When are cartridges gonna replace disc media?

When are cartridges gonna replace disc media?

32gb/64gb cards would eat too much of profit margin.

>disk media
whats it like living in the 90s?

disk media?
like CDs AND DVDs? haven't those been extinct for like 10 years?

Blu ray

when flash NAND gets super cheap again

>bluray
literally obsolete trash that only exists because of how shilled it is. We have internet speeds faster than bluray transfer and hard drives and SSDs literally 20-50x the size in your average pc. and they don't require $300-500 proprietary "players" to read content from them.

Would it cost that much more to put that in a plastic shell so its bigger...

Oh yeah, gotta be portable.

They kind of already did everywhere but in video games.

Bluray is deprecated

Microsd cards are very expensive for distribution.

While you can fit a blu-ray movie in a $10 32GB msd card, you can still fit that same movie on a $0.40 blu-ray disc.

Also not everyone has 1gbps internet so their only practical choices are download a shitty 750MB yify rip or buy the blu-ray.

Things will probably improve as HEVC becomes more popular though.

literally this
bluray is slower and lower capacity than a micro-sd card and has a ridiculous amount of relative latency since it's spinning storage. the only reason it's alive is because bluray player manufacturers would go out of business if it wasn't.

>he compares buying bluray with downloading low rez movies

bluray speeds max out around 70mbps. that's not an impressive internet speed in any country other than the congo.

Never, because streaming and cloud storage exists - you might not like it, but it is inevitable.

still not as cheap, high capacity, fast or practical as a hard drive. Why do these things exist?

That's garbage

I didn't say that. I said most people, having shit internet, either deal with the shit quality of yify rips or bite the bullet and pay for a fucking blu-ray to get a high quality movie.

A bluray burner costs maybe $50 and bluray is still the most cost effective medium for storing large amounts of data at home for long terms without having to worry about losing terabytes of data from a single failure. Only other option that comes close is a NAS with a several hard drives in a RAID 6 configuration, but that's a lot more data than most people need to store.

Except blurays do cost less per GB than comparable quality hard drives (ie, comparing Verbatim disks to HTSC hard drives).

damn, i didn't expect them to be this ridiculously slow

Most people can stream 4k video no problem

Man stop acting like over 50% of people on earth have 1gbps internet, they don't. It would be nice though.

For distribution of high quality movies to those with shit internet and as means of more reliable back-up. Blu-ray discs are claimed to last more than 100 years if stored properly.

No.

Glorious Nippons and Vikings.

Feels good seeing my country at the top.

Internet made all physical media transfer devices obsolete

Your map shows that pretty much everyone who would even consider buying blurays can stream 4k

>as HEVC becomes more popular though.
lol...

Streaming 4k at 25Mbp/s

Welllll, we already have hardware decoders on most phones with snapdragon 600 series or better SoCs and $320 high performance processors doing 30FPS encoding 1080p HEVC.

disk =/= disc retard but yes, by disc OP means CD/DVD/Blu Ray (which is not extinct in any way).

>he doesnt know about AV1

I got a shit ton of Blu Rays but I got a 500kbit/s connection

Nobody buys media on pyhsical anything these days.

kys you retarded toddler.

Preliminary reports say it takes 2-3X longer to encode than HEVC at the same quality so until they fix that shit AV1 won't be relevant.

quality post you got there user-kun

>Preliminary reports say it takes 2-3X longer to encode
this means nothing. encoding is a 1 time process

hm... hm...
blu ray... when it came out didn't it had some competitor format?
I think it had even greater capacity than blu ray, but somehow it vanished...
I think it was just before blu ray hit the market...
Or am I dreaming..?

>no internet access
>zero files

please self murder

Sneakernet physical discs > Your shit

That's faster than 90% of internet speeds in the US. I'm not shitting you. I live in a decent sized city suburb and you can't even buy internet faster than 50mbps, no one offers it

Ignoring this massive downside, we still don't have any HW decoders for AV1. By the time we have them HEVC will be used in like 90% of rips out there.

hddvd

>tfw Italy

You're retarded and obviously can't understand what's being discussed in this thread

Most of Africa has like 1Mbps at best.
They still have dial-up in some places lol

Did you know that Nintendo Switch cartridges have an oddly sweet, candy-like taste to them when you put your tongue on the cartridge?

Discs are less failure-prone than flash drives and memory cards though.

Thanks user.
So what happened to it?
I forgot even name of it since it appeared...

Died in a fire. Blu-Ray won.

you're a complete loser. just fucking kys or fuck off and find some other board. but preferably just kys.

This is only tru for high quality blu-ray discs. I lost most of my dvd/cds to disc rot.

Fuck off you AV1 shill

>tfw South Italy

Disk: $0.10-$0.40
Cartridge: $5-$10

I dunno, do you want games to be more expensive? Because fuck if you think they're going to cut the profit margin! Pass the costs onto you.

But AV1 is better and not so encumbered by patents

No one gives a fuck when millions are torrenting H264/HEVC rips. At best youtube and netflix will start using AV1 when qualcum and jewtel decide to actually give a shit about it.

It can't be better since it doesn't exist.
At least a viable implementation of it.

Obviously.
But did blu-ray won because it's superior or because of marketing?

It's still much more efficient to mass produce optical discs, especially ones that come with data like movies and games. The disc is injection molded with the data in the mold, the moment the disc is made it's got data on it, no need to be burned.

>when millions
t. webp shill

I'm not in Congo and the maximum available internet speed here is 100Mbps. Not tying up 70% of the best internet connection available to me just to watch a movie is impressive.

>it takes 2-3X longer to encode than HEVC
Does it have any space savings? Reencoding to HEVC is barely worth the CPU time and I have very limited storage.

Bluray is superior to HD-DVD. Past format wars have shown this is not why it won though.

Around 2010 I guess.

Says it "aims" for 25% less space used than HEVC, don't know if it actually does or not.

>wanting to get rid of read-only media
Nice try NSA

Marketing. Marketed as a premium for so long now it's the primary storage for movies. Fuck Blu-ray and their anti-consumer bullshit.

Please show me the millions of open sores rips done in VP8/VP9 then.

I'm referencing when you shill for webp when it's obscure and no browsers support it

Oh, well sorry if I sound like a shill but it's just I don't see a better successor to JPG, PNG, and GIF in a single image format. If you do then please let me know so I can learn about it.

Never. Downloading and streaming will

>Steaming and physical media have the same bitrate

>the only reason it's alive is because bluray player manufacturers would go out of business if it wasn't
the actual reason is that it is much cheaper and easier to mass produce optical discs.

Games aren't something you can easily do "streaming" with. We've had various companies pop up that have tried to offer a cloud based gaming service. The games were hosted on their own service, and you would pay a fee for usage of their servers. None of these companies ever made it off the ground, because it turns out that this service is always going to be more expensive than people just buying their own consoles or gaming computers, and buying the games themselves, especially for those who play for hundreds of hours each month.

Also, most people's Internet connections aren't that great, and ISPs can't be fucked to improve performance or bandwidth.