Gemini PDA Android & Linux

Does this device have Sup Forums's blessing?

indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

I'm considering throwing some money down on one and I'm wondering if anyone here has also looked into it.

Pro's:
- Aesthetically pleasing for a PDA
- Dual boot Android and Linux
- "World's smallest keyboard(mechanical)"
- Multi-touch screen

Con's:
- Indiegogo
- No working model yet
- ARM

Who cares what people here think, buy it if you want. I would wait until actual reviews.

>ARM
That's a pretty huge con.

>- No working model yet

Swipe keyboards make this mostly unnecessary.

I would rather have control sticks and buttons for video games like the GPD win honestly. And a screen that's big enough to program on. There are only so many things regular phones can't already do and this still isn't good for those things,

What's your use case?

I used to have a WinCE device in that kind of shape.
I pretty much only used it to take notes.

Linux and the keyboard are the two top sellers for me. I'd be using it primarily to SSH to various servers at wherever I am. If I liked the device enough I'd drop my cell phone since I rarely use it.

>dual boot Linux option
what about single booting linux though? Android is haram. The GPD pocket has more cred than this shit.

My dick.

I want one.

If it was by a reputable company that had already shipped stuff like GPD had, then fuck the prototype
If not then lol no never never ever.
>$299 USD
Literally as much as a GPD win, but drop the Intel processor, gaymer shit, and windows.
Why does it cost just as much?

I'm sure you'd have the freedom to do that. They'll release their Linux .iso after launch (possibly sailfish or ubuntu).

I don't really truly believe GPD will ship with ubuntu either, I'm pretty sure their binary b drivers will prevent EITHER of these products from shipping it.

Swipe keyboards might work when you're texting your BFF, but in CLI? Much rather have a mechanical keyboard for anything productive.

18:9 1440p screen.
Full working sauce before launch or fug off.
What drivers stop them? The kickstarter just lists "Deca Core" as the CPU, really they could use whatever the fuck they wanted at this point.

I don't know what drivers stop them, they don't have any hardware specs. At least the GPD Pocket is x86 which gives them options. It'll probly still catch fire if not underclocked but there's options.

The GPD can't completely replace a cellphone, right? It can't take calls, just takes a sim for a data plan? Even if the GPD did it's big and bulky compared to this.

I don't even know if it takes a sim, GPD is literally a UMPC. Gemini thing is a phone with a keyboard case. They're completely different designs. I'm also fairly certain that GPD has some mockups and a parts list ready to go. Gemini is more "We really promise we'll get you these insanely inflated specs"

Don't trust either of them really. Already bought in on GPD though.

>It'll probly still catch fire if not underclocked but there's options.
I have a GPD win, it gets in the 60's, but nothing too much higher. It does have a fan, remember. I doubt the pocket will be too much worse.

sounds good
>indiegogo
>no working model
lmao either it's a total fucking scam or the engineers are deluded. I hope it comes out, but if it does it will inevitably be garbage.

>arm
that probably ends up getting absorbed by some company or as a fucking android only phone which uses an already existing schematic unless one of the dev team is a gentoo guy who picked the right hardware to run ARM gentoo (or at least debian) and LTS androidshit on a newer kernel that isn't shit old if you want that monitor to work.
Even doubt their devteam have someone whos good at opsec and knows shit about proprietary basebands.
>devteam is made up of good video editors and actors

just invest in Pyra
>actual gnu/linux people
>full specs are feasible
>good track record
>stable package
>good battery and non-botnet

They expected to make this happen on $200k too. I certainly wouldn't even jump on GPD's nuts if it was their first product either.

Yeah, the pandora/pyra/whatever seems like a nice project to back if that's the thing you actually want. What I want is a linux phone/tablet with a keyboard.

Some have speculated the 200K target was used so they can turn to investors and show the potential market interest.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

so far it's the only real gnu/linux project featuring LTE and mobile baseband.

>look at this shiny sexy shit!
>salivating yet? oh, we haven't even bothered making a prototype yet (tm) but here's a video of the product so thin that our contractors are losing their minds to how thin the battery is gonna be.. also considering the fact that this glossy screen is expected to be maxed on brightness during outdoor usage (ft. kevin macleod upbeat 'hipster' music and highly saturated video filter recorded on a DLSR/EOS whatev)

not a problem if it's Debian