Awesome 4.1

How come there is no thread about this?

awesomewm.org/apidoc/documentation/89-NEWS.md.html
github.com/awesomeWM/awesome
awesomewm.org/

What do you think? Is it the best window manager in its niche? It only eats up 92mb at startup, even less than openbox but has much more functionality and built in status panel.

tfw no awesome-Qt

>autistic wm
>no thread

What are you complaining about?

real h4xxors use i3 or dwm

What does it do that i3 doesn't?

Can trigger your nerves

>no kwin compositor
>no wayland
>no proper mousemod button binding
I dunno, maybe it's shit?

Yeah, you're right kwin compositor and wayland are shit.

Using less memory and doing everything i3 does and a lot more.

[citation needed]

Because i3 is better ootb.

the only thing stopping me from using awesome is full compatibility with polybar

aside from that i find it is much easier to use, I love being able to go from floating to tiled mode easily and it actually fucking works sensibly with multimonitors unlike i3 where I have to assign certain workspaces to certain monitors and its a general pain in the ass

>He doesn't use TinyWM

>Only one layout
>no functionality except tiling at all
>eats more memory
>leaks memory
>better
If you want simple why not use better alternatives like bspwm? Why even use this monstrosity except if you're a complete retard and only can configure if it's a text file.

Bspwm has too a text file format configuration. I guess i3 is just a trend.

isnt that a tiling wm tho? openobox is a normal window manager and i like that.

I use tmux so I don't need a tiling wm.

i3 15 c0mfy

literally no one cares except for autistic people.

I use awesome wm as a non-tiling wm and it's comfy.

Why would I use this instead of i3? And no, using 0.1 mb less ram doesn't matter.

it has objectively better multi monitor support and more flexibility as a WM since its dynamic and the switch between floating and tiling windows and layouts is much simpler

- Albert Einstein, 2017

How is the multi monitor support better? How is switching to a floating layout easier?

for one i dont have to assign workspaces to monitors, each monitor naturally has the same amount of workspaces I defined

monitor 1 has 5 workspaces, monitor 2 has 5 workspaces and to switch i use the same hotkeys for both monitors and all i have to do is change focus to that monitor

im not entirely sure if you can or cant do this in i3, but in awesome you can switch between a dedicated floating layout where every window is floating, whereas last time i used i3 i think i had to manually make each window floating though its probably doable some other way

anyway awesome just has more functionality overall imo

Dwm is far superior and 100x lighter

>superior
>having to patch in functionality and recompile every time you want to configure something

Wouldn't say that that way of doing multiple monitors is objectively better, just a preference thing. Sounds interesting though.

its honestly horrible having multiple monitors with i3

i dont want to have to have 10 workspaces defined with different key combinations for if i wanted 5 workspaces per monitor, thats ridiculous

aside from that i just find i3 really fucking hates floating

The workspaces get created automatically with i3, super+number works fine w/ multiple monitors in my experience. Yup, i3 is garbage with floating, but I don't really have a lot of uses for those.

yea i just have a lot of things i use that dont scale well with tiling, usually programs i need to work through wine and some gtk apps

Who xmonad here?

What's the benefit of using this shit?

xfce werks, why drop it?
>tearing
literally who cares, I'm not playing videogames

>tfw updated to 4.0 from awesome 3.5 two month ago and everything is still broken
my +1k loc rc.lua and theme.lua, that took me years to perfect, is now useless... fuck this shit, I'm back to windowmaker

My fonts are fucked up. Awesome's native term emu is shit

tearing isnt about video games u fucking idiot, no one who complains about tearing in linux is talking about video games

it literally screen tears when scrolling through a god damn page or moving a window around, its absolutely awful and anyone who can stand that without doing something about needs to be euthanized

>Being so dumb you cannot understand C
Go back to windows, you're out of your league.

nice implication but i wasnt referring to complexity of the language but the effort involved in simply getting it to function compared to any sensible wm

Can you guys educate a novice and tell me why I'd use a custom window manager? I'm on Gnome Ubuntu 16.04

>fedora still on 3.5.9
wtf. it's usually not this slow.

also known as faggotwm LOL

Way too bloated
dwm beats em all

dwm is the best but only if you use it properly.

>scrolling up and down
>all I see is scrolling up and down
Do people actually use smooth scrolling?

>moving a window around
Don't you have shortcuts m8?

Did they fix the bug of gtk menu bars not being redrawn when you switch between tabs?

>not using xmonad
normies.

I prefer the "original" awesome
dwm

It works out of the box and it's perfectly usable. The extras are your choice.

It looks fucking awesome, but it doesn't seem very productive.
I just use gnome3 with dash to panel and rofi as a startup menu.

I don't think I could use an enviorment without a taskbar

As someone who switched from awesome to i3, how about not having to learn a fucking coding language just to edit your config file? Seriously, that thing is a mess in awesome, and if you get the syntax wrong at all, it defaults to the normal config, as a big fuck you. No useless borders by default (lain does NOT count) no window resizing in tile mode, and bad stock layouts.

how does it compare to i3/awesome? thinking about this
Also, polybar support?

It's extensible, I'm sure you could add a "polybar" whatever that is. But it's like dwm, you have to recompile after you make changes.

polybar is just a very nice bar.
Is it true that you can configure it so that it makes all of you window arranging automatically so that I won't have to waste time on that?

I haven't used xmonad (yet), but I would assume it maximizes the first window by default and splits the screen when you open more windows. If you tend to have the same programs open and want a particular layout for them I would assume you can do that as well.

What's a wm with curved corners?

>awesome
lol i'm so r4ndumb
Lol rofflec@kes t3h penguin of pure awesome