So how does Sup Forums feel about devuan?

So how does Sup Forums feel about devuan?
I'm thinking of switching from debian stretch to this because I don't feel like a special snowflake.
Just wanted to know if it's stable and actually worth using.

Other urls found in this thread:

git.devuan.org/sdk/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>3 years after Jessie release it's still not even out of beta.

>giving a fuck about the name. it's super stable

also, use devuan ascii (which is debian stretch)

>not using a logo that fit them more

Nothing works and it's shit.

is this true?

The distro is built without systemd, so yeah pretty much

shills out in full force i see

i was gonna try it but it doesn't appear to have a nonfree driver spin, so i can't even attempt it.

I recommend GuixSD instead.
>fsf approved, gnu sponsored
>no disgusting awful shit like systemd
>lisp hackable at every level
>os defined by a normal guile plaintext file, can be changed and updated while running with a single command
>functional package management so you literally can't fuck anything up
>previous package states and os configs saved so if you somehow manage to, you can just rollback to something you know worked
That we ever didn't do package management and operating systems like this retrospectively just seems absolutely retarded and insane.
In 5 years, you're gonna see everyone [poorly] copying what these guys are doing right now.

I'm looking for a distro to install on my laptop, but it requires non free wireless drivers.
Supposing I don't want to go with arch or gentoo, is debian my best choice?

Freedom is more important than capability, comfort, or convenience.
If your laptop absolutely must have wireless, I suggesting getting one of the Think Penguin dongles with a RYF cert.

yes, but when the price of freedom is that I cannot use the laptop for the only function I need from it, which is internet connectivity while at college, then it isn't really worth it, is it?

You're talking to someone who hasn't had a cellphone since the first Snowden leaks - I get along just fine, better than ever in fact.
Yes it is worth it - Some things are important and shouldn't be compromised.
Luckily, we exist in a world where there are things like those dongles that will allow you all the functionality you need without having to compromise anything.
Freedom is priceless.

to me it just seems unrealistic to get by normally in society like that, but it does mean that you stay true to your values.

Going back to the distros though, isn't debian all foss? I thought the only reason it wasn't fsf endorsed was because it gives you the option of installing nonfree software.

Whatever `normal society' is is disgusting and full of horrific evils and should be abandoned, nothing you should ever want or seek to be a part of.
Stock Debian should be entirely free software, but (unless I've misunderstood something) you will have to enable and install drivers from their nonfree repos.
Freedom aside, the inclusion of Systemd has made it completely unusable, and I can no longer recommend it to anyone - This from someone who used and swore by Debian for years and years, it's a terrible sadness.
And having dove head first into Guix and GuixSD, I can no longer recommend anything else - It's perfect and beautiful and everything just works and everything else just seems inviably crippled to me now.
It's the bright beautiful future of GNU, free software, and operating systems in general - Y'all need to get on board asap, can't stress this enough.

I thought that functionally, there was no difference between systemd and any other init system.

In theory maybe.
The problem is that Systemd is now trying to get it"s tendrils in everything and has far outgrow any normal bounds and functionality of an init system.
Forget the Linux GNU/Linux debate, y'all should just start calling it Systemd.

"haha I'm retarded": The Post

friendly reminder

>muh false dichotomy
#!/bin/sh
# runit run script for ssh
exec 2>&1
exec /usr/sbin/sshd -D -e

it was shit on my L420, but manjaro-openrc is good

This. This is truth.

This is propaganda.

Pic related

>using no systemd meme distros
don't

Stop posting and make PulseAudio less awful, Lennart.

>sysv
>LSB header

lad i....

I'm in the same boat.
I'm interested in a distro that allows me to plug/unplug components as I please and allows me to minimise the amount of software on my servers.
Am vaguely considering trying out a bsd.

Can I debootstrap it?

then you'd be tarded since BSDs are all about muh base systems. good luck with deviating from that.

Have fun having things fail mysteriously and spending two days figuring out that it was because you compiled package X without optional dependency Y.

Looks like the delicate snowflakes have been ordered to shill the thread

>I don't feel like a special snowflake

equivalent to apt-pinning systemd to -1.

Hey user, I'm just being honest here.

one of the devs wrote a whole framework: git.devuan.org/sdk/

and yes you can debootstrap it, just use the correct mirror