Alternative smartphone OS

>Sup Forums hates Android and iOS because they're botnet
>Sup Forums loves to act as if it knows compooters
>some Sup Forums users live to shitpost about Arch and their amazing skills to install an OS without a GUI

Why isn't Sup Forums working on porting Ubuntu Touch/SailfishOS to more Android phones?

It would help the community, de-botnet more models and teach you something actually important about Linux and Android.

sailfishos.org/develop/hadk/
developer.ubuntu.com/en/phone/devices/porting-new-device/

The guides seem pretty straightforward, so what's your excuse?

Other urls found in this thread:

replicant.us/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But Sup Forums doesn't hate Android. Sup Forums is full of consumerist whores that love Android because it isn't iOS.

>Hey lets replace android with "android by another name"

That's what you're doing.

Better off making a slimline android distro instead.

>Ubuntu
>not botnet

lmao

>Dear cis gay men
>@AutistLiam
>@QueerNationNY

Well, that lost any shred of my interest.
I'm not going to replace an OS that secretly hates me with an OS that openly hates me.

Oooh, what about porting tiny core to smartphone with an Android like DE?

>no native apps
>proprietary components
>the os is just shit
It's not worth it.

>de-botnetting a smartphone
you can't do that, the phone itself is a botnet.

>no native apps
There are enough
>proprietary components
You are correct about this. Fucking sad
>The os is just shit
Is not!

I would prefer Sailfish over Android anyday if only it were compatible with decent, atleast xiaomiesque hardware

Anybody actually having a Sailfish OS phone around here? If yes, how is it?

I'd use it, not to mention it has an included Android emulator for my Uber needs.

w e b O S

Yes, low powered but android apps work fine for me (whatsapp+ all apps from F-droid I've tried)

Considering Jolla C was 80$ indian phone originally, it's not that bad.

pros:
>build quality: after 9+ mo of use it's still in one piece
>light weight
>decent screen brightness + colors
>2gb of ram is plenty
>battery life without gps/ android layer running

cons:
>low/mediocre 3/4G reception sometimes
>battery life ~2 days in use when android compability is on (drains battery idle like "normal" android phone)
>lack of GPU power, even multitab web browsing with icecat sometimes spends a few seconds rendering fonts
>screen is soft plastic, must use a protector

I'm fine with it in everyday use, haven't used android phone in last 3 years properly so I cannot really compare it OS wise.

Darn nice.

Was tempted by a Jolla, but I said to myself that it's too expensive. Now I believe it actually sounds tempting, taking into consideration the past stuff.

"Android" isn't a botner. Most version of it are.

For example, Replicant is not:
replicant.us/

And I'm fairly sure that there are other distributions/"custom ROMs" that are, while not fully free, at least not quite botnet.

Isn't Lineage os non botnet?

It's still on 4.0. Moat of the CIA exploits can be used on Replicant.

Until you install Google Services.

So are modern CPUs, but that's not an excuse to use Windows 10.

How are Ubuntu Touch and SailfishOS 'Android by another name'? They only share kernel and drivers, everything else is different. UT, for instance, is closer to your average GNU/Linux than Android will ever be.

Retards on here will argue that android uses a Linux kernel, even though that's not enough to make it just like the others.

Just use pen and paper for notes, 2 stones for music and draw memes in the notepad like in the good ol' golden age of technology

>he doesn't use LineageOS with no GApps

Sailfish is supposed to be ported to the xperia x.

AOSP (or any custom ROM) is botnet-free as long as you don't install GApps.

WebOS/LuneOS is open source waiting for people to make it great

>so what's your excuse?
I don't need one, I joined the BB10OS masterrace around two years ago.

As someone who's never owned a smartphone before, how good is cyanogen? I seem to hear about it a lot.

Nexus 5 with Copperhead OS my dude

>isn't that abnormination from the same guys that took a community driven work and made money by selling their contributions a non botnet?*

No it isn't, but i wouldn't use it unless you want to put a bullet in your head.