Ditching Arch for Fedora

Fuck Arch. Fedora is running so smoothly without me having to set up anything that can easily fucking automated because "muh I know tech cause I copy pasted from a guide" secret club.

Fuck you for recommending Arch the only thing it's good for is if you have 1GiB of ram

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.teamspeak.com/threads/64697-Installing-teamspeak-3-on-Fedora-14
copr.fedorainfracloud.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

welcome to the patrician os, kid. enjoy the wayland

*tips*

Hi I am an Archfag myself and wanted to ask, is there a way in fedora to install any software easily through the command line like with Yaourt for example, I am just too lazy to deal with repositories

>arch users are advanced linux experts

are you asking what package manager fedora uses? if so its yum

I have been using Fedora for about a year and I don't think I would recommend it. At first I broke it when I did an update with dnf, it crashes Xorg in the middle of the update. Apparently you have to use the update feature which restarts your computer and applies the updates, this is the preferred safe method but it is a pain to have to reboot. I've had issues where sometimes that doesn't work.

winner

It's dnf actually you pleb

dnf nowadays

Fedora doesn't use yum anymore, it uses dnf.

Fedora has access to some external repos like copr but it not as good as compared to Arch.

the more you know

So you can dnf install almost anything like the AUR or do you have to fiddle with repositorys just to get for example teamspeak to install

>how do i install gamershit

arch confirmed cancer

way to go Sup Forums, you ruined an entire distro

>non-free software
>on fedora

HOHOHOHO

forum.teamspeak.com/threads/64697-Installing-teamspeak-3-on-Fedora-14
here you go fampai
>He wants to use something that I don't know how to install/like so i'm gonna be a faggot XDDD

I know how to install it, but it's shitty that I Have to download a file, extract it and make a desktop file everytime I install something

> the only thing it's good for is if you have 1GiB of ram
Fedora LXDE

Keep archbabbies out of my patrician distro, please.

>buying into RHEL test branch
Good, good. The more volunteer beta-testers they have the sooner we're getting new features on the real OS.

Arch is a volunteer beta test distro without the benefits.

Good OP, Arch is a cuck distro.

Welcome. Fedora is literally best "just linux" this days. No proprietary botnet binaries "with licensing issues" out of the box, but there is rpmfusion if you need it.
Every software in repos is compiled with minimal modifications from upstream so you get exactly what developers wanted you to get.
Also fedora is so flexible when it comes to stability thing, you can use well-tested aka "ancient" packages from the main release, or enable @updates to get middle-ground, or even enable rawhide mirror to recieve fresh unstable daily builds using fucking stupid and broken dnf package manager.
Perfection: The distro. Glad to see you here.
*tips hat*

a beta test where the results don't matter

Explain pic pls, how is fedora involved with blue origin

Nice dragon dildo collection

copr.fedorainfracloud.org/

as long as you don't need nonfree software, Fedora is probably the most well put together distro out of the box.

the integration with gdbus, gnome, systemd, selinux, etc is almost impeccable.

if you need nonfree garbage and you're a moron, you should use ubuntu instead.

they actually use a package manager coded in python...
CODED IN PYTHON!

at least it has support for globbing

it even builds purty dependency graphs if you ask it to.

python is standard on Linux, gramps

Fedora's by design a forward looking distro

As a new fedora user what do i have to do to make it as useful as my old windows

Nice proprietary hardware, faggot.

send email
write documents
do work

there's been no 'advanced' productivity gains in computing for the last twenty years, user

This op
Fedora is literally the best, and if you ever work with Linux professionally it's going to be redhat

And if you're using a DE that's not Gnome you're probably retarded

why is Gnome good? I like how cinnamon looks

I tried to use Gnome for months. I just switched because it refuses to behave how I want it to.

>Turn off the monitor when the screen locks with absolutely no way to turn this feature off
Trashed.

Gnome is good because
>Just werks
>Full Wayland support
>Plethora of extensions
>Most professional support
>Your de uses parts of it anyway so it's better to have all of Gnome and have it work than some of Gnome and have some shit not

i use gnome when i'm using the computer casually

i3 when i'm trying to focus on a problem and max productivity

fedora problem is gnome 3 it's so fucking bad.

how do we fix gnome 3 before gnome 4

>using an OS that originated at Red Hat, a CIA shell corporation

Korora was the first linux distro I installed instead of just running it from a USB
I've slowly transitioned and use it for everything besides gaming and school now. Pretty comfy.

Who thought it was a good idea to not have a proper taskbar? Am I in the minority for liking to know what windows are currently open?

get the dock meme shell extension

>Fedora
botnet, poor support, Redhat kikery

i mean it's better than Windows but only barely

So many people ITT triggered about Arch because they couldn't install it lmao

>Autistic elitist appears.

>mad fedora wearing autists that couldn't install arch comes flailing in
This is why we made it difficult to install. To stop tech illiterate retards with shit opinions like you from using our OS.

Keep telling yourself that... I just fired a junior sysadmin that adores Arch because he could not use netstat properly.

After succeeding, you still run around belittling those with no patience for Arch. Must feel good to have something to brag about.

I'm sure you did. But I actually did recently fire someone who uses Fedora because they couldn't use tcpdump correctly.

I've got many things to brag about. Installing Arch was easy for me. It just shows how stupid you people really are.

Sorry for being so retarded, can you explain to me in a way that a retard can understand how my KDE Plasma uses less RAM than gnomeshit while having vastly more features and better compositing performance? Is it because Qt is so vastly superior to Gtk? I really don't know.

I know gnome has way more theme/icon pack development going on than Plasma, so that's a point in it's favor of course. Although it could just be that Plasma actually has a modern and stylish UI out of the box, instead of the ancient and blindingly disgusting utter horseshit that is Adwaita. But I don't know because I'm clearly a retarded KDEfag.

I trust the nsa/cia more than neckbeards to make a secure distro.

Enjoy your backdoors, cuck.

I switched from Arch to Fedora and it was the best decision I've made about distros. Everything works, updates don't break anything ever, and Wayland works flawlessly.
>What is Fedy

Based OP.
*tips*

RPMFusion.

Try the KDE Spin. I use Fedora KDE.

Give me a break about systemd.
I swear, if I REALLY wanted to corrupt Linux, I'd corrupt X.Org, not the init system.

And X.Org is a mess.

I recently bought a practically new HP Spectre x360 "convertible" laptop w/ i7 Skylake & HD 520 graphics for a good price, and I've spent weeks installing all of the major distros, just trying to get it to switch from "laptop mode" to "stand mode" to "tablet mode" properly. A few days ago I decided to give Fedora 25 a try, and it's the only distro that worked 100% on a fresh install.

The closest I got before Fedora was Ubuntu, where I had to write scripts to detect & switch modes, flip the screen, disable the clickpad/keyboard when necessary, etc...

TL;DR: Fedora simply looks & works more like a professional OS than any other distro running on modern hardware

> I'd corrupt X.Org
Irrelevant for server systems, which hold the most desirable data.

You don't wanna know, do you wanna know why?

OK, I'll bite. Why?

Why?

YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW, DO YOU WANNA KNOW WHY?

Sorry but what exactly was so complicated to set up in Arch that's automated in Fedora?

Please TELL ME WHY

'Cause I ain't showered in weeks

>arch is lightweight maymay

nobody gives a shit this isn't your personal blog anyways

sage

t. manjaro user

pic related

It's not that it was that complicated, it's the fact that you even need to install & configure shit like drivers for the sensors, hack together custom scripts to sortof make it work, have weird console glitches when booting & shutting down, etc... I'm just sayin', Fedora has had none of that one this machine. All other distros did.

wtf I like fedora now

>as long as you don't need nonfree software
nice meme

fedora was my first and favorite distro. ive used Elementary and am tempted to switch back. virtualization via kvm was just so easy to use.

>Irrelevant for server systens

>And if you're using a DE that's not Gnome you're probably retarded

This

lightweight cucks will contest this

> arch users are professionals

I switched from Fedora to Solus, simply because of the fact that Fedora took over 40 seconds to boot, with Solus it went down to 14 seconds....

Now I think Solus is not so good, since you cannot find everything on the repositories, most software is budled as .deb or .rpm and it won't work on solus, so you have to compile it yourself, and because of some fucked up dependency it won't work.

I'm thinking of going to install Arch, I have neve tried it but I really like the idea to make personalized system, with only the packages you need.
Maybe I should also try Gentoo, I don't know which could be better...

Personal experience: neither.

Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian/openSUSE still are the best for home computing, really.

Why the boot time matters to you, it's beyond me, really.

Arch is horrible because of AUR and because of high-maintenance. And because it's a meme.
Gentoo is horrible, well...because it's high-maintenance. Even more than Arch. Unless you like that. Again, maymay distro.
Void is nice, but again, support for Void requires a lot of stuff being compiled by yourself. However, Void makes that easier, somewhat.

Not a maymay distro.

openSUSE...desu, as a Fedora user, I always found the openSUSE installer to be a pain in the butt, and sometimes instable as hell for some retarded reason.

>being a guinea pig for Redhat's testbed distro

>testbed distro
That's Fedora Rawhide.

arch users

>What is dash to dock

The only reason to use Fedora is if you want a secure desktop above anything else. The integrated SELinux config is fantastic, but the repo's are lacking which is why I use Debian Sid w/GrSec

Just did the same last month user. Really enjoying it

Have fun reinstalling every six months

Rawhide is rolling

>the only thing it's good for is if you have 1GiB of ram

Practically any distro can work with a 1GB RAM. Literally no use for Arch.

Also, no real reason for fedora as well now it's been infected with NSA/systemd.

Get on the next level and install Devuan or any other distro that respects your init freedom.

I never had a issue reinstalling.

Since F21. I'm on F25 now.

>Also, no real reason for fedora as well now it's been infected with NSA/systemd.

If you're really concerned about badly developed software, really, move to FreeBSD.

Too much systemd paranoia around here when a shitton of GNU/Linux products are badly made.

D R O P P E D

>Too much systemd paranoia around here when a shitton of GNU/Linux products are badly made.
Like pulseaudio. Ow wait . . .

>fedora on btrfs with lzo
>debloat initrd with dracut
>boot in ~2s with decent SSD
>completely modern desktop
>literally everything works as it's supposed to

Fedora is literally the comfiest Linux experience I've ever had. I'd recommend it for both normies and experts.

I've experienced a total of 2 problems:
Chromium has no support for ffmpeg codecs
No decent f.lux alternative(fixed in 26 with gnome night light)
That's about it.

only downside I can think of is their wiki/documentation...why can't it be like the godtier Gentoo wiki?

she's a cutie, and has done more than you probably ever will in software engineering

>Chromium has no support for ffmpeg codecs

does RPMFusion have a build with support?

Last time I bothered with Fedora, distro upgrades were guaranteed trouble and sometimes yum corrupted its own database.

How does Fedora with Gnome run on an x220? Trying to find something that runs smoothly.

>JVM performance engineer

Yeah kid, she's in the top 0.5% of programmers. I would inseminate her with babies

Not for Fedora 25 as far as I can tell.

yeah it's comfy

lmao I literally just booted into the Fedore live usb and my touchpad click isn't working

probably need to update to a new kernel

how new is your laptop?

Asus Zenbook...pretty new