Convince me to use arch over manjaro and vice-versa. I'm about to ascend to linux because I have had enough of winblows...

convince me to use arch over manjaro and vice-versa. I'm about to ascend to linux because I have had enough of winblows. not a meme thread just generally curious what are pros and cons. yes I've read their wiki and there's not much difference.

please no gentoo.

inb4 arch is shit

Other urls found in this thread:

ck-hack.blogspot.com/2011/02/becoming-ubu-nut-ck-packages-for-ubuntu.html
tuxradar.com/content/interview-linus-torvalds-linux-format-163
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try both

if you use ur pc for work, ubuntu
if you don't, doesn't matter

uh idk, majaro is a bloat installer
arch you have to learn stuff

Arch

Install Mint and then install Arch or Gentoo into VM to git gud. Also, Gentoo's USE flags make life without systemd pretty easy, if you're into that brand of autism.

I'm a programmer.
I don't see why ubuntu would be better, I don't like forced apps up my throat. and gnome in general

I'm installing arch and manjaro in virtualbox to try. I'm curious whether there are some generl diffs

don't see the problem with systemd except for it being a bloated one for all solution. seems like many distros use it, so what's the prob?

>I'm a programmer.
You should at least consider Gentoo in the long run. You might not benefit at all or quite a bit, depending on what sort of stuff you do.

Some people just don't trust the devs that much, because of some dubious decisions they made in the past.

probably in the long run. maybe one day. still need to get my feet wet using linux. it'd be a little overkill to start with it.

god damn it can't install arch in virtualbox. had it installed a few months ago, forgot password, reinstalled now, but it doesn't boot. nothing happens. I did things according to the guide

May have to regenerate the grub config for whatever reason. Sometimes still has incorrect list if reinstalling

arch is a meme

I don't get the point of Manjaro, at least Antergos has access to the native Arch packages.

>Learn stuff
>Copy and paste from the wiki

That's pretty much half of what learning is, what do you think the point of taking notes is for?

Manjaro overlays arch repo, they have their kernel and tools. That's about it, it's delayed arch with an installer

Manjaro will be setup with sane, reasonable defaults and settings. Arch is bare xfce with no GUI package manager, so have fun looking for random programs you might enjoy.

/thread, this is the objective right answer

you can just do a mininal ubuntu install and you've got a light, stable, easy to use and functional distro, with lots of support and good hardware compatibility.

There are specific Manjaro packages setup for Manjaro. To claim that they are the same is disingenuous at best. Hell, arch uses Manjaro's open RC packages.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Derivatives are generally worse. Stick with pure Arch. If you want an easier installer, try Arch Anywhere.

All you learn is how to install Arch. So when it, or you, fuck it up, all you know what to do is re-install it. Sounds great.

Arch is pretty good. I also suggest trying NixOS. It is pretty unique and modern. You can put most settings such as users and installed packages in a single file, configuration.nix, and then basically make any NixOS machine have your setup by just copying it over. It's pretty nice.

No... You learn about vim or nano, a CLI partition manager like fdisk, and several other programs that can come in handy post-install. The same is true of the Gentoo install.

Stuff like manually partioning and formatting, editing your fstab, and setting up a bootloader can be applied to other distros as well though. The problem with GUI installers is that they can't possibly cover every use case.

I just moved to Manjaro 2 weeks ago after using Arch for about 2 years. It's the same thing essentially except Manjaro uses Arch users as beta testers which is nice and it comes with pamac (gui pacman) ready to go which is really cool and as someone familiar with pacman I still find a lot of what pamac does useful. Pamac is a really awesome program that even blows programs like ubuntu software center out of the water making Manjaro a great distro for new anons and advanced users alike. You'd have to check out pamac to realize/understand how cool it is.

I still have a pure minimal Arch VM for the hell of it.

Partitions are super simple, no reason to have to manually configure them to know what or where your / or /home is. No reason to not know simple nano use, absolutely every distribution requires some config changes at some point.
GUI installers still have manual partitioning that you do yourself, so that's not super helpful either.

So none of these (((useful))) chores will help you with a broken system. It's dubious that a new comer will remember even a quarter of the commands after its over.

Agreed. Manjaro is setup for casuals and advanced users alike. Ubuntu and xubuntu cater to absolute retards only, and consequently strip much of what's good about Linux out.

Forgot to add Vertex maia is a dope ass gtk theme

>Look mom I posted it again!

I tried going to chroot, downloading grub, installing and generating config. now I get to grub shell. can't find a solution now.

I guess Con Kolivas, the dude behind the -ck patchset is a retard
ck-hack.blogspot.com/2011/02/becoming-ubu-nut-ck-packages-for-ubuntu.html
And you might as well call Torvalds a retard too since he's a filthy Fedora user
tuxradar.com/content/interview-linus-torvalds-linux-format-163
:^)

Some faggot that bases his opinion of Linux off of KDE? From 2011? Trash.
I kinda like Fedora.

Linus only cares about the kernel

Use Microsoft BOB, bob.

>Arch is bare xfce with no GUI package manager, so have fun looking for random programs you might enjoy.
This is wrong, you can install whatever DE and GUI package manager you want in arch, i use kde and pacman + yaourt, but octopi is in AUR if you want it.

Use fedora. Literally the best OS I've tried. KDE Neon is also comfy.

It's not wrong when some newfriend or Ubuntu user lands in an Arch install.
Care how to explain how to install Pamac?

>It's not wrong when some newfriend or Ubuntu user lands in an Arch install.
How is it Arch's fault when they can't read the Post-install page or general recommendations page on the wiki? There are links to them literally right after the installation guide. If they've already used Ubuntu before they should have a general idea what programs they want to install anyway. Also you can just download the entire KDE or GNOME package and they will install everything you need.

Do you have a life? If yes, get Manjaro. If no, get Arch

yaourt -S pamac

:^)

Can you think for yourself? If yes get whatever the fuck you want, if no get whatever makes you feel most accepted by your peers.

This

>Seems we forgot to update our SSL certificate in time. This means our wiki and forum is not reachable for now. We will work on the matter as soon as possible. In time, please use followed workaround:

>open a terminal
>enter followed line: sudo date -s 2015-04-06 +09

>This will set back your system time to Mo 6. Apr 00:00:03 CEST 2015.

>kind regards Philip Müller, Manjaro >Development Team

My only experience with Manjaro was installing it, then getting a kernel panic on boot. I then installed Antergos instead.