/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-total-harmonic-distortion-plus-noise-part-1
theguardian.com/technology/2012/jan/16/headphones-can-endanger-life-study
ctvnews.ca/accidents-involving-headphone-wearing-pedestrians-on-the-rise-1.755142
head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up
schiit.com/products/wyrd
youtube.com/watch?v=uZuSeufCO7I
youtube.com/watch?v=pzyMlJ6cERg
youtube.com/watch?v=32-X4sDzLXw
nwavguy.blogspot.ie/2011/09/more-power.html
audiobot9000.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5DR4TD9072
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5DR4TD9080
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DUCKSSS

Waifu/Cans/Music. Let's see them.

My beloved audiotechnica ATH-T500's have recently died on me after many years of service.

I ended up buying DT 770's to replace them, and while some music sounds amazing with them, they aren't something I could listen to for many hours with ease as I could with my ATH-T500's. The sound feels too harsh and I have to take them off after a bit, so I'll be returning them. I also listen to quite a bit of podcasts and generally videos with people talking, and those sounded much better on the T500's.

Now I'm deciding between getting ATH-AVC500 (successor of T500's) or importing ATH-A500x for not much more. I know that the A500x are probably a better deal, but I wouldn't be able to return them if I don't like them. Any advice?

Good morning, /hpg/.

>Any advice?
dt770's have a v-shaped sound. that's why they suck for podcasts and vocals (those are mids).

If you like the fit and comfort, you could try EQing them to lower the bass and treble a bit. That would probably help. but beware that it's MUCH easier to turn neutral phones into v-shaped than vice-versa.

I saved this from somewhere... equalizer apo settings for DT770.

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 71,9 Hz Gain -7,4 dB Q 0,47
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 33,0 Hz Gain -2,3 dB Q 0,76
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 109 Hz Gain -1,2 dB Q 1,00
Filter 4: ON LS Fc 150 Hz Gain -3,9 dB
Filter 5: ON LS Fc 350 Hz Gain 4,9 dB
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6 800 Hz Gain -3,5 dB Q 4,00
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 2 450 Hz Gain -3,1 dB Q 2,00
Filter 8: ON LS Fc 95 Hz Gain 4,6 dB
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 213 Hz Gain 1,8 dB Q 2,00
Filter 10: ON HS Fc 13 500 Hz Gain 7,6 dB
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 4 310 Hz Gain -0,9 dB Q 4,00
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 9 470 Hz Gain -2,6 dB Q 3,00
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 10 451 Hz Gain -2,3 dB Q 2,00
Filter 14: ON HS Fc 1500 Hz Gain -2 dB

if you want to avoid all this trouble, save up for HD600.

Which one of those cans are your favorite? I was thinking about getting the x2 but want to know how it compares to the others.

>it's MUCH easier to turn neutral phones into v-shaped than vice-versa.
thanks for letting us know you're incompetent at EQing

Just snagged a pair of Audio Technica M40fs for $3 at a yard sale. I need an adapter for the 3.5mm plug, as well as new pads as they are flaking pretty badly. I've been using the Superlux HD668Bs for a while now and they sound great, but they're uncomfortable as fuck. The M40fs feel extremely comfortable but I'm unsure about the sound vs the HD668Bs. Just wanted to know your thoughts on these two and also where I can get some cheap replacement pads that won't rape my wallet in the process? Thanks /hpg/.

lookin for decent closed headphones with detachable cord but for outside use. anybody has suggestions?

everytime I want to see that chick i want to bang her hard

ok thanks

>thanks for letting us know you're incompetent at EQing
no arguments. stay retarded, kiddo.

ebay. buy velour ones from china for dirt cheap. you can also find compatible cables for dirt cheap too.

How decent of a quality sound can you get out of bog standard Music Bee & a motherboard?

I am not a wealthy fellow, but I'm noticing a better quality of amping between Music Bee & my copy of Clementine, I'd like to switch to Music Bee

But the sound is off as hell. I'm just using Direct Sound.

>amping

What my incompetent ass meant to say was the sound seemed fuller, and Clementine seems to put out better music at higher volumes then Music Bee does

Music Bee seems tinny I'm just listening through some JVC HA-RX700s & a cruddy 2.1 Vizio Soundbar setup.

Any advice guys?

Friendly reminder that Schiit makes chink schiit.

They're better than 668b in most ways. Just get some ebay pads.

>MUCH easier to turn neutral phones into v-shaped than vice-versa

Holy shit, you must be retarded.

Link to those pads?

> but beware that it's MUCH easier to turn neutral phones into v-shaped than vice-versa

what
who gave you that information?

Can you please kindly fuck off? There's only so much shitty advice one user can give.

I've got an USB Headset as a gift from a well meaning friend. And while certainly not the best in terms of quality, they're actually kinda comfy so I might actually end up using them, but I feel like they're somewhat quiet, is there a windows 7 option, or a driver I can edit to go above 100?

Headset in question is a G533

Repost since I didn't get any responses.

Most neutral closed headphone ~$300 US.

Basically looking for the HD600 endgame, but a closed equivalent.

>inb4 open is always better.
I know, but sometimes the world is loud.

that's not me you retarded autist.

Then maybe you should stop spouting autistic advice before other anons start mistaking you for someone else.

quit samefagging you buttmad retard.

yes, it's true: it's harder to make neutral-sounding headphones from V-shaped ones due to NON-LINEAR distortions!

innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-total-harmonic-distortion-plus-noise-part-1

stay mad, stay retarded.

Daily reminder to ignore insane phillips shills.

>-On the subway, which is loud af and even closed-back headphones don't block sound out without needing to listen to music pretty loudly
>
>-Walking around the city. This one's tricky because you need to take a lot of care to be aware of your surroundings, since you can't hear traffic. I don't do this too often, just because it's not really safe. Sometimes I just leave them in and don't play music as a way of dampening all the horns and sirens.
You're insane. That's how people die.

theguardian.com/technology/2012/jan/16/headphones-can-endanger-life-study

ctvnews.ca/accidents-involving-headphone-wearing-pedestrians-on-the-rise-1.755142

About the only place where I think IEMs are acceptable are the gym. They're either super-dangerous or just too uncomfortable for all other situations. At home, headphones or speakers are 10x more pleasurable. For outside, IEMs are a death trap.

>Anyone and all who opposes me are samefagging.
Stay retarded, friendo.

Are the X2s worth it at 250 dollars? If so, do i also need a dac or amp to drive it? If its not worth it, are there any similar priced (around 200 dollars) equivalents?

If you like bass, go for it; if you don't, there are better options out there.

Like what, also in terms of comfort?

If you want what they offer, probably more worth it to get them used for around $175.

Only for absolute cavemen. If you just take a second to look when crossing the road. I've lived in a city for my entire life, and the majority of the time I walk around with IEMs in. And because I'm not a fucking moron, I've never been run over or anything similar. It's not exactly hard.

Not sure why you greentexted him about the subway either. You've got literally no danger from having lowered hearing capability on a train.

>Are the X2s worth it at 250 dollars?
No. You can get them cheaper than that. They're 'decent' for mid-bassy open back headphones.

>If so, do i also need a dac or amp to drive it?
You need both for every headphone no matter what, when using digital files.

>If its not worth it, are there any similar priced (around 200 dollars) equivalents?
K7XX, though I'd suggest waiting for a sale on the X2's anyway.

Plenty of alternatives if you want to go for a more neutral sound.

Sennheiser HD 598s and AKG K702s are decent. They're both comfy, but the K702s may not fit everyone due to their rounded earcups and suspension system. Though, compared to the X2s, they barely have any bass.

>Budget
from like 10 to 60-70ish bucks
>Location
Finnland
>Source
Some generic USB soundcard
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Balanced, maybe a little more to the comfort side
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones
HD201

>You need both for every headphone no matter what, when using digital files.

Except most phones and computers will drive them fine.

>Except most phones and computers will drive them fine.
Your phone has a DAC and an amp in it.

Is Z Reviews the Linus Tech Tips of headphones?

He's worse.

Z reviews is only for hype, user.

Friendly reminder you won't find a better wyrd for less than $99.

Chapter 38: head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up

Schiit makes a load of stuff. It doesn't mean you need them.

Actual product page: schiit.com/products/wyrd

I love their FAQ :>

Linus tech tips actually does headphones too.

HD 598 & HD 598: youtube.com/watch?v=uZuSeufCO7I
The Headphones to Buy. Period. - HD6XX Review: youtube.com/watch?v=pzyMlJ6cERg
Schiit Stack (Magni + Modi) Headphone Amp and PC DAC: youtube.com/watch?v=32-X4sDzLXw

And he recommends some good schiit.

>Actually linking this fags videos
>In 2017

The guy is a hardcore shill for everything he reviews.

I'm not a big fan but still watch LinusTechTips at times. It can be fun.

See who I was replying to for context on why I even posted that ;P

No favorite, per se. I just choose what headphone I want to use based on what I'm doing/listening to, or what mood i'm in.

>X2 compared to my other current headphones
All of my other headphones have rather different sound signatures, but if I were to choose one to compare the sound with, it would probably be the M40x. The X2 has a tad more bass presence, sounds more spacious and refined (open vs closed), and the treble doesn't sound as peaky, imo (though FR graphs (korean golden ears) seem to contradict this, there's something in the treble of the m40x that causes fatigue for me after 1-2 hours, and I'm generally a fan of bright sounding headphones). I also wouldn't label the as X2 dark sounding, as others in previous threads have said.

The X2 is also better built and noticibly more comfortable than the m40x, at least on my head, due to significantly less clamping pressure and much better ear pads.

All that said, I use my X2 the most out of all my other headphones, as I find them the best all-rounder, between listening to music, watching movies, and playing games.

Daily reminder to ignore Shit shills.

>MUH FULLA2
>MUH POWWWAH
>MUH BULLSHIT
>MUH LIES

Can I get some earbuds rec? Im in desperate need for a good pair for workouts

Good afternoon, /hpg/.

>Budget

>Location

>Source

>Type of headphone

>Open or closed

>Comfort level

>Sound signature

>Past headphones

We'll need more than just "I need earbuds pls" without any info on what you want.

>muh schiit shills! Schiit is shiiit! Listen to me! LISTEN TO ME!!!
Daily reminder to keep personal vendetta out of the thread.

Yeah, NwAvGuy's still pissed off that head-fi banned him, but he deserved it for behaving like a moron.

Chapter 12: Schiit Goes Evil? head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up

How much would you pay for 600 ohm AKG 240 in good condition?
pic related

I now just ignore retards who can't even read the first post of a thread and can't follow instructions. There's no point in helping ungrateful idiots. Just let them be.

Also, just ignore all poorfags who want a BMW for $50. Point them to and be done with them.

$30-40

I didn't know earbuds were that serious. I don't know. Anything below 100 bucks budget wise. I don't really have any preferences or anything, im just looking for people's recommendation based on earbuds they've used before and liked.

Are you going for the sextett? If so it has a silver trim. The gold 600 Ohm monitor is a different headphone. Also the 600 ohm DF is a different model as well.

Price depends on condition and if its a early/mid/late production. They usually go for $100-$200. They can go for more though if they are in really nice condition with all original parts and are an EP.

HEADPHONES, DACS AND AMPS: Why oh why.

The DAC: Converts digital to analog. Your computer does this already if it has an analog output. So does your phone. Generally, this is a well understood problem that's more than solved by now, and cheaply so. Some people prefer to do it externally because it ensures that the result is the same regardless of the source.

Generally, your computer will have a DAC chip that is definitely good enough, but many motherboards will fuck up on the surrounding electronics, and you might hear noise as you, say, move a window around in the screen. A decent external DAC is a portable way to solve this. An internal sound card will solve this too. A bad (classic chink) USB DAC will actually make things worse, as USB power is low quality and chink cheapen on filtering it to an usable state. A good one will do its job and that's it, you'll typically forget it's there.

The AMP: Provides power as necessary, a little gain (a few more dB top volume, unnecessary unless music mastered at crazy low volume, or you're deaf), and a convenient knob to decrease the gain. Typically, your headphones receive audio as an analog signal. Voltage represents the amplitude of the wave. Your cans will output more or less volume at a given voltage (so called "sensitivity") and pull more or less current (amperes) to actually move the driver (active component that makes the sound). Some headphones are more efficient than others, unrelated to sound quality.

Generally, your source can provide more than enough volume, so the added volume (the "gain") will likely be superfluous. A knob is nice. You'll need an amp only if your cans pull more current than the source's builtin amp provide, which results on distortion (muffling).

* nwavguy.blogspot.ie/2011/09/more-power.html
* audiobot9000.com/

Here is picture of the one I want to buy. It's on auction so I need to know when to stop bidding.

Found the shill. Kek.

>MUH FULLA2
>MUH POWWWAA
>MUH LINKS TO GOSPEL BOOK OF SHIT ON SHILL-FI THAT TELLS IT LIKE GOD OF SHIT INTENDED
>MUH BUTTHURT

For those I wouldn't pay more than $50-$60. The pic shows it has velour pads on instead of the stock pleather (which may change the sound but increase comfort). That may be worth more to you.

KEKEKEKE
protip: Cans need juice.

Schiit is pretty competitive, specially at their lower range. You might like them more or less, but that is fact.

There are pleather pads too. Thanks for the info.

desu the schiit stack is better than its competitors
fulla 2 is okay if you need the line out/power

otherwise schiit is shit

That device sure does look good. Finding nothing but positive feedback.

I have been pondering whether to get an amp for a while. As this is inexpensive, I'm thinking I will grab one soon.

Is this your nightmare?

^^^^
Hpg freaks out when something gets popular seems like.

Was amusing to watch the tide change on the SHP 9500's as more people recommended them.

>All that schilling!

>MUH SHILL-FI BIBLE
>MUH WYRD AUDIOPHOOL BULLSHIT
>MUH USB FILTERING AND DEVICES MADE FROM UNICORN DUST
>MUH GOSPEL CHAPTERS THAT PROVE EVERYONE WRONG

Embarrassing. I sincerely hope you're at least getting paid to shill this much.

I'm not sure why you're getting so ass-blasted over me posting a shitty meme picture of some retard who bought every Schiit thing under the sun and made a pile.

Get some help, user.

>They still won't move their drivers to the tune of voltage if they can't pull enough current
The scenario presented is plainly not possible. Electric tension throughout a conductor cannot be sustained without charge displacement.
Current and voltage are normally related as stated by Ohm's law, which headphones follow very well.
It's a simple substitution for Ohmic devices to go from
>voltage*current
To
>(voltage^2)/impedance

Describing the situation as voltage or current dependent comes from the ideal constant voltage or current emitter, one with infinitely low and infinitely high output impedance respectively. Devices are in general closer to the voltage source and make the most out of of the driver's back EMF. At very least, the headphone's performance revolves around the assumption of the voltage source load.

The normal utility of tables and the like is to get a sense of general current and voltage limits. There are ways to make the situation more complicated such that these simple bounds don't work, such as with a highly reactive load, but the table doesn't test these.

Anybody here from the Philippines know where I can get velour pads in Manila locally?

Just buy some off ebay you gronk.

*every cheapfag schiit under the sun.

What a pile of schiit!

>ebay

fuck off
taobao if you're that poor then cunt

Kek. I'm not even that, user.

Just try giving better advice next time, you silly mongol.

Awesome DOM editing skills.

I don't like buying online. Especially in this country.

Nice excuses, Rajeesh.

You know, it doesn't take a poo in the loo to know poo in the loo advice :^)

Carbo Tenore's arrived today.
Impressed by the sound at first glance; they're not bass cannons like I was worried. They'll definitely do for wearing while commuting.

Highs and mids are satisfactory for $40 IEM's, comfort isn't awful, but I'll probably upgrade tips.

I'm guessing the comply tips are the best option for these?

I need some advice. Which should I choose between AKG K712 Pro and Sennheiser HD 650?

Tennmak Pro
Carbo Tenore
Soundmagic E30
MEE M6 Pro
Etymonic HK5/MC5
Vsonic VSD Series
Vsonic GR07
Shure SE215

It really isn't. It's how dumbasses die. I don't use my phone when I have IEMs in and I'm walking around traffic, I always double-check roads before and as I'm crossing, and I keep an eye on people around me. When you live in a city, you keep your guard up to some degree anyway.

>Second article
Dumbshit walked across a train track, clearly without even looking for a train. You can see them coming from literally minutes away.

I use mine at the gym too. And like I, and the other user said, we don't find them uncomfortable.

Get the Carbo Tenores, they're really low profile, sound nice, and isolate well. Good for the gym.

AKG is a favorite among anime girls so I'd say go with the K712.

Depends on your preferred sound sig.

Are these Marshall Major II's (for $50) probably fake?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5DR4TD9072

The seller had another listing of these at the same price, with a review stating that they're "super fragile" and look "glued":
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5DR4TD9080

Retard, if you can't hear shit around you, you can't hear incoming danger. Things fall off building, cars weer off track, people on bikes drive like madmen.

Having IEMs that completely isolate you is as dangerous as being deaf and walking around the town. Maybe even more so because deaf people have trained themselves to be extra careful and they watch around themselves all the time.

I see Darwin in your future.

>Things fall off building
Well if that happens and I don't have headphones on, I'm still going to get hit because I won't hear it and react fast enough. A few weeks ago I was walking to lunch, no headphones on, when a huge chunk of ice crashed on the ground in front of me silently.

>cars weer off track
Cars would need to be able to go fast enough to veer in NYC...

> people on bikes drive like madmen.
I see them, delivery guys are especially nuts, but that's why I keep an eye on them and stay aware of my surroundings.

There are definitely times when I take them out, but when I'm walking along the sidewalk around Times Square and through the subway stations, there's no good argument against them.

>Cans
>cans
>cans
>Cans
Try-hard "do I fit in yet" jargon.

Another bad thing about IEMs that seal well, shit like Etymotic, is that you can destroy/damage your ear drum just by yanking on the cord. There have been cases of people who burst their eardrums by snagging on something and is caused the cord to pull an eartip out quickly which created vacuum and burst the eardrum.

And then there's infections...

After reading so much about IEMs, I'd never use them again. There's simply no need and they're super-dangerous. Once you lose your hearing, that's it. You're fucked till you die.

Etymotic in ears aren't exceptional at sealing with the internal depressurizer and all, although tri-flange tips might be. There are a few IEMs that are probably a bit riskier, and more prone to damaging themselves.
Perforated ear drums don't leave you permanently deaf as they do heal over time. Still not recommended.
This is unlike the cochlea, which degrades as soon as you are born.

Budget
~$200 CAD
>Location
Canada
>Source
My phone or.focusrite interface
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I found my M50s perfectly comfortable
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
M50x's, they were stolen and I'm looking for something to replace them (are they still the best in the price range?).

Nothing like listening to idol shit on my HD600 cans while drinking a can of boss coffee, black.

are you the same idolfag from the last thread?
what headphones do you own?

My draagonfly black just got here. I'm in awe at the increase in SQ. I know it's half placebo but HOLY SHIT. My motherboard advertises the fuck out of it's on board sound card but this thing makes all of my headphones sound so much better. Bass is much tigher and the vocals sound so much more organic, you can really make out the tone of the voice well.
Best $60. My dt990s should be here monday for the sick treble.

What's another low-mid range headphone I could pick up for more diversity? I have an ath m50, hyper x cloud, sony xba-h1, and dt990 now. I'm thinking the HD 599s or aKG 7xx

HE 400I