Linux word processors

What is the most aesthetic word processor for linux and why is it WPS Office? Libre commie office suit doesn’t even come closer to the Chinese made visually and practically useful word processor.

Also rant -
>be fedora 25
>user removes libre office crapware
>user installs WPS office
>gets butthurt
>users updates the system
>downloads 200 MB of libre crapware anyway
>that will show him >:^)

Why is fedora such butthurt? Lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamer_(LaTeX)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

LaTeX

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer
>using the smiley with a carat nose

> why is it WPS Office?

Your assumption is wrong. It's Vim + LaTeX.

>using the smiley with a carat nose
There's literally nothing wrong with the smiley with a carat nose.

>downloading, installing and running the chinese botnet
shiggy

fpbp

what is this aesthetic meme appearing all over Sup Forums as of late?

>ugly
>noses in smilies are deprecated

Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

Hardmode: which one is compatible with freebsd??

>word processing
>typesetting

What is this the 90's? Use a semantic language like asciidoc.

This.
Anything else is bullshit and for plebs only

>2020-3
>not using LaTeX

latex

>typing extra codes along with document texts
>similar to writing HTML formatting to make a simple document

This is autism in action. Also how do you code slides in latex you retards? lol

not an opinion if its correct

Google docs is the best Office replacement. Libre office can't even find grammatical errors.

damn, that looks really good.

I still don't understand why Ribbon UI got as much flak as it did to be honest

>Also how do you code slides in latex you retards?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamer_(LaTeX)

well, TeXMaker at least

Say what you will about WSIWYG editors, there's always a compromise being made somewhere along the way that, unlike with latex, you just have to work around

>I still don't understand why Ribbon UI got as much flak as it did to be honest
Because it is different. People have to re-learn where every option is.
Now people complain when an Office application does NOT have the ribbon UI, as they are used to it and would have to re-learn where everything is.

>People have to re-learn where every option is.

If this is considered troubling in the adult world then why are there so many unfulfilled angry NEETS kicking around here? Most of us are pretty smart!

This is only good for phones. I have sent out applications and CVs using google doc on the go. It works pretty well too but feels very basic on computers.

wordgrinder
vim+goyo
latex

if you're man enough.

It's probably the most reddit emote I know

although latex is batshit retarded and nothing makes any sense and its impossible to use

it's actually Sup Forums personified :^)

if there is a major UI change people will always complain about it.
look at what happened to windows 8.
it's not as if the start page was worse than the start menu. it actually has a lot of advantages. but people are so used to the start menu they never even gave it an honest try.

should I be surprised that a drooling office drone is too dumb to figure out a few key shortcuts to use latex efficiently?

>being a sub 70 IQ brainlet

>Sup Forums personified :^)
yeah, the last few years of 4reddit for sure.

The civilians were the smart ones, user

Use pandoc markdown, it's lets you output Word 2010 docx without even needing to start a X11 graphical environment.

I just use google docs if I need to shit out a easy doc, but if I want something to look nice and how I want (anything with equations, lab reports, etc.) I use LaTeX. It's surprisingly fun to write the code and see how nice the PDF comes out. I actually enjoy it, lol.

This, once you have a good template you just write what you want and get a great looking and organized document.

>if there is a major UI change people will always complain about it.
Yeah sure, I just think there was too much whinging all things considered, i mean it's not like alt menus were all that amazing

I am the Sup Forums now :^)

>using the smiley with the carat nose
>quoting the smiley with the carat nose

>Not using the smiley with carat nose

:^)

>once you have a good template
I never understood why so many people insist that latex is hard to use?
With latex, people make documents by focusing on the content, everything else is irrelevant.
Most people can get away with just selecting a correct document type, maybe adjusting the margins, but other than that, the biggest trap new latex users fall into is that they need to customize everything like they do with a word document.

The job of document designer is separate from the job of the writer, which is separate from the analyst who makes the data.

>I never understood why so many people insist that latex is hard to use?
really?

What you said is extremely out of touch with reality.

>>similar to writing HTML to make simple document
XML is not a good format if you want humans to write the documents.
It is more precise and you can read an incomplete document, which is why it is great for webpages, but it is not great for people who writes a lot of documents.
Latex is good because you basically write a flat text file and you can invoke special commands when needed.

>Also how do you code slides in latex you retards? lol
I personally use beamer.
There are limitations compared to powerpoint and libreoffice presentations, but any speaker will tell you that all those things should be avoided anyway.
Small fonts, animations, even notes should be avoided.
You have videos embedded in pdf's, but mostly, presentations should just be a single image per frame and they are better this way.

>not writing directly in Postscript.

Had a professor that did that with all his presentations, but he worked on a GUI for Unix workstations that was primarily postscript based.

yes.
It is a self fulfilling prophesy.
But it is a lie.
You can learn 99% of what you need to know about latex in 10 minutes to an hour.
I can see why it is hard to use if you don't speak english, but most people do at this point.
Or do you believe that all documents require lengthy mathematical proofs and tikz diagrams, fancy headers, custom margins etc?

I have collaborated with people who typed stuff into word, then pasted everything into the right document, just because they think that latex is harder or something.
It is like algebra.
It is one of the most simple form of mathematics, yet some people hear the word algebra and curl away thinking it is "too hard" or something.

Beamer is a bad joke, pdf is not made for presentations, it's painful to theme, creating non standard layouts is counter intuitive and embedding videos is a chore and don't work on all readers.

I've been using Reveal.js + Mathjax for about a year now, and to be honest I don't understand how it is not the standard by now, shit works amazingly.

>pdf is not made for presentations
Why not?
>it's painful to theme
Depends on how much you want to change, there is a ton of options you can use, I personally only need a font, color and a logo, how much do you theme your presentations?
>creating non standard layouts is counter intuitive
It is a presentation. If you are doing something that is hard with beamer, you probably shouldn't do it.
>embedding videos is a chore
\usepackage{multimedia}
\movie[options]{placeholder box if movie is not supported}{path/to/file}

What is wrong with this?
>don't work on all readers
I really don't see the problem here. If you are making a presentation, you make sure that it works on what you use.
>Reveal.js + Mathjax
never tried it, never felt the need to use something else.
I rarely put equations in my presentations, I am not a teacher.
Beamer is just convenient because I can reuse everything from my papers in my talks if I need that.

Is there a smart spell checker? Can I have a tool just run and tell me I used the wrong form of "their" or "this 'are' did he 'is'"?

Most aesthetic? Wouldn't know. I don't give a rat's ass about aesthetics. Functionality's the only thing that matters, which is why I've been making a habit out of using LaTeX for my documents whenever I can. Auto formatting from word processors can be a bit of a hassle to deal with, especially when alignment gets screwed up, and when bulleted lists that go several layers deep get concerned. In some senses, I have found it is easier to just describe how I want something to be structured using commands, rather than fighting with a GUI that doesn't always do things in the way that you want.

The topic for this thread was about word processing, not presentation slides. While LaTeX can be used to do presentation work I suppose, it is most ideal for documents.

LaTeX + TexMaker = god
working in group projects is a bitch tho since plebs dont know latex

>I pretend I'm le epic science man starter kit
Fun if you know it, but trying to act like it's a suitable replacement for common WYSIWYG document processing solutions is fucking retarded and only shows how detached you are from the real world, nobody wants or should have to deal with a language for that kind of simple shit, and chances are most of the shit you do that you think so highly of don't need any of the advantages TeX offers in the first place.

It's nice to have something that generally looks good, with a decent featureset that you don't need to consult documentation and practice to utilize.

If you're in uni and doing STEM, LaTeX is likely to be mandatory

>use LaTeX for project documentation
>the entire thing is a cryptic mess
>several error messages being spewed out when compiling
>somehow the document was published successfully

What a clusterfuck

>thinking that the traffic doubling was gaymergate and not the fappening
Newfags pls go

>several error messages being spewed out when compiling
might be worth reading those and fixing the issues before moving on

It was the professor's template.

emacs

latex is not a word processor. Try iatex in emacs

You'd be surprised how many professors are incapable at some simpler computer-related matters.

This guy would put Sup Forums to shame.

>Thinkpad
>Star Trek
>autism

He probably posts here

libreoffice because fuck MS for selling basic office shit that's standard by today.

But Microsoft has The Cloud(TM), goy. Its magical and you should use it because it is much more polished and technological

Oh hello wagie, still looking for that job I see. Well good luck! Soon if things go your way, you'll be paving the way for mr.shekelsteins new mansion! In the meantime I'll be here bettering myself in ways I never thought possible through meditation and spiritual ascension. Good luck!

>not being the mr.shekelstein
>not getting other wagies to suck your cock while also making you richer

what a cuck

Post that Pepe please

>unironically wanting to be a jew

>Not wanting to be a privileged-as-fuck and at the same time protected class
Sup Forums please...