Redpill me on e-readers

redpill me on e-readers.

are they the future or just a shitty version of an iPad?

They've been made obsolete by phones with AMOLED displays. You get tons of battery life, no eye strain, and good readability in sunlight if you use a black background and any color font with your book.

They are a device with one use, reading books.

Nothing else comes close to how awesome they are at it. Months long battery life, readable in sunlight, and no eye strain. Plus it doesn't keep you awake at night like a lit screen does.

If you don't read enough, it isn't worth it though.

Overpriced technology.

I own one and appreciate the fact that it keeps my reading material entirely separate from all the other screens in my house. If that distinction appeals to you it's worth getting one, otherwise don't bother.

They're fine if you get them cheap

they're cheaper than some books user

what are some good readers for manga/comics?

is it a bad idea to read a lot on normal tablets? i have a nexus 7(2012) and i do most of my reading on that, am i going to regret it?

Here comes the tripfag derailing the thread with Samshit marketing material once again

Maybe I'm just a sissy but I can't read for longer than 30 minutes on an LCD of any kind (neither my tablet nor my computer) without my eyes watering and half falling asleep

I have no ereader, I mostly read just "regular" books, but I've seen them in the bookstore and at least it looks better (more like a regular book) but I need to try it out one day.

I'm thinking of buying one but I can't decide what brand it'll be.

Kobo or Kindle?

E-readers are great, can't compare regular tablets with them

Nope, AMOLED displays are used in phones other than samshit ones.

I use one, bought it for £100 (on sale IIRC) and torrented around £200 worth of books and manga so far

>reading anything on a black background
>reading entire books in this way
You can't be this retarded unironically.

Kindle is a fucking great invention!

Leave the thread we're not talking about phones

Bought one for myself about two years ago, one of the best things I've ever spent money on desu. I've always enjoyed reading, but books are expensive and I live in a small city in northern Europe, so the local library's catalog isn't the best and lacks especially in books written in English. The e-ink screen is awesome and the battery lasts atleast a month even on heavy use. I got a Kobo, can't remember the exact model right now.

>>reading anything on a black background
>>reading entire books in this way
>You can't be this retarded unironically.
Whatever you say grandpa, I've been reading books like this ever since I got a phone with an AMOLED display and it's all good. No need to spend $100 on some meme device especially if you have a job like me.

Leave

You read books on a phone? Jesus christ

I'm not going anywhere mr kindle shill. I read all my books on my phone and think it's massively retarded to buy these clunky e-readers when you can just use your fucking phone. Do you also own an alarm clock and a paper calendar gramps?

>are they the future or just a shitty version of an iPad?

Neither. They're a decent alternative to owning a lot of physical books. An iPad/Tablet can be distracting (why don't you read books on your PC, for example? Probably because there's 1001 other things you can do on it), is hard to read outdoors, and has a pretty crappy battery life.

An e-Reader on the other hand is a lot like having a book, just thinner and lighter. They're as easy to read as paper books (even easier for ones with a backlight built-in), can store more or less more books than you'd ever care to read, have excellent battery life, and are free of distractions since you only really use them for one thing.

If you're an avid reader, go for it. If you just find them neat, go for it anyway, but don't expect to ever use it. You will read half a book or so and then it will gather dust. It won't inspire you to read more or anything magical like that.

Kindle are the ultimate comfy but also giving yourself to the botnet

you need to decide yourself

Fuck. Is it really that bad though ? Can't you just download epubs to your computer and send to your kindle? I don't see any need to use wifi in an e-reader

Yeah, not all of us have dogshit eyesight like you gramps.

You'll have soon

POLITE HIJACK.
Are there any non-botnet, non-bloated eink shits that can open epub/mobi?

they make book burning too easy

I have a non-paperwhite Kindle and the contrast is a bit shit in anything except direct sunlight. Since I live in the UK, this reduces its usefulness quite a lot. Lighting conditions which would be fine for dead tree books are completely insufficient for the grey background of the Kindle.

Supposedly the Paperwhites are a lot better so if you want an eink device I suggest not cheaping out like I did. Right now I do most of my reading indoors on my iPad, which is less efficient in terms of battery life but I haven't had any issues with eye strain. Quite the opposite, the high contrast is more pleasant to the eyes than the Kindle.

When viewing conditions are right, the Kindle display is perfectly fine and it's pleasant having a dedicated reading device.

I go to the public library and borrow the books I want from that. No need to buy literally anything, and I still have the best reading experience possible; moreover I use a great service that I already pay with taxes.

You're a faggot son, and you should be epurated from this site like any other fucking tripfag.

>I go to the public library and borrow the books I want from that.

I do the same from my library's website.

Readable on my device and I don't even have to leave the house.

amazons ones are non botnet and non bloated IMO, just keep it in airplane mode when you don't need internet

Top end kindle maybe? e-readers aren't known for their amazing high resolutions.

any portable waterproof book case/lectern you recommend ?

It's fine. Disable internet (a useless battery drain 99.9% of the time anyway), install calibre on your pc, and you're good to go botnet free.

Any plastic bag

My library does this too but it's fucking hilarious that they limit the number of books that can be borrowed and ebooks can quite literally be "out of stock"

Well the "comfy" part of the kindle is that you can get basically any book you want with the click of a button from Amazon.

You don't have to worry how you store them since you can redownload them any time.

If you're not leveraging that part of the comfiness I think you're better off with a Kobo or a Tolino

Theoretically, if somebody wanted to read ebooks on a device with the e-ink style (idk if thats actually what it is, I just mean the non LCD), without paying for such ebooks, is there any good source with a decent library of titles?

Don't be a dick

A real book is better

New book smell is an acquired high

same place you get movies you fucking idiot

>My library does this too but it's fucking hilarious that they limit the number of books that can be borrowed and ebooks can quite literally be "out of stock"
Retarded book publishers force them to do that.

Easier just to pirate.

Is there any way to avoid the Kindle for the German market if you primarily read English books?

Every website I look really only has very, very, very common books (like Harry Potter) in English. I'm not some kind of hipster but I can't even find shit like Dan Brown in English other than on Amazon.

also google dorks search for pdf

The pirate bay, library genesis, or even just project gutenburg has tons of shit, or probably any other torrent site

Is there a cheap eReader that isn't part of the Amazon botnet and works well with epubs and PDFs?

seconding this question

>cheap eReader
>works well with PDFs
no

what ever happened to transflective displays?

Cybook readers are pretty good. The advantages of having both touchscreen and physical controls is something that Amazon could never grasp even if their life depended on it.

>no eye strain
Pure lies.

Nope, I've gone on reading sprees for more than 4 hours reading on my J7 and have experienced no eyestrain whatsoever. I can't say the same for my touchgate 6 plus I used to own. IPS displays are cancer. Not only do they look like shit but reading on them for more than an hour at night causes significant eye strain.

Lay off the red pills.
They cause retardation.

>watching a movie on a phone
it would be better to spend that money on a gun to kill yourself

Have a kobo. Download epub, plug into PC, send it to the kobo, enjoy.

I think you need a tablet for that. You end up needing some color, and e-ink is black and white

What's stopping me from getting an eink display and using it as an auxiliary display for my computer?

your poorness

They're expensive but it's like reading on actual paper. No eye strain, you can read in direct sunlight and you get weeks of battery life.

Yes, thats what I do. Use the calibre program to manage books. It's also possible to remove ads if you bought the cheaper kindle with ads just by asking Amazon support, they do it for free.

It's great, along with the new disc smell from games and albums.

You should have a reading space with proper lighting no matter what you use.

I would consider a front light essential if you're going to buy a new reader though.

Tablet with AMOLED.

another day another tripfaggot filtered

feels good

Reading ebooks on a phone is ok if you have a good app and spend time setting it up to your liking. The better apps have a lot of customization options to make it easier to read books with them. But I switched from reading on a phone to a kindle voyage about 6 months ago and I can say without a doubt the ereader is far, far better. I'd never try to read a book on my phone again. Don't listen to the tripfag saying phones are just as good, he is either deluded or he's never used an ereader.

thanks

The critical flaw with e-readers is that no one reads anymore.

>reading a book over playing Shit Slinger 7+
>anyone

>Is there a cheap eReader that isn't part of the Amazon botnet and works well with epubs
Any kobo

> and PDFs?
Not really; you'll have to modify the PDFs beforehand so they just fit your screen. Navigating PDFs on an e-reader is a huge pain.

>no one reads anymore.

Except for hipster who only buy physical copies because they want the 'full experience'

The critical flaw is that it's expensive as fuck for what it does. When you can get a chink tablet with far more functionalities for

e-Ink is worth every penny.
In fact, an absolute bargain.

Only piece of tech bought in the last 10 years I have zero regrets about.

USP is for the more mature individual tbqf. You might not get eyestrain right now with a tablet but just wait.

Its cheap as fuck for the quality of functionality it provides.
You're looking at this completely the wrong way.
Even a very expensive tablet is no substitute.

Kobo works fine for me

>pdfs
No. I've never run across an ereader that was good with pdfs
Kobos are great for epubs though

Stop stealing my fucking name you faggot that's not even the right tripcode, this is some Samsung shill trying to advertise off my name wtf?

The kindle paperwhite is barely over$100 what the fuck are you even talking about.

The difference is it will last more than 5 hours and not ruin your eyes by flashing blue light into them 60 times per seconds

fuck you both it was me all along

Reading books on them is super comfy. I love mine. But keep in mind that the e-reader is designed for practically only reading books/newspapers where a tablet is a do it all device: play games/listen to music/send emails/watch movies/surf the web (you can surf the web on a e-reader but it's not that good).

If you read a lot then I recommend you a e-reader, you will enjoy it.

Go make another thread about how big my cock is, cuck.

if you're not particular about owning "real" books, then you should definitely consider one
you get the benefit of natural, paper-looking images (reflective, matte, and flicker-free), with the convenience of a computer (can carry a large library in the one device, and customise aspects such as font size and face)

comparing an ereader with an ipad or other tablet pc is like comparing books with television
a television is great for video, pictures, and interactive media such as video games, if you're indoors. you can read texts on a television, but it's not very comfortable

eink has it's limits, it's rather useless for video and interactive media, but it excels at displaying text that can be comfortably read, even outside

Amazon released Kindle Manga Edition at Japan.
Basically 32 gb Kindle Paperwhite.

>You should have a reading space with proper lighting no matter what you use.
This is true, I suppose, but I have no problem when reading deadtree in dim environments. Kindles are advertised with lines like
>Touchscreen display that reads like real paper
but it really, really doesn't. It's dark grey, not white. I completely failed to take a photo that really displays the difference, but it's far harder to read in anything less than excellent lighting.

This is not my experience with a Kobo Glo HD

It's not like paper, it's more like reading text printed on tupperware, but that doesn't make it harder to read than paper.

They aren't the future; they're the present state of the art for reading.

They last for literally weeks on a charge, with a battery of much smaller capacity. Do they do web-browsing, streaming music, and muh-games? Not at all, or so poorly that it might as well be not at all. But they do text better than anything but ink on paper.

An iPad doesn't last you a few weeks of constant reading without having to charge,
an e-reader does.

Also, Apple shit has horrible palm-rejection software for writing, the only thing i'd use a pure tablet for in absence of an e-reader capable of the same that doesn't cost $800 (fuck you Sony).

They are a way to access bazillions of books and read them in a near-book like experience with tons of extra features, all without the negatives of a traditional electronic screen (glare, eyestrain, melatonin suppression, etc).

They are the future of books, and once they make a color screen with e-ink technology, maybe the future of professionals who have to read a lot for work.

textbooks on thinkpad.

literature on kobo.

haters gonna hate.

Anything that loads Tachiyomi

The thing in the one laptop per child thingy?
Think it sacrificed both colour and resolution to be sunlight resolution, so no-one considered it for consumer electronics.

If you're talking about the gameboy, how many shades of grey did it have?

Hats might exist for the raspberry pi.

Why do we hurt each other?

After following goodereader.com for a bit,
I don't think we'll been seeing dramatic improvements for a long while.
Not even colour. Looks like an economics things.
People have moved back to tablets and the like.