucking brain. You can't simply port a platform originally made for desktop traffic without any changes to mobile devices, and as companies hate having differences in functionality between different platforms for a single website/app and actually prefer consistence they're gonna have to dump a few ancient features here and there to make room for new shit that works on all screen sizes.
As i said above, porting isn't necessary, what is necessary is something else to do the same thing, something that youtube doesn't plan to implement.

>What was the point of annotations anyway? What can be done with them that can't be done with cards, that (i) button and the description?
Instead of writing this rambling rant you could have read the thread, so you would know.

Your 4 star rating is another man's 2 star rating.
Even if you enjoyed the video the same.
It's good from an autistic perspective in a perfect world without retards, but it just so happens we're a lot closer to the opposite of that, especially on youtube.

>something else to do the same thing

Yeah, they exactly provided that.
Cards, Clickable 'thumbnails' in videos, the (i) sidebar box thingy, polls.

What is missing??

I read your post in Scully's voice

>can't link to whatever site you want in a card, have to add a site to your account to do it (and it has to be approved by google)
>can't link to a certain timecode in your video with a card
>can't have a card that just displays text
Wow, thanks, this is totally the same thing as annotations!

I can't support this post enough. This x1000.
THAT'S YOUR FUCKING FAULT GOOGLE, WHAT THE FUCK SHIT REASON IS THAT?

They've taken one of the best sites on the internet and turned it into an absolute garbage shithole. They've made it really really hard to find good videos and the worst part is, it's more successful than ever. And I still use it.

Just fuck normies. Fuck people who care about a channel's subscriber count, fuck people who care about production value, fuck people who fall for clickbait, fuck custom thumbnails, fuck allcaps titles, fuck youtube red, fuck Google's shitty recommendations, fuck trending, fuck adverts, fuck paid content, fuck the default homepage, fuck the comment system, fuck google+, fuck the shit copyright system, just fuck youtube and google overall. What a huge steaming pile of fucking bullshit.

>it's more successful than ever.
google doesn't profit from youtube

of course it does

do you think they run the site out of goodwill?

Annotations were for corrections on wrong things or updates on things that have changed since the video was published.

>Cards, Clickable 'thumbnails' in videos, the (i) sidebar box thingy, polls.
support.google.com/youtube/answer/6140493?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

None of those can replace annotations

no, they literally lose money off it
businessinsider.com/youtube-still-doesnt-make-google-any-money-2015-2

>be me
>register a shitload of 3 letter username account back in the day
>can no longer log in with username
>don't remember any emails
>rip

Who cares? I've had annotations disabled for years. They are a no good annoyance.

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtubes-annotations-no-m/fajnlldimiiipghabjgnbdidcnkghkgn

dude, annotations are horribly abused

They provided a handy swtich that lets you disable annotations all together if they get annoying
Also almost everything on the internet will get horribly abused, but it's not for that that we should get rid of everything

what the fuck? they aren't even milking retards for gold, they are literally murdering themselves just to make their site worse and appeal to dickheads.

I'm absolutely, 100% going to kill myself tomorrow.

>be me, 13 y/o in 2008
>make le ebin "game hacking" videos with evanescene background music
>forget about it
>remember I did this in like 2015
>can't remember any username or email address to delete the videos and rid myself of the shame

thankfully I don't use this username/alias anymore but jesus fuck the thought alone of this crap still being out there frightens me and is the reason why I don't share almost anything publicly anymore

The 2 and 4 ratings are useless. 1 is downvote, 5 is upvote, 3 is no vote. 2 is the same as 1, 4 is the same as 5.

>Likert scales may be subject to distortion from several causes. Respondents may:

>Avoid using extreme response categories (central tendency bias), especially out of a desire to avoid being perceived as having extremist views (an instance of social desirability bias). For questions early in a test, an expectation that questions about which one has stronger views may follow, such that on earlier questions one "leaves room" for stronger responses later in the test, which expectation creates bias that is especially pernicious in that its effects are not uniform throughout the test and cannot be corrected for through simple across-the-board normalization;

Oh no, now I can't be spammed!

>I made it a habit of disabling annotations before playing a single video
I watch all YouTube vidyas in mpv, so I haven't even had the problem.

To me (and to almost the rest of the world, i think) 1!=2 and 4!=5
>Likert scales
So you just pulled out of wikipedia the cons of the likert scale (which is pretty valid btw "It is the most widely used approach to scaling responses in survey research"), how is that relevant? Now i'm not a psychologist but i think that you can't compare voting a video on the internet with compiling a survey, since a survey has the specific purpose of gathering data (and you know it). Moreover, people on youtube tell each other to kill themselves, talk about how they would fuck X or Y girl or how they would exterminate black people, do you really think they would have any conditioning giving out a 1-5 vote, especially knowing that many others have already done and will do that, and that their vote is just one of the many?

Machima was cancer form the beginning

>annotations
Disabled those with Youtube+ because they were cancer, even forgot that they existed, good riddance.

I read your post in John Waters voice.

Bad day?

Why do they make it so difficult to browse "middle-aged" videoed? I miss pages, now you have to keep scrolling forever. Oldest videos and newest videos are fine, but anything in between? Fuck you.

all you guys hating on youtube here better be using dailymotion for everything that isnt only on youtube
if that is not the case please suck googles dick in silence and stop whining cus you are part of the problem

Based.

This, even Netflix is removing star rating and going to the thumb up/down route because people gave Amy Schumer stand-up gig 1star

>First they replaced the 5 stars rating with the like/dislike bullshit
All of the rating systems that they've adopted are shit including the stars because it's not fucking clear at all what people support or oppose about videos. Are they pissed off at the content? Are they pissed off at the quality? Are they mixing the two together? What the fuck are they getting at? The comments are there, but they're typically a shitshow of irrelevant things. So the rating systems have had very little insight since they were first used.

It's plausible that they could split review and discussion into two distinct sections so that there's less bullshit about why something is thought of the way it is. Fuck, you could get real meta by including reviews for reviews (something slightly more than 'I support/oppose this whatever'). What would the downsides be?

Good change. Finally I won't have to manually disable annotation.

That could be resolved with a voting power.

If someone only gives 1 or 5 star rating, mark them as an idiot and don't make their votes count. Or make them count a lot less.

Might be more work, but then so was switching the entire platform from 5 star rating to thumbs up/down.

>romanticising youtube in the early 2000s

You are a monument to the fact that people will be nostalgic about anything.

I bet you think Star Wars hasn't made a profit yet too:

theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

>The actor who played Darth Vader still has not received residuals from the 1983 film "Return of the Jedi" because the movie, which ranks 15th in U.S. box office history, still has no technical profits to distribute.

>How can a movie that grossed $475 million on a $32 million budget not turn a profit? It comes down to Tinseltown accounting.

Don't trust any self-audited books, especially when the regulators are underfunded, have greased palms, and your honesty would force you to foot something like a 50 million dollar tax bill.

annotations, cards and end screen are all shit

> YouTube API a shit
Oh christ yeah. There's seriously no way to get a user's subscribed videos in a single hit, which is 80% of the reason anyone would use the fucking thing.

Fucking finally it goes away.

how is this good? they are just removing features from the site

Amen brother.

What about just disabling it by default instead of enabling it? I have seen some guitar videos where tabs were in annotations, I'm sure they will be happy.

Holy shit what they are doing

Oh i don't know, instead of removing it... Maybe make them work on these devices? Like any other developer would?
It's such a shitty made sentence coming from YouTube as well.
t. Autistic getting mad at this mere sentence.

>ublock

youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element
youtube.com##.ytp-pause-overlay

Oh, they're turning them off and not making them into a pay-only marketing bullshit ad cancer.
Good riddance.
Not that I ever seen them anymore, thanks to da skript.

>current state of Youtube

Oh great, now people won't be able to correct notable errors, create the ability to skip to/past sections within a video, or add important/useful things that happened or were found following the release of a video. I agree that annotations are abused by some (although I personally don't watch videos from such people), and could do with a few changes to reduce abuse, but outright removing them under the excuse of lazy developers not adding it to mobile and statistics that are irrelevant to the actual usefulness of them is just plain stupid.

I had them turned off on desktop for years now

> Oh great, now people won't be able to correct notable errors, create the ability to skip to/past sections within a video, or add important/useful things that happened or were found following the release of a video.
All of that can be fixed by Youtube video editor and video description.

good, annotations are cancer. the little "i" in the corner is what annotations should've been

they exclusively rely on a deprecated platform called "flash"

>All of that can be fixed by Youtube video editor and video description
No

Wait this a good change.