Home server thread

Home server thread.

>about to order 2 more WD Red 3tb so i can put them in raid 5 or 6. which case should i buy for expandability in the HDD department?

dunno lol

>RAID is no backup
>WD Red

i am thinking fractal r5 just like my main pc, since i already got a big cage i can get 10 hdd slots. but my raid card supports 12 tho.

i take it you'd rather use seagate?

>fractal r5
You can buy HDD cages that fit in your 5.25 bays (optical drive bays).

Rosewill has a 3 x 5.25" to 4 x 3.5" cage, it wont fit on the fractal r5 because it has only 2 5.25 bays but it will on a Define XL R2.

You can fit 16 drives in a R5 if you buy extra cages. You can get them directly from their spare part store.

Why do you guys have a home server? Is it just for torrenting?

yeah i'm considering R5. if i use 5 cage i have laying around + 5 +3 that's included. then i will have enough.

teamspeak, email, plex, backup for important files etc, you want it you get it.

>nice dubs

I want to setup a very high capacity Plex server with xeon/ecc/freenas around 64tb (8x8TB). Is there anyway I can buy let's says 2-3 drives at a time and slowly integrate them into the pool?
I don't want to drop $2k on WD reds all at one time.

Currently, there's no easy way of expanding a raidz, other than destroying it and building it again, but you can always create mirrors and stripping them together, however you would only get 32Tb of usable space, a rather quick re-silvering time and great reliance, on the other hand a raidz with 8x8tb drives would be hell to re-silver and it would give you only 56 tb of space.

That's too bad, thanks for responding tho

Looks a bit like my home server user

btrfs

That's neat, though not a server board

My 1TB WD Red storage drive is the only non-solid state media in the house now. May grab a 1TB SSD this Black Friday or something. Now that I moved my backup of backups to CrashPlan and Plex to Plex Cloud, my server is running pretty lightweight on storage.

With raidz you can't easily add new drives, but you can replace existing dries with larger capacity drives and once you replace all of them rebuild the pool to be larger

Its a minor Nas, Plex, HTPC and a Network Drive machine

Pulling alot of moves.

Am1 5350, RX460, 2 SSDs and 2 4TB HDDs.
Waiting on Ryzen R3 to come out to upgrade

do it all at once, and only buy 2 drives max from the same place

What case is that?

That is a 2012 Mac mini with some industrial heatsinks slapped on with cheap thermal pads.

>finally get around to fucking with rackserver
>one of the power supplies died a few months ago

only running PLEX and transmission on it so far

>which case should i buy for expandability in the HDD department?
You are like a little babby.

HGST produces reliable drives.

>that giant bundle of ribbon cable