Hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/VOJO-Auxiliary-Uncoiled-Tangle-free-Connector/dp/B01N56KSL2/ref=pd_sim_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N56KSL2&pd_rd_r=1BKTE51BMR86QK9MKC9H&pd_rd_w=7TOky&pd_rd_wg=bXMoN&psc=1&refRID=1BKTE51BMR86QK9MKC9H
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
youtube.com/watch?v=S12PK8I6rrw
ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-600-Headband-Headphones-Black-/232273044018?hash=item36148d6232:g:zbYAAOSw2gxYyqie
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Posting in fresh bread XDDDD

Can someone recommend me a good aux cable with the slimmest possible connector? I have a pair of Bang & Olufson H6's but its stock cable died and normal aux cable connectors are way too wide.

amazon.com/VOJO-Auxiliary-Uncoiled-Tangle-free-Connector/dp/B01N56KSL2/ref=pd_sim_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N56KSL2&pd_rd_r=1BKTE51BMR86QK9MKC9H&pd_rd_w=7TOky&pd_rd_wg=bXMoN&psc=1&refRID=1BKTE51BMR86QK9MKC9H

This is the only one I've found with a connector smaller than 6.25mm in diameter, but the reviews are scaring me off a bit. The only reason I need a new one is because the last one was bad.

Preferably a coiled cable too btw.

Hi I'm looking for a new headphones for my cool meme iPhone 4 because they are melting apart. These are the second headphones I buy for the iPhone. They cost me like 20€ if I rememeber it well. They are the official ones.

I don't know which materials Apple use to make the cables for the headphones and for the power cable but they break apart alone in 2 years.

I also bought a second official power cable and it is breaking apart as well. I have it fix with tape for the wires don't go out.

Apple accesories are shitty as hell.

MAKI

Thanks for the EQ Advice, user. They sound a lot better now.

Play around with the filter width "Q". That's the part where the parametric equalizer really is powerful. You need very little filters to fix that response. Perhaps two is enough for bass already so long as you use correctly sized filters.

>MAKI

umi recommends HD600.

>people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
>Lossless formats
>It's true enough that a properly encoded Ogg file (or MP3, or AAC file) will be indistinguishable from the original at a moderate bitrate.
>But what of badly encoded files?
>Twenty years ago, all mp3 encoders were really bad by today's standards. Plenty of these old, bad encoders are still in use, presumably because the licenses are cheaper and most people can't tell or don't care about the difference anyway. Why would any company spend money to fix what it's completely unaware is broken?
>Moving to a newer format like Vorbis or AAC doesn't necessarily help. For example, many companies and individuals used (and still use) FFmpeg's very-low-quality built-in Vorbis encoder because it was the default in FFmpeg and they were unaware how bad it was. AAC has an even longer history of widely-deployed, low-quality encoders; all mainstream lossy formats do.
>Lossless formats like FLAC avoid any possibility of damaging audio fidelity [23] with a poor quality lossy encoder, or even by a good lossy encoder used incorrectly.
>A second reason to distribute lossless formats is to avoid generational loss. Each reencode or transcode loses more data; even if the first encoding is transparent, it's very possible the second will have audible artifacts. This matters to anyone who might want to remix or sample from downloads. It especially matters to us codec researchers; we need clean audio to work with.

Inderasting...

youtube.com/watch?v=S12PK8I6rrw

Maki wears Grado though.

>shit girl uses shitphones
Sasuga

AC-3 patents expired yesterday.
by the end of 2017, ALL mp3 patents will expire.

RIP Opus.

that's unofficial fanart.

OP pic are offical Maki headphones from Panasonic.

Aight, thanks; I'll update whenever.

What headphones do you recommend the most for extensive Insane Clown Posse listening?

All these formats are garbage.

OPUS isn't just free, it puts everything else to shame.

Not that I care, I don't stream music. I have a proper FLAC collection.

> finally get comply tips for earphones
Holy fuck everything sounds better. Why did nobody tell me about this

Hello Sup Forumsents, need some advice for headphones for the wife. She likes the beats solo 3, but I'm not a big fan of them. Is there anything like them in terms of folding, has case, wireless, and nice colors?

Got the bass smoothed out, graph looks pretty good now

Has this happened to anyone else:
Buy DT880
after 1 week: turn bass on home hifi system to 9:00 o'clock
after several months: turn bass on home hifi system to minimum

And of course better quality build and sound. The aesthetics are obviously second to quality. Portability is key since she travels a lot. Not interested In in ear

>Panasonic
Actually they're from Pioneer.

>after several months: turn bass on home hifi system to minimum
That's what everyone does. No one really likes or wants bass-heavy headphones. Your next step should be to sell them and buy natural sounding headphones.

I have a theory that retards who use IEMs and can't get any bass with them because they don't know how ot seal them properly end up byuing bass-heavy headphones and then regret it.

Sony h.ear on Wireless NC?

About to buy some DT770's, are they hpg approved?

No one in /hpg/ accepts anything other than "neutral" headphones. Just go with the sound signature you prefer; whether it's nigger bass, v-shaped, or "neutral".

Only if you're a DJ.

How do I succeed at beating "the final boss of headphone quest" and acquire them for cheap? I don't have the money to buy them new. Ebay auctions are always within $50 of retail (which is insane). How do I do it?

I'm ok with it, Isolates well and is very comfortable, if you like v-shapped signature you will enjoy it very much.

Buy fulfilled from amazon. wait till after 8pm the day after delivery, call in, say you'd like to know why your headphones are taking so long to get to you

???
free hd600

If you can't save enough for these, there's problems with your life you gotta solve as a priority. Getting them HD600, as awesome as they are, can wait.

Stop listening to music, start getting shit done.

I don't like cheating/stealing etc. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to sleep right for weeks.

I'm a college student. No time to make money right now.

Morals are expensive.

What is a good solution to leaving multiple pairs of headphones plugged into the same source and pressing a button to switch between them?

Also opinion on graphic equalizers? I know it's probably exactly the same thing as software but I feel like not only would a hardware one look awesome on your desk but you(i) would be much more likely to actually use it if it's right infront of me.

I know. But it works out in the long run.. I think. I just don't have the personality to do it. I know that I would be stressed the fuck out for weeks/months because of it.

beats by dre

walk into any Apple store, see the Genius, and you'll walk out with brand new ones. I've done it so many times with apple accessories.

ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-600-Headband-Headphones-Black-/232273044018?hash=item36148d6232:g:zbYAAOSw2gxYyqie

I mean they're $50 off. It's not going to get much better than that for a high demand item.

I think my posting was a bit ambiguous.
The headphones are fine, it's just the speakers on my home hifi system (when I listen w/o headphones) who are to bass heavy.
Thanks for that slides though.

>I mean they're $50 off. It's not going to get much better than that for a high demand item.
Right. Theyr'e always like that... just $50 shy of retail yet they're used. :(

poorfag here, can someone recommend me a decent pair of headphones with clear audio for around $20?

Buy something more entry level, wait until you are set to get the better ones. There are great options for under 200$

Try looking at

and look at the infographic.

ps: we really need to send all these

ok, thank you for the help

This is /hpg/, user. Budget headphones are allowed.

Is it really necessary to buy "better" cables for the HD 600s or is this audiophile crystal tube placebo?

Don't buy it?
There are at least a few people who love it to bits, and other who do not. It is not remotely perfect, but it is an easy suggestion because it at least sets a baseline.
Head-Fi specializes more in these headphone sales sort of things, along with Slickdeals. If you aren't going to buy something right away, may as well set up an account there and wait for something to show up.

>Also opinion on graphic equalizers?
Strictly less functional than a parametric equalizer.
There are plenty of people who seem to lack competence with either, and the parametric gives them more ability to mess around with things they don't understand.

>infographic
kek

>Cables
You don't want to go there. There's no hope if you start obsessing over cables.

Unless they're tens of meters long or outright broken, you shouldn't even be thinking about cables.

But the tracking will say it went to my house. Am I supposed to convince them someone stole it? Would they even cover it? Wont they just send another instead of refunding me? WOuldnt the refund only be amazon bux? How much of a hassle is this /biz/?

Dont make this mistake of constantly upgrading youll just spend more money than you'd like and have a bunch of shitty headphones you dont use. Just wait.

yvw
sure, but we're not experts on it.
it's actually quite good. if you're looking for cheap shit, that infographic will tell you all the pros and cons of stuff... including headphones.

Having one pair of sub 200 headphones untill you can grow into more expensive ones isn't bad advice.

No, all the convincing required is asking why the package is late when tracking shows delivered. If it's fufilled by amazon but not sold by they give you cash. If it's sold by amazon they offer a refund but you can ask for a refund instead. It's a 5 minute phone call.

>Dont make this mistake of constantly upgrading youll just spend more money than you'd like and have a bunch of shitty headphones you dont use. Just wait.
Right. I'm done buying shit. I spent hundreds of dollars on garbage headphoens so far and I won't buy another pair if it's not hd600. I guess I'll keep saving.

I-Im gonna do it!

Theres really an infographic? They finally got around to adding something besides "buy xiaomi"?

look for v2. it's excellent.

Asking in new thread.

Are there any open back headphone alternatives around the same price as the m40x?

I just got these for around $100 but i'm sending them back.

Sennheiser HD 558's are on sale at Best Buy for $70 at the moment

SHP9500S, HD 558, OB-1; take a look at each one, they're all around the same price.

Dear /hpg/ I humbly request your help. I know next to nothing about headphones but am in dire need for a pair with the following features:
Noise cancellation (or great isolation);
Detachable wiring;
Wireless (if at all possible over bluetooth);

I don't have a budget.
Thanks for any help.

How are the HD 598se relative to the HD 558? I'm looking at those instead.

I used these m40x but I realized there wasnt really a point for me to get closed headphones. I can probably just get some earbuds to use when i'm away from home if I don't want to disturb anyone, but at night in my place it's very quiet and there's no reason for me to be sacrificing the sound stage by not going open.

I'm also not going to be carrying $100+ headphones to my university or anywhere else for that matter.

Better build quality, comfier, more detailed, more neutral. The only thing the HD 558s have going for it is more bass.

in addition to what said, you can remove a piece of foam in the 558 cups to sound like 598's

What are the go- to brands for cheap earbuds?

I'd go for HD 4.40 BT Wireless. Fits all your categories. It doesn't have active noise cancellation but it isolates well because it's built well. Unless you're worried about construction noise, it will do you well.

So I suppose if I wanted to truly stick around the same price range I should go 558's then?

I wanted a good pair of sub $150 headphones to learn audio before jumping into the $300+ price range. I wanted a single pair to last me until then.

Somewhat? Removing the foam just frees the HD 558s from any bloated bass possibly drowning anything out. Bass is kind of meh in these headphones.

Thanks, I'll check them out and likely buy some tomorrow. Any alternatives in case this doesn't work out?

Good noise cancellation is about the most important thing here (I work a lot at a noisy campus).

>"better" cables
You know when you're inside the phone it's a shitty little cable connecting things to the drivers.

Don't waste a cent on cables, any properly insulated and wound cable will be fine.

I don't understand people going all autistic on cables and not pads. Pads play a much bigger role in how they shape a sound and its also easily measured.

Would leather pads change much of the sound of a DT880?

>leather
More bass, I would imagine.

>Good noise cancellation is about the most important thing here (I work a lot at a noisy campus).
you won't hear a thing when you have them on.

>Budget
Under $300 CAD; cheaper is always better.

>Location
Canada

>Source
Primary: PC->Xonar Essence STX->Yamaha A-S500 1/4"

>Type of headphone
Circumaural

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
HD280 Pro were comfortable enough.

>Sound signature
Neutral to bright

>Past headphones
HD280 Pro (good overall, but cable failed after several years)
HD555 (good overall, but not great)
Q460 (uncomfortable, too warm sound)
Q701 (amazing soundstage, very lifelike sound, numerous plastic bits failed over several years)

ALSO ESSENTIAL: detachable cable.

Primarily considering HD598C or ATH-M40X right now, interested if anyone has a suggestion between those two or perhaps some other recommendation.

If you dislike coloured and muddy sound, forget about the HD 598 Cs. They're nothing like their open-backed version.

>Pads play a much bigger role in how they shape a sound and its also easily measured.
Ironic isn't it?

>Good noise cancellation is about the most important thing here (I work a lot at a noisy campus).
Get the Bose QC25

Alright, Sup Forums, I'm not huge on audio, but I know the basics.

After 4 years of abuse, the Jack on my M50s broke. I replaced it like 3 times and I keep buying shitty jacks from different sources and they just break within minutes.

Following the OP guide:
>250-300USD budget
>Canadian
>I need full sized.
>Closed back is probably a must, I use the subway a lot, it makes noise, can't hear shit with the cheap earbuds I'm stuck with now.
>I'd like them to be comfortable, since I wear them for hours upon hours, but I can deal with them being a tad uncomfortable after a few hours.
>Honestly, I dunno. either neutral, or lightly v-shaped.
>I had M50s forever, nothing I hated about them except I worn the pads down so much they got uncomfortable as hell after like half an hour.

As another note, Durability is a must. I'll be wearing them fucking everywhere all the time, don't want the hinges to break on me after a month.

DT770

ATH-MSR7NC

seconding MSR7NC

Alright, so my computer is not recognizing my modmic, and it produces a hissing sound in my headphones whenever it is in the jack. What do you recommend i do? Its a modmic 4.0 omni directional with mute

Are they basically just the M50s but better?
I'm essentially looking for "One notch above" what I had.

Actually what about the HD 4.50 BTNC?

Excellent as well. $50 extra though. If you can afford the increase, go for it!

>>I had M50s forever, nothing I hated about them except I worn the pads down so much they got uncomfortable as hell after like half an hour.
Why don't you just buy new earpads for them for $20 on ebay or amazon? They'll feel like new and you won't have to adjust to new sounding cans.

Because I broke the cans.

how the hell can you stand the 668b without tanking the highs. I used felt dampers on mine and I still eq-d down the highs. btw, I think it was you in the last thread asking, if you like the 668b you will like akg. k701 or 702, 712 if you want more bass. if you wanna be cheap get the k7xx. k612 is great but needs an amp and you might find them really thin sounding.

>Better build quality
>Comfier fit
>Noise cancelling

They are a bit coloured compared to the M50s, though. Alternatively, you can take a look at PXC 480s.

They sound similar except tighter bass and more clarity; better treble. They are an improvement.

Can you plug the modmic on another jack that's not beside the headphone jack? Sometimes it's just interference from having both side by side.

i will try. The particular jack i have it in right now is on my tower, so i'll see if it can fit on my actual motherboard

Is the noise cancelling really worth it? Looks like a pretty huge price gap between the regular and NC versions.

I'll kill myself if I have to stand any more bs from the other codemonkeys, I don't care how much I need to spend.

LOL! Go get them then. They're a steal at $200. Bose sells shittier pairs for $350.

Nobody is selling them 0_o