Why is this allowed?

Why is this allowed?

Because normies are fine with it. This is actually quite interesting to watch. Seeing how much pounding in the ass the general clueless public will take.

>winblows 10
Because the OS was designed for retads, and they don't care about how deep Microsof't dick went up their asses.

Haha what the fuck is this real

Yes.

Though i usually remove the ethenet cord for the night and close the lid of laptop around 23:00

Incredible

My retina MacBook pro doesn't have this problem.

updates are downloaded at any time, and then executed when you're on your 'inactive hours'

as long as your laptop is still running, enjoy your assfucking

Install Windows 8.1

Yup, it figures it out without asking you.
Man, so hip.

In practice, it seems to have no effect, anyway. In my experience, it won't restart without prompting you if it detects actual activity. Might be an issue for automated stuff like torrenting, rendering video, etc., though. I'm not sure.

And it downloads updates whenever it feels like it, anyway, with no user control over it.

Sleep won't save you. I have had mine actually wake itself to install updates after I put it to sleep.

>updates are downloaded at any time
Yep. Which REALLY sucks on slow-ass DSL when Windows randomly decides to use your entire bandwidth for downloading updates.

You used to be able to control this with group policy if you were on Pro (Home users don't even have access to that), but that supposedly no longer works (not consistently, anyway).

Pretty much the only way I know of to stop it downloading updates is to mark your connection as metered (in which case it will only download critical security updates). This is easy enough to do with WiFi, but requires a registry hack for LAN connections, IIRC.

I'm getting pretty tired of it, personally. If I didn't have several piece of commercial Windows-only software I'm kind of bound to, I'd be off to Unix in a heartbeat.

>If I didn't have several piece of commercial Windows-only software I'm kind of bound to, I'd be off to Unix in a heartbeat.
use them in a virtual machine or through Wine. Or just have a work only machine, or dual boot Linux and Windows.

So it knows the best time to show ads. Click 'Save' goy.

Just download Peerblock, select the Microsoft list, block http requests too, and you won't ever get updates. Click disable to disable blocking and receive updates.

I went 8 months without updates because I thought they were just installing whenever I wasn't using my pc. It wasn't until I tried manually updating that I realized peerblock blocked Ms servers.

It literally doesn't allow you to, my mensch.

I've dual-booted before. I found it to be too much of a PITA. Some of them are too resource-intensive for a VM, and my experience in the past was that WINE was super buggy.

It's not even just work stuff, it's also Windows-only games and such.

Also, I'd probably be using FreeBSD, not Linux.

This "ads" meme needs to stop. There are no ads. Micro$oft does some shitty stuff, and I'm not going to defend them, but they're not stupid enough to bombard users with ads.

Do you even need Peerblock for that? I already have a third-party anti-virus/firewall (Kaspersky). Can't I just blacklist the M$ servers in that?

Peerblock lists are updated automatically every week. If you can add a remote list that updates routinely in Kaspersky, then by all means go for it.

Fuck off ruski

Winblows 8 does this too. Sauce: I use it

I had an eye exam yesterday.

I told the doctor that I spend 16 hours a day in front of a screen.

He laughed at me, though he tried to hide it.

Windows 10 is literally Windows 8.2.

Windows 7 was the last (really the only) good version.

>using Windows
sorry are you retarded?

I had a freakazoid webm relevant to your post but I can't find it.

How very, very sad.

If only there was a good Japanese OS to switch to.

Because you're using an OS designed for normalfags and retards

Yup it'll also start itself even if it's turned off.

I have completely disabled updates in my Win 10. So you can disable it if you really want to. But I'd recommend against using the OS in the first place.

>Using the slaves OS for years.
>Defending the slaves OS against Linux.
>Complaining about using the slaves OS.

That's when I profit.

>2017
>not using NeoKylin

>if it detects actual activity
so the computer is constantly polling to see what you're doing... that's not a problem in your eyes? fucking cucks.

What is a screensaver? You GNU/Linux shills are getting sloppy.

You don't have a power-saving mode on your machines?

vinelinux.org

>something that the host views and saves for the host
compared to
>something that views the host and sends the information to some unknown parties
cucks. the both of you

It's a small price to pay for playing the good video games.

What exactly is your problem with this feature?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GET FUCKED WINDOWS USERS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAv

>windows taking good care of its user by knowing their schedule so it doesn't interfere
>people spaz out like 12 year olds

jokes on you I'm using 7

Because it should let the user decide when exactly to update, not manage it for the user and allow him a minimal bit of control.

It's allowed because retards like you keep buying Microsoft products. Bill Gates himself could shit directly into your mount and while still on your knees you would silently pull out a 100 dollar bill and gently wipe him with it. If you don't like the forced updates, don't use Windows.

Well, but windows has many exclusive programs. That's the only reason I use it. As soon as Linux gets more programs, I'm gone.

Answer: they will take anything as long as their basic needs are met.
The majority of humanity has been slaves and serfs too complacent to rebel. Those of us who do care have already made the switch to better operating systems. If you haven't ditched Windows 10 on your personal computer in this year of 2050-33 then you are likely never going to, and will forever be complacent.

Because you use Windows which is fucking awful. If you keep paying for the botnet, its going to keep happening. Install Sup Forumsentoo.

What time would you like to be raped?

They they force themselves on you when you're asleep (inactive hours), so that makes it not rape.

It makes you lose unsaved data.

Else normies won't keep their shit updated. You're putting yourself at risk as well by delaying it.

thats why I still on 7. I will wait win11 :^)

Yeah because you idiots won't take security patch, so we push them down your throat.
Don't like it? Disable the "Windows update" service. Manually enabled it when you want to download updates

but your macbook pro is made by (modern) apple and thus it's shit.

My wife, as normie as it gets, was coerced into updating her laptop from Windows 8.1 by her "tech conscious" friend. It's shut down to update while she was in the middle of homeworkseveral times without her consent. She fucking hates it.

>This "ads" meme needs to stop. There are no ads. Micro$oft does some shitty stuff, and I'm not going to defend them, but they're not stupid enough to bombard users with ads.
But they literally fucking do.

There is wine for freeBSD. Do your research if you want to use *BSD

I dislike that updates are forced, and that'll do it without asking, but what really pisses me off is that they decided to limit "active hours" to a 12 hour time span. Fucking really? I'm in college. I regularly use my laptop for 18+ hours a day.

>vinelinux
tell me more about it please

I'm a Microsoft fanboy and I'll defend Microsoft against complains about their forced updates and "muh botnet", but this is obviously true and it's frustrating.
Suggested apps, "Get Office" app, and Candy Crush Soda Saga preinstalled and you can't uninstall them unless you know the remove-appxpackage powershell command are all ads.

It use to be 8 and then people complained enough to bump it to 12. Their primary focus is businesses. I want it to be 16 hours, but I just set a time to install rather than rely on active hours.
Also you need more sleep if you are on your laptop 18+ hours, or go make some friends

> what is ubuntu

>Also you need more sleep if you are on your laptop 18+ hours, or go make some friends
I'm not on it 18+ hours everyday, but I have labs and classes from 7:45 until 5:30 every Friday, and then homework and what not that's usually due by midnight. Quite often I work up until midnight. Regardless of my sleep habits, the point is I don;t have a 9-5 work schedule and use it for more than just school, so the first and last things I do each day involve using it. I can't have Windows telling me to go fuck myself at 10:30 pm when I have a lab report due at 12. It's my fucking laptop. I should be able to decide when and when not updates are applied. Telling me to pick a 12 hour window where I use my laptop is bullshit. I use it throughout the entire fucking day, and no one is only awake for 12 fucking hours.

>go make some friends
I'm actually married, in two different academic societies, and taking 17 credits for an EE degree. My social life is fine. The point is my operating system is supposed to help Me use My computer; not tell me when I can and can't.

You can disable the automatic update/restart task.

Then just disable it and install updates when you want/need to

>buy laptop for school
>comes with Windows 10 Home
>Windows 10 Home literally does not allow you to disable automatic updating
>have to pay $100 for the "feature" to disable your computer being forcefully restarted

My Windows7 PC doesn't have this problem.

Because it's their operating system and they know you're too dumb to switch.

Because if you are using windows then you must be retarded therefore it is perfectly fine to force you to do things 'for your own good'.

Read a post before delivering a dumb reply

?

Between 1 and 12 hours?
Fucking casual trash

Maybe she should turn her computer off literally ever, so windows updates on it's own.
I've never had my PC shut down at random to update because I turn it off every night and it updates when it needs/ wants to.

dunno how many times this shit has woke me up in the middle of sleeping, there was an update tonight and I had to go up at 2am and turn my computer off because it didn't go back to sleep after updating

It's an absolutely massive price.

I wouldn't use Windows if I didn't have to.

>don't use windows 7 it's insecure
>proceeds to disable updates on 10

how? last i checked there were bullshit solutions that let you sorta kinda get around it but not actually turn the task off. since this is the main reason why i don't use Windows 10 anymore (and have moved on to Linux), i'm all ears.

>I'm a Microsoft fanboy and I'll defend Microsoft against complains a
so fucking done with this board.

what consumerism does to people jesus

>tfw don't have Internet
Still can't escape

>gets windows 10
>can't even tweak it properly

you really are something, aren't you?