/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
youtube.com/watch?v=Fj4-bQlisJ4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fpbp

tell me why Maki should be my waifu

So I'm thinking of getting a pair of headphones for work and gym
Thinking solo 3 but open to other suggestions
>Budget
Hard budget of 250
>Location
In us
>Source
Plugging into galaxy s7
>Type of headphone
On ear, and wireless
>Open or closed
Closed, work is load and open are to flashy at the gym
>Comfort level
High priority, I'll be wearing max 16hours 5 times a week.
>Sound signature
V-shaped
>Past headphones
5 fucking pairs of Samsung ear buds
1 pair of skullcandy fmj

Just watched Metal571's video on the DT770 80 ohm's, and he raves about the sound.
Is his representation of the sound accurate?

I was debating between the DT770's and 880's.
Based on what he said the 770's sound more appealing due to their less harsh treble.

Because umi's mine ;)

Good evening /hpg/.

Thighs/legs. Note: she's the waifu of tens of millions of other weebs, so you may want to reconsider.

>770
>less harsh treble
wot

770s have more harsh treble than the 880s.

Really? Aren't the DT770s more v-shaped than DT880s?

>purchase HD 800s
>cannot hear the difference from mid-fi

What the fuck do I do?

The DT770 are closed and v-shaped, where the DT880 are open and try to be neutral (yet fail, just go HD598 or HD600 for closer results depending on budget).

HD 598 are pretty awful compared to the 880s

Spend more. Do you have an external dac/amp?

Also, brain burn-in might help. It might take weeks.

>just go HD598 or HD600 for closer results depending on budget).
this.. that's the truth.

>HD 598 are pretty awful compared to the 880s
kek'd. I have them both. 598 sound a lot better to me. treble of 880s is way too hars.

Awful in that sense? I have read plenty of the opposite opinion.

>Comparing DT880s to HD 598s

>Sensitive ears

Who's problem is that, user?

There's a very distinct lack of detail in the 598s.

Headphones will never reproduce content that was mixed with loudspeakers(majority of music) as it was recorded to be. Hopefully some DSP fills in what headphones omit from the listening.

You can talk about frequency response accuracy on a target: the relative loudness of frequencies. If you want to keep the sound as close to the original as possible, bass extension is essential. Headphones other than earbuds don't usually suffer from lack of bass extension but roll off in bass is common given leak. Open back headphones leak by design, closed backs generally don't. Pressure leaking out gradually lowers the amplitude the lower you go in the audio band. Some planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones get around this by creating a semi air tight space around your ear, pads, baffle and the diaphragm even if the ear cup is not sealed from the back.

And as I said, clarity is vague. It doesn't refer into anything particular in the response. I would consider a neutral response to be very clear and thus have great clarity but someone else might disagree as they might consider clarity being something else.

You should read the studies and realize how effective equalization is given the headphone is without major issues. HD 518 was picked due to its linear and stable response. It was also easily driven by the devices used to drive them(iPads in many tests). These should be in the wiki. The listener preference stuff can be found online elsewhere too. Sean Olive's blog maybe.

Each headphone was recorded on a coupler first and that was used to simulate different headphones through a single pair.

Midbassy sound of many Sennheiser open back models. It gives them warmth, sometimes excessively so.

DT770s have more boosted lower bass. That balances it out. Their V-shape is more pronounced.

>mid-fi
Jargon. What was it?

Can't really think of a headphone that sounds like HD 800.

Which of those cans do you still keep around? Which of them is your favorite?

I'm not looking for exactly neutral.

I listen to a lot of metal, the highs and bass in those mixes are generally not as prevalent due to mid heavy guitar focus.
So I figured a V-shape would bring out the best of the mixes.

The boosted sub bass of the DT770 is pretty appealing as that region often seems to suffer in metal.

Lack of detail from the HD 598s.

NFB-11 and Darkvoice 336SE

Under 400$ price range

HD 800 is V-shaped. Dominated by the bright 6-8 KHz treble and the preceding notch in upper midrange. Broad high bass boost. It isn't a neutral headphone.

And what do you figure that detail to be exactly?

Price has nothing to do with how something sounds like. Fidelity isn't a term to use here.

>Which of those cans do you still keep around?
All of them.

>Which of them is your favorite?
No favorite, per se, each one sounds rather different than the other, and I usually choose which headphone to use based on what I'm listening to/my current mood, if I'm on-the-go, or whatever else I'm doing.

>Recommending Sennheisers for metal
>Sennheisers having any detail at all

Try looking at DT 880s first. DT 770s might be a bit too harsh for some people.

Went to a local headfi audiofool meetup yesterday. I think I was the youngest there which was weird. But, I managed to get some listening time on some great phones and amps and I talked to few guys who game me some advice. I also got to listen to Orpheus!!! The guy who organized the meet has them. Holy shit, they are nice. I only got to listen to one song because everyone wanted to listen and friends of the guy were hogging them and listening to whole albums.

I finally got the chance to listen to HD600 and LCD-2. I mention these because I currently have M50x and wanted to upgrade and these were my top choices because I can afford HD600 new and LCD-2 used. I went back and forth between them a number of times and compared them on three diff amps. The winner? HD600. Not only did it felt better on the head but it also sounded better to me. One of the guys there agreed with me, one other guy thought the opposite. YMMV.

Anyway, time to make my purchase. Thanks /hpg/!

>Bass bleeding into the mids and a lack of treble.
HD 600 has treble, in comparison HE-400 has a big spike and then it rolls off, HD600 treble is well extended it's just that treble is not in your face.
And as far as midrange goes, from what I tried so far being HE-400 and HD800, HD600 has by far the most natural sounding midrange.

>anyways dude, if you're gonna talk neutral, at least talk the HD800 where it actually makes a bit more sense
Fuck no, you ever heard them live? Graph may make them seem to be neutral but they are not, with their over exaggerated soundstage, overall brightness and ringing in high frequencies. Graphs may be tempting since they are easy to compare and are easily quantifiable, but they never tell the whole story, esp when it comes to interpretation of treble since headphones are really sensitive to it.

Maki is a fruit

If you can't hear difference (from what) then maybe try HD700, they are a bit fucked up but they do sound very distinct and if you like them you might like them a lot.

I listen to a shitload metal and love it on my HD600.

Used to love it on my HD598 too, but I don't use these that much anymore.

I'm listening on my 13 year old HD 570's. I had to replace the earpads but otherwise they're in good condition, no cracks or loose hinges. Rate my discontinued headphones.

How are hd 569?
Can get them, m50x or m40x?
no other option since buying from a local store this is all they have
Leaning toward 569 cause they look comfortable and I got big head and ears.
How do they compare quality wise?

>And what do you figure that detail to be exactly?
Sennheisers aren't exactly known for having the most aggressive or detailed drivers. More laid back compared to some other headphones.

M40x/M50x have garbage comfort, so the 569 is a far better choice by default.

And the bass? The HD 598s barely have any.

Just the the HD 569s.

Fellow metalhead here, HD600 definitely plays nicely with the genre. Just enough low-end to satisfy and none of the harsh/edgy cymbals and guitar distortion that plague some headphones. If you're ever in the market for a closed set, check out Status Audio CB-1's. Stock pads aren't all that great but I swapped out for some angled HM5 pads and wow. Mids and highs aren't really anything special but the bass is some of the lowest and cleanest I've heard after ~10hrs break in or so. Kicks are insanely satisfying. I owned DT770/80ohm and I think the signatures are similar but there's something about the CB1 that is slightly more satisfying. I think it maybe digs a little deeper into the lows.

They're probably similar to the m40x but the m50x are just complete garbage.

Seem plenty to me. Besides idols and metal, I listen to electronica (old techno!) too. I'd say they have plenty of bass.

Any more than that and it'd get fatiguing. I don't need my skull shacked until my brain turns into juice. I'm barely a functional human being as I am.

>I listen to a lot of metal, the highs and bass in those mixes are generally not as prevalent due to mid heavy guitar focus.
>So I figured a V-shape would bring out the best of the mixes.

I suggest you try HD600 and DT880 to see what is best for you. Those were actually my last 2 choices when I was buying a new pair, but HD600 won after an hour of swapping on 3 songs. DT880 seemed more 'clear' but lost detail in some songs for me in comparison to HD600 and I also preferred vocals on HD600. You might also try out DT990 as people call them a more 'fun' DT880 with more bass and treble but I didn't try them myself.

As I now use HD600... they're definitely an improvement.

The bass is more or less the same in strength imho (some perceive HD600 as stronger), but I'd say it feels more accurate (less bloated). Not that the HD598 was outright bad, it's just HD600 is good beyond ridiculous. I seriously love these cans.

Yet I wouldn't say the improvement comes from the bass. I do attribute it to the less forward (bright) mids and the treble being less "trashy".

Best headphones ever. I use mine with the e10k, how about you?

Not the same person, but Schiit (uber) Stack.

Have you ever compared that to the e10k or o2? if so, what are the differences?

A few days ago, a draft headphone infographic was posted. Had some work that needed to be done to it.

Has any progress been made on it?

>Best headphones ever. I use mine with the e10k, how about you?
E10k as well! Works great for me.

I thought a lot of the tests here were pretty interesting.
head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

I'd also like to know.

>Head-fi
Shouldn't this be the last website to do this test?

I have the CB-1.
Bass definitely seems to have a slight boost, really nice though, but aren't they pretty neutral in the mids and treble unlike the DT770?

Loving the X2s.

Guys I want to put RGB lighting in my headphones, how do I go about doing this?

Please don't do this, user.

Who's gonna stop me, HUH?

Your own stupidity of breaking your phones

I suggest you decorate your balls with christmas lights instead.

Nobody. Do as you wish, user.

I did this last christmas dressed as pantsless santa and went outside but the police came and arrested me.

Because she's cute and sexy at the same time.

get on my level kohai

Nice EAR SPEAKERS senpai

Cute boy, dude

You know it user-chan!

Haven't, but I've tried the fulla2.

Sounds the same to me, but on (painfully loud) higher volume, the magni2 seems to do better (linearly more loud, no distortion). As for the DACs, indistinguishable.

What I hear about the e10k is that it does something odd to bass even if the bass boost switch is off. Other than that, I'd personally pay (and I did) a little more for the Fulla 2, just because of the line-in and outputs which for some unknown reason e10k lacks.

>What I hear about the e10k is that it does something odd to bass even if the bass boost switch is off
You got it backward. Even when you flick it on, the effect is so subtle that people complained that it doesn't do anything.

Thanks m8

Ear speakers probably sound decent, but they sure look uncomfortable AF.

At the time of purchasing my HE-560, a stax system was in consideration. I really wanted the SR-007a/mk2, but finding one used at a good price was next to impossible for me (at the time).

I was also interested in the SR-407 and SR-507, but the HE-560 entered my mind, read about how it was similar to its electrostatic-like brother, the HE-6, bought one to try, and was very pleased. It was also easier on the wallet since I didn't need to purchase a specialized amp/energizer.

Though, I plan on visiting Japan early next year, so maybe I'll finally come home with something from stax.

kek whats this from

Something to play on your HD600 or lesser cans:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fj4-bQlisJ4

Akiba Strip, episode 3

>Budget
Hard budget of 250AUD
>Location
AUS
>Source
Plugging into Nexus 5 or desktop
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
High, prepared to sacrifice sound quality for it
>Sound signature
V-shaped
>Past headphones
Apple earbuds

>What I hear about the e10k is that it does something odd to bass even if the bass boost switch is off.
This is wrong. It doesn't do much to the bass when you switch the boost on, but you can definitely hear the difference.

>Ear speakers probably sound decent, but they sure look uncomfortable AF.
They're comfy. I have velour pads.

My favorites have to be SR-009. They look great and sound amazing. Haven't found a good deal on them tho. Once I do, I'll buy them and sell my current ones.

moar

>HD600 or lesser cans
HD600s are pretty fucking great you pleb. I have them and use them outside with a portable amp + iPod classic.

I'm stumped between choose the ATH-R70X and the HD600.

On the one hand the HD600 looks like it has a much bigger area for ears.

I have an E10k, will I need to buy a new DAC? The E10k is rated to 150 ohms, the HD600 is 300 ohms and the ATH-R70X is 470 ohms

The HD 600s are more neutral, but the ATH-R70Xs aren't made out of chink shit. Either way, you're probably going to have to upgrade to a new DAC + AMP.

this triggers the sennshills

>HD600s are pretty fucking great you pleb. I have them and use them outside with a portable amp + iPod classic.

Outside? :O

I suspect user meant "any headphone that isn't HD600 is lesser".

>HD600
this. it's not even a close race.

>Outside
Kek.
Depends on what kind of sound you like, honestly.

Aren't HD600 made in Ireland?

Only the shittiest senns are chink.

>HD 600s are more neutral
Is it close though? Would I hear the difference over a long time of listening?

I was going to say, the ATH-R70X looks like it might be more comfortable and better constructed...

Too bad about the DAC/amp...

Sorry user, I meant chink shit quality plastic. Not actual chink shit.

what does /hpg/ think of AKG K92s for budget?

>chink quality
it's imitation chink quality, even worse

>Audio Technica
>Comfortable
kek

Their open-backed headphones are pretty comfy. Of course, headlets need not apply.

Tell me about a 'magical sound' of EARSPEKA, whats so special about them? How are the vocals, how they compare to dynamic headphones like HD600?

>chink plastic meme
I don't get it, my HD 589 served me well for +3 years and HD600 that I have soon for a half year have no problems with band.

Is JBL t450 worth it?

>HD 598
>+3 years
Sennheiser has fixed this issue awhile ago, but some HD 5X8s developed cracking after some time. The HD 5X5s had the same issue.

>HD 600
Chink shit headband snapping. Simple fix; just don't put any pressure on the headband, and if you do, pray to god they don't snap.

>making headbands which endure constant flexing out of chinkshit plastic
who the fuck thought this was a good idea
even literal chinkshit is better

What's the best I can get for 500 Argentinian pesos?

>buttmad senn hater
kek. go get a job and then you won't have to waste life on shitposting on a mongolian knitting board.

Good argument, user.

Daily reminder not to flex your HD 600s.

and see the v2 of the infographic

Daily reminder to take you autism pills.

We will see after a couple of years if all those meme pics were true. I don't know why would anyone try to bend a headband tho.

I'm only warning you, user. One shouldn't get mad from a warning.

They should last you that long. I would only worry about the early batches of HD 5X8s. They can crack over time at stress points. Your HD 600s should last you that long. Just don't bend the headband too far; thicc plastic doesn't exactly respond well to bending.