Explain this role without using buzzwords

Explain this role without using buzzwords

A computer administrator with programming talents?

We used to call them PERL hackers.

that guy who sits in the corner and configures jenkins plugins

It's more like Python processors these days

from a managers perspective, you fire the IT guys, and you make your developers handle operations using xyz automation tools.

JAVA EE was right.

everyone today is a hacker, even front end devs

so a devops guy is a hacker

A fate worse than death

he seems to like it

I talked to him once. He told me that object oriented design patterns were just filling in for an incomplete type system. I told him that he should try to write a python program longer than 50 lines.

Usually a SysAdmin with advanced Python & PHP skills.

sysadmin who knows how to use visualvm, strace, dtrace, gdb ... to fix up the pajeet garbage you're in charge of keeping running.

Agile code monkeys

Two jobs for the price of one.

My official job title

These three are correct IMO. I mostly do CI, configure new VPS and write tools for the devs. Also SSL certs and datasec monitoring until we get a new dedicated security guy.
You could call it systems administrator or whatever, but were going with the hip term and it does well on LinkedIn.
At least its better than 'autonomy fairy' or whatever

The guy with responsibilities for two full time positions and pay for a single one.

DELETE THIS

Er, actually DevOps is a culture, and it's not a job role.

DevOps is about taking away barriers from Development and Operations so they can work together more efficiently.

A "DevOps" Engineer is basically a System's Engineer with some ability to program. They don't have to be perfect developers.

Source: I'm a "DevOps" Engineer.

System administration using tools like chef, puppet, and ansible.

To add to that, there are too many companies that have no idea what DevOps is. They all think "TOOLING! TOOLING! TOOLING!" and "DEVELOPMENT! DEVELOPMENT! DEVELOPMENT!" and while if they thought both things at the same time they'd maybe be closer to what DevOps is, they would still miss the mark.

It's about a collaborative working environment so that devs and ops can work together effectively, and to take down the barriers between the two of the largest positions in the IT industry.

While I may disagree with people saying it's "two for one", thbey are right. Because there are so many companies that get it wrong that it is becoming what everyone thinks devops is. They think it's a two for one deal and that's not what it's about.

If you want to read and understand about DevOps, you should read Next Gen DevOps by Grant Smith, a really good book that helps to establish the idea and frameworks of what DevOps is and should be. I think it's a really good book that helps to explain what DevOps is and give some good history lessons everybody should know.

DevOps is just a buzzword to cover "highly motivated and fast working system's engineers who like to script". It's about Agile practices in operations, and a bunch of other things. I could talk about it forever but that would be really boring for all of you. There are loads of blogs out there that should give some really good information in you google "what is the true meaning of devops", or something akin to that I imagine.

I don't necessarily agree with these statements because there is a lot more to it than just that.

I don't think I've ever sat and done any of those three things for a full day on my own. You tend to do lots of different things in quick succession, in a very agile format.

domo arigato Mr. DevOppo

Hahaha, there is a such a thing as DevOps "engineer"?

DevOpps: You know a little bit about both SysAdmin and Programming, without being an expert in any.

you mean 'there are too many companies with no communication between different departments'

my company got over this with slack. it's like Sup Forums in a way, with channels for different areas

This.
t. Guy who's sitting in a corner, configuring Jenkins plugins as I post.

Whatever happened to face to face communication?

This generation just hates confrontation, everything needs to be on a screen.

do you ever thing of the WoW leeeeeroy JENKEM old joke?

These anons get it, it's just a way to make more profit.

Now that you've said it, I can't stop thinking about it.
>need to migrate jobs over to a new Jenkins server
>could just import them all, but the versions are too far apart and the plugins mismatch
>have to painstakingly copy things over one at a time, making sure no setting got dropped during the import process

describe the process in more detail, user

how's a normal work day like? is it all GUI? is it really that tedious?

You need a nice mix. Face to face for social communications and electronic for complex discussions about tech/devops that require research and monitoring for each statement made.

>"doing research" is a crutch
Nobody actually knows what the fuck they're talking about without consulting google.

I had to design an interview procedure last week and I did it all centred around google searching for information because I figured that googling constituted most of a software engineers career.

What do you think people did before the internet?
They didn't run to google.

they didn't have jobs in general tech. Any IT jobs before the internet were as mathematics researchers in universities.

I spend a lot of time in the GUI if I can get away with it, there's some essential plugins that make my work a lot easier, namely the config slicer (a limited sed tool, basically) and the job import plugin.
The import plugin does exactly what you think it does, it pulls job configs from one Jenkins and saves them in a second, but it has some quirks that I don't like, namely how it defaults some settings or disregards things if it doesn't know what to do, instead of leaving it up to me to decide.
I do ssh into the master/slave and script some work, but that's usually only when there's something I can't do from the slicer, like right now I have to convert all our svn locations to use the svn protocol instead of http. This can't be done using the slicer for whatever reason, so I'll have to go in and sed all occurrences of the first part of the URLs to match what I need. Setting up certain configs can only be done by creating files, so SSH is super necessary at times, especially for looking through logs and figuring out errors.
It's a little tedious, but honestly it's not bad work. I do some firefighting throughout the day, so this isn't the only thing I do, just what I do in my downtime.
>over 3000 jobs, many of which could be deprecated by now

admin that knows how to make a jenkins job too

Well, yes and no. I mean, there was some serious snark in my reply there.

But I've seen it often enough already - since it became a buzzword and they don't know exactly what it should mean, the first thing that happens is the PHB managers hear about it, and the bit that got through to them is "two jobs for one salary" - so while has legit things to say about what DevOps ought to be, what it should be and what it usually is unfortunately diverge quite a bit.

This misanthropy brought to you by the industry whose HR brought you such gems as "5 years of Java experience" 3 months after Java was released. The bullshit never ends, user.

> face to face contact
> with developers
> productive

Yeah pick two. A solid wiki and well regulated issuetracker/ticketing system plus Slack is great

And tyhis is why we have fuck ups. Dev and a sysadmin are separate branches.

Its like having a Cardiologist attending Gastroenterology, there are people smart and resourceful enough to be capable or doing both but that does not mean that every Cardiologist is a capable gartoenterologist and vice versa.