Windows vs Linux security?

Which of the two OSes is better for security? Which of them has better DESKTOP/user-space security?

PS: Remember when this happened? Has Windows had a security hole that big, that bad, and for that long?

Other urls found in this thread:

getthefacts.com
youtube.com/watch?v=NjFS8udI_c8
lwn.net/Articles/708196/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Windows has better anti exploitation features in the kernel, this is a fact.

the weakest link is the user, not the operating system

Less people make malware for Linux because Windows is overwhelming used more. Also, people who have Linux are generally more tech savvy, and there are some better aspects of security on Linux, such as file permissions and not being a root user.

Always.

None of that matters when Microsoft ships all your shit to the CIA niggers hiding in your backyard.

Interesting. Can you back up up your claim by providing the source code so that we may see for ourselves?

>hack a linux computer
>just bypasses the bootloader password screen that no one uses anyway

If you have physical access to a computer there is no security.

>Has Windows had a security hole that big, that bad, and for that long?

This isn't "that bad", and Windows has far too many to count over the years.

wrong thread schizo

Yes, and it still has.
If you replace sethc.exe with cmd.exe, and press shift 5 times on login screen, you'll get command prompt with root permissions. You can use it to change password of users.

Read Alex Ionescu's blog/Twitter
Extremely famous exploitation guy, CTO at crowd strike, and one of the lead devs on reactos
He knows window better than anyone else

>encrypted drives

>has windows had a security hole that big and old
Yes it did. An 18 year old bug which caused Google to move from Windows a couple of months ago.

And how would you replace sethc.exe with cmd.exe without logging in?

By booting linux from cd or usb.

Alex Ionescu has the source code for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10?

Do they have the source code for just the kernel or for the entire OS?

>couple of months ago.
Years ago. Only use Windows if it's necessary, anyway it's banned.They use mac and linux, maybe BSD at some place.

He did code audits of windows for m$ back in the day, and nowadays he spends all of his time reversing new patches, so he is working in assembly not in source.

Terry A. Davis works in assembly and he wrote the most secure OS in the world.

Do you know what Terry thinks of Windows 10? He thinks it's for CIA gorilla retard nigger cattle.

I don't see a connection between the Linux kernel and grub2 but okay I guess.

unrelated since you have physical access already, but a funny thing i discovered in windows is that you can replace the program that runs when you press shift 5 times (sticky keys) with cmd.exe and you can get a command prompt as SYSTEM open on the login screen

He's also schizophrenic, so you might not want to take his advice on everything.

It's ok to be schizo just take those goddamn pills and seek medical help.

Windows is, always has been, and always be the least secure of all operating systems.
Please don't respond with bullshit fud links.

Sure it is fine to be mentally ill, but don't expect everything a person with a mental illness says to be completely factual

He never actually said that, did he?

getthefacts.com

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

grub's vulnerabilities have absolutely nothing to do with Linux

who the fuck sets a grub password anyhow?

youtube.com/watch?v=NjFS8udI_c8

wtf
kek

dude is a complete psycho

I love it

Does TempleOS guy actually take any medical treatment for his condition?

I honestly feel bad for him, it's sad

Nobody is targeting linux good luck TRYING to get a virus. As for Windows idk man I always have a Windows machine that I exclusively use to pirate and play vidya on and there has never been any indication of it having a virus. I wouldn't be surprised if it was being keylogged though. The last time I had a virus was in 2011, my windows pirate box caught some ransomware. No big deal though, I immediately slammed a USB in it and reinstalled. Since then I've almost exclusively used Mr DJ repacks and haven't had any issues. Linux is GOAT but you'll be in pretty good shape on Windows as long as you use Ublock and Windows Defender.

>Has Windows had a security hole that big, that bad, and for that long?

How to get into any version of windows in the last ten or so years without third party shit:
1) Insert the windows recovery cd into the computer and reboot
2) Open the command prompt option.
3) Replace sethc.exe in the system32 folder with a copy of cmd.exe renamed to sethc.exe
4) reboot, and remove the cd
Hitting shift five times on the login screen now gives you an administrative command prompt.

This is probably the dumbest fucking thing people have ever said about security.
Go replace your xserver with /bin/bash

>grub passwords
>not encrypted
>important exploit
>anything to do with loonix

Posting in a CIA shill thread.
We don't suck jew nigger cock here.
Go herd your nigger cattle, we got a space alien.

You completely missed the point, almost any physical access to a machine means it is compromised. Be it backspacing twenty-eight times, or replacing a file. It makes no difference.

How can they replace xserver if all my disks are encrypted?

Linux a shit!

>Has Linux desktop security rotted?

>Evans had some unpleasant thoughts for the Linux community:

>This was too easy. It should not be possible to find a serious memory corruption vulnerability in the default Linux desktop attack surface with just a few minutes of looking. Although it's hard to say it, this is not the kind of situation that occurs with a latest Windows 10 default install. Is it possible that Linux desktop security has rotted?

>The free-software community is often proud that switching to a Linux desktop is an almost surefire way to avoid many of the security issues that plague users of the Windows operating system. Malware for Linux desktops practically doesn't exist. However a lot of that added security may simply be attributable to the fact that fewer people use Linux and thus it is a less attractive target for malware authors. If the Linux desktop wants to stay a secure choice for users it needs to strengthen its security. Bug finding techniques, safer programming languages, sandboxes, and additional exploit mitigation techniques can all play a role in this.

lwn.net/Articles/708196/