Shouldn't "realistic" spaceships be just a cube?

Shouldn't "realistic" spaceships be just a cube?

(of course they wouldn't enter atmosphere)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a9vV0bX5ZAA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why?
Yeah there's no need for aerodynamics once you're out of any atmosphere, but why specifically a cube?

I read that the ideal space fighter would be a sphere, with the ability to rotate it's propulsion and weapon systems to face towards any angle (probably sort of like a gyroscope)

Now only if we could combine the ideal shape of a sphere but still be aerodynamic when entering an atmosphere...

>Yeah there's no need for aerodynamics once you're out of any atmosphere
I think you didn't fully understand the post.

>but why specifically a cube
Most efficient way to distribute space.

No. Stress concentration. Rounded/spherical shapes >> everything else

That would require sci-fi technology.

How would they get to space without wings smart-ass

Stress? in 0G? are you mongoloid?

For actual space combat you need 360 degree mobility and weapons capability

a real space ship would be the international space station

>I think you didn't fully understand the post.
How so?

>Most efficient way to distribute space.
That would be a sphere. Also why would you care about efficiently compacting your ship if you're only ever in space? It can be a large and sprawling as you want.

It sounds like you don't actually have any idea what you're talking about

Its built in space.

>Pressurized enclosures in a vacuum
>"What stress?"

>gravity is the only thing that produces stress
You're retarded

>he thinks that we will build spaceships on the ground

lmao

Triangle is the strongest shape it's why they make bridges out of triangles.

Wouldn't tree shaped ships be better? Need top collect that solar energy as efficiently as possible.

I'm not sure it'll be a major problem once we're building ships in space, but I think spheres are harder to manufacture than cubes.

go fuck yourself

He never mentioned strength once you mong
daily reminder to filter tripfags

Tfw my descent skills will make me a coveted space warrior

You mean this thing?
youtube.com/watch?v=a9vV0bX5ZAA

You can't compete with my twin sticking

the cylinder in rendezvous with rama is the one that makes the most sense

ITT: what is the Stanford torus

>space combat
Ridiculous. It's more extreme than aviation. It's not about mobility in that sense.

The spaceship would be a sphere, but the living space would be a cube.

You'd probably design the ship with the internal space in mind more than external factors.
So we'd have rounded shapes for pressure reasons but the ship itself might be a cylinder of some form or whatever the architects find convenient.

why not a sphere?

>using a logitech shitstick
I'm actually just salty because it won't work with KSP on my mac, but still.

Actual combat ships would most likely be small unmanned housed in your main ship, all fuel/speed and weapons

>mac
drones

No.. triangles are in tension. Arches are all compression force.
Some bridges are trusses, which aren't triangles.

We have the same headset. The original Icemats got me banned from a bunch of CS 1.6 servers cause their treble reprodyction is was good - those footsteps through walls.

This. It makes the most sense to have a round object if you want to generate your own gravity anyway.

>drones
I'm lost, what?

Like a carrier from starcraft? Your main should would be 100% defense where all your crew is housed

while all space combat is done by remotely piloted drones, most likely set up in wings, or 100% AI controlled

Talking about Real Life Space Combat, it would be quick and brutal as fuck, nothing like Star Trek or Jet Fighter battles

Distribution of thrust forces, pressure vessels, movement, volume to mass.

Flying dildos still come out on top.

That has nothing to do with using a mac

This. I think if we give the ship enough mass, it would make it's own gravity, too. At that density, however, we would have to vacate the interior, what with all the mass and resulting heat and pressure in there. On the other hand, the ship could then be open to space as the necessary gasses would simply stick to the ship's surface.

>100% AI controlled
>Real Life Space Combat, it would be quick and brutal as fuck

So true I don't even want to think about it.

I mean space combat wouldn't be anything like this. Why waste space and resources for drone fighters when that can be filled with missiles or railguns.

Literally 0 reason for earth style combat in space. Like you can just fling rocks at ships or launch missiles which would be more effective at extreme distances than "AI controlled" drones.

Because if you had weapons mounted to the ship you'd need to orient the large main ship to target, if you have a small drone that has fast 360 degree movement you could position it perfectly to fire whatever weapon it has

To those of you arguing for the "strength" of shapes, you're talking fucking nonsense. You perspective is based on exposure of very small objects where the surfaces and edges are made up of few or single pieces. Yet for extreme future "space" materials all of these small scale concerns that you see in childrens toys on your carpet will be irrelevant and the important, deciding factor, of shape shall be something that we haven't even imagined yet. Perhaps we'll need best surface area to volume ratio whether that's higher or lower, so a sphere or plate shape. Perhaps propulsion or life support or power or any other unforseen mechanism requires a shape, of separating these things apart requires a shape.
Basically stop talking shit and there are such things are stupid questions.

im not against anime posters, i dont watch anime by myself, but Sup Forums is an anime website after all
your post introduces an idea too, so its not a complete shitpost, it is a good one in that aspect
i just have to ask this, how is that particular picture related to the context of all this?
did you just post it to your post gets attention, same way some people post tits and such?

spaceships should be shaped like a 2d

anime website

So have drones that take up valuable space and resources to duke it out at extreme distances? Even if you have to orient a ship to a different position would take less time and energy than launching a swarm of drones with peashooters. Tbh as meme as it sounds Halo had a decent idea on what makes a good spaceship. Literally a gun with the ship designed around it. Why make it a jack of all trades.

The answer is yes. The picture is just so that he can get attentions.
Also, to said anime fag: you write like an anime subtitle / reddit kiddy. Your ideas are childish which is absolutely OK. But you also write in statements and assertions which is not OK because it shows ignorance to the fact that you're just a musing child. Even being a child isn't a sit, all thoughts start somewhere.
Just stop being a pussy by using your anime to get attention and learn to show some self awareness.

there are many non aerodynamic factors present in vehicle design.

If you look at most spacecraft these are apparent to some degree, though manned pure space vehicles have seldome existed without constraints of launch vehicle size and aerodynamics et cetera.

Consider the desire for rtificial gravity in a crewed vehicle. this suggests a design with some means of rotation, either an unbalanced tethered design, or something built around an axis, as with toridal structures.

many craft also have regions with a need for insulation from the rest of the craft.

Nuclear engines, for example, would need to be kept away from instruments and crews if present. Certain ideas for startships tend to include large frontal sheilds for high-velocity impacts, as well as a clear front and back. Need to drop used fuel tanks also suggests tanks need exposure, and to be situated so they can easily be discarded.

additionally, depending on power source, in many cases designs call for areas of high surface area. These can be variably solar sails, photovoltaics, or raditors. Many vehicles use at least the last two. situating these on the walls of a cube or sphere is not the most efficient design.

Making spaceships is not an easy task. By leaving the atmosphere, we eliminate many design limitations placed on conventional vehicle designers, but we find ourselves faced with many new concerns unique to the roles of these spacecraft, as well as to their unconventional envieronment of operation.

you basically added nothing to the thread

I try, user, I try.

But sometimes, when the wind iss right, you can just make out the shape of a sensible thread on the horizon, and you can run toweards it but no matter how fast you run by the time you get to it it has lived its life and is being eaten by maggots, as it lays on the clean, bright green grass of the hillside, and as the sun slowly nears its teminal spot on that other distant hillside, fresh, new ideas beckoning.

No, actually. And it's because of heat.
You need places to dump heat out into space, and a square has a small surface area.

QUICK! Someone recommend me a space kino!

well, depends on the size of a sphere. A small enough one is probably alright. Trying to do, say an ISS scale thing (in volume and power use) would make heat dissipation a problem, but a cubesat is evidently alright.

s/sphere/cube/

gersh am total bad typerist (happy poly lodgies)

>space combat
>anything other then 1337 h4x0rz disabling the other ship because when a retard explodes his ship in orbit suddenly it gets much harder to get in and out of atomsphere without getting shredded by debris

What's with all of the stupidity here?

The biggest problem in space is heat dispersion. The only sustainable way of getting rid of heat is thermal radiation. You would need a ton of surface area even for a small ship. Pretty much 80% of your ship is going to end up being thermal radiators.

Pic related, the ISS

i thought those were solar panels

they have both, sometimes its hard to tell which are which, they look in principle similar, large, dark coloured panels, but the pv's try to point at the sun, whereas the radiators angle to be invisible to the sun

I mean, I agree with your sentiment, but consider that there are other ways to mitigate heat production, it depends on your options.

But radiatiors are an important thing

That pic sucks, here's another.

All of those white strips are radiators, I think there's 10 on the ISS right now.

nice, im informed now, thanks

>consider that there are other ways to mitigate heat production
Yeah, if you have a ship that basically just floats in space and doesn't do much beside provide life support like the ISS. If you needed to move around or fire lasers like that one retard in this thread brought up, you're going to need radiators like a motherfucker.

If you wanted to destroy an enemy ship, you'd target their radiators because it's going to be a fucking huge target and once their radiators are gone the ship will either need to shut down everything except life support or commit suicide.

>tfw spaceships are likely to resemble pic related rather than some sci-fi jet
I love it

Is that a saitek for one hand and a logitech in the other?

This frankensticking.... I love it

Catapult

They don't make a left handed version of the logitech one, I'd have all the buttons I need if they did

In this scenario, what is the ships purpose?

How it's built will be completely centered around that..

Just because you can post anime does not mean you should.

theyd be circles or hexagons if people werent plebs

youre not posting anime, youre shitposting

consider if i had an animu tripfag name

This post really made me think.

>what's air friction

>space
>air

this, hexagon/honeycomb is the way to go
least material for most open space

Shouldn't "serious" OP be just heterosexual?

(of course he wouldn't create such thread"

>not spheres in a hexagonal pattern

A real spaceship would be spinning all the time for artificial gravity.

Then we could simulate gravity and live on its surface.

SHUT IT DOWN

Sphere would be the strongest shape

>tfw planet earth is a spaceship. Human are the maintenance bot

Realistic spaceships need to rotate to have artificial gravity for long journeys. That is an important factor that will influence their shape. So either a long stick with habitation modules at the end, or a circular shape with habitation on the circumference.

>that moment we attach a moon sized afterburner to earths butt and rule the skies

where is the earth's butt located

africa

kek'd

that would be diamond

no assuming we have the capability to travel to other stars we obviously will have the capability to create any form of shield so the "shape" of the craft wont really matter what so ever

then the problem will be the power generation because the inertia scales linearly with size and a big ass ship will have a lot of trouble

Probably something like in Sunshine

Cannon. Like the one Jules wrote about.

Looks like little Earth pooped and still didn't clean itself.

The square windows meme.

Would all been ok if they hadn't bolted it together, the stress concentration was around areas that already had small cracks as a result.

The lumernati also use triangles

really makes you think

>lmao turungleas

Retard.

I guess you don't want corners in a pressurised cabin because they're weak spots.

Why not just a giant sphere?

Most efficient use of space would be a sphere.

BUT

Realistically you'll need to dissipate heat from the engines / weapon systems, which means huge heatsinks with radiators on the outside of the ship, away from any systems. With a sphere you have no means to store away and radiate heat so it slowly cooks everything on the inside.

Also to maneuver effectively you need leverage, i.e. thrusters as far away from the center mass as practically possible.

At the same time it would be good to have a shape that can maintain structural integrity even when damaged, AND generate its own gravity using centrifugal force.

A series of rings rotating around a central shaft would probably be the best way to go around it.

Tie fighters from star wars are a fairly reasonable shape. The main body is a shere to make it easy to have a pressurize cabin with large volume, and there's big ass radiators to dissipte heat.

Are you in a fucking closet or something?