When is one too old to learn how to program?

If you don't know at least 4 programming languages by the time you're 22 years old then you're literally obsolete.

If you don't understand BASIC by 18 you should be legally consider mentally retarded.

Fucking learn to, instead of already looking for excuses not to.

Just, don't. There's literally too many programmers already and pretty soon it'll all be done by machines anyways

>it'll all be done by machines anyways
This will outsource being human in the first place.

Never.
The question is how willing you are.
Age has nothing to do with anything.
Willpower, curiosity, and the fearlesness of breaking shit are the only 3 conditions for learning anything tech.
This is coming from someone whose fucking
grandma has learned to use a computer faster
than some young dumbass retards in high-school who still can't after 4 years of high-school attempting to get it into their heads.

After 20 years of alcoholism

>machines
>attempting to create a program for an unreasonable human with unreasonably subjective requirements that a machine can't understand which constantly change on a whim, and also with visual and interactive "comfort" requirements that a machine will never understand

Get the fuck out.
Machines can at best do conversion from language to language, or modification of existing code into something cleaner.
As far as outright writing programs for the mentally complex needs of a human, putting into account a human's sensory needs which vary from individual to individual, is never gonna happen.

You read too many Buzzfeed and GAWKER articles you dumb fuck.

this
i think what everyone is saying to be competitive in somewhere like california or texas you got to have the time to devote to it, but if you're already working and have an actual social life its more likely going to be a hobby or a learning experience, neither of those things are bad. maybe in your free time you can hack the gibson, or code an arduino to flash some l.e.d. but as a career the odds are stacking, but at the same time you can really do anything if you work hard and play your cards right. you're in the right place theres alot of knowledge and opinions on /dpt/ and /wdg/.

Tfw almost 21 and don't know how to program and lack many other skills tbo

this

Than start changing that its better late than never

It don't matter how well you know them.

I've wasted my youth. I don't know what I should try. It might be depression

Depends on you biology. There are major trends and exceptions to those trends but generally speaking the window of peak brain efficiency is between 15 and 45 give or take a few years within the median IQ distribution of the first world.

That said, if you fall into the lower quartiles of the population for intelligence or into a group characterized by lower intelligence and rapid sexual maturity there will be a significantly narrower window. Gender also figures heavily into this as women mature faster and enter menopause (post-maturity) earlier than men.

upon your death

When is one too old to loose virginity?

Where's my welfare check then

>Age has nothing to do with it
So if I don't teach my kid anything until he's 25, he should have the capability to learn anything tech related with assuming a great enough willpower and curiosity?

Only if you taught him willpower and curiosity in the first place, or it was inherited.
Those with good genes who were raised right will learn early, those with bad genes or were raised poorly will learn late or not at all.
But that doesn't mean it isn't too late to try and better yourself.

When one posts shit like this. Shut the fuck up and suck up or move the fuck on

There's a gazillion 'programmers' around, but 60-80% struggle with basic concepts like scope.

I blame all these cancerous LRN2CODE bootcamps and websites that give people the impression of being able to program without actually teaching them how to produce.

There's still a shortage of senior-level developers because it actually requires long-term dedication to learning rather than doing some stupid 6-week course.

never if you're smart. there's not enough smart programmers. Graduate with a first class honors for an ez 6 figs

Honestly there have been people have have learned programming well into their elder years. But it's never to late to have a career in computer science. I have family members in their 40's and 50's who recently graduated from university with degrees in computer science and information technology. Study hard for a few years and you'll definitely become a professional just don't give up.