I JUST WANT A FUCKING IT JOB ALREADY

I JUST WANT A FUCKING IT JOB ALREADY

WHY DO "ENTRY LEVEL" DESKTOP SUPPORT / HELP DESK JOBS REQUIRE

>4 year degree
>3-5 years of experience in the same job

EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE LISTED AS ENTRY LEVEL/JUNIOR LEVEL POSITIONS

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

I LIVE IN NYC AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF JOB LISTINGS BUT NONE ARE ACTUALLY ENTRY LEVEL

WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO.

Ive tried Internships.com, Indeed, Dice, Craigslist, and even asked friends that are currently in an IT company. There are LITERALLY no ways to get experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6G3kQyqMFpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you apply for the job anyway you idiot

>There are LITERALLY no ways to get experience.
Internships and startups. Make one if you need to.

Stop being scared off by lol-worthy job reqiurements, OP. Submit your application anyway.

Learn what HR is and what it does.

Fucking pussy.

just apply anyway

they'll hire you anyway if they dont find anyone else

Explain

This.

My current job wanted 5+ years experience, background with software I had never used, and several other things I didn't have. Still got it, and do a better job than the guy before me who was there 6 years.

i do regardless. I even contacted a recruiter who told me the only open position for me is in Jersey but thats 4 hour commute both ways.

>startups require experience in NYC

>tfw worked at helpdesk for a year
>moving to network/infrastructure in a few months
feels good

>not having a 4 year degree and 3-5 years of experience in the same job
>being this pleb tier

agreed, I have no degree but wormed my way into a network engineer position.

get gud

Those lofty requirements are meant to scare off the meek. A confident future-asset for the company would apply anyway, simply because he loves the work.

Explain what? HR just throws shit on a wall and sees what sticks when they post IT job listings. Odds are you won't have at 25% of their listed "requirements", but you apply anyway.

No, a confident future-asset for the company (key words: FUTURE-ASSET) would apply anyway, simply because he MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS.

HR Departments are terrible places filled with horrible people. If you ever meet somebody who works in HR and they seem nice, do not trust them. They also have no idea what skills are actually needed for a given job. Apply for things even if you don't fit the requirements. If you have the capability just network and get a job based on a personal recommendation. If you're an asocial fuck-nugget like me just keep applying.

>dude just apply anyway
>HR literally throws away any resume that doesnt have X amount of experience

t. I used to work in HR

We pretty much only check for previous experience.

They do this for hb-1 visa reqs; this way they can say "see! We couldn't find anyone to meet our requirements, give us cheap indians!"

How do I lie about prior experience

If you have the same level of knowledge as would be achievable through prior experience, fabricate stories of prior experience consistent with that knowledge.

If you don't, kys brainlet

youtu.be/6G3kQyqMFpQ
About programming but still applies.

YOU used to work in HR. Not all workplaces are like that.

OP, you literally have nothing to lose by applying to these places anyway. Worse case Ontario, you end up where you're at now and can at least say you tried.

Do what everyone in the thread is saying and stop being ridiculed by HR bogus.

So like a fake project?

>tfw I can't even get hired at McDonald's because I was a NEET for 5 years

Consider yourself lucky OP at least you won't get kicked out of your apartment

>throws away resume
baka

>not using that info to decrypt their online accounts and such

Ask friends to act as your references for the bullshit experience you put down on your resume.

If you have no friends, don't worry, there are people on CL who will gladly provide references for cheap.

NOT TECHNOLOGY

HR throws away half the applications either way before even looking at them. Nobody wants to work with people that are shit out of luck.

I used to work HR as well.

We'd get a few 100 applications every job posting we'd put up.

We literally just randomly picked from the stack until someone met the requirements.

Reddit-tier humour senpai

Apply for the job anyway just as everyone else says. But along with that work on people's PCs and use that experience. In your cover letter explain what you've done in your free time fixing PCs and give a very brief story of a time you overcame a challenging incident. (Like a virus that was too good at staying in the system, or a difficult to diagnose problem).

Also if you have the means consider getting a cert of some kind. CCENT (if that's still around) is easy enough and looks professional.

We've all been entry level at some point, best of luck user.

It was actually pretty good. Kill yourself.

Another option you can do is put your resume up on indeed and companies will contact you.

I started doing this about 3 weeks ago and I got like 4 companies wanting to interview me.

no u

Just get a warehouse job. You don't even need a resume just fill out an application.

>CCENT (if that's still around) is easy enough and looks professional.
Entry level IT only requires A+ and experience with windows' office applications, printers, and OSX. Know how to fix fatfingered configs in excel, word & outlook? You're a hero, because no one is going to expect or let a green help desk guy configure network infrastructure.

what do you mean by green

networking with your prof, and through job fairs an sponsored internships is the only legit reason to go to a reputable college to lean i.t. related shit

ive done this. Its all door to door sales. Even when stating IT only.

I bet you didn't sort yourself out, sunshine
there's nothing uglier than an unemployed man
women want to tear them apart.

>Network Engineer for some ISP as first job

Get Schrekt OP.

>tfw don't want to apply to jobs that required work experience because I always end up imagining people getting angry at me for wasting their time

>as a kid always wonder why most adults are such huge fucking assholes
>learn it's because you have to lie and cheat and bullshit your way into a shitty entry level job that a trained gorilla could do

pay more attention to the starting salary, listed requirements are often completely retarded 5 YEARS MSSQL EXPERIENCE $8/HR

join the military faggot.

>the only open position for me is in Jersey but that's 4 hour commute both ways
So if you get the job, move.

> Tier 1 and 2 tech support
> government-run tertiary education
> literally no relevant degree
> literally no experience in a corporate environment
> everything is self-taught, which isn't that much
> still got the job over someone who was WAY more experienced because 'it's a client-based role, and you seemed to be more focused on helping whoever called you, you were friendlier. we can teach you whatever you don't currently know anyway'.

Just gotta go for it dude

He means a PFY

try to go for a IT call center job to get some experience. Then after a year start applying for desktop support jobs. Call centers are horrible, but hey its a start. Two years going through two jobs in IT call center. Then I got a desktop support job making a bit more money with better benefits, been a little over six months now. I do have a bachelors though, probably helped. It's IT though, it doesn't really matter, just get a cert or two.

green means inexperienced

You only looked for previous experience. Everything else got binned. Then answer me this.... did your company also put up adds that said "entry level"? Because that would be retarded, as OP said. I suppose they do this to keep costs down?

Stop applying for jobs in one of the most saturated cities in the world. Look at developing economies, compare their average wages and the quality of life/value of your money in that area. Stop wasting your time on Jew York.

this

I want to be you. I'll be done with Cisco in about a year, what did you do? IBM has a NOC not far from me and they were hiring recently. They only wanted a CS degree or relevant Certs like CCNA, figured I'd aim for something like that when I finish.

Welcome to New York City.

"Entry level" means "entry into our company" level. NOT "entry into this industry" level

That means EVERY job that's listed on CL or whatever. Derp.

Yep. They're all stupid.