Little help

Hey Sup Forums I'm technologically retarded and need some help.

I have a prebuilt PC that I want to connect to this monitor that I have. But my PC only has two DVI connections, no HDMI or VGA. So I figured I would get a DVI to HDMI adapter cable to plug it in, but it doesn't work.

Why? The DVI plug goes to the PC and the HDMI goes to the screen. Screen model is Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD.

Its not the cable since I've tried 3 different types, two different monitors and also no signal. The DVI to VGA connection works since I've used it before but how come DVI to HDMI wont work?

When I build my PC dvi and VGA did not work for me, only HDMI. I fixed it by installing the drivers.

>DVI D port on monitor
Just get a DVI D cable, user.
I believe HDMI to DVI D only works with an HDMI port designed to accept the signal, and will say HDMI(DVI) next to it.

Untrue, HDMI is DVI.
I'm with you on the DVI-D, though. Why get a connector???

To be honest, that really should be working.

Something there is broken. You should start replacing components to find out what part of the system isn't functioning properly.
I recommend starting with the cable since that's the cheapest thing. Then test the computer out on a different screen and test the screen (unless you already know it's working)

I noticed my other monitor had a HDMI port that also said DVI, so I plugged my computer into that one and still says no signal.

Any ideas? Thanks for the reply btw

Sorry forgot pic.

dont know, I guess just having a HDMI looked cool. My autism.

I tested computer on two different screens and also tried 3 different cables from amazon from 3 different brands.

So its the PC then? My DVI to VGA cable works though

why not go just DVI to DVI

>I'm technologically retarded and need some help.

Welcome to Sup Forums, you'll fit right in. You don't work, right? That's one of the prerequisites.

Have you tried the other dvi port

do you have a pcie slot
a new graphics card is like 30 bucks (gt 610)

Your monitor looks like a TV. Depending on how old it is, it may not like some of the resolutions your PC is sending out.

Also assuming you're on the correct input on your TV, but try others just to make sure that's not the problem.

At this point, you need a DVI cable to see if the issue isnt the DVI D port on your PC.

Start by updating intel vga/onboard graphics drivers or something.

Connect it the way you are trying now, turn on your samsung, then turn on your PC.
Use samsung pilot to check all input sources one after another, it's the [->] kind of a button

your second DVI port, the one with 4 dots near -- , will let you use a DVI to VGA adapter, it's like 1$.
You can use a VGA cable then.

>screen is busted

>Small form factor PC
Trash it.

Is there a "source" button on your monitor or is there such an option in the monitor settings?
Try manually setting the source for the HDMI port in the settings.
Also try shutting down your computer, plug the cable in and then turn it on.

There's one option too, which I've actually struggled with.
It had something to do with the cable or adapter not actually being a proper dual link cable and what I needed, was some god damn active adapter for it to work and those things are far more expensive than the normal adapters.
Might also be the case here.