$200 Tablet

I'm thinking about getting the Nvidia Shield K1 - good or bad idea? I don't really give a fuck about muh gaming, I just want a tablet where I can play 1080p movies and do some internet browsing since I'm going to be stuck on some flights over the next few months. Other options at that price point are the ASUS Zenpad and the Amazon HD8, but I don't really trust the Amazon tablet as it feels like a botnet (on top of the obvious Android botnet)

Thoughts?

You get a 1200p display, mini hdmi, lots of hardware power and the best part about it is it's 16:9, which makes it perfect for movies.

It's honestly the best tablet out there just because of what you get and for the price. I'd get the shield k1.

But if you are going to be reading mostly or browsing websites, a tablet in 4:3 scale is easier to use

Probably won't be reading much on it as I still prefer regular books to e-books (dunno why, just do). I'd only be using websites while away from home (otherwise I'd just use my laptop but I don't really want to have to bring that with me on trips) so I can probably deal with the screen size.

Thanks, think I'll be ordering the K1. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some glaring problem I was somehow missing - from a price to hardware standpoint it does seem like a pretty decent deal.

Just be gentle with the screen. I treated my first one like my old nexus 7 (occasionally tossing it into my bed or couch) and ended up with a crack across the whole screen, but Amazon replaced it no questions asked. Otherwise it's a great tablet for the price.

That's pretty shit
I toss my surface pro around like a daily basis and its fine. How can they make such a flimsy device

Another option is the chuwi hi10 pro with dual boot is $180 on amazon it's pretty nice, just bought one for my wife

>It's honestly the best tablet out there just because of what you get and for the price.
I would agree if it was larger. It's still not big enough for mango.

My shield gets tossed around a lot and it's alright so far, definitely would not describe it as flimsy. Especially with the cover on (which is a must, btw)

That's pretty much what I meant by gentle. The new one seems to be sturdier so perhaps the first was just a crappy one.

I have the HD8. Good tablet. I put a 128gb microsd in it.

is the dell venue pro 11 any good?

>wasting 200 bucks on a tablet
It's not worth it, to be honest, there are plenty of cheaper chinese tablets that you can buy for half the price.

looks nice, but I can't justify buying a new tablet when I'm using an ipad2 I got for free right now.

it's a great tablet for that. I have the original shill tablet (2 of them infact, thanks nvidia) and they're perfect for in bed web browsing, movies and casual tablet kinda stuff. No frills, no bullshit, just quality tablet.

>nvidia
wew

that bezel is fucking enormous

2017 is the year of things like the Galaxy S8 and LG G6, this is a relic.

I was thinking of getting one but hasn't it been out for a while now? Is there any chance of Nvidia releasing an updated one soon?

it's 16:10, not 16:9

1920x1200, right?

Does anyone itt have experience reading comics on a shield?

the 16:10 seems good for single page, but is the screen itself large or vibrant enough to really make it enjoyable?

You mean Nintendo Switch???

Just get the switch instead, it's a rebranded shield

retard

It's well regarded. Another good option is Lenovo Yoga 3. The kickstand is just superb. Picked one up with a case for £99 and it performs fine - not as fast as my phone, but plenty for casual browsing and movie watching. Brilliant speakers too.

Just get the first mi pad

Bezel-less tablets are horrible to hold you big idiot. Bezels on laptops need to go though, when a 15.6 inch laptop could hold a much bigger screen.

I w as looking at this too. Is it good? Like my old tablet is getting slow and opening up big pdfs getting kind of slow, especially compared to my new phone.

Nvidia have been busy working on a little thing you may have heard of, think it's called the Nintendo Lever or something.

Besides, ongoing support for the Shield K1 is truly excellent. Got the latest version of Android just last month, with split screen feature and everything.

Use Mangarock app regularly, and the screen size is fine. The screen is pretty bright when cranked up, and perhaps even more importantly, can be dimmed down very low, helpful for reading in bed with the lights out

Do eet.

Shield is the all-round best Android tablet available. Great screen, great speakers, great support (in terms of OS updates, etc). Even the stylus is pretty damn good.

The thing would be perfect if it wasn't for the power and volume buttons. They are absolutely the worst I've come across on a tablet (or phone). It doesn't have a tap to wake or anything, so some sort of smart case or cover is pretty much essential.

A friend of mine read on an 8 american centimeter tablet and it still feels small to me. Go with at least 9" for reading comics or mango.