Apple suck because they changed their iPod cable once in 16 years

>Apple suck because they changed their iPod cable once in 16 years

B-but but sheeple!

Can I borrow your dongle?

>completely missing the point

I guess this must be what it's like to be mentally retarded.

Yeah IKR

Stop hatin on Apple just coz it mad and poor and they make better computers

Only a smart company would remove replace all peripheral ports with one type of standard.

Type C is the future so Apple is just really progressive and smart

All computers should remove all RJ-45 ports and replace them with LC Duplex and then all graphics cards manufacturers should only have Displayport on their GPUs

Why stop there? It's the year 2017. We have to get rid of outdated CPU architectures like x86 and replace it with an all new and progressive architecture!

It's not like you need newer, faster cables when you need iTunes to transfer anything over the proprietary serial bus of your Facebook toy device.

Hey lost /s

[mad max: fury road "that's bait" gif]

It would be one thing if they were upgrading to a better connector, like USB does. But in this case the connector was a downgrade both in robustness and pinout.

>ADB
>Firewire 400 6-Pin
>Firewire 400 4-Pin
>Firewire 800 9-Pin
>iPod 30-Pin Dock Connector
>Lightning
>Thunderbolt

Apple doesn't change connectors ever.

USB A: Ubiquitous use. Almost every cord terminates on one end with this.
USB B: Used mainly on printers, and a few other prehiperals.
USB Mini-A: Rarely used.
USB Mini-B: Used on slightly older electronics, still found on newer ones, though not nearly as prevalent. Depreciated.
USB Micro-A: Rarely used in consumer electronics. Depreciated.
USB Micro-B: Most common type connector, found on a vast majority of electronics out today.
USB Micro-B 3.0: Used as a stop-gap until 3.0 connectors were finalized. Can use 2.0 Micro-USB without problems (only uses 2.0 speeds).
USB C: Newest standard, will likely be used universally.

I suddenly realized I typed all this and feel like a fool for doing so. Oh well.

Regardless, USB is here to stay. Even Apple is jumping on the USB bandwagon with their Macbook line. Even their Beats stuff has Mini-USB B on it.

>Lightning is less capable and less robust than 30 pin

Do you expect anyone to believe you? People have owned these things, you know.

I do. Lightning is complete ass.

I'm curious as to why. I like the design of Lightning due to how there are no thin plastic pieces to possibly be snapped off from angling oddly like with Micro USB.

The speeds could be better though.

Physically it's a weak piece of shit that breaks if you look at it wrong. And capability wise, just look at the pinouts between the two. The 30-pin supported a fuckton of protocols such as USB, FireWire, line-in, line-out, RS-232, etc. Meanwhile Lightning's just an overly complicated general purpose shitshow.

>physically it's weak
It's less fragile than 30-pin, what are you smoking?

I have an extremely difficult time believing that. I mean, I've only got anecdotal evidence to work with but I saw more broken Lightning ports in the first year of its existence than the previous ~10 years of the 30-pin.

I've owned quite a few iDevices over the years. You have to be insane to think 30 pin and its port are more sturdy than Lightning and its port. What the fuck.

I've had countless devices with 30-pin connectors, some are over a decade old and it's still sturdy as fuck. Meanwhile to charge my 5th gen iPod I have to keep the bottom half of the iPod elevated to keep its weight on the connector and twist the cable a few times before inserting it so it tries to spring back presses the connector to the pins. Never again.

*5th gen iPod touch

> TYPE B

T H I C C

Here's the thing though.
Aside from the A and C connectors, every single one of those connectors terminated on one end with an A connector.

The big difference with Apple, though, is that many many companies make docks which have a male version connector sticking out of them to plug your iToy into. So when they change the connector on their devices suddenly a huge range of products are immediately incompatible and the companies have to iterate their products as well.

Going to USB-C is a move that will be beneficial to everyone in the long run, though, because it will be the main connector going forward and allows dock compatibility across a greater range of devices.

>DisplayPort
I think you mean HDMI 2.1

The second revision of lightening unbeknownst to consumers greatly strengthened the port and male connector

Type A is still in use and completely backwards compatible in all but USB C power spec
Micro USB was a direct replacement to mini USB, which was simply "the small USB, for phones and such"
I've never seen a micro A or mini A, I can't imagine it's for anything but extremely niche components that might was well be proprietary
FireWire was forced into existence because of guess who? Apple
Superspeed micro USB was dumb but the only way possible to include the full data pinout
USB C is reversible, has a high minimum power spec, is completely compatible with previous USB (like all USB data specs) and is compatible with thunderbolt
There's different connectors but they all do the same thing and are fully compatible. Only two of those connectors are on computer systems IO

>FireWire was forced into existence
Apple was just one of many companies behind FireWire. It didn't make it as far as it did just because Apple liked it, it was a thing because it was great. The issue was that FireWire was more costly to implement than USB so the inferior protocol won.

/thread