I've just been released from the hospital a few days ago and I realized something...

I've just been released from the hospital a few days ago and I realized something. I was only there for one day because surgery on my leg took longer than expected.
But I woke up at 3AM and saw people still bustling around patients being moved to emergency surgeries and doctor's discussing what drug or treatment they should give this old man with severe heart problems. Paramedics rushing in another patient from a car accident attaching an IV and more.

And it made me realized that these people who earn pretty mediocre wages and work insanely long shifts do everything they can to save and help people, while I shuffle from one job to another, working on worthless corporate CRUD shit and programming stupid apps that no one needs, contracted by companies with too much marketing budget, packing my shit at 5PM at the latest and watch Netflix and shitpost at home.

Since then I've been feeling stupid and wondered what I can do with my work that actually makes an impact. I mean it's too late for me to become a doctor obviously but there has to be equipment and stuff that these people use. At least something to make someone's life easier or happier.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XbOeO_frzvg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why is it obviously too late to be a doctor?

Because I'm 27

You don't need to be a doctor to help people. Just see what things you are good at and use them to help others. It all begins with a bit of self discovery, and it is something that you will not find on Sup Forums.

It's never too late to gas the jews

You could double down on learning real time operating systems, and find a job that develops life-critical software like the stuff they use in hospitals amd whatnot. That's probably as close as it gets for comp sci

Medical school student here.

There's a 32 year old in my class with two kids. A 43 year old lesbian. And some guys who's almost 50 in my class.

It's not really too late. Hell, go to a Caribbean school and you probably don't even have to take the MCAT or give an interview. It will be hell, but it's never too late.

Understand though, any profession helps people. I got into medicine because I wanted to be a teacher, a mentor, and a pillar of my community, not because I wanted to just help people. Your work can just be a means for you to live, but you can always volunteer at a soup kitchen or do something for your community.

You can program for a biomechanics firm or some shit and help people with prosthetics. Maybe some EKG or ultrasound machine needs people with your skill set. You can make a difference if you need to, you just have to go out and do it. The fact that you're recognizing this desire is what matters most.

You're good at programming? If so, join a biomedical company or something in that field, and start working on what doctors need to improve their efficiency. For example, databases to address diagnoses or like the user above, a software that operates medical machines and whatnot

OP no matter what you do you'll die and no one will remember who you were in 100 years after. Life is about doing what you want not "making an impact".

I've been working 3 month for a medical startup, looking for a way to spot breast cancers. I was here to dev the software on the machine.
Best Time I had in a company. Good people working for something more than their salary. If you feel like you need to have a higher goal in your work I strongly advise you to look for something similar.

kys

>Understand though, any profession helps people. I got into medicine because I wanted to be a teacher, a mentor, and a pillar of my community, not because I wanted to just help people. Your work can just be a means for you to live, but you can always volunteer at a soup kitchen or do something for your community.

Seconding this. Being a doctor/physician is a comprehensive job and a demanding job, but also something that builds on hundreds of years of experience and contributions from many, many different fields.

Just imagine how different things would be if there were no trucks for people to be rushed to the hospital. Or just no paramedics to operate the truck. If there were no heart monitors, if there were no drugs, if these drugs weren't tested, and much much more.

Firefighters in many countries also heavily depend on volunteers. It's a very rewarding experience, I can tell from my own experience. It's unpaid but you get to operate big ass trucks and you and your peers are the only ones to stand between a house burning to the ground and or extinguishing the fire and saving a person in the house.

Thanks guys, I'll look it all up. Glad that I'm not the only one with this dilemma.

Here's a redpill for you OP: youtube.com/watch?v=XbOeO_frzvg

I think a lot of it has to do with the impact your work has in general, not just "helping" people.

During college I worked as a part time network admin for an ISP. The work wasn't particularly well paid and most of the time it wasn't very demanding (in terms of "intelligence" anyway) either. But boy was there a lot of ruckus if we fucked something up or some hardware failure occurred because hundreds to thousands of people and companies would suddenly lose all their connectivity (phone and internet) and if we fixed it they were happy again.

>But I woke up at 3AM and saw people still bustling around patients being moved to emergency surgeries and doctor's discussing what drug or treatment they should give this old man with severe heart problems. Paramedics rushing in another patient from a car accident attaching an IV and more.
Dude, you got conned, Have a think. Why were you in a ward with all this going on?
Does your hospital really have emergency and cardiovascular in the same space as day surgery recovery?

I was being overly dramatic. I have seen those things on different occasions and in different locations during my stay. The only thing I've witnessed on 3AM was the paramedics rushing someone somewhere. I just assumed it was a car accident victim but it could've been whatever. My point still stands though.

Well just keep it in mind. It's a thing that happens. Doctors take you for a ride with a placebo surgery. All for a psychological experiment.
Subtle stuff, like 3+ liters of piss taken from your cath. Some other patent talking to you from across the way but dropping their voice mid sentence to see if you ask for them to repete or speak up. Asking you if everyone's been using the hand sanitizer ect.

why are programmers paid so much even though their job is much easier?

Why not work on open source software? You'd help everyone by supporting some software project. It would also improve your own skill.

It's because not everyone can do the job, otherwise it wouldn't pay good.

if you want to help people become a uber driver

>mediocre wages
>living in a third world country where medical professions are "public federal jobs"

this, desu

I work IT at a large hospital.

Witnessing the inner workings of healthcare makes me want to kill myself on the daily.

Hospital doctors are usually not as well paid as private practices