TFW it's almost another month wasted without getting started on learning programming

>TFW it's almost another month wasted without getting started on learning programming

Other urls found in this thread:

browserquest.mozilla.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just do it

Yes user, do it

Indeed

I bet you use Linux XDddddd

Don't start anything without fundamental knowledge. Learn or revisit relevant maths and theoretical computer science. Then pick up a book on the Unix specification. Only then I would advise someone to start programming anything worthwhile.

try doing some work every day one chapter or one video whatever you are learning from
motivation can be hard to find but if you doing atleast something then you are going forward
so user start something step by step
and just maybe you stop being waste of space and air have a good day mate

>start learning python
>realize I probably hate programming
I don't know what to do.

Just do some hardcore HTML5 bro.

Program something interesting to you

>falling for the programming meme

lmao maybe if you started in the 90s

anyone getting into programming now is just setting himself up for a life of code monkeying for 40k a year

well it migth me the case you just hate way someone is teaching python so you can try other sources that may just give birth to greater passion so tell us from where are you learning?

considering that the learning curve to make anything worthwhile is quite steep to begin with, why would anyone deliberately further themselves from the point where what they create becomes worthwhile? in other words, why bother learning a fuckton of shit that may not ever be relevant or useful, instead of deciding what you want to make and then looking into articles that you know will help you?

>lmao maybe if you started in the 90s
>anyone getting into programming now is just setting himself up for a life of code monkeying for 40k a year

I want to do it as a hobby, not a career.

If only it were that simply.
I already have the basics down. I now learn on a per-need basis from keyword searches and Python documentation directly, as well as looking at reference code and pseudocode implementations (for algorithms, etc).

>learn basic python
>proud of making shit like fizzbuzz
>have nothing to make that i'm interested in and is at my skill level
such is life

It's a real struggle. Try and take a stab at something outside your skill level. Google around for how to do what you want and hopefully you learn along the way.

Try doing things outside your comfort zone

The effort you'll put in to learning how to figure things out will be invaluable.

learncpp.com
codeacademy.com

As soon as GUIs and other peoples libraries get involved, shit gets complicated and it stops feeling like "hey I actually understand this!" and more like "ok I gotta copypaste this for this to work"

Do it enough times and you'll learn

It goes from Copy & pasting -> "Hey I noticed why this works the way it does this time around..." -> many hours later -> "I understand why all of this works."

>other peoples libraries
You're never really going to understand how other libraries work. As long as you understand the functions they contain that's all you really need. If you want to look at the library's source code to learn more about programming then go ahead, but using other people's libraries is really just copy and pasting.

The idea is to use libraries to save time on your project. Not the best to use when trying to learn how stuff works. It always sucks when you look for "how to sort a list" and you get shit like "use list.sort()". No I actually want to learn how to sort a list myself...

Do you know what is stopping you, OP?

No, what?

That is a meme but you can do some interesting nonprogramming with html5 these days.

Can't you make fully fledged vidyagames nowadays with HTML canvases (and Javascript?)

You can, I'm just memeing

Yes
browserquest.mozilla.org/

that's how it works for every beginner you tool. did you think you'd make 100k/year with no experience? lmfao.

I found out that I didn't like it, that's oddly what made me finally do it. I was too busy trying to start something that I thought I like it. Then I forgot about making everything perfect and just did it.

Today I'm working on a Lovecraftian ASCII game similar to Candybox 2 just for fun, which I ain't getting yet.

I'm unemployed in S. America with no perspective or degree, alone, depressed and penniless, but damn son, I finally learnt it.

I have to go now, my weekly 1GB plan is about to go burst.

Sorry for the blog, me lads.

we're all gonna make it, bro

>I'll start learning how to program soon!
>Dabbled in Ruby for a few hours back at the start of 2009 for a single day
>Nothing after that
>Made a small, simple game in VB in my sixth form college class back in 2012
>Nothing after that
>Feel like I should learn how to do it but never have the motivation to do so and never had any solid project goals in mind until very recently
>Not even sure in my own abilities as my education was incredibly inconsistent and I know how tightly linked programming and mathematics are
>"Maybe I'll try going back to school as set deadlines and having someone to assess my work"
>Worry it'll be a waste of time and money as I just want to program as a hobby and not as a profession
>Heard nothing but positive things about CS and CE seems like something that is very relevant to my interests so maybe it wouldn't be too bad
>Kind of scared of possibly not being able to keep up in class
Shit kinda sucks. Thanks for reading my blog, check in next week for more high quality content.

Once you get started, it's fun.

The next time you have nothing to do, just open up your programming book and do some exercises.

But I'm a game dev, I swear!

>visual novel
>game
Try telling Sup Forums that.

>tfw watching youtube and playing games since forever to the point it's making you feel a sort of nausea all the time
>tfw you know getting back into learning and being productive will make you feel better but you can't
>tfw that just makes you feel 2x shitty all the time and you just try to escape harder into games and youtube
NEET life ftw guys

Fear is the mind killer

>read K&R cover to cover
>do most of the exercises
>learn all the C syntax and general program structure
>learn some data-structures are make some little C libraries for implementing them
>don't actually make anything useful
>everything you make just feels like a little toy or experiment
I feel like literally everything has been done already, "daily programming challenges" and shit give me no satisfaction whatsoever.

Make a clone of some game.
Put it in the app store.

I should take my own advice.