Why are motherboard makers putting the m2 drive between the GPU and the motherboard? Is that even safe...

Why are motherboard makers putting the m2 drive between the GPU and the motherboard? Is that even safe? I feel like it's just going to burn out that m2 drive.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/9856/angelbird-wings-px1-m2-adapter-review-do-ssds-need-heatsinks/8
aavid.com/product-group/extrusions-na/anodize
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's there because it uses the PCI lane. Of course it's safe, why would it not be? It' safe from physical contact and uses so little power that it doesn't put out any heat. What are you imaging would damage it?

planned obsolescence

I've heard that m2 drives get very hot under regular use (maybe that is incorrect?) and under the GPU it'll have no ventilation and basically nowhere for the heat to go. My main concerns are premature wear on the drive, and throttling from overheating.

I think he meant the SSD burning from the heat coming from the GPU

Yes this too.

heat rises if anything the M.2 would heat up the GPU giving you odd readings by a few degrees.

so yeah its fucking nothing unless your a overclocker then there is nothing to worry about

>heat rises
>believing this elementary school bullshit about heat transfer
HOT AIR rises
HEAT radiates

No, that's correct. They can and do throttle due to heat.
anandtech.com/show/9856/angelbird-wings-px1-m2-adapter-review-do-ssds-need-heatsinks/8

Aha, so someone did do this kind of testing - thank you user!

I actually appreciate this post. I catch myself saying that heat rises sometimes.

PCIe physical PCB layout convenience mostly

Some put it on the edge of the board or the back but really if they want to continue to push m.2 they should have something like a compartment for it with a heat sink like a chip set fan

more like AiB cards blow air directly on them with their fains

what's wrong with sata ssd?

Just watercool your m2.
Hope you are not poor. M2 is not a game for poor boys.

nothing, it's the reddit generation wanking it to m.2 NVMe SSD or whatever they're called.

Sata 3 is still better and has no compability issues like m.2 (proprietary bullshit connector) has

6Gb/s sata was a bottleneck, ssd read speed got faster than that, had to make new connector to overcome.

bunch of fucking knobs slobbing each other here

someone run a FLIR and tell us whats what

or... some autist use an IR temp reader and painstakingly write out a heat map so we can see whats what

They can heat up like a motherfucker in heavy use.
The 960 series runs a lot cooler compared to the 950 PRO but these things will still hit the 80C mark.
I think they idle in the 50C.

KEK, so let me get this straight: they're faster for a couple of minutes but if you are actually using it they will become a housefire and throttle to below sata 3 SSD?

>samsung
>not even once

When are mobo manufacturers going to being a atx board that's actually useful like just one 16x pcie and the rest neatly spaced m2 connections

poor. you is it.

Yeah the 950 had a bit of a problem with overheating like a motherfucker.
They fixed the throttling issue with the 960 line though.

Most Z270 boards have this shit corrected, the slot is above the first x16 and below chipset.

Unfortunally gigacrap didnt understand this shit.

I have one assrock z170 with it beneath gpu, it really gets hot, but not to the throttling point, its constantly running around 65-70c, but safe as per toshiba definition.

they get hot under massive use, if you copy insane amounts of files at max speeds yes.

but its not dangerous, under normal usage you wont notice a difference.

You can solve the issue with some nigger rigging like gluing passive heatsinks but when straight beneath the gpu you cant use a tall heatsink and airflow is abismal there so its kinda useless.

Do you niggers have to shill in every thread?

m.2 is for manbabies and they don't care about physical phenomena like ""heat''''.

Heat does rise unless you kids are operating your gaymer machines in a vacuum now.

About 90% of heat transferred from a heatsink is through convection. The cooling capability of a heatsink through radiation is damn near negligble but not quite as anodizing a heatsink to increase radiation.

aavid.com/product-group/extrusions-na/anodize

Intercomponent heating due to radiation in a PC is negligible. Calculating heat transfer in a PC enclosure is a CFD problem meaning that heat does tend to rise. A high power air cooled component mounted below another air cooled component will cause an increase in heat around the other component and decrease its ability to cool itself. If possible simply changing the placement of the devices would alleviate the problem as would forced air pushing the heated air away.

Luckily for OPs scenario I don't think you can count a m.2 drive as high power in this scenario. They may get hot enough to throttle if you work them hard enough but this is due to cheap cooling.

steady state temperature rise = power * thermal resistance

The ability of a device to warm the air is proportional to just power. The GPU just puts out way too much power to notice what the SSD is doing.

Redpill me on SSD.
So I should by a regular ssd 2.5 instead of m.2?

Most decent new boards have them above the top PCIe slot and/or in the bottom right of the board. Figures that Gigabyte wouldn't, because they're a shit tier brand. Even Asus' budget Z270 boards have two M.2 slots in the proper positions.

M.2 saves a drive bay and no extra cables.

But is it faster? Slower? Does it produce more heat?

If it's NVMe it's a lot faster.

Thought it can be a sata drive which performs just as well as the 2.5 inch drives.

to be fair most sata 3 drives dont transfer at sata 3 speeds.

Their optane got booty blasted, so yes they do.

How's their AM4 BIOS going? Still bricking boards?