Android O-MG Released

Android O-MG (Android O Developer Preview)
android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/03/first-preview-of-android-o.html

What's new in O?
>Background limits: Improved battery life and speed
>Notification channels - TL;DR notifications can be grouped into categories
>Autofill APIs - Native support for password manager apps
>PIP for handsets and new windowing features
>Font resources in XML
>Adaptive icons
>Wide-gamut color for apps
>Connectivity - Neighbor Awareness Networking, devices can communicate without the need for a wireless cacess point
>Keyboard navigation
>AAudio API for Pro Audio
>WebView enhancements
>Java 8 Language APIs and runtime optimizations
>Partner platform contributions

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.android.com/preview/features/wifi-aware.html
youtube.com/watch?v=soeiJsnSzu0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what food does o stand for?

Oreos?

is it oreo?

observation

>still JAVA trash

I was telling myself that I'd be happy with my phone's software (Android N) and I wouldn't really care much about any further versions. This announcement basically solidified that precognition. I'm already perfectly content with N. None of these features really stick out to me.
>>Background limits: Improved battery life and speed
my battery life is already fine
>>Notification channels - TL;DR notifications can be grouped into categories
that's just integrating a feature into the system that most apps already had their own system for. it'll be nice, but I really don't care much.
>>Autofill APIs - Native support for password manager apps
THIS is the only feature I'm actually looking forward to. That'll be quite nice.
>>PIP for handsets and new windowing features
splitscreen works fine for this. this'll probably only be useful on tablets.
>>Font resources in XML
I don't quite understand what this mean...
>>Adaptive icons
it'll be interesting to see how this ends up. will the user be able to choose if they want a circular or normal icon, or will the device choose for them? how "adaptive" are we talking here?
>>Wide-gamut color for apps
whatever
>>Connectivity - Neighbor Awareness Networking, devices can communicate without the need for a wireless cacess point
I don't know enough about this to comment.
>>Keyboard navigation
once again, useful for tablets.
>>AAudio API for Pro Audio
I'm not a musician.
>>WebView enhancements
okay
>>Java 8 Language APIs and runtime optimizations
okay
>>Partner platform contributions
okay

So, yeah, Android seems to be have gotten as good as it's gonna get for phones. most of these features are either small or tablet/Chromebook focused.

This update is obviously focusing on developers, and not for end users.

true

>Connectivity - Neighbor Awareness Networking, devices can communicate without the need for a wireless cacess point
So how long before somebody creates a botnet that abuses this feature?

Will the Moto G5 Plus get this?

Did you purchase it from your carrier?

Planning on getting it unlocked from Amazon, actually.

it will almost definitely get this.
If, on the off chance it doesn't, there will probably be custom roms available. I'd recommend waiting a few months before buying any phone just to make sure it has an active dev community.

>Oreo
When they missed the perfect opportunity of Android Nutella? It's gonna be Android Oatmeal most likely

Nutella is trademarked. It's possible that they got a deal with Nabisco to use the Oreo name.

Hmm I seem to recall hearing this line before

What's wrong with that?

>tfw still on marshmallow

GOOGLE WON

My Galaxy s7 just got Nougat about a month ago. Fuck everything.

Oh user, all those cool API changes that devs ignore again because they only make apps for Gingerbread or better.

>Wide-gamut color for apps
>whatever

that's pretty fucking big

it´s called Feem.
A cool app for transfer huge files without need access point, everybody in my college use.

>Thoughts?
Sounds gay.

Wont really matter because Android O will have like 1% market share.

normies use shitty apps that send tracking data to facebook servers and others and that eats their battery. android with only good software installed works fine.

>tfw still on 4.1

Still waiting for Xposed on Nougat.

developer.android.com/preview/features/wifi-aware.html

Android O will have wireless mesh capabilites it seems.

except it wont, it's just a marketing blogpost about feature no. 99999999999 that nobody will ever use and disable when setting up a phone because it drains the tiny analdroids battery in 30 minutes

u know its true

I still use a phone on Android 2.3.3

Did they fix the bug in nougat that courses the cpu to spin and force you to reboot the phone?

sadly no

experienced the same issue

Yeah, and random reboots

Post screenshot

It could become popular once apps make use of it.

Fun fact. You can stop background processes from raping your phone by disabling them from the developers options. Chink ROMs already do this.

Oh look, they're finally realizing apple was right about background work all along.

Only did they implement their restrictions way too late. Every Android app already learned to hog the user's battery from the background.

Which settings?

PROBABLY THE ONE WITH """""""""BACKGROUND...""""""""""" IN THE SETTINGS NAME PHAMALAM

Which kernel version does it use?

It's gunna be Oatmeal Cookie.

Did they really need to switch to Android O for this? I understand it's just Android 8, but the unique names they give it make it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

Then again, I'm still waiting for Android 7 on my Samsung Galaxy S7...

Saw this on Reddit already, which is where Sup Forums gets its content form anyways (hypocrites), and don't have much to add. It's neat that they're trying to crack down on developers, though.

I thought it was Orange due to the colors they're using, but maybe that's just a teaser.

>It's neat that they're trying to crack down on developers, though.
You phrased this as if the developers did something bad

I don't know about "bad", but maybe overstepping their boundaries is a better word for it.

Such as the thing they're doing with location and limiting background use. Developers seemed to have taken the lazy approach and just hoped for the best. This will require them to actually figure things out.

In fact, for some applications, they will be required to completely redesign the system. Such as Facebook, hopefully. Or maybe even Snapchat.

Snapchat is goddamn atrocious on Android, I hope they do something about it.

fag

>tripfag calling someone else a fag

>using normiechat
gas yourself.

O(n^n)

>improved battery life
Why do people keep falling for this meme?

It's not a meme. My Android marshmallow device lasts almost an entire day longer than my old kitkat device did.

Found the jew.

They keep bringing out new android versions when only like %5 have nougat.
This is just another planned obsolescence isn't it.

All Google can do is provide the OS. And breaking changes like the ones they are making here require bumping the major version.

It's not their fault the goyim will go to the cheapest merchant they can find, even if said merchant brings out a new product every week and immediately drops support for all goyim who only have the "old" version.

>release new os every year
>OEMs refuse to update old devices to force you to upgrade to their overpriced garbage

iOS is the only way to go and i fucking hate apple.

WHY THE FUCK CANT THERE BE A GODDAMN CLEAN VERSION OF ANDROID FOR EVERYONE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ON THEIR PHONES

WHYYYYYYYYYY

youtube.com/watch?v=soeiJsnSzu0

This prick breaks it down.

please explain desu

>keyboard navigation
>only useful for tablets
You forgot about phones with keyboard on them, user :^)
Android O is gonna make things great

>Another minor iteration that brings little to the table
>No news about Andromeda

Wake me up when Google or Apple start giving a shit about convergence instead of changing the notifications tray for the twelvth time

Organic lentill soup

Wasn't Kitkat trademarked as well?

WAKE me up inside
Can't wake up

Ironically, all updates "focused on developers" seem to improve the user experience much more than any gimmicky feature the "user focused" updates introduce, i.e. the switch to ART.

>more features
>more botnet
>less security

It's like Google doesn't care about closing their security issues.