Should I learn Emacs or Vim? I have time for only one

Should I learn Emacs or Vim? I have time for only one.

Other urls found in this thread:

sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/unix-as-ide-introduction/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Vim, emacs is trash.

Emacs, vim is trash

vim desu

Vim

Vim

this chinese meme is shit and makes no sense.

Emacs is better but enjoy your broken pinkie

>I have time for only one.
Impossible. Vim takes a month, Emacs takes a lifetime.

what is a vim

Vim

>broken pinkie
>retard hasn't heard of the space cadet layout
When will this meme die?

I don't know where they come up w/ all these. This Kik anime group I'm in is full of these memes. The only funny one translated as
>But it doesn't eggs
Fuck, I love language. Programming or spoken, I love them all.

>space cadet layout
explain it to me, and does it have relation to 3d space pinball?

none of them are correct though. also
>kik

Just use Visual Studio Code you mongoloid.

I've seen people say Hillary needs to be shot (which she does) on Kik, and nothing happened to them.

vim my man

what does that have to do with anything?

and get this pol shit out of here

vim is a text editor that makes you a magician at any *NIX prompt.

Emacs is an shitty IDE from the 80's that is driven by a mountain of slow, buggy scripts written in an inferior dialect of a dead language.

Learn vim. You'll thank me later.

lisp is dead? or is it just other languages are more popular now days? because lisp seems p g

They both suck for any person who wants to really get work done. Any person with a job uses an IDE and any person really working on something special doesn't have time to wrestle with a text editor.

With that in mind, VIM would help you more in the long run.

Many people with a job still use VIM.

No doubt vim. If you login into any unix-like system, chances are vim is there. Emacs? tough luck.

You can learn emacs anytime later, but it's not anywhere as useful as knowing vim.

Learn vim, vi is in POSIX and practically installed by default on every unix-like system: OpenWrt, BSD, Android and so forth. vi keybindings is a standard, these keys are in less for example and so forth.

Emacs is the pic related.

VIM

emacs is a really shitty, outdated IDE. Odds are you'll either use an IDE provided by your company, a modern hobbyist IDE, or a custom rolled IDE. If you roll your own it's just as easy to build on VIM as it is emacs. For the other two scenarios, VIM doesn't try to be an IDE; just a powerful text editor. This means it is far easier to integrate into any given IDE (many have vi bindings, good ones will let you use your own text editor if you want and you can use vim) than emacs.

for what purpose?

Editing text?

Neither. Both are outdated fucks and have been overtaken by far superior software.

writing code: emacs
editing code: vim

>I have time for only one.

fuck off.

just use both, evil

>evil
>opening the emacs os to edit a text file

Can i use vim on droid edit? I have life insurance on my hands and wanna cash out.

>i only have time for one
It depends on what you want then. Vim is a great editor and emacs is a great OS.

> Ever closing emacs in the first place

I suck with both but vi has been easiest to learn.
People use vi and vim interchangeably a lot of the time I'm not sure how true that is.

is this true
i only see autismos using vim

Are you a cultist? Then emacs. Do you want to learn a tool that's actually good? Then vim.

Evil is a joke.

Bullshit. Everyone uses editors in the real world, except for videogame development or HDLs.

Just use ed.

is this supposed to be in chinese or something? or is it purposefully nonsense?

motherfucking

neovim

>Have to use special keyboard to not injure yourself

What does that expression even convey? Was this drawn by an autistic?

Vim is a really good choice. All of the best programmers I know use it, and some will make fun of you if you don't. I had a dream about Vim search and replace last night.

The thing that makes vim so powerful is that you stop touching your mouse while you're editing code and working inside the terminal. Everything becomes a keyboard shortcut or keystroke. When you consider your career as 50 years of sitting behind a keyboard, large ergonomic improvements become very desirable to learn now. And so people use Vim.

On a personal note. I got RSI after five months at my first programming job, because I am more susceptible than average to it. I then bought an Advantage Kinesis keyboard, switched to Dvorak, and went pure Vim with everything. I now can code really fast, my hands never hurt, I never have to look at my keys, and I'm very comfortable with Vim - I would guess that 50% of my keystrokes are the minimum for the task I'm using them for.

Vim

Just don't be one of those retards who uses it to look cool and doesn't even have any plugins installed.

it's a chinese guy who translates his own images

>he fell for the 40 year old lisp virtual machine made for developing itself meme

>he fell for the 40 year old text editor made for remote editing over a 300 baud connection meme

>He fell for the 40 year old programming language meme

Are you using terminal Vim?

/len*:%s//length

>Autistics unironically believe they can formulate this line from start to finish in less than 2 seconds.

>dedicated jerkoff key

nice

/len
^ search for the next occurrence of "len"
^ find all instances of the token under the cursor, and jump to the next one. So will match len but not strlen.
:%s//length
^ replace everything matched by the last search with length in the whole document

Literally use this pattern 10 times a day, don't even have to think about it at this point

Faster than in sublimeme for sure.

Doesn't mean it's faster

That wasn't faster...

That was faster because the sublimeme one doesn't touch things that aren't onscreen and cheats for selection time (note how the vim one includes the time to type the string, to make a typo and to correct it, which is a realistic scenario, whereas the the meme one selects shit basically instantly).

Vim is only useful if you're an instructor.

>cheats for selection time
What are you on about?

>Doesn't touch things that aren't on screen
Cause it's changing for that function, not the whole file.

Being generous, it's as fast as sublime, sans the muscle memory to get to that point.

>If you roll your own it's just as easy to build on VIM as it is emacs.
Go write some VimL then come back and say it again.

You don't need to use viml, though. And even then that's arguably still easier to use, not because the language is better or easier to use itself, but because vim is better designed so you don't need 3 miles of code to make sure you're compatible with the most popular plugins while disregarding the others because it's too much work.

>he fell for the moving around with the arrow keys and editing everything by hand meme

vim always vim or spacemacs

Spacemacs.

Just use a butterfly.

Vim. Funnier to learn and more useful than emacs.

I'll offer a different perspective:

if you happen to be into graphic design, and prefer the keyboard shortcuts of Corel Draw, then learn Vim. If you prefer Illustrator's shortcuts, learn Emacs.

sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/unix-as-ide-introduction/

Inb4 Wincuck dev. I don't give a fuck :^)