I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that Windows XP is STILL getting updates...

I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that Windows XP is STILL getting updates, it even had a bunch of security updates 4 DAYS ago.

>But user, that's POSReady 2009.

It's Windows XP. Same kernel, simply different preloaded programs and configurations (which can be easily edited through Group Policy Editor, and even then any changes you may want to make are minimal).

If you import the original Luna.theme, and perhaps the windows games too, and now it's literally indistinguishable from Windows XP Professional.

If I wanted my software to break in hilariously subtle ways due to missing dependencies, I'd install Gentoo.

If there's a missing dependency, simply install it.

I mean, some programs won't run without .NET frameworks and you see that happen on the mainline Windows editions too.

After my updates are done installing, I'll start installing various pieces of software to prove that they work.

>It's Windows XP. Same kernel, simply different preloaded programs and configurations (which can be easily edited through Group Policy Editor, and even then any changes you may want to make are minimal).

And perhaps even less bullshit.

32bit tho...

Reminder that you can also modify the registry to receive POSReady updates on regular Windows XP.

>piece of shit ready

but why?

While it isn't every program I use, I haven't had a single issue installing a handful of some of my favorites. Even the latest version of Firefox, released yesterday runs great and a version of Chrome a couple version numbers behind the current release is just as good too.

You can, yes and it does work once set up correctly.

Indeed less bullshit.

True, but I don't need 64 bit for what I am doing on this machine.

but portage enforces dependencies you dumdum

portage is great i dunno what his problem is

>it even had a bunch of security updates 4 DAYS ago.
Yeah, you get security patches for threats in the wild, but you can't just patch in the threat mitigation techniques that modern Windows has, like ASLR, because they require a modern Windows kernel. Even fully patched, a POSReady system will always be less secure than a Windows 7 or Windows 10 system.

A lot of programs are dropping XP support by adding hard dependencies to native APIs used in Vista and later. You can't do shit about that.

>POS
Just get MicroXP from eXPerince.

because win10 a shit

xp is shit though

You can still receive updates on regular XP as well with one registry modification. Still, 7 is better.

There are also machines where BASIC is good enough for what i'm doing on them...

Reminder that firefox and chrome are incompatible with XP and vista now.

Only Firefox's installer is "incompatible". Firefox, the browser, still works. Get the archive from their ftp.

>but you can't just patch in the threat mitigation techniques that modern Windows has, like ASLR
EMET 4.1 and some other crap can add that to XP

yes but

Windows XP is almost 20 years old

No, EMET can only force ALSR for kernels that already support it (Vista and up.) It can't magically make the XP kernel support ASLR.

If only there were more operating systems other than Windows XP and Windows 10.

>some programs won't run without .NET frameworks and you see that happen on the mainline Windows editions too.
That's the thing. All the .NET now has telemetry.

>32 bit
>DX9
>could lose Firefox support at any time
Why eve bother? Jesus Christ you XP autists have a mental disorder.

How is it with SSDs these days?

I bet you enable "free software"

probably fucking flies

It figures. The only remaining XP users must have an irrational hatred of Windows releases after XP, macOS and ""free software."" Most people on Sup Forums hate one or two of these, but if you hate all three, there's not much left to use but XP. Consider giving up technology altogether.

But XP is genuinely so out of date as to be useless for many people. The only reason to use Windows is compatibility that XP doesn't have anymore. Why not use a lightweight Linux?

Reasons I can see for using XP in 2017:
>Legacy programs for business and the military that can't be run in a VM
>Stubbornness

>you should use this system for cash registers and vending machines and tweak group policy and registry to make it look and work like an even older and less supported OS
What the fuck is the point of this?

>irrational hatred of Windows releases after XP
Microsoft capped performance of OpenGL applications (and gaymes) starting with Vista, no fucking joke. I didn't migrate to Linux yet because it is still comfier than Linux, and the fact I dislike GNOME3's libraries adopted in every other application. Wine actually has better compatibility than XP at this point, but still.

>Microsoft capped performance of OpenGL applications (and gaymes) starting with Vista
I'm pretty sure this is old news. I care a lot about OpenGL performance on Windows because I write cross-platform OpenGL programs. I think there was a point (maybe during Vista's release) where OpenGL performed poorly because of inefficient interaction with the DWM, but this is no longer the case. OpenGL performs very well on my Windows 10 machine. OpenGL on Windows involves the program calling into an ICD provided by the vendor (Nvidia, AMD, Intel, etc.,) so if there was some conspiracy against OpenGL performance on Windows, all of the vendors would have to collaborate, but it's against their interests to ship poorly performing drivers.

>I didn't migrate to Linux yet because it is still comfier than Linux, and the fact I dislike GNOME3's libraries adopted in every other application.
Kind of poor excuses, really. "Comfy" is meaninless. You shouldn't choose an outdated insecure operating system over a modern secure one because the former is "comfy." No one is forcing you to use GNOME or GTK apps on Linux either. There are plenty of KDE and Qt alternatives. Also, no one's forcing you to use Linux at all. You could become a Macfag, or maybe just overcome your hatred of modern Windows. Anything is better than using XP.

Yes, and?

>Wine actually has better compatibility than XP at this point,
XP has better support for Windows 3.1 animations though.

>XP has longer support than Vista

And 7 will have longer support than 8. Whoever said that market share is not important?

>but this is no longer the case.
Before you ask, I have tried every other windows version after vista too, the issue is still there.

>"Comfy" is meaninless.
4u

>You shouldn't choose an outdated insecure operating system over a modern secure one because the former is "comfy."
Let's be honest here, Windows and security related words should not be spelled so close to each other.

>No one is forcing you to use GNOME or GTK apps on Linux either.
But that is all there is, their response goes along the lines of "make your own", its never worth the trouble though. Qt based applications have been crashy in my experience, so not many options left, unless I operate it with a very barebones window manager like window maker or openbox, but there is always something I end up missing and then I switch back to XP. Lubuntu is sitting in a separate partition though.

>Before you ask, I have tried every other windows version after vista too, the issue is still there.
Okay. I don't doubt that whatever specific applications you use are affected, but it doesn't affect mine and I've never noticed it post-Vista.

>Let's be honest here, Windows and security related words should not be spelled so close to each other.
You're not wrong, but Windows 10 still has better practical threat mitigation than Windows XP.

>But that is all there is, their response goes along the lines of "make your own", its never worth the trouble though. Qt based applications have been crashy in my experience, so not many options left
This is false and it suggests a really limited experience with Linux. I'm posting from a Qt environment now and it jest werks. If you hate GNOME 3, but you're also one of those weird people who are convinced that modern GTK environments are the only usable ones in Linux, you can use Cinnamon, which is well maintained and quite nice (I used it for a while too.) There is also Xfce, which is GTK2 and pretty low bullshit. All are better options than XP.

It technically won't. Windows XP had 9000 different POS systems made, which is how this hack works. Vista didnt have any, which is why when it's dead it's dead. Both 7 and 8 got POS versions though, so the 8 version will be supported for quite some time.