Visual Basic

What is it good for? Absolutely nothing?

or Off topic threads belong in off topic boards

Pretty much. C++/JAVA for programs and python/powershell for scripts.

not off topic just because you don't like it
but you can off yourself

are you retarded?
Don't quote me on this, but to my understanding it was used in a lot of different industries until it was eventually phased out and replaced with C#. Again I might be getting this horribly confused with something else.

Only really seems to be used by the two extremes: complete novices, and oldfags who've used it since VB 3.0 and don't want to learn another language

I used to learn how to program GUIs a long time ago, made it easier to learn Swing and whatever .net uses.

VBScript, which is based on Visual Basic, is the only natively supported scripting interface in Windows that is worth a shit (contrary to batch) and isn't a complete dumpster fire (contrary to PowerShell).

Say it again.

people who needed to program and didn't know programming very well used it

I have had to support multiple machine vendors work where the OPC server / HMI was VB5/6

15 years later they're still running

It

It's useful for getting into c#

I learned visual basic so I could create a GUI for hacking an ip address

I used it to make a bitchin sunset.

Just like PHP allowed non programmers to create awful and horribly insecure websites and MSA allowed non programmers to create a database with a GUI (I have no adjectives bad enough to describe those applications),
Visual Basic allowed non programmers to create applications.

Pray to the gods that you'll never have to maintain either of these.

>hurr durr vb is shit
>t. Smug C# Pajeet

VB.NET = C# and C# = VB.NET. Same runtime. Same framework. Same data types. Same design patterns. Same memory management. The only fucking difference is the syntax.

In other words: whether or not you use parentheses when writing a loop or DIM when declaring a variable.

Using C# does not make you a "C programmer." If your only exposure to C is the C styled syntax in C#, then you would get eaten alive on any C or C++ project. You wouldn't have the first fucking clue what you were doing.

Same for smug Java Sanjays.

So stop patting yourself on the back and telling yourself how superior you are to those "hurr durr vb guys." Because you're not.

>what about VB6?

VB6 was shit. But it was easy to use shit so there are still custom VB6 apps all over the world.

>"Pray to the gods that you'll never have to maintain either of these."
>implying Java or C# code bases are any better

Most programmers shouldn't be programming.

They are better. Still awful, but those other applications are unholy.

>They are better.
Not necessarily. I've seen some shit C# and Java in my life. There are plenty of "non-programmers" using those languages.

It's jolly good for tracking the killer's IP address in real time.

it's used frequently my hack forums users to create custom guis that call web booters