/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/39pCVX97Lmg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which one of you did this

what do you think?

What is materials engineering?

It's the safe choice

>watch
>it is not constantly synchronized with the atomic clocks of the world's time satellites

It is literally trash.

yeah this may sound dumb.. but what are the numbers closest to the centre even for?

24-hour time

24 hour time. 1pm is 13, etc

Are there any watches similar to the Hamilton khaki in the price range?

that i should consider other than it*

In this case mostly about tribology: how to avoid excessive wear. Wheels of same material in contact causes wear, using different materials will help. This is not related to use of lubricants.

It never ceases to amaze me what triggers someone's autism

i like it. not what i'd buy myself but i'd compliment you on it.

they really should have just left the 15 off.

well, there's also amagnetic materials, materials with different rigidity to make different escapements (see the genequand escapement, that is only possible because of silicon); there's also different case materials like ceramics, for weight and looks...

>It never ceases to amaze me that glaring design flaws triggers someone's autism

this is also definitely more of an OCD thing and little to do with autism

That last thread was absolute cancer
Thanks OP for keeping it simple

Question lads,
Would you rather the money on pic related or a Rolex?

I think the one pictured looks like shit, but some are ok

see

oof, look at how the date isn't instantaneous

God a Rolex any day. That seriously looks like a Fossil.

>glaring design flaw
It's hardly that bad

Yes. It is. Swatch did that on purpose. It was entirely in their power to omit the 15 or use a different movement or dial size to change the alignment, but they decided instead to use the dial to remind you that you cheapest out on an "entry level Swiss" piece of shit.

This is the same reason there is always something off about Tissot designs. They exist as wrist mounted Omega advertisements.

>they decided instead to use the dial to remind you that you cheapest out on an "entry level Swiss" piece of shit.

I think they did it just to piss you off

here's how it would appear with the 15 index removed

the improvement is immediately obvious and undeniable

(note that you can conveniently use the seconds/minutes track's "15" index in case you forget.)

Orient flight
Seiko snk809

those of you who bought from yahoo japan auctions, did you use buyee? is the fee+shipping expensive?

I'd like a Milgauss. But only a Milgauss. Very few other Rolexs do it for me.

It arrived, it's cute.

Hamilton is the fucking worst when it comes to their date wheel positions. Most of the time it looks like an afterthought.

This piece of chocolate is telling me to stop shopping for watches at work

>eating dove
Disgusting.

rolex submariner, best resale. You will loose a lot value the moment you buy this

I see no piece of chocolate. Are you trying to trick me?

They also use a cheap plastic dial and eleborate movements now and then. They do use sapphire glass I'll give them that. But you're right the design is "OK" but not great.

Omega's are not really worth it imho, a lot of their designs are based on ETA'S. I would go for a Rolex, LeCoultre or Tudor given the choice.

Not that ETA is bad, it's great for serviceability but paying a premium for a mass produced movement is just a ripoff.

I used zenmarket, they waived the 300 yen fee but paypal charges 3% for the currency conversion. Shipping was like 1800 yen.

I ate it already

Best place to buy a titanium bracelet for my Seiko?

Arrived today.

looks nice, fits you well

Let's not exaggerate user, if you saw it in person you would know

Are you suggesting that this picture is of a real VC? We're they actually this hideous? The current model isn't my thing but at least it's not upchuck inducing. The same cannot be said for this one.

nice. i hope you like it
i bought pic related with the rubber strap (which is a lot nicer than the one that came with the SKX007) since i'm not crazy about stock Seiko bracelets, though the one that came with the Recraft is nice enough for that watch

>he doesn't synchronize his satellites to my +/-0s

WEW
E
W

/wg/, I'm looking to bid on this watch at an auction. is it real or fake?

God I just love the simplicity of these watches.. apparently Hitler loved Laco too. I might get this.

New bambeaner

>tfw so much better than everyone else people ignore your posts out of spite.

jeez not this again. is that other faget going to start ranting again also

>made in Germany
>no swastika

Fake.

Go for a model with thermally blued hands.

nani??

kek'd. but srsly tho, how could I tell?

Do they have the model on the Nomos site?

I don't think Nomos uses lume

how is the bezel action, lume, and bracelet quality? I have been considering this vs a ray II

>Do they have the model on the Nomos site?
Nope. It's sold as is at an estate auction. Will go see it in person.

>I'm looking to bid on this watch at an auction

lol, why?

Probably fake then. Also that pattern and lugs don't look right.

>Probably fake then.
How so? I've bought shit off state auctions for the past 5 years and never got fucked by fakes. There's less fakes at estate auctions than on ebay.

>Also that pattern and lugs don't look right.
can you tell me what it should look like? I don't even know what this model is...

>I don't even know what this model is...

gentlemen, allow me to introduce the typical HOMOS buyer

>state auctions
you got a website, or did you actually just go to a local auction??

that's the only pic. any idea what model this is suppose to be? I can look it up on Nomos site...

eh...

i was wondering if there's a website where you bought the watch.
the auction sounds interesting and i'd like to peruse it myself

I mean, go to the Nomos website and find out ffs. If it's real it will be there?

The choice is obvious.

hey Sup Forums, I've been given the task of creating a spit roast for a friends firepit. They want a "clockwork" mechanism to power it and have a few large gears from a rusted old clothes press they had lying around as well as a workshop with welder that I can use.

My only issue is that I know very little about clockwork mechanisms.

Does anyone in Sup Forums know any good books about the basics of watchmaking? Although judging by the size of the gears they have, I might need more of a grandfather clock guide.

Help plz

horrible, but factual

women look at me differently now that I wear a NOMOS.

I believe it is from their Doctors w/o borders series.

>the auction sounds interesting and i'd like to peruse it myself
That's why I didn't post links ;) Sorry user, but I wanna get this one for myself.

Thanks user! Will take a look.

It does look extremely similar but it says Made in Germany at the bottom insyead of doctors without borders... hmm

Was Doctors edition just rebranded one of their other editions?

I'd like it if not for those sparkles

I think your'e bidding on a fake, the seconds dial is flat which is atypical for nomos

holy shit those lugs are horrible

>the seconds dial is flat which is atypical for nomos
How can you tell it's flat? I just can't even zoom in that much.

>sparkles
The hour indexes?

looks very nice

The pattern on the dial, I assume they mean

What you want us a big weight on a string for power, and then an escapement using a pendulum to keep it going at a regular rate

There's a whole bunch of videos and articles online about this kind of thing if you searched what I mentioned.

Keep in mind, the amount of torque to turn the spit might be a lot of it's not nicely made. You can attach the spit directly to the escape wheel, or create gears off of the escape wheel to gear up or down.

youtu.be/39pCVX97Lmg

>They want a "clockwork" mechanism to power it
A lawn chair and a case of beer

Rrrrrrr

what watch are you measuring?

I cannot unsee that so I do not want this watch anymore.

>hello, this watch sells for (my price minus $400) where I live
>lower the price and I will send you the money right away

From multiple eBay buyers, who can go fuck themselves.

What app is this

Wildspectra Lite

I got you senpai

The 38 mm looks much better

its still off

Can you guys recommend me a strap for pic related? I mostly wear black so a brown strap wouldn't go well and i don't want a gaudy gold strap, but wouldn't have nothing against a cloudy or less shiny one.

I am leaning towards a black eulit perlon.

I've seen some phuckers here with nasty fingernails. Please read this.

It's a lot better than the 42 mm

So I'm restoring this first gen black monster for a pal and I'm wondering where to go next. The movement needs a new crown and stem (used a 7S26A). I also need a new set or hands or at least a second hand. Is the best way to go just buy a new movement all together and swap the watch face over ? Then try and get new hands ?

Managed to get a trace at 22820bph but looks like this is going back for service.

Now just make the crown smaller, the glass less reflective (apparently it is), and we would have perfection.