/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/600a5m/3200mhz_vs_2400mhz_ram_details_inside/
strawpoll.me/12552042
gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup
my.mixtape.moe/okxlow.mp3
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA79U3W02843&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL031717C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL031717C-_-EMC-031717-Latest-_-OnboardCameraSystems-_-9SIA79U3W02843-S0H&ignorebbr=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How does one watch a deleted video legitly?

Is it hard to replace the 18650's on a laptop battery?
Dangerous?

Please shed some light on this :
tl;dr : if 3200mhz RAM goes into a mobo that doesn't support more than 2400mhz, will the CL also downscale or will it stay the same?

>tl;dr : if 3200mhz RAM goes into a mobo that doesn't support more than 2400mhz, will the CL also downscale or will it stay the same?
Yes, is it worth it? no.

What encryption software should i use for my flash drives? should work on linux and windows

Will GNU/SystemD or SystemD/EMACS ever supplant Linux?

He said it's the same price, so yeah, it kinda is.

Why wouldn't it be worth it if they cost exactly the same?

If they are the same price then it is worth it, but it wont matter if the motherboard doesn't support XMP.

B250 does have XMP to bump 2133 to 2400.

Also regarding this whole topic I went ahead, made an account and posted over there
reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/600a5m/3200mhz_vs_2400mhz_ram_details_inside/
and apparently the 3200Mhz RAM might not even have a 2400Mhz profile built in. While I'm sure it'd be easy to achieve anyway with a Z270 I'm not sure a B250 could.

Does Sup Forums apps like Clover strip meta data like gps/coordinates from photos like the website does?

How can I tilt the fan towards the motherboard at a certain angle? Pic related

I want to do this so that the VRMs gets more airflow, and I can't install a fan next to the VRMs

Does linux run slow on a live usb? programs freezes when I use the usb

If the resource it is going to use isn't already cached in RAM it'll have to load it from the USB so yes. It can be bound to the USB speed.

What is the purpose of the finally block in java exception handling?
What is the difference between
try
{
//dangerous code
}
catch (Exception exception)
{
// Deal with the error
}
finally
{
// do something else???
}

and
try
{
//dangerous code
}
catch (Exception exception)
{
// Deal with the error
}
// do something else???

No one do this guy's homework let him figure it out

Finally runs even if you don't catch the exception or reraise in the catch block, and even if you return in the try or catch block.

Ideally you would want that fan to exhaust the hot air that rises to the top of the case and the front
and side fan if applicable would work as an intake for cool air.

God dammit why? This is why pajeets are taking all the jobs

Not my job, though.

I see.
So in these cases:

try
{
foo(); //may throw FooException
}
catch (BarException exception)
{
}
finally
{
baz();
}

try
{
return foo() // may throw FooException
}
catch (BarException exception)
{
return 0;
}
finally
{
baz()
}

In both these cases, baz() always gets executed before the call stack unwinds?

How come I set my gif to have a frame delay of 1, (the lowest this program will let it be,) yet when I try to post it to Twitter, it plays super slow.

Does it speed up after I actually tweet it? Or is the preview WYSIWYG?

Was wondering if Sup Forums has ever had a SSD broken
strawpoll.me/12552042

I've never had any problems

>sorry for multi thread posting

What can I do about an android phone (Honor 7) that can't have more than 2 apps open without closing them when not in use, and then restarting them when I go back to it?

It's a RAM issue, I think, but the 'RAM available' notifier hasn't really changed much compared to before this issue. The keyboard's also laggy as fuck too now.

Any way other than resetting the phone?

>tfw lagdroid wasn't just a meme

Get a new distro

That's normal in android and usually you don't even notice it cause apps restore the state they where in once you swap back.

Why is this an issue for you?

>restore the state they where in once you swap back

That's the issue -- mine doesn't. Maybe i didnt explain it well.

It can be very annoying in youtube for example when I lose the video i was watching because the app acts as if its only just opening

someone PLEASE HELP.

I CANT MAKE MOTHERFUCKING KUBUNTU SAVE ITSELF.

EVERY TIME I REBOOT THE COMPUTER, THE PIECE OF SHIT RESETS TO FACTORY SETTINGS.

PLEASE I AM ON THE VERGE OF TEARS.
Thanks and have a good day

>EVERY TIME I REBOOT THE COMPUTER, THE PIECE OF SHIT RESETS TO FACTORY SETTINGS.
Kill the hidden windows recovery partition.

are you using a live cd

No, Installed in separate HDD.

i dont know senpai, i couldnt live without my windows partition

I was just lent a book called sicp, what language should I be using this book with? common lisp or scheme?

Well I've found a way to position it, now I just need to find a way to secure it in place. I might use string

I'm milking the fuck out of this poorfag motherboard for overclocking, kek

I figured it out, I used a rubber band

Please help

>Factory settings
So your saying the partitions just disappear?

I reboot into Kubuntu and nothing is saved.
>No keyboard layout
>No wallpaper
>No shortcuts
>No ricing
>No Network Passwords.
Nothing, as if it were a fresh install

And you've physically removed the USB you installed from?

yes senpai

I know a bunch of you out there must have been forced to take a class using these shitty diagrams you'll probably never use, help me out. I can't find good resources on this stuff outside of pajeets and decade-old websites.

Example scenario: Many builders build many buildings. A report is generated detailing the process.

I'm assuming the bottom one is incorrect because a Report would be created for every builder-house relationship. So is the top one correct?

So you didn't try anything wonky with the install right? You just straight up booted the live disk then chose install?

>No 3rd party Software
>No updates during installing
>Formatted a new HDD.

So for "Install type" you chose the first option, "Erase disk and install Kubuntu"?

I've got an audio file which is damaged somehow, the track length is reported wrong and it can be played but it takes most media players a long time to load it and some just won't, you also can't skip around in the file or it just restarts.

Normally when this happens I open it in audacity and export it to an uncompressed wav before converting that into an mp3, but even the uncompressed wav is damaged and can't be converted. Can I fix it somehow? I'd rather not have to play it in one media player while recording a new file in audacity as it's a half hour radio show and there are a few episodes I need to fix like this.

mp3val and "MP3 Files Validator and Organizer" both say there's nothing wrong with the file.

>Dont Force UEFI.
>guided install.

Normally I'd say go ahead and customize your install to your liking, but if you're having weird problems and you've got a whole physical drive open for it, just go ahead and let the installer handle everything for you

I don't use it, but some searching has brought up this program: Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS)
gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup

Another suggestion was truecrypt but I'm not sure about using that one.

Is it windows or MP3 tag lying to me?

Is Coincidence detector a safe extension? I'm worried it's a botnet trying to mark us rather than (((them))).

Yes it is safe if you are using (((chrome))) it willl tell you that it's not safe.

I'm trying to downsample a game from 4k, problem is I got two monitors connected and instead of just staying on one monitor it stretches across both. What do?

Either way, wtf senpai?

Just hazarding a guess, but I'd say maybe the audio was 56, and somebody expanded it, not realizing it wouldn't increase the quality, only the filesize. In leu of that I'd put my faith in the third party tool. Windows isn't great at labeling media. 56k should sound noticeably shitty though. Like a slightly weak cellphone conversation

Windows reports the size of the container of the file, it's actual bit rate can be anything up to that amount. I don't know what MP3 tag is doing but it could theoretically be analysing the actual bit rate, but I doubt it because that's a really heavy operation. I use Spek to check the real bit rates of audio files.

How do I crimp this damn thing back on? or should I just superglue? The port still works, but it's pretty loose without it.

But music i downloaded couple years ago say they are 56 kbits but they sound good?

my.mixtape.moe/okxlow.mp3

thanks, gonna download that. ffmpeg also says that the bit rate was 124 but mp3 tag was being a proper drongo

Is there any way to move a borderless windowed application to the left or right in small increments so I can properly line it up with my monitor?

Firefox tends to freeze up and crash or needing to be closed down via the task manager after a few days of being left open.

Is there any way to troubleshoot what causes this?

Furthermore, to make matters worse, half the time after doing so, the "restore tabs" page doesn't even load so I can't recover the tabs I had open. Any effective way to troubleshoot that, as well?

Alternatively, a different web browser that can still run the same extensions that won't have these issues?

If you can activate the windows window menu and select move, you can use the arrows to move the window, and if you hold control it will move in 1-pixel increments.

Firefox has been bloated shit for years, I was having similar problems and switched to Pale Moon which is based on a version from before they started copying Chrome

Can I reconfigure the tab backup time so it's not making a new I/O disk write every tenth of a second and shredding my SSD in Pale Moon like I can firefox?

Goddamnit. Can't not download that song. Technoesq synthetic stuff is the best at hiding low bitrate, since you're basically just adding a tinny quality anyway. You might as well have uploaded a midi

You can, but changing that setting to a massive value as the guides recommend is probably why you've been having issues with it not remembering your tabs when you crash as you mentioned in

>shredding
You do realize your ssd will last over 2 PETABYTES worth of writes before it will show wear, correct?

Unless that SSD was made 5+ years ago, you can basically just forget it's an SSD at all. There is effectively zero need to treat it differently, other than secure erasing files and defrag.

>Can't not download that song
Why?

>You might as well have uploaded a midi
Why's that?

How the fuck do I delete shit off my iPod via iTunes and actually delete shit?

I organize my music there via playlists, and if I want to delete an album, deleting the playlist only deletes the playlist and not the actual files. I then have to manually find the tracks on the iPod and delete them.

wtf? why is itunes so fucking stupid?

How do I unlock a phone to use any sim card for free? there should be some root software to bruteforce it

Two questions

I have to reinstall windows. I suspect one of my drives has a virus on (not the os drive) how can i check the files on the other drives without compromising the new install? obv using linux but theres 2TB of stuff i need to go through.

Also how can i find out if my BIOS is infected? I have a UEFI dual bios...

A playlist is exactly that, a list of files to play.If you want to remove the files you will need to delete the files you no longer want.

Working as intended
PEBKAC

>mac.toddler

t. any user using a computer for more then 5 minutes

I think that most antivirus software are able to scan disc images safely, you could just mount the drive into an image and then scan it.

You do not have to worry about BIOS attacks unless you are a high-ranking government/corporate official. BIOS malware is almost exclusively written from the ground up to attack a very specific network of computers (or even just one).

Bios infections are still considered pretty rare at this point, although many vulnerabilities are definitely there. If yours was infected, there's pretty much nothing you could know or do about it, although virustotal does have a way of letting you upload it's contents. You could use any number of AVs to scan the drive, although nothing will detect currently undiscovered malware

Um where'd the Chrome plugins page move to??

What's the best FOSS video software?

openshot

so im really just over reacting? how do bios viruses even work / infect?

I have an Asus RT-N12+ router with a feature for a guest wifi network.
If I enable this network, will I experience signal degradation with my main secure wifi network (even when no one is connected to guest)?

thanks

Moved to chrome://settings/content

Got this dashcam off Newegg today. Seemed like a pretty good discount, and I've wanted to try out a dashcam for a while.

Did I fuck up?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA79U3W02843&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL031717C&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL031717C-_-EMC-031717-Latest-_-OnboardCameraSystems-_-9SIA79U3W02843-S0H&ignorebbr=1

Sooner or later it will probably start being a more common attack vector. But PC use is diminishing relative to mobile, and malware usually doesn't have to resort to anything that challenging to survive, so it's not a real priority for attackers. Plus newer bios will probably be designed better.

Malware would have to infect your OS and get elevated access first, and then it would have to have a means of imitating the bios flashing software. Once you were infected, it would just run the extra infected code at boot, and there's really nothing your OS could do to stop it, like when lenovo set it's bios to download and reinstall crapware automatically every time you clean installed windows

Probably not. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in something like a crowded apartment complex competing with a lot of other networks, but if it's just a couple of networks there shouldn't be too much interference

what version of windows was safe mode first introduced in?

What's a good program to export parts of a video to an image sequence? I've been using VirtualDubMod but I think it's a bit outdated.

ffmpeg

I don't mind command line but I need to visualize what I'm about to export. I guess I'll keep using that, thanks m8

use the fucking time dates to export

So because reasons I'm running a laptop base as my main computer, connected to external peripherals and all that jazz.
I have 3 usb ports, currently being used for headset, keyboard, and mouse. This doesn't leave room for a controller.
I was looking into a self-powered hub, since google says a bus-powered hub basically won't provide enough power to multiple devices at once. Probably plug it into a wall outlet nearby.
I was wondering if this is the correct way to go about this and if there's anything I should look out for other than just shitty hubs?

What kind of connector is this

Audio thinger?

yeah it connects to speakers. do you know what its called?

"Is it possible to set Google Earth to open set files when i open it, or would i have to create a shortcut that opens earth and then opens those files after a delay (so earth can startup)?"

Looks like digital optical audio

nope I don't think that's it. here is a picture I took of it

I dont, and it's bothering me because I cant find it on google. might know if theyre able to set time aside from fapping to ITAOTS or grimes

legit windows 8.1 iso where? needs to be clean and pref from microsoft.

I thought about that, but it's not like the tabs that get recovered aren't what I had open last as if it only took the last snapshot 20 minutes before, there's just no tabs it recovers period.

So I don't think the two are related, unless it takes a snapshat when firefox is frozen and it reads it as "no tabs being open" and as such it recovers nothing.

are there usb keyboards with headphone jacks