Are you a data hoarder Sup Forums?

Are you a data hoarder Sup Forums?

I certainly am, I try to be organized about it but I have a nagging constant habit of archiving data that I find all over Sup Forums and the internet in general. Everything from silly images I find funny that get saved in board/subject specific folders to obscure utilities, programs, and patches for things like old video games or applications that either are made better by them or don't work in some environments without them.

Pdf files from all over, videos I feel may be deleted or taken down, anything and everything really I just feel like keeping and storing for decades to come and I'm really not entirely sure why I do it. People I know come to me first when they look for something specific after trying to google it and it makes me feel quite useful. Do any of you do this?

Setup a ftp and let us look through it senpai. Thatd be pretty great of you desu

I get by pretty easily on a 500gb SSD. My clover folder on my phone is huge because I keep putting off sorting it out though.

no. there's no point to it. life is ephemeral and short

people who try to make things last forever (e.g. insist on collecting their photographs, maintaining a music collection, or in your case, hoarding random data that's literally not worth anything even on a sentimental level) are just afraid of confronting their own mortality

What do you use to store all of it? A home-server set up?

Been wanting to build myself a Linux (probably Red Hat or CentOS) based home server for a while now so I can have my own git repos all in one location for my stuff.

>just afraid of confronting their own mortality
or i just like viewing some things more than once.

>insist on collecting their photographs, maintaining a music collection
how does this in any way imply fear of death? jesus christ

Yeah, I have a problem

I'd actually love to! My current situation however would prevent me from hosting something effectively, and much of this data actually is on drives I've removed from my only pc at the moment. Its complicated.

A deep depression eats at me user, I know that line of thinking. I try to get past it by believing that I in some way or another am providing a service as a sort of digital librarian that I fancy myself as. Assuming we make it out of our solar system I'd like for the humanity that lives on far after I'm dead never to lose information, or as little as possible. It may be a silly purpose, but try not to be so glum.

I am.
>be me, be now
>have a 2tb drive that is maxed off
>all other drives maxed off too
>just start backing up data to a 2x4tb in raid 1
>moving 200-500 gb at a time
>mfw this 2tb is dying
>mfw "click click" the whole time
>mfw my vm files wont transfer one of the vmdk files because of io error
>mfw, because it was on a usb 3.0 adapter, smart data didnt go though
>mfw this drive now fails smart and has relocated sectors I didnt know about
>mfw smartctl "calculates" this drives remaining life is only 200 something days

>inb4 backup blah blah
this drive WAS a backup drive, then I just got way too much data and had to store it directly onto this one

>mfw I have another full 2tb drive - made by seagate

the fear is real

tldr is buy wd or hgst drives and keep everything in raid (mirror not something like 0.. never use 0 if you like your files.)

in the future there will be museums and they will have pottery from the ancient world and art from the renaissance and maybe even an iPhone in our section

your hard drive though, probably won't be on exhibition

embrace the present, allow the past to slip through your fingers

this

>powershell

I used to be but I started audited my working theory of curation and found it deprecated. Originally I had been hoarding in case information would no longer be available. However, media; books, movies, games, music, are always available in the right communities. So now I focus only on rare datasets and dumps that aren't easily found on sharing communities. I found the drive to collect media relatable to greed and I felt my epeen getting larger for every 8TB drive I added to my server. Having information readily available doesn't mean having a copy on the disk, I've rationalized. Having a link and auditing the availability of this media is easier and allows the scope of data and information curation to expand at a far greater rate.

My data hoard is called the fucking internet

Not a big data hoarder but still want a tape drive to store 1.6tb of animu on cheap $10 tape

>he doesn't know powershell
>2017

The clicking is a terrifying sound, mine click now and again and I worry for hours. Every single one of my drives is either pulled out of another PC or given from a family member that upgraded theirs.

Museums aren't my interest user, people don't go to a museum to patch software or anything else related to what I store.

Tape drives are my goal.

The only thing I do on my pc is listen to music, watch youtube, download the occasional movie. I have 3TB of shit I'm never gonna watch or listen to. It's fun to have 100GB of old Japanese eurobeat but I'm not a big fan. I have every Seinfeld episode in HD but I don't want to delete it since torrents might not be seeded in the future. I have a large pepe collection but I almost never post with an image. It's great to have all these animes but I don't even like most of it.

What happened to me.

What tape has a 1.6TB capacity and sells blanks for $10? That's a fucking steal. If the drive isn't too expensive, I'd get one.

We use LTO at work, and it's great, but bigly expensive.

I use a zraid of 5x2TB traditional drives for my hoarding.

I hoard anime. I have ~2.6TiB, but I've actually watched basically all of it.
Other than that, I don't have a large amount of anything.

>>inb4 backup blah blah
>this drive WAS a backup drive, then I just got way too much data and had to store it directly onto this one
>
>>mfw I have another full 2tb drive - made by seagate
>
>the fear is real
FFFFFuck. I've had that situation. Do you keep a stack of BDRs on hand to burn the really important stuff off in small chunks? Because now, 25-50GB is small.

I mostly hoard OS images, custom ROMs, apps, recoveries, etc for past and present devices, specific versions of software, and the FLAC copies of my music collection (I keep it in aac on my SSD).

I've recently started adding a bunch of shit to it to free up space on my 480GB SSD (I like keeping it at least 1/3 empty), but I'm also deleting smaller shit I know will never get taken down and larger files I will never need. It allows me to keep a large amount of hard to find shit, and also a lot of files I use often that I'd otherwise have to download again.

>The clicking is a terrifying sound, mine click now and again and I worry for hours. Every single one of my drives is either pulled out of another PC or given from a family member that upgraded theirs.
guy you replied to here.
On windows it can be caused by the indexing or some shit. My drives would do that every time I didnt move the mouse for 10 minutes. I switched to linux and they all stopped clicking. This clicking though is actually because of drive failure.. so keep that in mind if you are using windows.

It sucks that Im desensitized to the clicking though.. I still do realize the seriousness of my situation.
Im pulling the last 300 gb off of this drive right now, so far I cant copy 4 files, the copy fails each time.. idk what to do about that.

Yeah. Don't trust an SSD for long term storage. Clear it off, use it for current stuff.

For archival

Tape > optical > spinning disks > SSDs > USB flash > floppy > magneto optical

But I do know a few people who claim that floppy is actually better than SSD for long term data integrity.

Well the $10 figure was bit of a stretch (more like $10-20 for LTO-4) The 1.6tb figure is the compressed size if your data isn't already compressed, native size is only 800gb.

Used single LTO-4 tape drives I found to be around $300-500 with price varying wildly in all directions.

If you have hoards of data your not going to access often it might be worth it

seageate is timed failure.
even you offline backup could fail the same time as the online raid

pic related

You replied to the wrong guy but no, I have fancied getting a blue ray drive for this very reason but the good discs + the good drives cost way too much.
Ive also looked into tape drives but I feel Ill do something stupid like by the wrong type, shit brand, or store them wrong.

>floppy

gwmi is not powershell specific, although the shell itself was powershell. I would gamble that powershell itself isn't really what is used most often, but that it is a vehicle for wmi that used to exist as wscript et al

I don't hoard too much anime but I save all of the ones I've enjoyed. Eventually going to be put on a media drive for an HTPC along with all of my ripped films and series.

OS images and such are commonplace on my drives as well, I OS hop now and then and not having to download iso's again is super convenient.

I will have to copy stuff over to an unused drive if I can find one as well, spooky thoughts user.

>even you offline backup
yea I keep the seagate unplugged and powerd off for this very reason.
The drive In purging right now is a wd green 2tb.

my plan was, after the wd is vacant, copy the seagates data to the wd, the sort the files, delete the shit I dont need, and reintegrate it all onto the 4tb raid, then retire the 2 tbs or use them as a long term offline storage with mirror copies of eachother.
Then I want to get a dedicated unit with more 4tbs so I can have the breathing room I got a taste of when the 4tb raid was empty. (we hgst now) (saving your pic btw)

>WorldTracker.org Mirror- 550GB of books covering just about every subject imaginable

Floppy was actually decent in terms of reliability, only got a bad rap because near the end floppy Quality dropped trough the floor since it was an afterthought rather than the primary means of storage

Is anyone else's worried their memory retention has become lazy as a result of (almost) never needing to remember anything?

Because I worry my data hoarding is doing this to me. I have terrible memory once I'm away from my pc, but as a result of that I feel the urge to hoard an sort everything even more.

It's a viscous circle.

read a book

You tell me senpai

f

>winshit
>powershit

That's a lot of hentai desu

>imgur image
yeah, no.

just over 6tb of storage, 2/3 is used

My screenshot app uploads to Imgur and I'm too lazy to change it.

>tfw you hoard data but don't have the infestructure to back it up
>tfw PDFs that you archive years ago will be useful now but they're buried on HDs that you can't connect for a reason or another.

I spend a few hours twice a year cleaning out my data hoard of stuff that I don't want any more.

At some point within the next year, I am going to do a system-upgrade parts-shuffle, and I'll have a spare box that I can turn into a dedicated headless home server. Maybe June? Maybe September? idk

yeah...It used to be warez and PDF's, now its movies and audiobooks.

K. what kind of setup do you have that can support 20+TB as a single volume?

>you're shit

Synology DS2413+
7x 6TB WD Reds in RAID 6.

Its not hard, a shitton of data cards and drives under freeNAS can do 20tb+

*sata cards
fuck you safari autocorrect

t. wintoddler

How is that year of the Linux desktop going for you?

fucking nice! what do you have on it? I have like a 300GB monthly cap so it would take me forever to fill that shit up.

The Linux Desktop experience is going great, have you paid 6.99 for Microsoft OneDrive and set your default browser to Microsoft Edge yet? Click here to ignore this message for another hour.

>How is that year of the Linux desktop going for you?
bretty gud. been using it for years. still no ads and no telemetry :^)

Movies, TV, backups. I only have 7Mbps internet (fml Australia) but I used to have 100Mbps, and I go to LAN parties to exchange files.

I used to have two SSDs for caching read & writes but I managed to kill them both in a year for excessive I/O. I need some more.

>Microsoft fucks up at every turn
>Lincucks still can't get marketshare as people just move back to Windows 7

>Movies, TV, backups. I only have 7Mbps internet (fml Australia) but I used to have 100Mbps, and I go to LAN parties to exchange files.
Never been to a LAN party... too autistic I guess. Actually, never even heard of a LAN party in US. I read that people just bring their computers, set folders to share and everyone just copies shit like mad.

>I used to have two SSDs for caching read & writes but I managed to kill them both in a year for excessive I/O. I need some more.
jesus.... lol... I guess TRIM gave up. What brand/model were they?

What in god's green earth have you done to an SSD to kill it in under a year?

Cheap Kingston ones. The cache hit rate was 66% when I had them, so they were getting smashed a lot. A hit rate that high generally means I only use the newer stuff most of the time. Hitting the RAID for those requests makes your disks die quicker.

You should have used RAM fir shit like that.

This, RAM was cheap as hell a year ago

I can't add RAM that easily, since it's a Synology box with a shitty motherboard.

If you go down the DDR2 route, it still is. DDR2 is perfectly fine for all kinds of shit. And it's much faster than SSDs anyway.

Nope, my 6 year old 500GB HDD is still only half full and it is the only data storage I have used in that time.

Speed isn't really an issue. The bottleneck is the network. I don't need more than a gigabit at this point.

Time to move up to a custom NAS box then, pre-built ones never do give a lot of flexibility

>People are moving back to an OS that will inevitably hit EOL within a few years and not receive any security patches
>People are moving back to an OS where the manufacturer is explicitly disabling support for any processors that come out in 2017
>Real fucking people are actually going out and reinstalling Windows 7

Have you paid 6.99 for Microsoft OneDrive and set your default browser to Microsoft Edge yet? Click here to ignore this message for another hour.

>he doesnt have 3 cases of 2-4TB disks
laughing sluts

>Time to move up to a custom NAS box then, pre-built ones never do give a lot of flexibility
any guides on how to build one? chassis? mobo? OS? seems fucking complicated.

WTF do you have on them? Corporate shit?

Too much investment, I might consider when drives are cheaper. But at the moment my drives of choice are $400 a pop.

>WTF do you have on them? Corporate shit?
Most of them are blank. Otherwise backups for 8x 4TB HGST UltraStar 7K4000s in a RAID 6.

>Most of them are blank
Fuck... how much money have you sunk into that shit?

>any guides on how to build one? chassis? mobo? OS? seems fucking complicated.
chasis: any 4-5 year old desktop with 4+ slots for hard drives.
mobo: see above
seems fucking complicated: if learing how to ftp to a linux box or setting up samba is "fucking complicated" you should seriously consider going back to >>Sup Forums

Its nothing harder than just putting together a normal PC but with a NAS chassis and maybe a raid card.

It is somewhat harder than just buying a ready made NAS box, but you do get more options when it comes to basically everything, more RAM, more drives, etc.

There is also freeNAS which is built just for purpose and makes it really easy to get things setup software side

None

Thing about FreeNAS is it's a ram hog because of ZFS and ram prices aren't the best right now. You also want ECC for that. If you're just storing movies and shit you probably don't need to go that route. OpenMediaVault is very similar with standard filesystems.

reveal your secrets

>Work in a data center where there are pallets worth of disks
>???
>Profit

>You also want ECC for that
Its not like ECC DDR3 is real expensive at the moment (under $80 for some 32gb kits)

But really freeNAS is just one of many things you can use, was just an example of something that's simple to setup

Nice. But what about inventory? Does no one bother keeping track of parts or is it such a volume that you snagging one or two every so often flies under the radar?

For most companies a small crate of missing drives could be counted as a rounding error or they could just be retired

This.

I mostly download from /e/ and then just slideshow through them with that minimal slideshow app with the backwards Z

Most places i've worked have had horrible asset management practices. At this place it was so bad we had a room full of cases of disks because people would buy them and then forget about them.

And I'm not talking about a well organized stock room either, I'm talking about a office that was stacked floor to ceiling, and if you needed something in back you were going to have to spend half a day digging it out.

>100gb of old Japanese eurobeat

Would love to know where you got all of that. I have the same thing as you, fear torrents of things you like die and just keep it all stored. Most of my data is based on this, most of the films and tv shows I like I don't delete fearing never finding to download again, and if I got them on a low seeding torrents, hell yeah I will never delete, even knowing I might never watch it again. 3tb of stuff that I think is "rare" or impossible to find, maybe because of that we create some kind of fear of loosing it, these "special gems" that we may not like that much, but have some kind of emotional value. My father have the same shit, but with Vinils and books.

I still have stuff in my downloads folder from 2012, I really should archive it all onto something

Still though, even natively stored carts are cheaper than disk. A 1tb is ~40 USD, so equivalent tape would net you 3.2 TB of storage.

please do this.

>Still though, even natively stored carts are cheaper than disk.
Not necessarily when you factor in how expensive tape drives are. Unless you're buying 1000s of tapes. There is a reason why virtual tape libraries exist.

True, but that's just initial set up costs. You have to buy the desktop to play with the disk drives too I suppose. Of course, I wished they made USB 3.0 Tape drives, becuase most use SCSI or fibre, so a connector card is in order.

Also, does LTO 4 even support LTFS? otherwise you need bullshit software to store data, whereas LTFS compatible drives let you mount carts like flash drives and shit.

You also have to think that tape drives are enterprise grade gear and in the long run a few tapes storing the same thing is going to be more reliable than a single 1tb consumer drive while still being much cheaper.

There not too expensive for some of the older stuff and getting a single tape 5.25 bay drive

No LTFS in LTO 4 sadly

>You have to buy the desktop to play with the disk drives too I suppose.
No, just a USB SATA dock. Its what I use for my cases of disks.

>so a connector card is in order.
SAS HBAs are cheap. LTO-6 tapes are fairly cheap too at $30 for 3TB. Problem is the drives cost $2k each.

>LTO4
At this point it is going to be such a hassle with swapping tapes you shouldnt even bother.

>otherwise you need bullshit software to store data
I just use it for backups. StarWind VTL works well for emulating a tape drive.

>mount carts like flash drives and shit.
This would be absolutely horrible. Tape drives have horrible seek times, and wtf are you going to do if a file spans multiple tapes?

>There not too expensive for some of the older stuff and getting a single tape 5.25 bay drive
If youre comparing used tape drives then to be fair you should also be comparing the prices of used disks which still end up beating tape unless you need LOTs of it.

I hadn't realized until this thread, but yes, I am. I save everything that I feel I won't ever be able to find again.

Im the same way. I've been building my library of TV shows and movies since I got my first computer and some of it I cant find in torrents anymore. So I keep it all just in case anyone ever wants to watch them or wants to download them.

>you need bullshit software to store data
what, is tar too hard for you?

>NTFS
>No redundancy
>No checksums

Nope, I'm only at about 30 of the 42TB on my Plex server.