7700 vs 1700

Going to do a new build. Which of these two CPUs should I get? Not overclocking.

i7-7700 or R7 1700

(Not k or x versions. Just those two)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BipVR5-YM_Y&t=1300s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Neither.

1700 and you should overclock since you don't need an X to do it and it can even be done on the B350 boards.

Are you a gameboy color? Get the intel.
Are you a programmer? Get the AMD
Are you a rich man? Get the Intel
Are you a Linux? Wait for AMD to release actual documentation and the get the AMD

Hope this helps user.

Why don't you answer that question yourself?

>heavy gaming, older titles, 144hz monitor
i7 7700k
>heavy lightroom or photoshop
i7 7700k

>anything else
r7 1700

Is the GIMP gimped by AMD?

no one who edits photos to the extend to care about which CPU to buy is using gimp

take the i7. ryzen is garbage-tier at every level

7700 does worse job at professional workflow then Ryzen does at gaming.

If ryzen wasn't out you will be probably buying a shitty i5.
You are tempeted to buy the i7 because ryzen it's all round better the i5 and you are insecure about amd platform.

If you want a future proof system, take ryzen, otherwise go for a used i7 (6xxx or 4xxx) they will go the same on 2k (because if you buy a strong cpu and you play at 1080p, you are wrong my friend)

I don't know why but anything a nigga does is inherently funnier

Black men are viewed as more masculine, fierce, primitive.

The contrast then plays off more.
Consider asian guy would do that. It would be less funny as we perceive them as less masculine, non threatening, not as manly.

get an amtel, they're rare but the purple led's make your skin nice and your boipucci tighter

amd is bad, red subatomic led infrastructures built into the die make your system hotter and can make you angrier during heavy gaming, potentially leading to a ragequit event and subsequent system destruction, this is why ryzen does poorly with memory, because the electrons are super heated when sent to memory which leads to ram downclocking due to the velocity being too high for the rest of the system

intel is bad because the blue led's make your system too cold, slowing down the electrons in the die of the cpu, which can lead to system freezes and hangs. this also can lead to rage but at least the user has a way to cool off. overclocking doesn't seem to help this phenomenon, its mostly affecting the ram as well as the memory "forgets" data as the intel electrons are too cool and thus slow for adequate data flows

amtel ftw

7700K is only viable if you want to game specifically with a 144hz monitor.

For mainstream compuitng and gayming, get i5-7600 at most and Pentium 4368 if you are on a budget. i7-7700K makes little sense at this time.

For real workloads and programming, get R7 1700 or 1600.

i7-7700K is overpriced garbage if you care about gaming. i5-7600K has 98-95% of it for almost $100 less. Hyper-threading does jack for it for mainstream and gaming workloads. The workloads that do take advantage of HT fare far better under a Ryzen R7 1600-1700 for about the same cost as a i7-7700K.

I expect to get more out of a 1700 in the long run.

properly multithreaded applications are bound to become more numerous, not less.

the AM4 platform will be supported for 4 (or was it 5?) years so at the end of its life a simple CPU swap is an easy upgrade, in contrast to intel's policy of releasing a new socket every other year for no good reason.

even in the scenarios where the 7700K has a clear advantage it's not relevant for me as I don't care whether I get 200 or 300 fps in dota.

also a 65W TDP 8c/16t CPU is damn sweet for small form factor.

1700 also get a board with type-c USB

7700K can't reach above 120fps in any modern game at any high resolution. It's the worst suggestion you can make.

I think you should wait.

Games are slowly starting to make use of many threads. Watchdogs 2 is a good modern example, and classics like Total War and Arma have always made use of many cores. Also i7s hit the highest clock speeds which is better for high refresh rate gaming and good for 1% lows provided the overclock is stable. Also OP asked to compare the R7 1700 and the i7 7700.

OP if your primary purpose is gaming then go with intel. If your primary purpose is production or mixed workload then go amd

That's not the processor's fault you mongoloid

>That's not the processor's fault you mongoloid

Actually it is as GPUs can easily match those framerates. 7700K shorts out just above 100fps in every situation. The processor is soaked by then.

>Actually it is as GPUs can easily match those framerates. 7700K shorts out just above 100fps in every situation. The processor is soaked by then.

Are you retarded? Skip to 17 mins

youtube.com/watch?v=BipVR5-YM_Y&t=1300s

This is wrong, and you fucktards need to stop repeating it.

Many titles from the past few years get 40%+ higher minimum framerates with HT than without it. And significantly higher averages as well.

Games not utilizing HT is now the exception rather than the rule. Only a few recent games that are just reusing super old engines don't benefit from it now days.

This. Real question is here :

I'm strongly considering replacing my cpu with an i7 4790k but I doubt I could sell my i5 and the i7s are all going for what they were new or more because of low supply

Yeah the 4770k and 4790k were both great. Pretty much the last CPU Intel made worth buying for gaymen except for the 5820k.

I would have upgraded to them, too, if Intel didn't make me buy a new motherboard after I had just gotten a 2500k years ago.

Before that I was all AMD for 10 years didn't hardly have to do ever that shit. I'm never getting Intel again.

tfw owning an AMD CPU + AMD GPU and having one panel to manage both

I searched for kicks and giggles and found a guy selling a 4790k for $200. He says he bought it without realizing he needed an LGA 1151 processor. I'm guessing he didn't use pcpartpicker and got a Z170 mobo and a devil's canyon cpu. Gonna go for it because I doubt I will ever see a 4790k for that low ever again. That's less than what I paid for my 4690k.

Kinda nervous about cragslist but then I sold my gtx 970 to some kid who was building his first pc so this guy is probably a regular person who dun goofed and is trying to get some of his money back

Could always see if he'll let you see if it boots.

14 year-old spotted

>also a 65W TDP 8c/16t CPU is damn sweet for small form factor.
That was the most damaging thing AMD did with the new core design. It's nice on the desktop/workstation but it fucking kills in the server room.

i see no reason to give intel money anymore

just got myself a i7 7700 and it's been pretty good so far but i haven't really put it to the test. also paired it with a gtx 1070.

as a former AMD fanboy Ryzan was very tempting but really devs still aren't optimising for AMD so it didn't seem worth going back

Id get 1700. But you should overclock it at least little bit. Its harmless and can be done in few clicks.

is AMD still putting pins on the chips rather then the mobo? if so go Intel. so many fucking AMD chips come with bent pins out of the box

Have you ever had to repair LGA pins? You'll want for PGA.

nope because unlike AMD they don't come fucking bent.

They end up bent pretty easily, or lose tension. I've had it happen in a few servers, you start getting random ass errors like RAM appearing to fail.

It makes the motherboards cheaper.

Snowy Owl and Naples will be BGA, though.

AMD catches up to 7700K gaymen performance by setting high performance power control and disabling the high precision event timer.

Haha what?
My LGA pens got bent before.

Pins on the CPU are much thicker and are harder to bend.

However I will say that LGA pins, since they're so much thinner, are easier to repair.

Not entirely, but it's close.
Really we'll need to see how games and Windows patches go.

The fucker wont even reply. Maybe I'll hear from him tomorrow

7700 if you want better performance right now. 1700 may have potential to beat the 7700/7700k after some software tweaks, but it's worse right now for vidya. Also will be better if games start using more threads.

heh. just as i always suspected.

x version from AMD means you don't have to OC