Would speakers like this actually work?

These ones:

kickstarter.com/projects/vetr/panl1-speaker-system-by-vetr-audio-ditch-the-box

I like the look but I don't get how it would make sound

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_loudspeaker
youtube.com/watch?v=CUxQUrsiJJY
bestbuy.com/site/martinlogan-electromotion-esl-8-floor-speaker-each-black/2074269.p?skuId=2074269
amazon.com/BenQ-Bluetooth-Electrostatic-Experience-Classical/dp/B00PGBDB86
youtube.com/watch?v=RrNOq41LGjs
youtube.com/watch?v=YvQzxcYZuss
youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4sNzFq9og
youtube.com/watch?v=WkPyeAIfF8Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If they are electrostatic they'd work fine, but need a subwoofer since they produce almost zero bass

>electrostatic
Not sure what that means in this context (speakers)

>$13,216 pledged of $10,000 goal

Humans were a mistake.

Electrostatic loudspeakers, user. Just... Google these things. Use Google.

>10 months later
>hey we need to do a second round of fundraising sry guys

literally the first result

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_loudspeaker

>mount transducer on a sheet of carbon fiber
>MLG HI-FI AUDIOS

If you're gonna sell a meme speaker, might as well make a plasma speaker

don't even need that. just needs a material that vibrates well. used to have one of these gimmicks somewhere. basically the small vibrator unit sticks to material and vibrates it to create sound. sounds shitty as hell but was pretty fun to play with. but yes, sound produced this way is shitty and needs a woofer.

I don't undertstand what they need a kickstarter for? That's just an entirely standard electrostatic shelf speaker.

These things are already available, admittedly they still come in a box because they have subwoofer drivers included or else they have no fucking bass but the basic thing is already produced, you could just remove it from the box.

Where are you guys getting that this is an electrostatic speaker? Carbon fiber is not a conductor. Unless I'm being lied to these literally CAN'T be electrostatic.

Electrostatic speakers went out of fashion with hifi makers about a decade ago, and the remaining ones on the market are sold at the high end...

So i guess it's novel that someone is making these, but they are nothing special or unique as they are claiming. The subwoofer looks like an off the shelf chink one though.

>Carbon fiber is not a conductor.
It is.

How far is it to go from a working prototype to production? I thought prototype was always the final thing before you start producing stuff

F

>youtube.com/watch?v=CUxQUrsiJJY
>6 inch piece of carbon fiber
>only 2 ohm resistance

Well fuck me sideways, I thought carbon fiber was mostly plastic.

Carbon is not plastic.

Also, have you heard about graphite?

>graphite
graphene

minimalist bullshit cancer.

This is nothing new, there are glass speakers a long long time, the thing is, anything that vibrates can create a sound but there is a limited wavelength, speakers as we know today that exists since the dawn of eletric technology are the ones with the best range that exists. This one you posted is just cute, but don't do anything great.

>graphite
you mean I can take a no.2 pencil, draw ciruits on paper and it'll work if I insert the proper transistor/resistors at the proper points?

You could even make a trackpad

What's wrong with minimalism, are you a member of the RGBT community?

Interesting concept, not sure how they'll sound compared to those flat panel speakers floating around in the early 2000's. Ordered a pair.

Carbon really only becomes a good conductor when you align it- pencil graphite is super disorganized, and pretty resistive when you put it on paper, but yes, it could work.

These are nothing new. You can even check them out yourself at BestBuy.

bestbuy.com/site/martinlogan-electromotion-esl-8-floor-speaker-each-black/2074269.p?skuId=2074269

>$1249
>electrostatic

vs

>$299
>not electrostatic

These are not at all similar. Did you even open OP's link?

They use the same tech and of course floorstanders from a name brand are going to cost more. There's plenty of bookshelves too but they price them higher because of the gimmick. They're just bringing the same gimmick to kickstarter.

Here's another, small and same price.

amazon.com/BenQ-Bluetooth-Electrostatic-Experience-Classical/dp/B00PGBDB86

Would they "work"? Yes

Would they sound good, or even comparable to 90% of other speakers in their price range? Unlikely

>They use the same tech
I'd love for you to point out, where in that fucking Kickstarter, they mention ANYTHING about electrostatics.

Look at the god damn pictures. Those are not electrostatic speakers. Unless they came up with some wild new technology where the surround is invisible, they are not electrostatics.

>hurr every flat panel speaker ever created has been electrostatic
>but these ones don't
>they use magic

Are you retarded?

I bet you're the same retard that thought the self filling water bottles would work.

HOW THE FUCK

CAN YOU MAKE ELECTROSTATIC SPEAKERS

THAT DO NOT HAVE

A FUCKING SURROUND

Show me on this fucking picture where their fucking stators are

I've never seen someone get so worked up over being stupid

>self filling water bottles
I'm trying to figure out what that means but I'm drawing a blank.

It means you're a gullible retard.

Pretty easy to google but I guess most people that fall for kickstarter shit don't bother doing that.

Good argument you fucking frogposter.

10/10 boys, guess I got trolled. I know that you know they aren't electrostatic speakers, but I took the bait and I accept that.

reminds me of youtube.com/watch?v=RrNOq41LGjs

they use carbon fiber strips in that, my guess would be: carbon fiber sheet + 'make any surface a speaker' like youtube.com/watch?v=YvQzxcYZuss

>shit SPL
>no midrange or bass
>still needs a subwoofer + amp and basically is useless
Looks cool as fuck i hope it ends up in a sci fi movie or something but its totally fucking retarded from a practicality standpoint.

If they are making the argument that its a fashion accessory then cool but it will sound like shit and its a gimmick.

>meme fiber

urgh...

looking at more sound exciters now like from dayton
youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4sNzFq9og

I'd do something like this for my parents, get em off TV speakers and hang something nice.

planar magnetic is superior anyway.

$240 for a pair of shitty speakers? No thanks.

Sure
youtube.com/watch?v=WkPyeAIfF8Y
Is it worth it? No.

Kickstarter water bottle that came with a tiny solar panel to condense water from air inside it.

Only problem was that their claims didn't match basic laws of physics, there was no way the panel could supply enough power to condense as much water as they claimed, by many hours, under best climate conditions.

The frequency chart is really not great. Not good at all. And they are obfuscating a lot of the information by breaking it down into a 10 bar equalizer effectively.

Kys faggot graphene is literally graphite, its just fucking carbon. one happens to be a single layer thick

Not sure what all the fuss is about. These speakers aren't even flat. They're less flat at any rate than the speakers you find in your smartphone.

>backing tech on kickstarter

What could go wrong?

This seems useful for sexual purposes

Poorly. The FR chart is once again a laughing stock for multiple reasons.

>Carbon fiber is not a conductor

Wut?

>tfw no Martin Logans

No where around me even has them to try out.

Never invest in Kickstarters.

Always let other people invest, then buy the finished product once they're done.

You don't want to end up like those morons who invested in the world's best cooler, do you?

get real hifi

fuck off shill

Would be nice if that fat fuck from Z Reviews could check them out.

Looks like that NXT thing aka distributed mode loudspeaker no one seems to remember anymore. It CAN sound great, but the choice of material for the panel is kinda tricky, as well as dimensions, transducer placement and mount points. And they make NO BASS unless they're literally meters in size.

Hopefully they'd be electrostatic or planar magnetic. These two types of speaker are very, very different, but they both work and they both have decades of history behind them.

Party like it's 1999

>don't even need that.
>...
>but yes, sound produced this way is shitty and needs a woofer.

In terms you might be more familiar with, a prototype can be both an alpha, a beta, and a release candidate.
You often have lots of prototypes before production units.

Those have nothing to do with OP's speakers.

>piezo speaker
Where, anywhere in that page, did they mention piezoelectronics?

>You don't want to end up like those morons who invested in the world's best cooler, do you?
What, support some retard getting millions of dollars for literally a cooler? At least these are an original idea.

people would use pencils to close factory-cut bridges in order to overclock old athlons

>STILL implying a solar powered thorium waterbottle woudnt work

meant don't/doesn't need to be electrostats. just about any material can work.

>buy loads of tiny tweeter speakers
>stick them into a cheap but "aesthetic" case
>make $10000
lel

>AMD quality

hilarious
that's some $50 logitech tier performance and I don't even want to see the THD

Electrostatic is boring.

Planar magnetic is much better.

These look like a small driver affixed to a sheet of carbon fiber as the "cone".

They'll probably sound like shit.

>implying $1500 """"""audiophile""""" speakers are any different

Speakers in general are complete shit. They're literally all terrible at sound reproduction. If you're bitching about audio quality but not using headphones, you're a fucking retard.

2/10

Doesn't look like anything to me